DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 17, 2017, 11:31:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
ATTENTION:
NO COMMERCIAL SITES OR LINKS TO COMMERCIAL SITES ALLOWED ON THIS FORUM. IF YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO SELL,
ie, CLOTHES, RECORDS, FURNTURE, ETC. DON'T DO IT HERE. THE URL WILL BE DELETED...  Mike Paladino
75103 Posts in 6940 Topics by 192 Members
Latest Member: doowopbob
* Home Help Login Register
+  DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
|-+  OT - OFF TOPIC TOPICS :-)
| |-+  Off Topic Stuff
| | |-+  Baseball Threaad (especially from the time of our youth)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Baseball Threaad (especially from the time of our youth)  (Read 15534 times)
JoeC

« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2017, 08:32:13 PM »

Loved to hear Bert Sugar talk, about anything. A real renaissance man. Boxing was his best topic, though.

I'm an old school guy like Chris Russo when it comes to the Sabermetrics stuff that Brian Kenny specializes in. Read his book. Very logical and convincing but that "science" is not for me. Mad Dog, btw, was born in Syosset, lived there until age 15. Went to Syosset Junior High, then St. Paul's in Garden City for two years, then to an upstate boarding school.
doctordoowop

« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2017, 08:45:29 PM »

Father,Italian from BKLYN,  mom British.  Dont have SIRIUS  now.   Is still  on ESPN?  Like his  TV show yrs ago w/Francesa. -From  LB LI.

Siuger  I recall  was a collector--BB cards?

Now there 's another mad dog in the news.
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2017, 09:00:36 PM »

Brooklyn Mike said on hockey thread: "I think a recent article said Ausmus is currently team manager for Israel in the WBC, and Shawn Green & Gabe Kapler are currently player-coaches (or coaches only - don't recall). I think I also saw where Ike currently has a minor league contract wit the standard spring training invite from one of the MLB squads."

When I think of Jewish ballplayers, I think of Hank Greenberg and Moe Berg. Hank's been mentioned often, but has Moe? Graduated from Princeton and Columbia Law, played for a half dozen teams before WWII, and ended up working for the CIA-predecessor, the OSS, as a spy.
I mentioned him in the OT thread that spawned this new OT Forum Section, and also mentioned that he had been a spy for The US during WWII.  I guess his fluent Yiddish was invaluable allowing him to be able to read and understand German.

doctordoowop

« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2017, 09:14:46 PM »

Joe what did boxer Ted Lowry  do? No cheating.  Nobody else did it.
JoeC

« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2017, 09:18:41 PM »

Father,Italian from BKLYN,  mom British.  Dont have SIRIUS  now.   Is still  on ESPN?  Like his  TV show yrs ago w/Francesa. -From  LB LI.

Siuger  I recall  was a collector--BB cards?

Now there 's another mad dog in the news.

Russo is on TV every day from 1-2 pm EST on the MLB Network (where Kenney also hangs out). Russo's show is called "High Heat."  Don't know what PST start time might be. Voice is as grating as ever.
doctordoowop

« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2017, 09:20:34 PM »

Hedy Lamarr--most beautiful  facially  have ever seen. Hedwig Kiesler--Jewish from  Austria   Invented all  sorts of stuf  for WWf.  Radio  controlled  toepedos ,,  frequency hopping which helped advent of cellphones.

Groucho  had a great line about Hedy wen asked his  opinion of  "Samson & Delilah. " I don't  like movies wen the male  star (Mature) has bigger breasts than the female-"-Hedy. Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
JoeC

« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2017, 09:21:29 PM »

Brooklyn Mike said on hockey thread: "I think a recent article said Ausmus is currently team manager for Israel in the WBC, and Shawn Green & Gabe Kapler are currently player-coaches (or coaches only - don't recall). I think I also saw where Ike currently has a minor league contract wit the standard spring training invite from one of the MLB squads."

When I think of Jewish ballplayers, I think of Hank Greenberg and Moe Berg. Hank's been mentioned often, but has Moe? Graduated from Princeton and Columbia Law, played for a half dozen teams before WWII, and ended up working for the CIA-predecessor, the OSS, as a spy.
I mentioned him in the OT thread that spawned this new OT Forum Section, and also mentioned that he had been a spy for The US during WWII.  I guess his fluent Yiddish was invaluable allowing him to be able to read and understand German.

Yes you did, Robb. My apologies. Retention ain't what it used to be. Casey Stengel called Berg the "weirdest guy in baseball." Not sure why but a guess would be that Berg was on a whole other level intellectually from his baseball peers back then.
doctordoowop

« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2017, 09:21:59 PM »

High heat on  at nite 11-12--in CA.
JoeC

« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2017, 09:23:20 PM »

Joe what did boxer Ted Lowry  do? No cheating.  Nobody else did it.

Don't know the name. Should I be ashamed of myself?
JoeC

« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2017, 09:25:33 PM »

High heat on  at nite 11-12--in CA.

That's odd, especially with Sirius making him less regional. Gotta be a ratings killer. Shaking my head. 1 pm in the east, 11 pm in the west???
doctordoowop

« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2017, 09:59:05 PM »

Let me investigate further. 

No I didn't  know  either until  told by boxing nut friend.  Lowry  --believe lite black from Connecticut?--  went ten rounds TWICE with Rocky--never knocked out--and did it twice.

Amazing he is  not  better known.  Guess he never  got a title shot.

You know styles make  fites as they  used to say.
bklynmike101

« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2017, 02:15:41 AM »

Most obscure Jewish baseball player - that I actually met (also the only one I've ever met) - introduced to me by my dad - one Bob Berman. This would have been in the 1970's. Claimed to have caught Walter Johnson with the Washington Senators. Told stories about The Big Train and Ty Cobb. Much to my surprise, my post-meeting research confirmed it was true. Berman appeared in exactly two games for the 1918 Washington Senators. I remember him telling me he had gone on to be a school teacher in the NYC public school system, primarily with Franklin K. Lane HS, a well-known school locally. It seems that my dad had run into him in our building complex in Rockaway Beach where we all lived at the time, and became his friend/acquaintance.
doctordoowop

« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2017, 03:05:30 AM »

Franklin K lane-near     Kings Cty  Hosp.   Home of Hawkins(Boys)  nemesis  Roger Brown.
JoeC

« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2017, 09:35:23 AM »

Spoke once with Richie Havens when he was playing a club in DC where I worked P/T on the door (back in 1967-8). He went to Lane. He also sang some doowop there. This was a couple years before Woodstock appearance as opening act.
doctordoowop

« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2017, 01:25:17 PM »

Never saw wat peope liked  about Havens.

Guess  folkstyle--60s hippies.
JoeC

« Reply #45 on: February 11, 2017, 01:39:59 PM »

Never saw wat peope liked  about Havens.

Guess  folkstyle--60s hippies.

I didn't either. That open guitar tuning and fast strumming got monotonous, fast. Still, didn't stop me from chatting with him during a set break!

Shoulda used Bert Sommer footage in Woodstock movie instead of Havens (if they wanted to try to "break" a new artist).
doctordoowop

« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2017, 06:50:51 PM »

Who  is Summer?

Havens was  helped  by being in NYC  nr Fillmore east etc.
JoeC

« Reply #47 on: February 11, 2017, 07:50:07 PM »

Who  is Summer?

Havens was  helped  by being in NYC  nr Fillmore east etc.

Bert Sommer was a former member of the baroque rock group, The Left Banke. They had the 1966-67 hits, "Walk Away, Renee," and "Pretty Ballerina." Reportedly, Sommer got the only standing ovation at Woodstock in '69. His song below was squeezed out of the film in the very last cut. Big potential career folded. Pretty boy hippie type from Albany who also was in original "Hair" on B'way. Died young.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pB1pV8zRVaw
JoeC

« Reply #48 on: February 11, 2017, 08:09:47 PM »

Back to baseball. Short clip of former Dodgers great, Roy Campanella, eight months after the car crash that left him disabled for the rest of his life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDSo8UMcFqk
doctordoowop

« Reply #49 on: February 11, 2017, 11:50:31 PM »

Was  he the Group  member busted with a truk  of weed?
JoeC

« Reply #50 on: February 12, 2017, 01:33:59 PM »

Most underrated ChiSox player in the 1950s (team and era I followed closely) has to be Catcher Sherm Lollar.

Fine offensive player who made himself into a Gold Glove catcher (well, Paul Richards surely helped there). He almost never struck out, hit with a lot of power (even in that cavern they called Comiskey Park). Had a better career on base percentage than Yogi, who he was always overshadowed by.

Died in his early 50s I think.
bklynmike101

« Reply #51 on: February 12, 2017, 03:12:34 PM »

I remember Sherm Lollar well. Part of the '59 go-go White Sox with Klu/Torgeson on 1B, N Fox at 2B, Aparicio at SS, Turk Lown, Billy Pierce, Early Wynn, Al Smith, Jerry Staley, etc.

Lollar's 1960 Topps card had a red panelled bottom.

All that from top of head. Cheated and looked up the fact that he did indeed die in his early 50's - listed as cancer. 
doctordoowop

« Reply #52 on: February 12, 2017, 04:56:32 PM »

Led  league in hit into DPs ,rite?    And  Jensen.

Forgotten man. 3B  on 59 sos--Bubba Phillips
JoeC

« Reply #53 on: February 12, 2017, 06:30:30 PM »

3B was the weak position link on that team, if I recall. Think maybe Sammy Esposito and Gene Freese may even have played some games there in '59. In addition to Phillips I guess.
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #54 on: February 12, 2017, 07:01:24 PM »

3B was the weak position link on that team, if I recall. Think maybe Sammy Esposito and Gene Freese may even have played some games there in '59. In addition to Phillips I guess.
That's right.  They had Al Smith there for one year , Gene Freese, George Kell, Bob Elliott, Cass Michaels. Sammy Esposito, Freddie Hatfield, Billy Goodman, Ray Boone, Bubba Phillips and others.  It was a mess.  They never did solidify it.  They had Fox at 2nd, and Aparicio at short for a long time, and Lollar at catcher, Minoso, and Rivera in the outfield.  First base was also a revolving door, just like 3rd (Eddie Robinson, Ferris Fain, Walt Dropo, Earl Torgeson, Ray Boone, Roy Sievers)

JoeC

« Reply #55 on: February 12, 2017, 07:20:24 PM »

If Yogi had been a right-handed batter and Lollar a left-handed hitter, those careers might've been switched. Yanks had them both but decided to keep Berra due to short right field porch at Yankee Stadium.
Doowopdummy
« Reply #56 on: February 12, 2017, 07:39:07 PM »

A good place to get info is baseball reference.com.  Not only individual but team stats from each year.
doctordoowop

« Reply #57 on: February 12, 2017, 08:57:52 PM »

Dont forget Jim  landis--CF  and Mcanany_RF

Was  bob shaw  P--mentioned?
Doowopdummy
« Reply #58 on: February 12, 2017, 09:23:24 PM »

Jim Landis really good outfielder.
JoeC

« Reply #59 on: February 12, 2017, 09:27:11 PM »

Jim Landis really good outfielder.

A lot of tools but hitting wasn't one of them.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: