DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 25, 2018, 04:37:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
ATTENTION:
NO COMMERCIAL SITES OR LINKS TO COMMERCIAL SITES ALLOWED ON THIS FORUM. IF YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO SELL,
ie, CLOTHES, RECORDS, FURNTURE, ETC. DON'T DO IT HERE. THE URL WILL BE DELETED...  Mike Paladino
78649 Posts in 7075 Topics by 95 Members
Latest Member: doctordoowop
* Home Help Login Register
+  DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
|-+  OT - OFF TOPIC TOPICS :-)
| |-+  Off Topic Stuff
| | |-+  Baseball Threaad (especially from the time of our youth)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Baseball Threaad (especially from the time of our youth)  (Read 67155 times)
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #540 on: September 10, 2018, 02:59:35 PM »

Tito  Francona--maybe Rico  Carty.   To answer Robb.

Joe--1st  draftee was  Rick Monday  by  As in 65.  Santa Monica to  AZState to   Kansas City. 

Ahead of Reed--Jim Bad News  Barnes--ahead of Willis?   HUH?
That list of annual batting averages I placed above, which was not Wee Willie Keeler WAS one of Tito Francona OR Rico Carty.  Which one was it?

doctordoowop

« Reply #541 on: September 10, 2018, 11:15:36 PM »

Prob   Tito  --missed bec  of too few  ABs  in  1960--hit  360?  Believe for indians.   

Btw, played  pick up games in Dominican  w/Carty  few yrs ago.  The guy was 60+ yrs old  &  scorched one after the  other.  Played  with Pedro Guerrero  too.    My amigos  were  shocked  when I told  them   he  got off   a drug  dealing case  in Florida.  Pled  insanity-he  won --had a  psych testify he was so "slow"  he could not make his bed.

Jury  bought it-prob a lot of ball  fans--but he  was  a trip. Grin Grin Grin
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #542 on: September 10, 2018, 11:36:01 PM »

Prob   Tito  --missed bec  of too few  ABs  in  1960--hit  360?  Believe for indians.   
Btw, played  pick up games in Dominican  w/Carty  few yrs ago.  The guy was 60+ yrs old  &  scorched one after the  other.  Played  with Pedro Guerrero  too.    My amigos  were  shocked  when I told  them   he  got off   a drug  dealing case  in Florida.  Pled  insanity-he  won --had a  psych testify he was so "slow"  he could not make his bed.
Jury  bought it-prob a lot of ball  fans--but he  was  a trip. Grin Grin Grin
Tito hit .363.

The other set os batting averages was Rico Carty.

bklynmike101

« Reply #543 on: September 14, 2018, 11:58:15 AM »

RIP Billy O'dell - blue bottom on his 1960 Topps card
doctordoowop

« Reply #544 on: September 14, 2018, 12:45:01 PM »

Had  it--another "crafty"  lefty.
doctordoowop

« Reply #545 on: September 19, 2018, 12:52:39 AM »

Yelich--better than  Stanton BTW--hit for  the  cycle again-- only 2 or3 guys have done it twice in a  yr.

Talk about no publicity--the  new Dodger pitcher--throws right & left--not done since 1890s!
JoeC

« Reply #546 on: September 19, 2018, 07:32:12 AM »

Yelich getting much love for MVP. Rightfully so.
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #547 on: September 19, 2018, 08:31:15 PM »

Name as many Baseball player-managers as you can from our youth.  I can remember 8 already.

JoeC

« Reply #548 on: September 19, 2018, 09:27:32 PM »

Name as many Baseball player-managers as you can from our youth.  I can remember 8 already.

Lou Boudreau with the Indians is the only one that comes to mind from my youth. Later on, there was Frank Robinson with the Indians in the 70s and Pete Rose with the Reds.
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #549 on: September 19, 2018, 09:35:34 PM »

Lou Boudreau with the Indians is the only one that comes to mind from my youth. Later on, there was Frank Robinson with the Indians in the 70s and Pete Rose with the Reds.

Frank Robinson with Cleveland in the late '70s and Pete Rose in the '80s is long past my time related to Baseball.  1969 is the last season I followed, other than Hank Aarons run to 715.

Yes, Boudreau was one.  I remember about 15 from the 1940s and 1950s.  Hint- MOST of them managed really bad teams.

JoeC

« Reply #550 on: September 20, 2018, 08:19:52 AM »

Frank Robinson with Cleveland in the late '70s and Pete Rose in the '80s is long past my time related to Baseball.  1969 is the last season I followed, other than Hank Aarons run to 715.

Yes, Boudreau was one.  I remember about 15 from the 1940s and 1950s.  Hint- MOST of them managed really bad teams.

Yeah, I knew Robinson and Rose were out of the scope of your question but couldn't think of others. I was 5 when Boudreau did his thing but it was always brought up in following years because of its recency, so I was well aware. I also knew from lore that Rogers Hornsby was a player-manager and I think Ty Cobb was too but ... before my time.

Since my post, I'm thinking Eddie Stanky managed/played for the Cardinals.
bklynmike101

« Reply #551 on: September 20, 2018, 11:52:12 AM »

Yelich--better than  Stanton BTW--hit for  the  cycle again-- only 2 or3 guys have done it twice in a  yr.

Talk about no publicity--the  new Dodger pitcher--throws right & left--not done since 1890s!

Venditte isn't so "new". Past 30 and came up 3-4 years back - trials with A's., Toronto, & mariners I believe.
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #552 on: September 20, 2018, 09:50:32 PM »

Name as many Baseball player-managers as you can from our youth.  I can remember 8 already.
Frank Robinson with Cleveland in the late '70s and Pete Rose in the '80s is long past my time related to Baseball.  1969 is the last season I followed, other than Hank Aarons run to 715.
Yes, Boudreau was one.  I remember about 15 from the 1940s and 1950s.  Hint- MOST of them managed really bad teams.
Yeah, I knew Robinson and Rose were out of the scope of your question but couldn't think of others. I was 5 when Boudreau did his thing but it was always brought up in following years because of its recency, so I was well aware. I also knew from lore that Rogers Hornsby was a player-manager and I think Ty Cobb was too but ... before my time.   Since my post, I'm thinking Eddie Stanky managed/played for the Cardinals.

Yes, Stanky managed The Cards during the early to 'mid 50s ('52-'55).  He played only in 1952-53.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 09:53:27 PM by Robb_K » Logged

doctordoowop

« Reply #553 on: September 20, 2018, 11:31:05 PM »

"New"  referred to  being a Dodger--I know  he  was   on Yankees  &  As  briefly a few yrs ago.

Amazing--in 24 hrs--Dodgers  set  record  with  7 or 8  having 20 hrs.  Then Yankees  set theirteam  record  of  7 or 9  with 10+Hrs.  Better than 1927 Yanks.

Smoltz asked last nite--wen did u last see a pitch out?
JoeC

« Reply #554 on: September 21, 2018, 07:55:52 AM »

I'm thinking the Cubs had a couple of those rare player-managers in the 50s and 60s but am drawing a total blank as to any names.

Solly Hemus jumped into my head but think if he player-managed it was with the Cardinals?

Side note: I was living in DC when Ted Williams managed the Senators from 1969-71. The '69 Senators finished over .500 if I recall and I remember the press was all over Ted to at least pinch hit in key spots. This, at age 50. He never did although few doubted he would have hit better than the mediocre guys he asked to do that job.
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #555 on: September 21, 2018, 09:38:47 AM »

I'm thinking the Cubs had a couple of those rare player-managers in the 50s and 60s but am drawing a total blank as to any names.

Solly Hemus jumped into my head but think if he player-managed it was with the Cardinals?

Side note: I was living in DC when Ted Williams managed the Senators from 1969-71. The '69 Senators finished over .500 if I recall and I remember the press was all over Ted to at least pinch hit in key spots. This, at age 50. He never did although few doubted he would have hit better than the mediocre guys he asked to do that job.
Yes, Solly Hemus player managed The Cardinals while still playing, in 1959.  Elvin Tappe played catcher and managed The Cubs in 1962.  He was one of a rotation of Cub managers.

Phil Cavaretta managed The Cubs as a player in 1952-53.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 01:47:42 PM by Robb_K » Logged

bklynmike101

« Reply #556 on: September 21, 2018, 11:58:29 AM »

By my count, Dodgers have 9 - yes 9 layers - with 20+ HR's, counting the 2 guys who didn't play the whole year with them - Machado & Dozier. I fondly recall my '61 Yankees with 'scads" of 20+ HR hitters, including all 3 (nominal) catchers  - Yogi, Elston, Blanchard. But 9 is incredible.

Hemus and Tappe are among my "favorite" obscure players from the days of my youth. Per memory, Hemus last played in '59 (black card in '59 Topps set) and was player-manager for SL that year, before continuing on a few years as Cardinals manager, followed by Johnny Keane, who then took an ill-fated spin as Yankees skipper. Tappe, was an on and off the roster back-up catcher who retired and returned a few times as player - "college of coaches" manager.

When did I last see a pitch-out? I think it was Monday night (anyway, it was earlier this week.)  Angels' runner (maybe Shohei) running in a classic running situation. Opponent pitched out and runner was out by the proverbial mile.     

doctordoowop

« Reply #557 on: September 21, 2018, 03:01:53 PM »

How about suicide sqeeze  or steal of home?

Stanton had a 50 ft lead b/c of the shift-could have easily  done it.
bklynmike101

« Reply #558 on: September 21, 2018, 07:04:43 PM »

I know there have been some steals of home this year, but usually, it's a double-steal, some sort of fake/delayed action with runners on 1st and 3rd, or other form of "play-action". Suicide squeezes are indeed rare or non-existent these days - safety squeeze only, and not to many of those. Interferes with the players' launch-angle stats and average velocity on batted balls.   Angry 
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #559 on: September 21, 2018, 09:59:00 PM »

I know there have been some steals of home this year, but usually, it's a double-steal, some sort of fake/delayed action with runners on 1st and 3rd, or other form of "play-action". Suicide squeezes are indeed rare or non-existent these days - safety squeeze only, and not to many of those. Interferes with the players' launch-angle stats and average velocity on batted balls.   Angry 
Having 9 different players hitting 20+ Hrs on ONE team in the same year is ridiculous.  It means that just about EVERYONE is now swinging for the fences.  Not an interesting game from my point of view.  I liked the ;40s and '50s, when there were more walks than strikeouts, and a lot of singles, doubles and triples.  I don't like watching a lot of groundouts, pop-ups and strikeouts and batting averages in the 220s and 230s.  I like 7 players a team hitting over .300 and the last regular in the .290s, and lots of walks, singles, doubles and triples, and a moderate number of HRs.  Give me The 1890s (Baltimore Orioles).

doctordoowop

« Reply #560 on: September 22, 2018, 03:21:47 PM »

Agree  Robb. BTW,   how many  steals of home would  Jackie, with his 1950s mindset,   have  had when on 3rd  with the lefty   shift?   I think he stole home about 18 times in his  career.  Plus 1955  WS.

bklynmike101

« Reply #561 on: September 22, 2018, 03:41:03 PM »

Agree with youse guys. Running argument with my son...I opine that 20 Hrs is the mark of a power hitter. He says 30. I would never admit it to him, but by today's standards he's right. In the 50's/60's, 20 = power.  Here in LA, one of the guys I hated to watch or to have on our local teams was Louis Valbuena (now released) who manage to make himself into a 20 HR guy by hitting .220 tops.

The K, HR, BB game of today provides for a lot less action than the old single, stolen base, move runner over to third by trying to place a grounder to the right side,  possible squeeze, etc., game of yore.
JoeC

« Reply #562 on: September 23, 2018, 09:10:08 PM »

Yes, Solly Hemus player managed The Cardinals while still playing, in 1959.  Elvin Tappe played catcher and managed The Cubs in 1962.  He was one of a rotation of Cub managers.

Totally forgot Tappe. And, I would have said Dee Fondy but glad I didn't as Cavaretta was the player I was really trying to come up with.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 08:58:21 PM by JoeC » Logged
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #563 on: September 24, 2018, 08:25:58 PM »

Totally forget Tappe. And, I would have said Dee Fondy but glad I didn't as Cavaretta was the player I was really trying to come up with.

No surprise that you forgot Tappe, as he was just one of a gaggle of rotating coaches handling The Cubs' vacant managerial position that one year, and he was near the end of his playing career, and only played in 26 games, getting 11 hits, all singles.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 08:29:23 PM by Robb_K » Logged

bklynmike101

« Reply #564 on: Today at 11:43:57 AM »

For reasons I'll never know, I've always "loved" obscure players from back in the day - Elvin Tappe, Danny Kravitz, Joe Shipley, Zeke Bella, Coot Veal (I could go on and on). I wonder how much theoretical money I gave away in trading away my baseball cards of the likes of Gibson, Marichal, and Mays for cards of the obscure?

Jim Busby, anybody? 
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #565 on: Today at 03:09:58 PM »

For reasons I'll never know, I've always "loved" obscure players from back in the day - Elvin Tappe, Danny Kravitz, Joe Shipley, Zeke Bella, Coot Veal (I could go on and on). I wonder how much theoretical money I gave away in trading away my baseball cards of the likes of Gibson, Marichal, and Mays for cards of the obscure?

Jim Busby, anybody? 

I wouldn't call Jim Busby obscure.  He was a good-hitting outfielder, who was a regular (starting) outfielder for much of his career.  I remember him with The White Sox, Detroit, Cleveland, and Baltimore.  He did move around.  But he had a decent major league career. Bonus babies who never made it into a major league game, or only played a few games are obscure. There were some players who started a season on their Major League roster, so a baseball rookie card or regular card was printed for them, but they never became a regular, and disappeared after a few games.  THOSE players are obscure, but we know of them because they had a card printed.

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: