DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 22, 2017, 02:24:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
ATTENTION:
NO COMMERCIAL SITES OR LINKS TO COMMERCIAL SITES ALLOWED ON THIS FORUM. IF YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO SELL,
ie, CLOTHES, RECORDS, FURNTURE, ETC. DON'T DO IT HERE. THE URL WILL BE DELETED...  Mike Paladino
75137 Posts in 6941 Topics by 192 Members
Latest Member: doowopbob
* Home Help Login Register
+  DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
|-+  OT - OFF TOPIC TOPICS :-)
| |-+  Off Topic Stuff
| | |-+  Baseball Threaad (especially from the time of our youth)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Baseball Threaad (especially from the time of our youth)  (Read 16142 times)
doctordoowop

« Reply #330 on: August 08, 2017, 12:04:01 PM »

Joking about  Jack Clark.   Grin Grin Grin Grin
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #331 on: August 08, 2017, 12:28:37 PM »

I remember Baby Ruth bars.  the urban legend was that they were named after Babe Ruth.  And they started in 1921, at the height of his fame.  But the company always claimed they were named after President Grover Cleveland's daughter, Ruth.  Who would believe THAT?  Especially given that Ruth Cleveland died in 1904, 17 years before the candy bar started and Grover had been out of office for over 30 years and deceased for many years before the candy bar came out.  The rumours were started by the candy company, themselves, Curtiss, making up a story that she had come for a visit to their plant.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 12:37:21 PM by Robb_K » Logged

JoeC

« Reply #332 on: August 08, 2017, 01:10:16 PM »

Joking about  Jack Clark.   Grin Grin Grin Grin

Yeah, got the joke. And I think I was recalling Butterfingers anyway (the candy that really stuck to your teeth).  Couldn't get past the fact that Baby Ruth's looked too much like turds.
doctordoowop

« Reply #333 on: August 08, 2017, 05:22:12 PM »

Aha--I get to nitpick with Robb.  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin  Wasn't  the claim  Pres  Taft's  daughter-Ruth.  Much more recent.
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #334 on: August 09, 2017, 03:08:16 AM »

Aha--I get to nitpick with Robb.  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin  Wasn't  the claim  Pres  Taft's  daughter-Ruth.  Much more recent.
President Taft had 3 children, but none were named Ruth.  All 3 would have been well over 20 years old in 1921, way too old to be called "baby".

doctordoowop

« Reply #335 on: August 10, 2017, 05:36:02 AM »

Robb-right  again.  Wasn't  Cleveland    the only  Pres  to  be Pres twice?  Gt him on the $1000  bill. Grin Grin Grin

Taft  was   only Pres to become a Supreme Ct  Justice.(Obama's goal)
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #336 on: August 10, 2017, 05:41:38 AM »

Robb-right  again.  Wasn't  Cleveland    the only  Pres  to  be Pres twice?  Gt him on the $1000  bill. Grin Grin Grin

Taft  was   only Pres to become a Supreme Ct  Justice.(Obama's goal)
You mean the only US president to have non-consecutive terms in office?  Yes.  Teddy Roosevelt would have joined him, had he won in 1912 running for The Progressive party (Bull Moose Party).  But, alas, he split The Republican vote, allowing The Democrats to win.

JoeC

« Reply #337 on: August 10, 2017, 08:20:53 AM »

Interesting tidbit: William McKinley, as we all know, was shot in Buffalo while attending the Pan-American Exposition of 1901. Think he basically died of sepsis resulting from the doctors of the day being unable to locate and remove the fatal bullet.

Literally right next door to where he was shot and lay on the floor was a display of the very first X-Ray machine. No "connection" to the problem at hand was ever made. Tragic if true.
doctordoowop

« Reply #338 on: August 11, 2017, 02:53:34 AM »

Joe--Garfield died of sepsis  from doctors  horse manure stained  hands.   Guiteau's shots were not fatal--the dr  swere.   Guiteau  tried a double defense  -thedrs kileed him & insanity.  Garfield shot in July-died Sept.   81.   

Guiteau  hung  early  82.

Not sure drs killed McKinley--but  by then they  agreed with Lister and  kept wounds  clean.  BTW, an unheralded black  caught  Leon Czolgos who was    Killed in Edisons electric  chair.

BTw,  Bell invented  a metal detector  to find the bullet   in Garfield --not work bec of metal springs &  drs  controlling--incorrectly where he could look.
JoeC

« Reply #339 on: August 11, 2017, 08:30:24 AM »

Doctor, thnx for the add'l info. As you say, even if they had used the xray machine to find the bullet, likely McKinley woulda died from the doctor's introducing infection. I had heard the bed springs account.

With Garfield, didn't the docs keep trying surgeries/probes throughout the time he hung on, each procedure making him worse?

Czolgos reportedly shook so badly on the walk from cell to electric chair, the guards had to carry him. Not an act to slow down the process, apparently scared out of his mind, crying uncontrollably. Wonder how many of the condemned stride outwardly unfazed to their fate, and how many are basket cases a la Czolgos.
doctordoowop

« Reply #340 on: August 11, 2017, 09:36:16 PM »

Not suredrs killed  McKinley--but didnt  helpmuch. 

Yes the drs tortured  poor Garfield.   He was  brilliant.  Could  write  ancient  Greek with R  hand  and  Latin with left  simultaneously.   I wrote tothe US treasury--wondered why no  coin or currency to  memorialize  James.   No  answer.I have a Garfield bil  from bank of Mass.

Amazing fact--Todd  Lincoln was present  at death of Abe(his son),  and also Garfield, & yes  McKinley--worked in both adminstrations.

Did Todd  work  for Kennedy or  King? Grin Grin Grin Grin
doctordoowop

« Reply #341 on: August 14, 2017, 10:09:27 PM »

Most unlikely  ---Dale  Long.  Thot of this  wen Stanton  hit HR  in 5 straight  today.  How the hell  does  a left handed catcher   set a record that  Ruth, Joe, Mickey.Willie  could not, nor any of the recent steroid  boys--Bonds etc

I contend  this is the most unlikely  record  setter ever. [maybe Van der Meer]
doowopbob

« Reply #342 on: August 15, 2017, 12:59:42 AM »

Dale Long was primarily a First Baseman and had some decent power.

I want to yodel, I want to lurk, does that make me a total jerk?
JoeC

« Reply #343 on: August 15, 2017, 08:14:38 AM »

Most unlikely  ---Dale  Long.  Thot of this  wen Stanton  hit HR  in 5 straight  today.  How the hell  does  a left handed catcher   set a record that  Ruth, Joe, Mickey.Willie  could not, nor any of the recent steroid  boys--Bonds etc

I contend  this is the most unlikely  record  setter ever. [maybe Van der Meer]

Think Frank Howard homered in 8 straight with the Senators. Late 60s.
doctordoowop

« Reply #344 on: August 15, 2017, 03:17:22 PM »

I know  he was  a 1B  man--but he did catch a little.  Still  his record  that not  one of  the elite  power boys isncredible.   

Joe--more sure than  Torrence--doubt  FH  tied record--we'llhave to check.
JoeC

« Reply #345 on: August 15, 2017, 04:26:32 PM »

I know  he was  a 1B  man--but he did catch a little.  Still  his record  that not  one of  the elite  power boys isncredible.   

Joe--more sure than  Torrence--doubt  FH  tied record--we'llhave to check.

Doc, I stand corrected. You are right, although this is pretty amazing:

"During an amazing one-week stretch in the spring of 1968 (May 12–18), Howard hammered 10 home runs in 20 at bats, with at least one in six consecutive games; his 10 home runs are also the most ever in one week. He would go on to hit 13 homers in 16 games, a mark that still stands, matched only by Albert Belle in 1995.
doctordoowop

« Reply #346 on: August 15, 2017, 06:04:30 PM »

There  are a couple records  that  CAN but will  never be broken.   Tatis  2  GSlams  in one inning.  Vandermeer  2   no nos in a row.   Prob not -- Ripken
n's and  Roses .  And with  the  change in pitching-- stuff like career complete games-(Marichal  has 250),   year complete games etc.  Innings in a yr--Ryan  360?
JoeC

« Reply #347 on: August 15, 2017, 07:46:53 PM »

There  are a couple records  that  CAN but will  never be broken.   Tatis  2  GSlams  in one inning.  Vandermeer  2   no nos in a row.   Prob not -- Ripken
n's and  Roses .  And with  the  change in pitching-- stuff like career complete games-(Marichal  has 250),   year complete games etc.  Innings in a yr--Ryan  360?
Joe D's 56 game hitting streak? Someone hitting .400? These seem like records/accomplishments that definitely could be broken/attained but .... as close as people have come, they still stand for 75 years and counting now.
doowopbob

« Reply #348 on: August 15, 2017, 08:51:21 PM »

I think some of the pitching records and milestones are becoming harder to reach with the way MLB handles their staffs now. Wasting a RP for a one hitter match up makes no sense to me.  I agree about Joe D.; Cal; Juan; Pete and Nolan - out of reach.  The GS in one inning can happen again, heck, a Braves pitcher in the 60s did, I think it was Tony Cloninger.  Rick Wise Phillies/Redsox may have done it also.  Two no nom in a row, not likely the way staffs are handled now.

I want to yodel, I want to lurk, does that make me a total jerk?
doctordoowop

« Reply #349 on: August 15, 2017, 11:14:36 PM »

Joe  agree  the 56  game  streak  is impossible.  Hit  in 66  for SF Seals.

Is it really  possible  to  hit 3 GS  in an inning?   Don't have my computer,  but   IMO  NO  batter in MLB has EVER  been  up  3 times in an inning.  (Expect maybe LL  or T=Ball). It would have to be  about a  30 run inning  to  hit  3  GSs.
JoeC

« Reply #350 on: August 16, 2017, 08:17:52 AM »

Pete Rose hit in 44 straight. That tells me Joe D's record could be broken. What did Geo Brett end at, .388? Pretty close too. Always thought a guy like Ichiro could do both -- someone with wheels and bat control.
bklynmike101

« Reply #351 on: August 16, 2017, 11:47:34 AM »

Cy Young's 511 (some say 512) wins. Jack Chesbro's 40+ wins in a single season.
doctordoowop

« Reply #352 on: August 16, 2017, 09:48:56 PM »

400  is  possible--Brett--390?  And  no infield hits.

Roses  44--but no  more  Roses.
doctordoowop

« Reply #353 on: August 22, 2017, 10:33:23 PM »

Granderson  just set  record--shortest time  between  GS  for 2  teams  --5  games--Mets/Dodgers.  The  record  was  8 games  set by an unknown  Red Sox  in 1953.
doctordoowop

« Reply #354 on: September 06, 2017, 12:44:49 PM »

Judge--1st rookie   since Gilliam  in 53  with 100 walks.
doctordoowop

« Reply #355 on: September 23, 2017, 10:11:14 PM »

Scooter  Jennett just   hit 4th  GS .    Second  player  ever to  have  4 GSs  in a yr  and  4  HR  in  game in same yr. --just  him  and  Lou Gehrig.  What? Huh Huh Huh Huh

Another  Bob Horner/ Tatis

bklynmike101

« Reply #356 on: September 24, 2017, 01:09:48 PM »

Plus didn't Tony Cloninger, pitcher, hit 2 GSs in one inning or one game or some such?
doctordoowop

« Reply #357 on: September 24, 2017, 01:15:07 PM »

I  saw  in person  Tatis  2  GS in  one  inning.    Both  off  Park.   Cloninger  hit  2  in one  game--Tatis only  guy  to hit  2 in  one inning.
doctordoowop

« Reply #358 on: November 08, 2017, 06:02:33 PM »

Please tell  me it  ain't so.   Is Sammy Sosa  now white? Grin Grin Grin

Google  & all over social  media.

Yeah, i want to buy a bridge in Brooklyn too.
JoeC

« Reply #359 on: November 14, 2017, 10:24:56 AM »

RIP, Bobby Doerr, HoF 2B for the Red Sox, and best friend (along with Johnny Pesky and Dom DiMaggio) of Ted Williams .  He was 99 years old, oldest living MLB player. All four of those Red Sox players of note were West Coast guys -- Doerr from LA, Williams from San Diego, DiMaggio from San Fran, and Pesky from Oregon.

Doerr started for the Hollywood Stars in the PCL at age 16! Was in the Major Leagues two years later.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: