DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 26, 2017, 04:14:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
ATTENTION:
NO COMMERCIAL SITES OR LINKS TO COMMERCIAL SITES ALLOWED ON THIS FORUM. IF YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO SELL,
ie, CLOTHES, RECORDS, FURNTURE, ETC. DON'T DO IT HERE. THE URL WILL BE DELETED...  Mike Paladino
71201 Posts in 6776 Topics by 191 Members
Latest Member: Jimmy C.
* Home Help Login Register
+  DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
|-+  OT - OFF TOPIC TOPICS :-)
| |-+  Off Topic Stuff
| | |-+  Baseball Threaad (especially from the time of our youth)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Baseball Threaad (especially from the time of our youth)  (Read 1670 times)
doctordoowop

« Reply #150 on: March 12, 2017, 05:01:18 PM »

Thanx  soulful.   

But the worst  MOVE  ever  (besides Ruth)    was   Portland   TB  drafting  Sam Bowie  ahead  of  Jordan  (and Alajawan)

And Dr Jack Ramsay  never caught much  flak.
soulfuljakazz
« Reply #151 on: March 12, 2017, 05:56:29 PM »

In defense of Sam Bowie (5 words I thought I'd never put together), if he had stayed healthy, he might have made a much bigger impact. As it stands though, it has become a legendary blunder on the part of the Portland Trailblazers.
doctordoowop

« Reply #152 on: March 12, 2017, 07:19:42 PM »

But Bowie  had a bad   history of injuries in college,rite?

MJ  did turn out better  than  initially thot,  but he had  to  share the ball with  Perkins and    Worthy.  He had  a good line:  after he made the winning  shot as freshman against  Georgetown  I  believe--"that's wen   I became Michael  instead of Mike."

Westbrook  is going to average  a triple double--and there are about 25 more  posssessions today  than in Oscar's day.

A joke  --Nowitzki  closing in on  Wilt Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

doctordoowop

« Reply #153 on: March 13, 2017, 08:34:26 PM »

Joe--Next  Dodger camp--Nov  13-19. Coaches will  be  Monday, Torberg,  Russell, Reuss,  Yeager,  Randle  (dont get him angry), Rick Reichardt(I thot he was killed in car accident)  and possibly  Fergie Jenkins.

Got  $5 or 6 K?

BTW,  Reuss put out a 45  price guide--too  many  errors  but  interesting  a guy  from Stl   born about 1960  would do that.
JoeC

« Reply #154 on: March 13, 2017, 09:49:20 PM »

Rick Reichardt?? Didn't know he was ever a Dodger. Always think of him as an Angel.

Where do they hold the camp now? Those guys are all too recent for me.
doctordoowop

« Reply #155 on: March 13, 2017, 11:00:59 PM »

Correct--no more  Brooklyn guys.  Randle--from LA,  but not  a Dodger nor was Jenkins.   Torberg  nice guy--caught   Koufax  NO_NO  and I think Bill   Singer.

Camp is  now where  Dodgers/White Sox  train.  Glendale?  Not sure  which Phoenix  Western   suburb.
JoeC

« Reply #156 on: March 18, 2017, 09:57:46 PM »

Dr, sure do recall HR Derby. In fact, all the episodes were re-shown on the MLB Network about a year ago.

Where exactly was Wrigley Field? Near the LA Coliseum? I remember the expansion Angels played there in 1961 or 1962. Why didn't the Dodgers instead of the Coliseum? Too small?

Who played at Wrigley before the Dodgers/Angels arrived? The Hollywood Stars had a park in the Fairfax district if I recall Joe D's biography. Maybe LA had two PCL teams? Interesting too that some PCL players made more than they would have in the AL or NL -- veterans who reused "call ups" coz it woulda meant a pay cut. Sorta makes sense if you think about no teams wesr of St Louis and the big Cali cities.
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #157 on: March 18, 2017, 10:37:54 PM »

Dr, sure do recall HR Derby. In fact, all the episodes were re-shown on the MLB Network about a year ago.

Where exactly was Wrigley Field? Near the LA Coliseum? I remember the expansion Angels played there in 1961 or 1962. Why didn't the Dodgers instead of the Coliseum? Too small?

Who played at Wrigley before the Dodgers/Angels arrived? The Hollywood Stars had a park in the Fairfax district if I recall Joe D's biography. Maybe LA had two PCL teams? Interesting too that some PCL players made more than they would have in the AL or NL -- veterans who reused "call ups" coz it woulda meant a pay cut. Sorta makes sense if you think about no teams west of St Louis and the big Cali cities.

Wrigley Field was located on The Near East Side (SouthEast), at 425 E. 42nd Place.  The Coliseum was on Santa Barbara Avenue (Now, Martin Luther King. Jr. Blvd.) near Vermont Avenue (West).  It's about 4-5 miles west of where Wrigley was, in the heart of South L.A.  Wrigley was near South Central, which was a mixed area, but not all Black Ghetto until the late 1940s.  It was originally an industrial area that housed a lot of factory workers in their own small bungalow cottages.  400 East is near San Pedro Street, a bit west of South Central.  Yes, Wrigley Field only fit 20,400 in 1961 for The A.L. L.A. Angeles.  It had 22,500 at it's largest (smaller seats?) from 1925-1940s.  Yes, L.A. had two P.C.L. Teams.  The Hollywood Stars played in Gilmore Field, near The Pan Pacific Auditorium between West Hollywood and The Fairfax District.  They were mostly a farm team of The Pittsburgh Pirates, while The Angels were owned by The Cubs.  There was a 3rd Wrigley Field on Catalina Island, in Avalon, where The Cubs trained. 

I saw a few games at both Wrigley and Gilmore, while my family was visiting relatives there during the early '50s.  I remember The Angels having a lumbering slugging first baseman, Steve Bilko, who hit tonnes of home runs (he played a few whole seasons with The Cardinals and Cubs).  The Cubs and Pirates were, by far, the worst 2 N.L. teams during the early '50s.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 11:26:25 PM by Robb_K » Logged

doctordoowop

« Reply #158 on: March 18, 2017, 11:38:16 PM »

Reading  Robb  is better than Wiki.

Angels there  only  in 61.   62-66  Dodger Stadium--which they called Chavez  Ravine. Anaheim 67-present.

OMalley  never would have gone to  a park that small.

Steve  Bilko  was best known  Angel--Cub farm  and  many of your  Pirates  from the 50s played  in Gilmore Field--Melrose/ Fairfax--   Hollywood Stars. Where Sinatra,  etc  showed up. 

Wrigley  now a park/ development,   Gilmore  became CBS  studios. BtW, Gilmore  was a local LA  gas  co.

Another reason  to  give Maris 61 an asterisk--terrible Angel pitching--besides Belinsky &  Chance.   Grba  etc. Grin Grin Grin Grin
JoeC

« Reply #159 on: March 19, 2017, 08:59:58 AM »

Robb, Been to football games at the LA Coliseum several times and used to recruit students at USC, so I knew where that was.

I recall Bilko. Like Rocky Nelson, a feared Triple AAA slugger who just couldn't make the successful jump to the majors. I guess what is now known as a AAAA player.

Switching to freeways -- first two were the Pasadena Freeway, then the Harbor Freeway. Am I right? What came next? Not a quiz, just wondering how they evolved.
bklynmike101

« Reply #160 on: March 19, 2017, 01:07:37 PM »

Bilko's 1960 BB card had a blue border (from the top of my silly head). I had thought hat he once hit 60 dingers in minors but find I was sadly misinformed. In '56, he had 55 Hrs, 164 RBI's and hit .360. "57 was s serious fall-off - 56 Hrs but only 140 RBI's  and an even .300.   In both MLB seasons in which he was more or less a starter, including with the '61 Angels, he hit at least 20 HR's with what today is considered a very respectable B. Avg. - .251 and .279. If he played today and was able to put up the same #s, he'd earn $10M+ per year. Died very young too.   
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #161 on: March 19, 2017, 03:21:32 PM »

Robb, Been to football games at the LA Coliseum several times and used to recruit students at USC, so I knew where that was.

I recall Bilko. Like Rocky Nelson, a feared Triple AAA slugger who just couldn't make the successful jump to the majors. I guess what is now known as a AAAA player. 

Switching to freeways -- first two were the Pasadena Freeway, then the Harbor Freeway. Am I right? What came next? Not a quiz, just wondering how they evolved.
Bilko was the regular 1st Baseman of The St. Louis Cardinals in 1953, hitting 23 HR and batting .275.  So, he was a major leaguer for awhile.  And I think he played all of a couple seasons for The Cubs (although he platooned).  But, he was not a good fielder, and not very fast afoot.  And, yes, he spent most of his career in AAA.

The Pasadena Freeway was officially built in 1955, as part of the new Interstate Highway system.  It gets its 1949 starting date from when the old Monterey Road and Arroyo Drive through The Arroyo Seco was connected up and extended into Pasadena, widened to two lanes in each direction and given limited ingress and egress (access) from entrances and exits only (no cross traffic), and was renamed "The Arroyo Parkway".  It was re-named "The Pasadena Freeway" in 1955, to become part of The Interstate Highway System.

If I remember correctly, The San Bernardino and Santa Ana Freeways also started in 1955, along with the start of The Harbor Freeway.  The hollywood Freeway was next, starting in 1957, I believe.  The San Diego Freeway was next, starting in 1960 (construction began in 1958).  I think The Long Beach Freeway and Ventura Freeways also started at that time.  The Santa Monica Freeway was next.  The latter 3 probably and Terminal Island Freeways probably started in 1961-62.  All the rest Pomona, Century (I 105) Marina, San Gabriel River, Barstow (I 15), I 57 Redondo Beach (I 55), Garden Grove (Cal 22), and the other Orange, Riverside, Ventura and San Bernardino Counties' Freeways,

JoeC

« Reply #162 on: March 19, 2017, 04:09:50 PM »

Thanks Robb. I did know Bilko logged time in the majors but not that he'd had at least that one very credible season. Rocky Nelson, who sort of was the Int'l League version of Bilko, also had major league time (1500 AB in 9 seasons). Was on the World Champion Pirates who win it all on the Mazeroski HR. He hit a two run HR in the first inning of Game 7 off Ralph Terry.  Unlike Bilko, Rocky never hit more than 7 HR in a major league season (after winning multiple Int'l League batting titles and HR titles).

I would've guessed the 5 and the 101 would've followed the Pasadena and Harbor but ... you lay it out clearly. Surprised the 405 didn't come even sooner. What were the main routes people took to get from LA and the Valley to Disneyland when it opened in 1955.
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #163 on: March 19, 2017, 04:44:27 PM »

I would've guessed the 5 and the 101 would've followed the Pasadena and Harbor but ... you lay it out clearly. Surprised the 405 didn't come even sooner. What were the main routes people took to get from LA and the Valley to Disneyland when it opened in 1955.
I went to Disneyland from West L.A. while visiting family there in 1955. It seemed like we took hours and hours to get there. We took  surface streets. I don't really remember. I was 9 years old and didn't live there until 1966. I'd guess we took Sepulveda south to Venice, Venice to Downtown, and got onto the Santa Ana Freeway until it stopped in Downey, and then took Firestone Blvd. southeast through Norwalk. The extension of The Santa Ana Freeway wiped out Firestone Blvd, and at the boundary of Orange County, that street changed back to Manchester Blvd. again.  That went all the way through the county to Downtown Santa Ana. The freeway covered where it had been. So, most of that street is gone now. We would have taken Manchester to Anaheim, and driven the 2 blocks west on Ball Road from there to Disneyland's parking lot. The San Gabriel Valley had a decent population back then, but was only about half filled.  I had an uncle and aunt who had a farm in rural Arcadia, which had horse farms. They had a couple cows and chickens.  I first saw a chicken's head chopped off there and saw the headless body running around.  The San Fernando Valley was almost all farmland at that time.  There was a small town of Burbank, a small town in San Fernando, a village in Pacoima, and tiny villages at crossroads in Reseda, Van Nuys and Canoga Park.  Driving from there to Disneyland was only an issue for a handful of people.  Even west L.A. was a patchwork of farms between newly-built single family residential neighbourhoods.  L.A. wasn't really a large city then.  It was a bunch of hickey villages.

JoeC

« Reply #164 on: March 19, 2017, 06:13:28 PM »

Checked a Disney history. Some of the highlights:

- Original location was to be next to Disney Studios in Burbank. Land costs sent him to Anaheim.

- Amazingly, the park only took a year to build.

- Only 15 houses had to be bought out or moved.

- The Santa Ana Freeway was partially completed (at least the the part running by the park apparently).

- Opening Day in 1955 was 110 degrees, with no drinking fountains operational. Asphalt never set or re-melted, customers shoes got stuck or ruined.

doctordoowop

« Reply #165 on: March 19, 2017, 06:25:00 PM »

Hollywood  FWY  not originally  part  of Interstate  system.  Why  its  US  101.   

Many of the  FWS  were  originally  CA  state  roads.  So  the  Pasadena-Harbor  was 11, Long Beach  was 7--later became  110, and 710.  There are stillmany FWYS  w/state numbers only--91, 55, 57, 22  etc. 

I live near  the 23,  and 118-Reagan

Interesting  how numbering works--N-S   odd,  E-W even numbers.  Lower  #  in South--10--get higher as go   north--40, 80,90etc.
JoeC

« Reply #166 on: March 19, 2017, 07:39:36 PM »

The Harbor Freeway always reminds me of San Pedro. Anyone recall the 50s TV show Waterfront, starring Preston Foster, circa 1954-55? He was captain of a tugboat operating out of Pedro, encountering various criminals around the harbor. Sorta Highway Patrol, but on the water. Same production quality.
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #167 on: March 19, 2017, 07:49:22 PM »

Hollywood  FWY  not originally  part  of Interstate  system.  Why  its  US  101.   

Many of the  FWS  were  originally  CA  state  roads.  So  the  Pasadena-Harbor  was 11, Long Beach  was 7--later became  110, and 710.  There are stillmany FWYS  w/state numbers only--91, 55, 57, 22  etc. 

I live near  the 23,  and 118-Reagan

Interesting  how numbering works--N-S   odd,  E-W even numbers.  Lower  #  in South--10--get higher as go   north--40, 80,90etc.
The Interstate numbers are the reverse of the old US Highway system numbers, which start with low numbers in the north for E-W roads, and high numbers in the South.  And the Interstates start with the teens in the west, when the US Highways started with 10s in The East.

I've never heard of I 23.  I barely know I 118.

Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #168 on: March 19, 2017, 07:51:15 PM »

The Harbor Freeway always reminds me of San Pedro. Anyone recall the 50s TV show Waterfront, starring Preston Foster, circa 1954-55? He was captain of a tugboat operating out of Pedro, encountering various criminals around the harbor. Sorta Highway Patrol, but on the water. Same production quality.
They didn't show that in Canada, and I never saw it listed on re-runs in USA.  Was it ever rerun?

JoeC

« Reply #169 on: March 19, 2017, 08:01:20 PM »

They didn't show that in Canada, and I never saw it listed on re-runs in USA.  Was it ever rerun?

Robb,

Unlike Broderick Crawford's Highway Patrol., don't think it was.

From TV.com: "This syndicated drama centered on tugboat captain John Herrick, his family, and life aboard the "Cheryl Ann". Cap'n John piloted the tug around San Pedro Harbor (filmed in Los Angeles Harbor), and was constantly running into smugglers, convicts and ne'er-do-wells of all types." 

Wonder still about the Americanization of the pronunciation of San Pedro. Pronouncing it Pee-dro instread of Pay-dro. 
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #170 on: March 19, 2017, 08:21:53 PM »

Robb,

Unlike Broderick Crawford's Highway Patrol., don't think it was.

From TV.com: "This syndicated drama centered on tugboat captain John Herrick, his family, and life aboard the "Cheryl Ann". Cap'n John piloted the tug around San Pedro Harbor (filmed in Los Angeles Harbor), and was constantly running into smugglers, convicts and ne'er-do-wells of all types." 

Wonder still about the Americanization of the pronunciation of San Pedro. Pronouncing it Pee-dro instread of Pay-dro. 

They don't pronounce ANY Spanish place names correctly (Lohss Anckhelees, Saahn Fraanseeesko, Saahn Hoassaaay) so why should you expect them to pronounce San Pedro correctly???  The Anglos don't pronounce any of the thousands of Dutch, French, German, Norwegian, Swedish, Danish, Russian, Czech, nor any of the thousands of Native American nor Inuit place names in USA correctly.  Nor do the majority of Anglos in Canada (shudder).  99% of Anglos in USA absolutely cannot make many of the sounds in most of those languages.  But, although the inhabitants of those countries do better with other languages than most Americans, many of them mispronounce English place names, or have their own name for the foreign place names.  So, we shouldn't be so hard on the "language-lazy" Amerikaners.   Cheesy 

JoeC

« Reply #171 on: March 19, 2017, 08:42:08 PM »

Just find the Peedro pronunciation more strange and egregious than the rest you listed. Brits were FAR worse than Americans in their Anglicizing of foreign words, especially food and place names. For example, tack-o for taco. (Worse still, they anglicized the actual food's taste as well.) Cally for Calais. Benny-dorm for Benidorm. And so forth. Guess everyone does it!
doctordoowop

« Reply #172 on: March 19, 2017, 11:12:59 PM »

Joe--Terry  only  pitched  9th  inning  in  7th   game rite?  who  did Nelson  homer  off then?  Ditmar?

Remember  Dick  "Stone hands " Stuart--he did have 66 HR  in I think  Nebraska  somewhere.(Lincoln?)
doctordoowop

« Reply #173 on: March 19, 2017, 11:16:21 PM »

Robb-118--Reagan fwy--goes west  from  405  to  Ventura

23--  15-20  yrs old  too.  Goes  north  from 101  in  Thousand Oaks  to   Simi  Valley  continuing  to  Fillmore.
JoeC

« Reply #174 on: March 20, 2017, 08:43:46 AM »

Joe--Terry  only  pitched  9th  inning  in  7th   game rite?  who  did Nelson  homer  off then?  Ditmar?

Remember  Dick  "Stone hands " Stuart--he did have 66 HR  in I think  Nebraska  somewhere.(Lincoln?)

Yah, don't know what I was thinking there. It was off "Bullet Bob" Turley. Yankee fans will recall the first inning was always Turley's worst. Never had any control to start a game. Nelson was Stuart's backup in 1960.

Another guy who hit prodigious HRs in the minors was Dave Nicholson. Am sure Robb will recall him with the CWS in the early 60s. Had 22 in 1963 per the record book but seemed like he struck out every other time he came to the plate. Never able to cut down on the K's.
bklynmike101

« Reply #175 on: March 20, 2017, 11:26:02 AM »

Bilko was the regular 1st Baseman of The St. Louis Cardinals in 1953, hitting 23 HR and batting .275.  So, he was a major leaguer for awhile.  And I think he played all of a couple seasons for The Cubs (although he platooned).  But, he was not a good fielder, and not very fast afoot.  And, yes, he spent most of his career in AAA.

The Pasadena Freeway was officially built in 1955, as part of the new Interstate Highway system.  It gets its 1949 starting date from when the old Monterey Road and Arroyo Drive through The Arroyo Seco was connected up and extended into Pasadena, widened to two lanes in each direction and given limited ingress and egress (access) from entrances and exits only (no cross traffic), and was renamed "The Arroyo Parkway".  It was re-named "The Pasadena Freeway" in 1955, to become part of The Interstate Highway System.

If I remember correctly, The San Bernardino and Santa Ana Freeways also started in 1955, along with the start of The Harbor Freeway.  The hollywood Freeway was next, starting in 1957, I believe.  The San Diego Freeway was next, starting in 1960 (construction began in 1958).  I think The Long Beach Freeway and Ventura Freeways also started at that time.  The Santa Monica Freeway was next.  The latter 3 probably and Terminal Island Freeways probably started in 1961-62.  All the rest Pomona, Century (I 105) Marina, San Gabriel River, Barstow (I 15), I 57 Redondo Beach (I 55), Garden Grove (Cal 22), and the other Orange, Riverside, Ventura and San Bernardino Counties' Freeways,

A knit but Bilko hit .251 in '53 his only full year as starter in MLB, .279 as a more or less starter for '61 Angels..
doctordoowop

« Reply #176 on: March 20, 2017, 06:24:45 PM »

Pop--Philly  fan told me  about "Swish"   Nicholson. Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Robb-not I  18 &  I 23--Ca  highways  just 118 & 23.

Joe's son lives near both.
JoeC

« Reply #177 on: March 20, 2017, 06:55:59 PM »

Pop--Philly  fan told me  about "Swish"   Nicholson. Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Robb-not I  18 &  I 23--Ca  highways  just 118 & 23.

Joe's son lives near both.

Wonder if Swish and Dave were related?

You're right, Doctor. Son lives in Westlake Village, two or three short exits just east of the 23. I've never had occasion to take that freeway. Seems we're always traveling back and forth on the 101, or going over the mountains on the 9 to Zuma/Malibu.

Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #178 on: March 20, 2017, 07:10:54 PM »

A knit but Bilko hit .251 in '53 his only full year as starter in MLB, .279 as a more or less starter for '61 Angels..

Yes. I got his '53 average mixed up with his '61 average.

doctordoowop

« Reply #179 on: March 20, 2017, 10:28:17 PM »

Joe--what is the 9?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: