DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 20, 2018, 05:07:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
ATTENTION:
NO COMMERCIAL SITES OR LINKS TO COMMERCIAL SITES ALLOWED ON THIS FORUM. IF YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO SELL,
ie, CLOTHES, RECORDS, FURNTURE, ETC. DON'T DO IT HERE. THE URL WILL BE DELETED...  Mike Paladino
78347 Posts in 7066 Topics by 95 Members
Latest Member: doctordoowop
* Home Help Login Register
+  DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
|-+  OT - OFF TOPIC TOPICS :-)
| |-+  Off Topic Stuff
| | |-+  Baseball Threaad (especially from the time of our youth)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Baseball Threaad (especially from the time of our youth)  (Read 63434 times)
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #450 on: December 19, 2017, 06:39:52 PM »

Luis Arroyo, a forgotten relief pitcher from the old days.

I recall Arroyo when he came up in the mid 50s to the Cardinals to join their starting rotation with Harvey Haddix, Larry Jackson and a couple other long-forgotten guys. He was pushing 30 years old then, as a rookie. Short and stocky little lefty. First Puerto Rican to wear the pinstripes. BTW, he lived to 100.

Most of those Cubans, Dominicans and Puerto Ricans that were accomplished veterans when they came to the majors, lied about their ages to get longer contracts.  So many of them were 4-7 years older than they stated.

doctordoowop

« Reply #451 on: December 19, 2017, 06:54:07 PM »

I  asked Jesus  Alou  on a trip to DR  who was 1st  DR  to  play in MLB--remember Ozzie Virgil?  About 1954 w/Giants.
bklynmike101

« Reply #452 on: December 19, 2017, 08:45:41 PM »

Luis Arroyo, a forgotten relief pitcher from the old days.

I recall Arroyo when he came up in the mid 50s to the Cardinals to join their starting rotation with Harvey Haddix, Larry Jackson and a couple other long-forgotten guys. He was pushing 30 years old then, as a rookie. Short and stocky little lefty. First Puerto Rican to wear the pinstripes. BTW, he lived to 100.

He wore #47 for the Yanks. Fantastic when he got the call in '60 and again full year '61.
bklynmike101

« Reply #453 on: December 19, 2017, 08:48:37 PM »

I  asked Jesus  Alou  on a trip to DR  who was 1st  DR  to  play in MLB--remember Ozzie Virgil?  About 1954 w/Giants.

Of course, I remember Ozzie Sr., though primarily from his post NYG days with the Tigers and elsewhere. His son Ozzie Jr. also played in the MLB.
doctordoowop

« Reply #454 on: December 19, 2017, 11:17:11 PM »

Didn't know about Jr.

The  Giants  has a Caribbean  connection for  awhile--remember Andre Rodgers?
JoeC

« Reply #455 on: December 19, 2017, 11:35:00 PM »

I saw Joe D hit one off the wall in an old timers game in the early '60's. Does that count?  Grin

OK, I'll go back to studying my Luis Arroyo baseball cards now. Undecided

I'd say that counts. He was in his uniform, facing a pitcher, swinging the bat in Yankee Stadium. Close as you could get to the real thing.  I saw Ted Williams, one time, in 1951 (I was 7, going on Cool at Griffith Stadium in DC. He doubled twice off that high right field wall. If I'd seen him in uniform circling the field in that golf cart at the All Star game just before he died, I'd have counted that experience too.
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #456 on: December 19, 2017, 11:51:11 PM »

I saw Joe D hit one off the wall in an old timers game in the early '60's. Does that count?  Grin

OK, I'll go back to studying my Luis Arroyo baseball cards now. Undecided

I'd say that counts. He was in his uniform, facing a pitcher, swinging the bat in Yankee Stadium. Close as you could get to the real thing.  I saw Ted Williams, one time, in 1951 (I was 7, going on Cool at Griffith Stadium in DC. He doubled twice off that high right field wall. If I'd seen him in uniform circling the field in that golf cart at the All Star game just before he died, I'd have counted that experience too.

I saw Ted Williams play many times, also Stan Musial, Johnny Mize, Warren Spahn, Jackie Robinson, Eddie Robinson, Vern Stephens, Willie Mays, Hank Aaron, Duke Snider, Bob Feller, Nellie Fox, Enos Slaughter, Mickey Mantle, Yogi Berra, and most of the regular major leaguers from 1950-1969, as I watched both Cubs and White Sox games in person and on TV.

bklynmike101

« Reply #457 on: December 20, 2017, 11:50:57 AM »

Live at games I saw Musial, Spahn, Mays, Aaron, Snider, Fox, Mantle, and Berra from the names on your list. Also, Lou Clinton and Earl Averill Jr.  Grin
bklynmike101

« Reply #458 on: December 20, 2017, 11:53:58 AM »

Didn't know about Jr.

Sure. Blue border on his '60 baseball card (from memory). Infielder. Maybe Pirates or Cubs as well. As to Caribbean NYG, how about pitcher Ray Monzant (Venezuela I believe).
JoeC

« Reply #459 on: December 20, 2017, 01:25:05 PM »

Didn't know about Jr.

Sure. Blue border on his '60 baseball card (from memory). Infielder. Maybe Pirates or Cubs as well. As to Caribbean NYG, how about pitcher Ray Monzant (Venezuela I believe).

Ruben Gomez, very fine NYG righty, was first Puerto Rican to pitch in a World Series. Rodgers was from the Bahamas. First Bahamian in MLB. Pretty average at everything he did on the field.
doctordoowop

« Reply #460 on: December 20, 2017, 04:54:58 PM »

I could Google this but  an interesting question. Rd today that Mamie Johnson RIP-just passed.  One of 3 females in the  Negro (baseball) League. Really? Did ladies play  there?
JoeC

« Reply #461 on: December 20, 2017, 08:03:48 PM »

Never heard that but doesn't mean not true!
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #462 on: December 20, 2017, 08:15:24 PM »

I could Google this but  an interesting question. Rd today that Mamie Johnson RIP-just passed.  One of 3 females in the  Negro (baseball) League. Really? Did ladies play  there?

Maybe in exhibition games (like when Negro Leagues playes played vs Caucasian all star teams.  But, I never heard of any women playing in scheduled league games.

doctordoowop

« Reply #463 on: December 21, 2017, 01:39:31 AM »

that  makes 3 --maybe like saying Ann Meyers  played in the NBA. Grin Grin Grin
bklynmike101

« Reply #464 on: December 21, 2017, 12:46:04 PM »

Didn't know about Jr.

Ruben Gomez, very fine NYG righty, was first Puerto Rican to pitch in a World Series. Rodgers was from the Bahamas. First Bahamian in MLB. Pretty average at everything he did on the field.

Green bottom on his '60 bb card. Why does my poor head know these things? Grin
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #465 on: December 21, 2017, 12:56:24 PM »

that  makes 3 --maybe like saying Ann Meyers  played in the NBA. Grin Grin Grin
Or Manon Rheaume played goaltender in The NHL.   Cheesy

doctordoowop

« Reply #466 on: December 21, 2017, 03:09:09 PM »

Stuck  with u bec  u are a softball fan. ( I know u get it)
JoeC

« Reply #467 on: May 07, 2018, 12:07:30 PM »

Are the NYY a juggernaut or what? They may not lose again.
bklynmike101

« Reply #468 on: May 08, 2018, 12:18:58 AM »

Much as I'd love to see that, the Yankees Achilles heel continues to be their starting rotation - perhaps respectable but no better. And the Red Sox do seem well-balanced and strong in all categories.  You never know though - that's why they play the games (as it is said).
JoeC

« Reply #469 on: May 08, 2018, 07:25:53 AM »

Unless decimated by injuries, I don't see how they don't win 100 games easy -- even with average starting pitching and a strong Red Sox team. Except for Sale, I'm not crazy about the Red Sox rotation either. Severino, Tanaka and CC can be very good. 
bklynmike101

« Reply #470 on: May 08, 2018, 12:04:55 PM »

Joe, 100 wins would be great - it's possible. But Sox could exceed that. Meanwhile if I had to place a bet, I'd opt for Sale over Severino (though Severino looks poised for a terrific season), Price over CC or Tanaka (whoever is Yanks #2), Porcello over Yanks # 3, etc. Then again Pomeranz (when healthy) and Rodriguez vs. Gray (lousy now but should improve) and Montgomery project to be a about a push.

Yanks have tremendous power. And if Gleyber/Miguel can continue at their early pace.........   
JoeC

« Reply #471 on: May 08, 2018, 01:40:56 PM »

Mike, Agree about Sale although Severino is pretty darn good. Don't agree that Porcello is better than Tanaka or even CC. His W/L record in the past with the Sox looked good because they score a lot of runs behind him usually. He's definitely hittable. Price? An enigma to me both in Tampa and now with the Sox. He has world class stuff but still gets hit around a lot more than his stuff should allow for. This week's games should be interesting. Even moreso than usual.
bklynmike101

« Reply #472 on: May 08, 2018, 06:59:43 PM »

Joe,

Perhaps you'll be proved right (I hope so). Maybe Domingo German can be a "player"?
JoeC

« Reply #473 on: May 08, 2018, 07:43:50 PM »

Joe,

Perhaps you'll be proved right (I hope so). Maybe Domingo German can be a "player"?

Mike, I'm not a Yankee fan. Never have been. But ... gotta give the devil his due. Cashman has really put together a new "Murderer's Row" with good enough pitching. If I were an opposing hurler and looked at that Yankee lineup, I would NOT be looking forward to my start. There are few, if any, "outs" there and all sorts of players who can hit the long ball with regularity. If I were a Yankee fan, I'd be VERY excited.
doctordoowop

« Reply #474 on: May 09, 2018, 11:35:22 AM »

Love Yanks but  have  a different point.

Baseball  with help of computers has lost its STAT  mind.

FYI--Ronald  Acuna  , age  20,  just became the  youngest Brave  to win a  1-0  game with a HR since  Phil  Cavaretta  in 1935.

Who  cares? Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Except friends & family.

This was a mini headline in LA Times today.
JoeC

« Reply #475 on: May 09, 2018, 12:31:36 PM »

How about Orioles "ace" Dylan Bundy giving up 4 HRs - count 'em 4 -- and 7 ERs in 1st inning without recording a single out! And, this was at home against KC. Talk about a brutal outing!
doctordoowop

« Reply #476 on: May 09, 2018, 04:55:05 PM »

Its  already  talked  about  on  ESPN. Roe  once  gave up  6.  But all solos  & he won  8-6 or so.

Do they need Bird?   Another Nick Johnson-most  of career on DL.
bklynmike101

« Reply #477 on: May 10, 2018, 12:32:09 AM »

Love Yanks but  have  a different point.

Baseball  with help of computers has lost its STAT  mind.

FYI--Ronald  Acuna  , age  20,  just became the  youngest Brave  to win a  1-0  game with a HR since  Phil  Cavaretta  in 1935.

Who  cares? Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Except friends & family.

This was a mini headline in LA Times today.

Agree 1000%. To me the fact that player X owns a lifetime batting average  of .400 on the road in the rain against  Cincinnati right-handed relief pitching, having gone 2 for 5, iet al, is completely pointless. I'm a diehard numbers/stats guy, but one has to discern the meaningful from the meaningless.   
doctordoowop

« Reply #478 on: May 13, 2018, 08:09:15 PM »

mike  I agree.   But  Joe--Dodgers  are 16-24-worst  1st 40  games   since  1st  yr in LA-1958.  Thats an important stat.
doctordoowop

« Reply #479 on: May 14, 2018, 11:10:14 PM »

More  silliness-Gleyber  Torres  is  youngest  Yankee  rookie  to hit in 9 straight games.  A few days   younger than  the Mick. So what? Grin Grin Grin Grin
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: