DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 10, 2018, 02:10:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
ATTENTION:
NO COMMERCIAL SITES OR LINKS TO COMMERCIAL SITES ALLOWED ON THIS FORUM. IF YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO SELL,
ie, CLOTHES, RECORDS, FURNTURE, ETC. DON'T DO IT HERE. THE URL WILL BE DELETED...  Mike Paladino
79114 Posts in 7100 Topics by 95 Members
Latest Member: doctordoowop
* Home Help Login Register
+  DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
|-+  OT - OFF TOPIC TOPICS :-)
| |-+  Off Topic Stuff
| | |-+  Baseball Threaad (especially from the time of our youth)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Baseball Threaad (especially from the time of our youth)  (Read 82573 times)
bklynmike101

« Reply #600 on: October 01, 2018, 12:03:03 PM »

Robb,

What about the likes of Reno Bertoia, Julio Becquer, and Ralph Lumenti? Ray Monzant? Ray Daviault? Valmy Thomas?

Or from a previous era, I had the distinct privilege in the 1970's of meeting Bob Burman when my dad had him come up to our apartment for a short visit. He told great stories of the old days - Cobb, etc.  For those not in the know, Burman caught Walter Johnson, having been a catcher in spring training, and one or two regular season games games for the Senators in 1918. He later went on to become a career high school teacher.   

Burman is obscure.  So is Ray Daviault.  I've never seen that name.  When did he play, and for whom?  Ray Monzant, Valmy Thomas and Reno Bertoia should be known by '50s and early '60s fans.  They layed a fair number of years, and had several cards, each.  Ralph Lumenti is a little less known, but I remember him.

Daviault hurled for my atrocious Mets - circa '62/63.
bklynmike101

« Reply #601 on: October 01, 2018, 12:08:30 PM »

2. Had to be the Washington Senators - circa late 40's/early 50's.

3. Maybe Bobo Newsome. He went everywhere. More recently, Edwin Jackson is now playing  for something like his 13th MLB team.
JoeC

« Reply #602 on: October 01, 2018, 12:49:21 PM »

For the four knucklleballer starters, I'm thinking with Robb's Chicago focus that maybe it's a White Sox staff. That leads me to Hoyt Wilhelm and Wilbur Wood (his student). I don't, however, think Joel Horlen was a knuckleball pitcher and can't even think of another starter of that era other than maybe John Buzhardt.

Robb: When you say "knuckleballer," do you mean that a pitcher just had the pitch in their repertoire, or that it was their primary pitch?
doctordoowop

« Reply #603 on: October 01, 2018, 09:13:10 PM »

Joe--Horlen had a good curve.  Not knuckler  I agree.
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #604 on: October 01, 2018, 09:51:43 PM »

#4. In one of the greatest baseball heists ever, White Sox got Fox from the A's for journeyman Catcher Joe Tipton.

#5. Classy lefty Billy Pierce (who had one of the sharpest breaking curves I ever saw) was picked up from Detroit. Was it just a $$ deal? I know his hometown Tigers thought they'd put one over on the White Sox because they thought Pierce had back problems that didn't bode well for his future. It was cruel how many complete game 1-0 or 2-1 pitching losses Billy had against Whitey Ford in the mid to late 50s.
#4 is CORRECT!  That answer is complete.

#5 Yes, Billy Pierce was obtained from Detroit.  But not for cash.  It was a player trade.  Detroit got back a player from The White Sox.  Who was he?
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 11:46:41 PM by Robb_K » Logged

doctordoowop

« Reply #605 on: October 01, 2018, 10:00:22 PM »

Billy  Hoeft, Don Mossi,Ray Narleski?

Hank Foiles.
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #606 on: October 01, 2018, 11:47:43 PM »

Billy  Hoeft, Don Mossi,Ray Narleski?
Hank Foiles.
No, no, no, and no.

Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #607 on: October 01, 2018, 11:52:17 PM »

3. Maybe Bobo Newsome. He went everywhere. More recently, Edwin Jackson is now playing  for something like his 13th MLB team.

Good Job!! 
#2 WAS The Washington Senators, but not late '40s or '50s.  It was a bit earlier.  Guess the exact year.  (so half done).

#3 absolutely CORRECT!!  Bobo Newsome is the guy.  #3 is finished.

Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #608 on: October 01, 2018, 11:55:55 PM »

For the four knuckleballer starters, I'm thinking with Robb's Chicago focus that maybe it's a White Sox staff. That leads me to Hoyt Wilhelm and Wilbur Wood (his student). I don't, however, think Joel Horlen was a knuckleball pitcher and can't even think of another starter of that era other than maybe John Buzhardt.

Robb: When you say "knuckleballer," do you mean that a pitcher just had the pitch in their repertoire, or that it was their primary pitch?

A Knuckleballer to get that title, had to use the knuckleball as his primary pitch.

Did Hoyt Wilhelm really play long enough to play alongside Wilbur Wood???

JoeC

« Reply #609 on: October 02, 2018, 08:38:33 AM »

Did Hoyt Wilhelm really play long enough to play alongside Wilbur Wood???

Wilhelm and Wood were on the Sox roster together in both 1967 and 1968. But, in looking that up, Wood had 8 starts in '67 and was a mainstay in the pen in '68. Wilhelm was back in the pen by then. Gary Peters. Tommy John and Horlen were the only reliable starters on those weak-hitting teams.
JoeC

« Reply #610 on: October 02, 2018, 08:48:50 AM »

Good Job!! 
#2 WAS The Washington Senators, but not late '40s or '50s.  It was a bit earlier.  Guess the exact year.  (so half done).

#3 absolutely CORRECT!!  Bobo Newsome is the guy.  #3 is finished.

Well, with Mike's identifying the team, and your clue that it was earlier than the late 40s, I just keyed on Dutch Leonard. Turns out it was the !945 Senators -- Dutch Leonard, Mickey Haefner, Roger Wolff, and Johnny Niggeling. Never even heard of the last two!
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #611 on: October 02, 2018, 02:29:46 PM »

Well, with Mike's identifying the team, and your clue that it was earlier than the late 40s, I just keyed on Dutch Leonard. Turns out it was the !945 Senators -- Dutch Leonard, Mickey Haefner, Roger Wolff, and Johnny Niggeling. Never even heard of the last two!

CORRECT!!  #2 IS NOW COMPLETED.  Johnny Niggeling played with The Braves and Reds during the early 1930s, and The Browns in the late '30s and early '40s, and Senators in the early 1940s.  Wolff played for The A's, Senators and Indians during the 1940s.  Niggeling was the "Ace" of The Browns in 1942.

JoeC

« Reply #612 on: October 02, 2018, 07:45:37 PM »

CORRECT!!  #2 IS NOW COMPLETED.  Johnny Niggeling played with The Braves and Reds during the early 1930s, and The Browns in the late '30s and early '40s, and Senators in the early 1940s.  Wolff played for The A's, Senators and Indians during the 1940s.  Niggeling was the "Ace" of The Browns in 1942.

Speaking of the StL Browns, always recall the 1951 season of Ned Garver who went 20-12, with 24 complete games (out of 30 games started). As usual the Browns finished dead last, only winning 52 games. 
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #613 on: October 02, 2018, 08:25:39 PM »

So far, we've answered #2, 3, 4, 6, and 10.  We need to answer #s 1, 5, 7, 8, and 9.

JoeC

« Reply #614 on: October 02, 2018, 09:28:37 PM »

1) Name as many players as you can who played for both or all 3 of the major league teams in their city.

I'll start with New York:

- Sal Maglie and Bobo Newsom -- NY Giants, Brooklyn and NYY

- Daryl Strawberry - Mets and NYY

- Gil Hodges, Duke Snider, Charlie Neal, Chico Fernandez, Don Zimmer, Clem Labine and Roger Craig -- Bklyn Dodgers and NY Mets

- Willie Mays and Eddie Bressoud - NY Giants and Mets

- Marv Throneberry, Willie Randolph, Phil Linz, Curtis Granderson, Tom Sturdivant, Ralph Terry, Hal Reniff and Gene Woodling  -- NYY and Mets

doctordoowop

« Reply #615 on: October 02, 2018, 11:29:55 PM »

Nice  job  Joe.

Dont forget  Casey! Grin Grin Grin

Or Durocher.
JoeC

« Reply #616 on: October 03, 2018, 07:45:56 AM »

Nice  job  Joe.

Or Durocher.

Yeah, there's gotta be a slew of the real old-timers who should be included. Leo and Casey should be included as players, and Leo again as manager of both the Dodgers and Giants.

The early Mets clearly had a soft spot for old Brooklyn Dodgers. No so for older Giants.
JoeC

« Reply #617 on: October 03, 2018, 11:05:58 AM »

#1 -- LA Dodgers and Angels

I can only think of four (am sure there are MANY more):

Andy Messersmith, Tommy John and Ken McMullen; from modern era, Howie Kendrick

doctordoowop

« Reply #618 on: October 03, 2018, 03:12:26 PM »

Interesting stat--baseball  of course has gone computer crazy-- the A's  starter  today  against Yanks  is only the  4TH  starter  of  a  playoff  game to to  have  a 0-0  record.   
2 recently  had 0-0 records  because of  injury.  The 4th  is Virgil  Trucks--in 1945 for Tigers v. Cubs.  He had just been discharged from Army.  RIP  Virgil.
JoeC

« Reply #619 on: October 03, 2018, 03:46:59 PM »

Great 12 inning NL Wild Card game last night. Tension at Wrigley was high from!! Place was rocking. Personally, I'm glad to see the Rockies and Brewers back in the playoffs. Been awhile! Good to see some new blood.
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #620 on: October 03, 2018, 06:34:42 PM »

Nice  job  Joe.

Or Durocher.

Yeah, there's gotta be a slew of the real old-timers who should be included. Leo and Casey should be included as players, and Leo again as manager of both the Dodgers and Giants.

The early Mets clearly had a soft spot for old Brooklyn Dodgers. No so for older Giants.

Which great Home Run hitter played for both The NY Giants, and Yankees?    What great Home Run Hitter played for both The Red Sox and Braves?  Which great HR hitter played for both The Braves and brewers?  Several very good players played for both The Cubs and White Sox, and Cards and Browns.  A few played for The Red Sox and Braves.

JoeC

« Reply #621 on: October 03, 2018, 07:18:19 PM »

Which great Home Run hitter played for both The NY Giants, and Yankees?    What great Home Run Hitter played for both The Red Sox and Braves?  Which great HR hitter played for both The Braves and brewers?  Several very good players played for both The Cubs and White Sox, and Cards and Browns.  A few played for The Red Sox and Braves.

More my speed!

- Johnny Mize has to be the slugger who played for Giants and Yanks.
- Babe Ruth. for Red Sox and Boston Braves
- Hank Aaron, Braves and Brewers
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #622 on: October 03, 2018, 08:53:14 PM »

- Johnny Mize has to be the slugger who played for Giants and Yanks.
- Babe Ruth. for Red Sox and Boston Braves
- Hank Aaron, Braves and Brewers

ALL 3 correct.  I can't believe no one thought of them to list for #1.  What about Cardinals greats who played for The Browns near the very end of their careers?  What about Cub stars who played for The white Sox near their career ends?  What about NL stars who were raided by their new AL rivals during the first couple years of The AL?  What about NL players raided by their new crosstown rivals from The new American Association, The Players' League, or The Federal League?

doctordoowop

« Reply #623 on: October 03, 2018, 09:20:53 PM »

Joe-correct--glad  to see  Cubs gone.   Hard to believe Yelich is better than Stanton.   Not a fluke  --think this will  continue.

Stanton  went to N Dame  High on Woodman  in SF  valley.  Yelich  from Chatsworth  or another  SF Valley HS  in  that area.

El  Toro  HS-Romine,  Arenado &  Chapman !!
bklynmike101

« Reply #624 on: October 04, 2018, 12:35:31 AM »

Your note on Ned Garver reminded me of one of the remarkable stat lines compiled by an ex-Brownie - Mr. Don Larsen. In his 1st year with the newly christened Orioles of Baltimore, he went 3 and 21!

That's quite an accomplishment, even for a guy who "regularly" tossed perfect games in World Series outings. Wink
JoeC

« Reply #625 on: October 04, 2018, 08:02:04 AM »

Your note on Ned Garver reminded me of one of the remarkable stat lines compiled by an ex-Brownie - Mr. Don Larsen. In his 1st year with the newly christened Orioles of Baltimore, he went 3 and 21!

That's quite an accomplishment, even for a guy who "regularly" tossed perfect games in World Series outings. Wink

I recall that 3-21 record. Had to look at the stats on the back of his baseball card twice! His ERA was 4.37. Not bad by today's standards!
doctordoowop

« Reply #626 on: October 04, 2018, 09:24:54 AM »

Wasn't Craig  6-24  for 1962  Mets?
JoeC

« Reply #627 on: October 04, 2018, 09:38:53 AM »

Wasn't Craig  6-24  for 1962  Mets?

Roger went 10-24. Jack Fisher was 8-24 for the '65 Mets. Fisher's ERA was, btw, under 4.00. Al Jackson also lost 20 for that same 1965 Mets team.

Red Ruffing lost 25 in 1928 and 22 the following season for the Red Sox. The great Walter Johnson lost 25 in 1909. Ruffing finally got into the HoF and has a plaque in Monument Park. Johnson was a "first five" selectee to the HoF.
JoeC

« Reply #628 on: October 04, 2018, 12:54:03 PM »

All I got!

Cubs and White Sox players

Sammy Sosa
Johnny Callison
Smoky Burgess
Steve Stone
Donnie Kessinger
Phil Cavaretta

Cardinals and Browns players

Rogers Hornsby
Marty Marion

Phillies and Athletics Players

Skeeter Newsome
Elmer Valo

doctordoowop

« Reply #629 on: October 04, 2018, 01:06:07 PM »

Joe--are u  eating  the same food as Robb?   You are  Robb Jr. Grin Grin Grin Grin
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: