DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 22, 2017, 02:11:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
ATTENTION:
NO COMMERCIAL SITES OR LINKS TO COMMERCIAL SITES ALLOWED ON THIS FORUM. IF YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO SELL,
ie, CLOTHES, RECORDS, FURNTURE, ETC. DON'T DO IT HERE. THE URL WILL BE DELETED...  Mike Paladino
75137 Posts in 6941 Topics by 192 Members
Latest Member: doowopbob
* Home Help Login Register
+  DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
|-+  OT - OFF TOPIC TOPICS :-)
| |-+  Off Topic Stuff
| | |-+  Hockey Thread (especially from our youth)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hockey Thread (especially from our youth)  (Read 13342 times)
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« on: February 05, 2017, 04:24:14 PM »

I grew up in Winnipeg, Manitoba during the late 1940s, 1950s and early 1960s.  I played organised youth hockey from age 6 through 17, including major bantam and major midget, and into Junior A, before moving to Chicago.  As Winnipeg had no NHL team, I became a fan of The Chicago Blackhawks, as we had family there that we visited each year. We had a neighbour, whose parents were good family friends of ours (Ab McDonald), who started playing in The Blackhawks' system in the early '50s, and played 7 years for The Blackhawks.  When he was traded to The St. Louis Blues in 1968, I became a fan of that team.

bklynmike101

« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2017, 05:41:14 PM »

Nothing to add except I sure remember Ab McDonald. One of those guys with what I then considered to be an colorful or unusual first name, as in the Moose Vasko/Orland Kurtenbach Division.

Wait, I used to go to a dry cleaner outside San Francisco who hailed from Regina and claimed to have been Gordie Howe's neighbor while growing up.  I wonder if that was true?
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2017, 06:21:30 PM »

Nothing to add except I sure remember Ab McDonald. One of those guys with what I then considered to be an colorful or unusual first name, as in the Moose Vasko/Orland Kurtenbach Division.

Wait, I used to go to a dry cleaner outside San Francisco who hailed from Regina and claimed to have been Gordie Howe's neighbor while growing up.  I wonder if that was true?

What's so colourful about the name, "Abner"?  It's just an old-time name from The Bible, maybe not so common now, but it was pretty common in Canada in The 1930s-50s.  I can even think of a Ranger from your time with that name, Ab DeMarco, Jr.  His father was a great NHL player.  Like Abraham (Abram) Hebrew: Av Ram (exalted father) - (the respected father of his people). Abner (Av Ner) means: father of light (The Lord is the father of light).

As far as that guy from Regina, he may have been telling the truth, or exaggerating some.  Gordie was always publicised as having been so strong from having been raised on a farm, and lifting 100 lb manure sacks and lifting even heavier hay bales.  He was from a rural area southeast of Saskatoon, a fair bit north of Regina.  When he was 16, a Detroit Red Wings' scout signed him in early 1944. That summer, he moved to Galt, Ontario, to play Junior A hockey that fall, and season in The Ontario Hockey Association.  He was sent to The Wings' farm team in Omaha of The United States Hockey League in 1945-46. Gordie never really moved back to Saskatchewan, only returned for visits in summer.  The fellow from Regina either grew up on the next farm over, in Floral, before moving to Regina, or he was exaggerating quite a bit (meaning that he lived in the same part of the Province).
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 12:46:09 AM by Robb_K » Logged

bklynmike101

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2017, 01:25:46 AM »

Never knew/thought that Ab stood for Abner. I was maybe 14-15, when I "discovered" hockey, the last of the big 4 sports to which I have or have had an interest. One thing for sure is that my universe of "normal" given names was quite a bit narrower back then than it is now. At the time, Ab just struck me as unusual. I have known many people named Abe/Abraham/Avram, but never anyone called Ab (other than Mr. McDonald). But I do think there was a character called Abner in an old sitcom I used to watch (can't recall which one), and of course there was Lil' Abner (comic strip) and Abner Doubleday, the non-inventor of baseball.

As to my dry cleaner (it was a her), beginning to sound like an exaggeration. If so, not the only time I've encountered someone who claimed some connection to a famous person or sports figure or claimed to have "played for" or "had a tryout" with sports team, that proved to be bogus. But a few (not many) turned out to be legitimate as well. Oh well, still makes for a good story... 
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2017, 04:45:25 AM »

Never knew/thought that Ab stood for Abner. I was maybe 14-15, when I "discovered" hockey, the last of the big 4 sports to which I have or have had an interest. One thing for sure is that my universe of "normal" given names was quite a bit narrower back then than it is now. At the time, Ab just struck me as unusual. I have known many people named Abe/Abraham/Avram, but never anyone called Ab (other than Mr. McDonald). But I do think there was a character called Abner in an old sitcom I used to watch (can't recall which one), and of course there was Lil' Abner (comic strip) and Abner Doubleday, the non-inventor of baseball.

As to my dry cleaner (it was a her), beginning to sound like an exaggeration. If so, not the only time I've encountered someone who claimed some connection to a famous person or sports figure or claimed to have "played for" or "had a tryout" with sports team, that proved to be bogus. But a few (not many) turned out to be legitimate as well. Oh well, still makes for a good story...  

Now that I know that the person from Saskatchewan was a woman, I tend to believe that she was a farm girl from Floral.  Living near Gordie wouldn't be the kind of thing a woman would fib about.  I doubt that she lived on the next farm over, but that town had about 2,000 people and was very small.  Wherever she lived would have been nearby.  A woman might brag about having dated him.  It's the kind of thing a man would lie about to brag.  In addition, in the Prairie Provinces, long distances are nothing.  People drive their trucks 400 miles just to go shopping.  It's less than 200 miles from Regina to Floral.  In a rural area, saying one was a "neighbour" of someone can be a figure of speech (meaning they came from the same general area - especially when far away, in another country).  Everything is relative.  She may have simply meant that she came from the same part of the same province as did the only Canadian you've ever heard of.  What a coincidence, eh?  Or did she say she used to bring hot muffins over to his house every Sunday?  Cheesy
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 07:03:59 PM by Robb_K » Logged

bklynmike101

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2017, 12:02:29 PM »

She was a real nice lady with whom I'd casually chat when bringing in my clothes. Her husband might have been a Brit, as I foggily now recall his accent. Possibly Jewish too, an even more foggy remembrance. She didn't seem to be the fibbing type, but people sometimes say strange things to self-promote, so who knows. I much enjoyed your description of life in the prairie provinces, an area (both US and Canada) with which I'm not terribly familiar. As for Canada, I do know a folk or two, originally from my NHL interest and later from several (10+) visits. As it happens, one son graduated from UBC in "Van", my wife's sister married a guy from the Toronto area - the couple now residing in Squamish, B.C, and his brother, whom we've met as well is with the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (fabulous uniforms they have).

If nothing else, ya gots ta love Canadian place names, from Kamloops to Squamish to Medicine Hat to Yellowknife to Chicoutimi.

Once upon a time a guy who worked directly for me suddenly claimed to have played for the NY Knicks. One look at him and you'd know that could not even have been remotely possible. But he insisted. In those pre-Internet days, I looked him up in my basketball encyclopedia which had stats of every player who had ever graced the NBA (and predecessor leagues - e.g. BAA, ABL, ABA, etc.) hardwoods up to the time of publication. Naturally, his name was nowhere to be found. Typical.     
JoeC

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2017, 05:28:03 PM »

First team with a recommendation from their scout to sign Gordie was the NY Rangers. Howe turned them down because they wanted to send him someplace he didn't want to go. Red Wings snapped him up the following year.

Question: Howe scored the most total goals of any player in the Original Six. Who scored the second most?  Right winger.
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2017, 08:23:32 PM »

First team with a recommendation from their scout to sign Gordie was the NY Rangers. Howe turned them down because they wanted to send him someplace he didn't want to go. Red Wings snapped him up the following year.

Question: Howe scored the most total goals of any player in the Original Six. Who scored the second most?  Right winger.

You'll need to define what you mean by "2nd most total career goals of any player in the Original Six".  Does that mean total goals while playing for an "original six" team?  Or do you mean 2nd most career goals at the end of The 1966-67 season (the last season before expansion).

JoeC

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2017, 08:57:28 PM »

You'll need to define what you mean by "2nd most total career goals of any player in the Original Six".  Does that mean total goals while playing for an "original six" team?  Or do you mean 2nd most career goals at the end of The 1966-67 season (the last season before expansion).

The latter, Robb. Howe scored hundreds of goals while there were only the 6 teams, and then scored hundreds more after expansion. The player I'm thinking of was 2nd in total goals to Gordie at the end of that last pre-expansion season. Unlike Gordie, his career ended some years before expansion.

doctordoowop

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2017, 11:45:27 PM »

Maurice?
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2017, 12:34:35 AM »

Maurice?

Yep!  The Rocket had 544, and I remember when Gordie passed him in the early '60s.  Nobody else did, until Bobby Hull a few years after expansion.

JoeC

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2017, 09:40:13 AM »

Yep, the Rocket.

Read where Howe was listed as an "ambidextrous" shot. Whereas, most players are listed as either a left or right handed shot (Rocket was a left handed shot). What exactly does ambidextrous in a hockey sense mean? That Gordie, a RW, changed up his grip as the situation called for?
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2017, 10:41:09 AM »

Howe listed as ambidextrous shot. What is ambidextrous in hockey?
It means the player shoots with the stick on both left & right side of his body. In the old days before Bobby Hull started bending his stick blade, players had straight blades. That meant you could just turn the stick around, & using it would be the same, either way (with the stick located on left or right side of the body). About 75% now, but 85% when I was a kid) shot from the side of their "weak hand", because their strong hand would be on top to control the stick in their "swinging motion", & their weak hand was too weak when they started playing as a little kid. The stick is controlled from the top hand and arm. In Canada, most kids start at 5 to 7, most shoot from left, as most are born right-handed. Right-handed shooters are natural lefties, plus players who started playing later (10+). So, there are lots more right handed shooters among Americans, as they start later, on average. As 75% of players shoot left handed, half the right wingers play on the "off wing", shooting the opposite way to what would be natural to keep the puck protected (shielded from the defender by the puck carrier's body on the wall side) while the carrier drives up ice.

Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2017, 10:44:05 AM »

Continued from above:
There's advantage to shooting from the off wing, in that the angle towards the net is less extreme, making an easier shot, resulting in higher % accuracy (getting puck on net) IF puck isn't stolen by the defender on a poke check, or the play isn't broken up by his getting his stick on it. Gordie was so strong that he controlled the stick in both directions even when young. He was very comfortable shooting from both sides. Normal players use backhand shots (emphasis comes from the lower arm, in a flip motion in situations where the stick can't be brought over to the forehand side. But backhand is weaker, and is no good at distance. A strong player, or player comfortable from both sides, will just make a forehand shot, using his lower arm/hand as the controlling arm, where the playing not used to shooting from his "off hand" will be limited to a weaker backhand shot. I built up my left arm strength at age 7, using my weak hand exclusively, so I was ambidexterous by 9. Backhand shot is BETTER close in on goal, as it's better for lifting the puck over the goalie, as the angle the stick makes on the ice is more slanted, making it easier to get under the puck, and flip it up.

jp05

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2017, 03:59:08 PM »

Joe C, Gordie Howe was known to switch from left hand to right hand while skating and then scoring a goal. I'm a right hand shot, taking up the game in my teens, and couldn't coordinate having the right hand high. As a result, a less than stellar shot!

Hockey is still my favorite sport, trailed by (American) football and baseball, depending on the season. Hockey is the one sport where normal sized people can be very competitive and make up for lack of talent with a strong desire and tolerance for pain. Baseball in my opinion, beyond the youth leagues demands more hand-eye coordination to play well. But is very easy to read a book, magazine or newspaper while watching baseball on TV.

I now play lots of golf (4x a week, sometimes more) and moved to Florida at least part time 20 years ago so I "could play golf all year in shorts". Now hear 8 months a year in Ft. Myers, with an ECHL franchise (Florida Everblades) about 15 minutes away, and the Lightning and Panthers about 90 minutes away. I miss NE for the college hockey, but the ECHL is very good hockey. And we have the Red Sox and Twins here for spring training if you need a live baseball fix.
JoeC

« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2017, 05:58:06 PM »

Robb and jp, thanks for the comments/explanation.
doctordoowop

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2017, 08:01:28 PM »

Did Bob Costas  start out announcing  Nets?Ducks? Grin Grin Grin Grin
JoeC

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2017, 08:16:09 PM »

Think Costas started out doing play-by-play of ABA games for his hometown Spirits of St. Louis.

When I went to Ducks games (1959-62), I don't think they had ANY broadcasts whatsoever. They started out "unaffiliated" with any Original Six team. Meaning, they really operated on a shoestring budget. Didn't draw well either in those early days at least.

Only Ducks player I recall was John Muckler, a defenseman who went on to become an NHL HC and GM with multiple NHL teams.
JoeC

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2017, 08:19:02 PM »

Am I right in thinking the term "one timer" relates to a player shooting the instant the puck hits his stick?

How long has this been a hockey term? I don't recall it being used years ago.
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2017, 10:30:14 PM »

Am I right in thinking the term "one timer" relates to a player shooting the instant the puck hits his stick?

How long has this been a hockey term? I don't recall it being used years ago.
Yes.  You are correct.  I heard that term used in Canada as early as the 1960 or so.  But, I don't remember Foster Hewitt or Danny Gallivan using it on Hockey Night in Canada.

JoeC

« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2017, 10:36:39 PM »

In watching the Washington Caps games here, the term must be used 10 times a game.
doctordoowop

« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2017, 10:36:54 PM »

That is  one timer--not  used by Elliot or Albert.  How hockey has changed--can't change line if  ice. Delay penalty  if hit puck intentionally  into  stands.  

Blocks by  non-goalies  is fairly new---how about  keeping track of hits.  

Costas hometown is Commack.  Know he started  with  St Louis.
JoeC

« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2017, 11:39:57 PM »

Didn't know that about Costas's hometown. So, we lived maybe 15 miles apart but he's  8 1/2 years younger than me. Where is the LI accent? Guess the Newhouse School at Syracuse knocked it out of him.
doctordoowop

« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2017, 01:20:01 AM »

Maybe all the plastic surgery  knocked  it out of him.

BTW, Boomer from  Patchogue,  Kupchak  too?
JoeC

« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2017, 09:35:42 AM »

Maybe all the plastic surgery  knocked  it out of him.

BTW, Boomer from  Patchogue,  Kupchak  too?

Boomer went to East Islip HS (which, along with Patchogue HS, were Sayville HS's big rivals). Very near to where Doowopdan lived. Kupchak was from Brentwood I thought. Yaz, Red Sox HoFer was a little older than me. He was from Bridgehampton,  (all potato farms back then).
bklynmike101

« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2017, 11:57:06 AM »

I definitely remember the term "one timer" commonly being used on NHL broadcasts back in the day - meaning as far back as the 1970's at least. 
doctordoowop

« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2017, 12:23:55 PM »

Gowdy  said  Yaz  from RON--CONN-COMO  --accent on wrong syllable.
JoeC

« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2017, 05:49:44 PM »

Gowdy  said  Yaz  from RON--CONN-COMO  --accent on wrong syllable.

Gowdy lied.
JoeC

« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2017, 05:52:33 PM »

Strike that. Let's just say he was misinformed.

From Carl's own website: "Carl Michael Yastrzemski, better known as "Yaz" or "Captain Carl", was born on August 22, 1939 in Southhampton, New York. The son of a potato farmer, Yastrzemski grew up in the small town of Bridgehampton, Long Island.

He attended Bridgehampton High School, where he set numerous records in basketball, football and baseball. As a basketball player, he set the all-time individual conference scoring record of 628 points. As a baseball players, Yastrzemski hit .512 for his career at Bridgehampton High.

After graduating from high school in 1957, Yastrzemski went on to attend Notre Dame University with a scholarship to play both baseball and basketball. While still in his first year at Notre Dame, his seemingly limitless potential on the ball field led him to sign a baseball contract with the Boston Red Sox."
doctordoowop

« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2017, 08:57:05 PM »

Like  Rick  who  came to  Casablanca for the waters. Grin Grin Grin
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: