DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 22, 2017, 02:26:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
ATTENTION:
NO COMMERCIAL SITES OR LINKS TO COMMERCIAL SITES ALLOWED ON THIS FORUM. IF YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO SELL,
ie, CLOTHES, RECORDS, FURNTURE, ETC. DON'T DO IT HERE. THE URL WILL BE DELETED...  Mike Paladino
75137 Posts in 6941 Topics by 192 Members
Latest Member: doowopbob
* Home Help Login Register
+  DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
|-+  OT - OFF TOPIC TOPICS :-)
| |-+  Off Topic Stuff
| | |-+  Baseball Threaad (especially from the time of our youth)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Baseball Threaad (especially from the time of our youth)  (Read 16149 times)
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« on: February 05, 2017, 04:13:04 PM »

Given that Mike P.  wants all our OT posts in this section, I invite all members interested in talking about baseball from the years of our youth, to make any such posts here.  Having been raised in Canada, but spending parts of most summers with relatives in Chicago from 1951 until moving there in 1963, I was a Cubs and White Sox fan.  I followed baseball from 1951 until mid 1972, when I relocated to The Netherlands.  I paid most attention to it from 1953-1965.  I was also a fan of The Milwaukee Braves.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 10:59:42 AM by Robb_K » Logged

Mike Paladino
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2017, 04:32:22 PM »

Correct ALL OT posts belong in this category. If not, can some one explain to the board what sports or anything else has to do with  DOO-WOP and Oldies music.
I created this board years and years ago for music aficionados in the DOO-WOP or Oldies genre. If anyone wants to capitalize in sports or any other subject, that is fine but I suggest you find that board and leave here.
doctordoowop

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2017, 05:10:33 PM »

Going to  SBowl  party now.

Glad tofind this.
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2017, 05:16:45 PM »

I agree Mike.  I would like all of us who posted off topic to delete those posts, and if they want them to be moved here we'd either have to copy our own and re-order them here, which is not likely to be accomplished.  I'm afraid it's not likely that all members who made this posts won't delete them voluntarily.  In some cases, the website administrator deletes those posts, and some of them copy them and move them, en masse, to their appropriate OT threads.  But, that takes time, and we couldn't have the right to even suggest you do that, as WE were the ones who broke the rules.  It seems that IF you want those OT posts from the few recent OT hijacked and dominated threads removed, you could delete them yourself, or, if that would much of your valuable time, you could "order" us to delete them ourselves, under threat of temporary banning.  If the latter might cause bad feelings and drive some members away (and we're short of posters now), you could request that we remove those posts, and relocate them to the appropriate OT threads.  I don't mean to overstep my bounds here, and do appreciate the time (and probably money) that you put into this, that allows us this entertainment.  But, I am on the same side as you, in wanting those hijacked threads to be cleaned up.

JoeC

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2017, 05:29:12 PM »

Robb, I am happy to delete my posts. And, for what it's worth, I DON"t think they should "migrate" over to this forum. Let's start clean here so we can gauge interest!

How do you delete? Hit the little diamond-shaped thing in the lower right? Then hit cancel? Or something else? Never done before.
Mike Paladino
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2017, 11:59:34 PM »

There is delete button at the top right of the post.
JoeC

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2017, 09:38:04 AM »

Mike, sent you a PM on this.
Mike Paladino
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2017, 11:59:57 AM »

Mike, sent you a PM on this.

Message sent.
doctordoowop

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2017, 11:54:05 PM »

No  ego  here--delete  my  sports posts--BUT NOT  TONY  ORLANDO Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
JoeC

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2017, 09:41:53 AM »

Mike tells me only administrators can delete.
JoeC

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2017, 02:05:13 PM »

Doctor, those adult baseball camps with the Dodgers:

- Roger Kahn's Boys of Summer is my favorite baseball book. I'm SURE he glossed over the "warts and all" stuff like might be found in Bouton's Ball Four or Canseco's exposes. Still, its description of the glory years of the Brooklyn Dodgers just connected me to my youth so well. (Think millions of others felt the same).

- Hard to believe Snider and Reese and others lived just like any other regular Joe in Bay Ridge. Or that Erskine could be such a genuine nice guy with no ego.

- How long did it take you at your first camp to feel at ease with these guys? Who were the friendliest and most standoffish (if you don't wanna go there, I understand)? 
doctordoowop

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2017, 03:39:32 PM »

Joe--Erskine is now  90--and a true gentleman  as was   Branca.  They had a regular crew from Bklyn--Labine Snider  Erskine   Roe  and Branca.I  Began in 1990.  Campy was there. He was too sick and only was available by phone  next 2 yrs. I  Believe. 

They start Sun nite with cocktail  party.  I introduced myself to Roy and had to hold back the tears.  That's wen he told me about David   Campanella.

They mixed  in LA guys--Monday, Smith,  Garveey, Cey,  Lopes, Russell.

Guys from Vero would come  by--Koufax, Abrams.

Johnstone and Yeager were great.   Cey not too  warm. Garvey a bit better.

They get graded --if no   good  not invited back.  --eg Willie Davis,  Loes. Altho i liked Loes. 

As could be expected   many collectors--go crazy  with their autograhs etc.   Usually  4 teams-- 50-60  campers  . Game or 2  /day dinner nite.

Cost about $4k--players  get about that plus  food, air fare etc.  Most see it like reunion.    I'l l  discuss it more  next post.
doctordoowop

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2017, 11:10:16 PM »

These  camps started  in   1983-84.  Cubs had 1st  one Now all  do.   I knew about  it  for a couple yrs --kept asking ??of guys Iknew whowent--my ??  was--Dou get treated  like a peer  or  autograph crazy fan. Got rave reviews so  went.   

There wasa hardballrevival in us  in 1980 or so. Started  I believe on LI.  Some  leagues  have  tobe over 40, 50,58 etc.  So allthe softballguys  changed.
JoeC

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2017, 11:24:28 PM »

I never was an autograph collector. Occasionally, when baseball card shows were at their peak in the late 80s and 90s, I'd be in a mall and you'd see a guy like Monte Irvin just sitting there alone, no one coming up to him. Kids didn't know who he was.

Then, at the big card shows in those "exposition halls," you'd have Mays, DiMaggio, etc who were paid a nice bump to be there and then got a fee for items (like bats) that they signed. An IRS nightmare as all cash. Had a friend who went to those big time shows. Was turned off by how those superstars just kept their heads down, no chit chat, move along, and out the back door to the limo to the airport. People stood in line for hours. I can see both sides.
doctordoowop

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2017, 11:27:01 PM »

So now good hs  or college players  don't have to play softball in  30s-40s.

Have to  be 30 to  go  to camps.

Can also   get  inside  dope on famous people who   go.  Played with Bryan Cranston--good SS.  John Ritter-terrible. tim hauser--fair.Spike Lee-ok
JoeC

« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2017, 09:13:02 AM »

What was average age attending? Oldest guy (non-player)? No, I'm not thinking of going! Just wondering.
doctordoowop

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2017, 07:51:13 PM »

Most guys(plus few  females)  start   40+.   Then keep  going if like  it.Herbie Lewis--played to 90.  Most   in 30s  need  $4k  for  other  thhings.

Interesting  to  see up  close and  personal  Lee, Ritter, Cranston,Hauser  etc.   I'll  give my anaysis  later.

The  only  autographs I  got were  on items--pix  etc that I got  there. Some guys there  were among top  couple  Dodger  collectors--Mantle collectors etc.

Where I met Sal LaRocca--the bouncer from Pepp Lounge.

Being from  LA area the campers here   have a  local  league.
JoeC

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2017, 08:00:48 PM »

Dodgers gave up Vero Beach didn't they? Where do they train now?
doctordoowop

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2017, 09:10:59 PM »

Yes--sold Vero  to  some business in Fl. /city/county etc. Still used   for conventions etc.

Now in  Glendale Az--I believe--share  withh White  sox. They still are  trying to get  camps going there--not too successfully I hear.

Cranston--very  nice guy.   Ritter--silly. Refused to shower  in locker room  went back to  private room.

Hauser--nice guy.LOVES doo wop.  RIP

Lee--no  good.  I was wearing a Ravens T shirt--he asked me who  they were --said he started  with  Teenagers.

He was there mainly to   interview  BKlyn  guys who played  with jackie.  was  planning on  doing  a movie like "42. " To  come  out in 1997--50th anniverasary  of Jackie.

Rachel  Robinson   said no as did MLB--afraid he would be too  racist.  Good  decision
JoeC

« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2017, 09:30:44 PM »

Yes--sold Vero  to  some business in Fl. /city/county etc. Still used   for conventions etc.

Now in  Glendale Az--I believe--share  withh White  sox. They still are  trying to get  camps going there--not too successfully I hear.

Cranston--very  nice guy.   Ritter--silly. Refused to shower  in locker room  went back to  private room.

Hauser--nice guy.LOVES doo wop.  RIP

Lee--no  good.  I was wearing a Ravens T shirt--he asked me who  they were --said he started  with  Teenagers.

He was there mainly to   interview  BKlyn  guys who played  with jackie.  was  planning on  doing  a movie like "42. " To  come  out in 1997--50th anniverasary  of Jackie.

Rachel  Robinson   said no as did MLB--afraid he would be too  racist.  Good  decision

Cranston is one hell of an actor (not just based on Breaking Bad). A REAL talent! Glad to hear he's a good guy too.

Glendale and the whole west side of Phoenix, UGH!! Too bad they couldn't get Scottsdale or an East Valley site. Or Tucson.

Like most fans, I've seen a ton of interviews, movies, read books, etc about Jackie. I came away with two major takeaways beyond his undeniable athletic talent: (1) Jackie was a very complex personality, many good, some hard to take traits;  and (2) Rachel was a genuine heroine who did more for Jackie's success than anyone will really ever know. Epitome of strong woman.
doctordoowop

« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2017, 09:36:53 PM »

Rite Joe--  now ALL teams nr Phoenix.  White Sox  used to train in Tucson w/DBacks. Now  NO  teams in Tucson.

You're  right about  Rachel--never met her  --but very  helpful  to Jack.

Like Roxy campanella  who married Roy after his accident.  Very  caring lady. But she did sell allRoys memorabilia. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
JoeC

« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2017, 09:43:23 PM »

Rite Joe--  now ALL teams nr Phoenix.  White Sox  used to train in Tucson w/DBacks. Now  NO  teams in Tucson.

You're  right about  Rachel--never met her  --but very  helpful  to Jack.

Like Roxy campanella  who married Roy after his accident.  Very  caring lady. But she did sell allRoys memorabilia. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

You don't say, about Tucson. Indians trained there forever.

As for Roy, wonder what his financial situation was like? I mean, even big stars like him weren't paid all that much back in the 50s. Did the Dodgers employ him all those years? Polar opposite in terms of personality from Jackie.
doctordoowop

« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2017, 10:08:06 PM »

Probably--not great. Pension--wat was in  60s -70s?

I do  recall a TV  show  Campy's Corner--maybe  late 50s  for yr or so.

Roy  could  not sign--otherwise would have been at all autograph shows. 

Heard  a fan handed Mays a black pen--Mays intentionaly used a blue pen.

Those autugraph seekers are nuts. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
JoeC

« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2017, 10:19:54 PM »

Probably--not great. Pension--wat was in  60s -70s?

I do  recall a TV  show  Campy's Corner--maybe  late 50s  for yr or so.

Roy  could  not sign--otherwise would have been at all autograph shows. 

Heard  a fan handed Mays a black pen--Mays intentionaly used a blue pen.

Those autugraph seekers are nuts. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Campy's Corner -- had forgotten about that show until you mentioned. Happy Felton never did it for me.

Willie had a prickly personality, especially after his on the field career. Lotta built up resentment with Jackie, Willie and Frank Robinson, Great HoFers all. Not so much with the Campy's, Larry Doby's, Hank Aaron's, Monte Irvin's,etc. Newcombe was the opposite of Willie; mellowed out as he aged (but have to factor his drinking problem in his case).
doctordoowop

« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2017, 11:49:52 PM »

Rite--there  is  one felton  on kinescope. The guy  Doak Ewing  sells it  in Evansville. reese  and robinson.  Great to see them with  kids.

Heard  Mays  was upset in SF--not as popular as Cepeda,then McCovey.   Once went to  LAX to pick  up  Pookie Hudson.  Mays was on flight. Before 9-11 could meet as they got off plane. Willie  ignored the crowd.

Interesting  wat went on in the 50s --60s. remember  Rocky Marciano's TV show. Was big boxing fan with pop. Wed  nite  Pabst  from Chicago, Fri nite MSG  with Jimmy Powers. Those were announced  on  radio by Dunphy  and Win Elliot  as sidekick.

Mon nite was st nicholas  or sunnyside gardens

JoeC

« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2017, 09:32:27 AM »

Wonder if Pookie and Mays knew who the other was. I doubt it (esp Mays knowing Pookie).

Boxing, oh man. What a golden era. Loved Carmen Basilio, about as tough as they come. Back in the 50s I could names 20+ fighters, now -- next to none.
JoeC

« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2017, 02:04:04 PM »

Brooklyn Mike said on hockey thread: "I think a recent article said Ausmus is currently team manager for Israel in the WBC, and Shawn Green & Gabe Kapler are currently player-coaches (or coaches only - don't recall). I think I also saw where Ike currently has a minor league contract wit the standard spring training invite from one of the MLB squads."

When I think of Jewish ballplayers, I think of Hank Greenberg and Moe Berg. Hank's been mentioned often, but has Moe? Graduated from Princeton and Columbia Law, played for a half dozen teams before WWII, and ended up working for the CIA-predecessor, the OSS, as a spy.
Doowopdummy
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2017, 02:39:37 PM »

Eddie Mathews was at a baseball card show here in Seattle many moons ago and was able to talk to him and get his autograph.  Nice man to talk to.  I'm not an autograph seeker but since Eddie is my all time favorite player I took my Hall Of Fame book and had him sign it.  Only other autograph I have is from the country duet Jim Ed Brown & Helen Cornelius when we saw them in Pigeon Forge several years ago, really nice people.
JoeC

« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2017, 05:51:51 PM »

Eddie Mathews was at a baseball card show here in Seattle many moons ago and was able to talk to him and get his autograph.  Nice man to talk to.  I'm not an autograph seeker but since Eddie is my all time favorite player I took my Hall Of Fame book and had him sign it.  Only other autograph I have is from the country duet Jim Ed Brown & Helen Cornelius when we saw them in Pigeon Forge several years ago, really nice people.

I was into baseball cards when I was a kid. Had the entire 1954 Bowman series of baseball cards (the ones framed in TV sets, and featuring the umpires too). My mom never threw them out, and they were all in verey good shape.

Many of my friends would take their baseball cards to Yankee Stadium or the Polo Grounds or Ebbets to try to get autographs on them. Glad I didn't because when I sold the set for a couple grand 15+ years ago, the dealer told me if any were autographed, they'd lose significant value. Collectors considered it a "mar" just like writing on a 45 rpm collectable record. I'm sure a card autographed by a HoFer would still have been worth a lot but ... in a different market!
doctordoowop

« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2017, 08:17:02 PM »

Loved basilio  too. Loved his fites with  Robinson. 

Was on a great special  with Bert Sugar  and Brian Kenney--ESPN.  BTW, Kenney from Levittown
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: