DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2018, 11:33:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
ATTENTION:
NO COMMERCIAL SITES OR LINKS TO COMMERCIAL SITES ALLOWED ON THIS FORUM. IF YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO SELL,
ie, CLOTHES, RECORDS, FURNTURE, ETC. DON'T DO IT HERE. THE URL WILL BE DELETED...  Mike Paladino
78878 Posts in 7083 Topics by 95 Members
Latest Member: doctordoowop
* Home Help Login Register
+  DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
|-+  OT - OFF TOPIC TOPICS :-)
| |-+  Off Topic Stuff
| | |-+  Baseball Threaad (especially from the time of our youth)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Baseball Threaad (especially from the time of our youth)  (Read 71712 times)
JoeC

« Reply #630 on: October 04, 2018, 04:04:50 PM »

Joe--are u  eating  the same food as Robb?   You are  Robb Jr. Grin Grin Grin Grin

I collected and read the backs of 50s baseball cards for YEARS! You learned a lot of names and team associations. Why my lists were generally so weak on pre-1948 players. I'm sure the list of players is MANY times greater than the 2 names I came up with for STL and Philly. I knew more Chicago names because I followed the White Sox closely throughout the 50s, my favorite player in baseball being Nellie Fox.
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #631 on: October 04, 2018, 08:43:56 PM »

All I got!

Cubs and White Sox players

Sammy Sosa
Johnny Callison
Smoky Burgess
Steve Stone
Donnie Kessinger
Phil Cavaretta

Cardinals and Browns players

Rogers Hornsby
Marty Marion

Phillies and Athletics Players

Skeeter Newsome
Elmer Valo

Good job.  What about Dave Philley for A's and Phils, and Nap Lajoie, Bill Bernhard, Dave Fultz, and Chick Fraser, for that matter?  Jim Bottemly, Max Lanier, Joe Sugden, Jesse Burkett, Bobby Wallace, Dick Padden, Red Donahue, and Jack Powell for The Cards and Browns?  And Clark Griffith, Turk Lown, Frank Isbell, Sam Mertes, Dummy Hoy, and Nixey Callahan, for The Cubs and Sox? And Cy Young, Cleveland Spiders (NL), Cleveland Blues(later Indians) (AL), and Nig Cuppy, Bill Dineen, Ted Lewis, Jimmy Collins, Chick Stahl, and Freddy Parent,  for The (NL)Braves(Red Stockings?), and (AL)Red Sox (Pilgrims?), and NL Baltimore Orioles, and AL Baltimore Orioles: John McGraw, Bill Keister, Wilbert Robinson, Joe Kelley, Steve Brodie, Dan McGann, Jimmy Sheckard, Joe McGinnity, Jerry Nops, and Harry Howell?  And how about Frank Foreman, who played for The Baltimore Orioles of The major league American Association during The 1880s, and The NL Baltimore Orioles during The 1890s, and The AL Baltimore Orioles during The 1900s?  And Jimmy McAleer, who played for The Cleveland Spiders of The NL during the 1880s and 1890s, Cleveland's Players' League team in 1890, and The AL's Cleveland Blues during The 1900s (as player/manager)?
« Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 09:53:52 PM by Robb_K » Logged

doctordoowop

« Reply #632 on: October 05, 2018, 01:14:39 AM »

WOW--just looked  it up.  Yelich is from  Thousand Oaks  went to  Westlake high-

He  homered tonite.
JoeC

« Reply #633 on: October 05, 2018, 09:14:00 AM »

WOW--just looked  it up.  Yelich is from  Thousand Oaks  went to  Westlake high-

He  homered tonite.

I've got a Freshman and Senior grandson at Westlake HS right now.  Mike Lieberthal, long-time Phillies Catcher back in the 90s/early 00s went to Westlake too. Yelich is great!
JoeC

« Reply #634 on: October 05, 2018, 09:22:07 AM »

Good job.  What about Dave Philley for A's and Phils, and Nap Lajoie, Bill Bernhard, Dave Fultz, and Chick Fraser, for that matter?  Jim Bottemly, Max Lanier, Joe Sugden, Jesse Burkett, Bobby Wallace, Dick Padden, Red Donahue, and Jack Powell for The Cards and Browns?  And Clark Griffith, Turk Lown, Frank Isbell, Sam Mertes, Dummy Hoy, and Nixey Callahan, for The Cubs and Sox? And Cy Young, Cleveland Spiders (NL), Cleveland Blues(later Indians) (AL), and Nig Cuppy, Bill Dineen, Ted Lewis, Jimmy Collins, Chick Stahl, and Freddy Parent,  for The (NL)Braves(Red Stockings?), and (AL)Red Sox (Pilgrims?), and NL Baltimore Orioles, and AL Baltimore Orioles: John McGraw, Bill Keister, Wilbert Robinson, Joe Kelley, Steve Brodie, Dan McGann, Jimmy Sheckard, Joe McGinnity, Jerry Nops, and Harry Howell?  And how about Frank Foreman, who played for The Baltimore Orioles of The major league American Association during The 1880s, and The NL Baltimore Orioles during The 1890s, and The AL Baltimore Orioles during The 1900s?  And Jimmy McAleer, who played for The Cleveland Spiders of The NL during the 1880s and 1890s, Cleveland's Players' League team in 1890, and The AL's Cleveland Blues during The 1900s (as player/manager)?

Robb, have to admit that I don't know 95% of those names. And, the 5% I knew like Clark Griffith and Nap Lajoie and vaguely Bottomley and Lanier were from the Ken Burns documentary series. I still couldn't have told you which team(s) they played for.  Of course, I knew Dave Philley and Turk Lown from the 50s -- just missed them.   
doctordoowop

« Reply #635 on: October 05, 2018, 04:32:37 PM »

Amazing Yelich was a bit underthe radar--when Jeter dumped salary--Stanton & guy sent  Cardinals were mentioned--never Yelich!
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #636 on: October 05, 2018, 09:12:02 PM »

Robb, have to admit that I don't know 95% of those names. And, the 5% I knew like Clark Griffith and Nap Lajoie and vaguely Bottomley and Lanier were from the Ken Burns documentary series. I still couldn't have told you which team(s) they played for.  Of course, I knew Dave Philley and Turk Lown from the 50s -- just missed them.   

I think we've listed enough to move on to my 3rd Baseball Quiz (although, I'm sure there were many, many more players that crossed the road to play with a city's rival team).

doctordoowop

« Reply #637 on: October 05, 2018, 11:36:28 PM »

Joe--Stanton--3 more ks tonite--sometimes misses  by  2-3 feet--takes  pitches  right down the middle.   He need to see an eye dr-seriously.
JoeC

« Reply #638 on: October 06, 2018, 08:36:30 AM »

Joe--Stanton--3 more ks tonite--sometimes misses  by  2-3 feet--takes  pitches  right down the middle.   He need to see an eye dr-seriously.

Still thinks Yanks win in Game 5. Red Sox relievers are not good. Sox Starters (like the Yanks) are inconsistent. Can be excellent one game and shelled early the next. Dodgers and Brewers are impressing right now and Astros are doing their thing. Bud Black did a great job keeping Rockies close to the top of that Division all year but talent disparity shows now, especially away from Coors (as always)!
doctordoowop

« Reply #639 on: October 07, 2018, 03:55:04 PM »

Stanton--never seen  a guy hit so many infield dribblers. 

Sanchez---WOW  479  ft.   1st  time i saw him interviewed  surprised he used interpreter. He's got to be the  lightest  skinned  Dominican  I've ever seen.[And I've ben to  his hometown  ---Santo Domingo.]    Had thot he was  P Rican.

Gregorious  isa trip--born in Netherland?
JoeC

« Reply #640 on: October 07, 2018, 07:49:24 PM »

Stanton--never seen  a guy hit so many infield dribblers. 

Sanchez---WOW  479  ft.   1st  time i saw him interviewed  surprised he used interpreter. He's got to be the  lightest  skinned  Dominican  I've ever seen.[And I've ben to  his hometown  ---Santo Domingo.]    Had thot he was  P Rican.

Gregorious  isa trip--born in Netherland?

Born in Amsterdam, raised in Curacao. Reds and Dbacks must have been crazy when they let him go.
bklynmike101

« Reply #641 on: October 08, 2018, 11:28:04 AM »

I've heard Sanchez do a brief interview in English and he handled himself just fine. I've observed several Hispanic ballplayers that sometimes conduct interviews in Spanish and sometimes in English, for whatever reasons.
doctordoowop

« Reply #642 on: October 09, 2018, 01:36:30 PM »

Just easier with interp.  No "misquotations"  Andujar uses both- as does other rookiie fromDominican.  Glabor torres.
doctordoowop

« Reply #643 on: October 10, 2018, 09:29:44 PM »

More Stanton--he looked  worse  than  me  in trying to hit  a slider  last nite.   He is great in BP  or HR  derby--but?
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: