DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 21, 2019, 11:47:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
ATTENTION:
NO COMMERCIAL SITES OR LINKS TO COMMERCIAL SITES ALLOWED ON THIS FORUM. IF YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO SELL,
ie, CLOTHES, RECORDS, FURNTURE, ETC. DON'T DO IT HERE. THE URL WILL BE DELETED...  Mike Paladino
79536 Posts in 7136 Topics by 64 Members
Latest Member: doctordoowop
* Home Help Login Register
+  DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
|-+  OT - OFF TOPIC TOPICS :-)
| |-+  Off Topic Stuff
| | |-+  Jackie Robinson Color Film
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Jackie Robinson Color Film  (Read 407 times)
JoeC

« on: December 17, 2018, 02:45:47 PM »

From 1947 at Wrigley Field, a bit before my time as I was 3-4 yrs old. No audio.

Anyone know who the guy is walking and talking with Jackie, beginning around the 26 sec mark? I might have guessed Billy Cox but he wasn't with Bklyn that year.

Anyone recognize anyone else?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXvp8q0FTFI

Pee Wee Reese and Campy in Gillette commercial. Think "Al" is broadcaster Al Helfer but could be wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtv-BnUgnYI
« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 02:53:47 PM by JoeC » Logged
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2018, 07:54:42 PM »

From 1947 at Wrigley Field, a bit before my time as I was 3-4 yrs old. No audio.

Anyone know who the guy is walking and talking with Jackie, beginning around the 26 sec mark? I might have guessed Billy Cox but he wasn't with Bklyn that year.

Anyone recognize anyone else?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXvp8q0FTFI

Pee Wee Reese and Campy in Gillette commercial. Think "Al" is broadcaster Al Helfer but could be wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtv-BnUgnYI
Yes, Al must be Al Helfer.

The players are all moving so fast it's hard to get a look at them.  I guess I could pause the film.  But some of the players' numbers show.  So, you Dodger fans should be able to tell who a few of them are.  I didn't recognise Carl Furillo, Pee Wee Reese, Duke Snider, or Pete Reiser, Dixie Walker, or even Eddie Stanky, or even Eddie Miksis or Gene Hermanski.  I didn't recognise ANYONE I should have.  Maybe one of them was Spider Jorganson.  I don't remember what he looked like.  One of the l;ittle guys might be Eddie Stanky, but I remember what he looked like, and don't remember seeing him in the film.

JoeC

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2018, 08:59:52 PM »

The #13 pitcher warming up at the film's start is likely Ralph Branca. Both Branca and Kirby Higbe were righthanders and both wore #13 at various points in the 1947 season. The player looks like a pretty big guy so I'm going with Branca.

The guy walking and talking with Jackie could be a bat boy (they grew them big back then). But then, doubtful the Dodgers bat boy at Wrigley would be sporting a Brooklyn uniform (unless they brought him or a uniform with them). My next thought was Al Gionfriddo but this film is from May 1947 and I don't think Al joined them until later in the year.
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2018, 11:30:44 PM »

The #13 pitcher warming up at the film's start is likely Ralph Branca. Both Branca and Kirby Higbe were righthanders and both wore #13 at various points in the 1947 season. The player looks like a pretty big guy so I'm going with Branca.

The guy walking and talking with Jackie could be a bat boy (they grew them big back then). But then, doubtful the Dodgers bat boy at Wrigley would be sporting a Brooklyn uniform (unless they brought him or a uniform with them). My next thought was Al Gionfriddo but this film is from May 1947 and I don't think Al joined them until later in the year.
I thought of Gionfriddo, too.  But he guy in the film had dirty blonde hair.  Gionfriddo's was jet black, and he was somewhat taller and so, appeared skinnier (or, at least lankier) than that little shrimp. 

Why did The Dodgers have 2 players using #13 in the same year?  That's very confusing, EVEN if the 1st one was traded away, and the 2nd one came up to the team only after the first one was gone.  If I were manager or GM, I would wait at least till the next season to have a player use a number another player used earlier.

Visiting teams never brought their own batboys to Wrigley in the hundreds of games I saw there.

JoeC

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2018, 09:02:13 AM »

I thought of Gionfriddo, too.  But he guy in the film had dirty blonde hair.  Gionfriddo's was jet black, and he was somewhat taller and so, appeared skinnier (or, at least lankier) than that little shrimp.  

Why did The Dodgers have 2 players using #13 in the same year?  That's very confusing, EVEN if the 1st one was traded away, and the 2nd one came up to the team only after the first one was gone.  If I were manager or GM, I would wait at least till the next season to have a player use a number another player used earlier.

Visiting teams never brought their own batboys to Wrigley in the hundreds of games I saw there.

Kirby Higbe was traded to the Pirates in the very early weeks of the 1947 season (as it turns out, for Gionfriddo, Mauch and two others). Branca wanted the unlucky number and took it when Higbe's trade made it become available. He previously wore #20. Today, Branca would've just offered Higbe $1M for it. Chump change.
doctordoowop

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2018, 01:18:36 AM »

Thot Gionfridot too.See Branca. Will  look for  more. 
Cool  commercial--prob is Helfer.
doctordoowop

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2018, 01:21:58 AM »

Pafko,Russ Meyer?
JoeC

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2018, 08:51:18 AM »

Robb, I gotta disagree with your "dirty blond hair" comment on the guy walking with Jackie. Looks black enough to me.

And, when I said Al Gionfriddo wasn't with the Dodgers on May 18, 1947, I was wrong. The trade to acquire Al happened May 3rd.

So, I'm going with "The Little Italian" (his non-pc nickname back then) as our mystery man.

Hard to compare height in that film. Al was 5'6, Jackie 5'11.
doctordoowop

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2018, 10:34:30 PM »

Agree  Joe--usually  players not that  "friendly  & chatty "   with  visiting bat  boys.
JoeC

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2018, 08:55:01 AM »

Agree, Doc.

How old were "bat boys" back in the 40s and 50s? I'm of two minds. I certainly recall  kids (maybe around age 12) but I also remember bat boys who looked to be 17-18 yrs old. More like clubhouse attendants. Guys who certainly could "play catch" with a player pre-game.

How did you get to be one? I think Happy Felton occasionally had a contest to be a "bat boy for a day." But, in general? Through knowing somebody?
doctordoowop

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2018, 12:40:42 AM »

There  many  non PC  names  then.   JoeD  was  called"the dago"  by  teammates & others. 

Joe Louis-Brown  Bomber.

Ill  have to  search  for more.
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2018, 01:12:42 PM »

Agree, Doc.

How old were "bat boys" back in the 40s and 50s? I'm of two minds. I certainly recall  kids (maybe around age 12) but I also remember bat boys who looked to be 17-18 yrs old. More like clubhouse attendants. Guys who certainly could "play catch" with a player pre-game.

How did you get to be one? I think Happy Felton occasionally had a contest to be a "bat boy for a day." But, in general? Through knowing somebody?

Bat boys on The Cubs were 12-15 or so.  I don't remember any as old as 17 or 18.  They HAD to know someone.  That's how things were done in Chicago.  Their were no open, public fair situations.  No job was ever gotten by reading a public job announcement, interviewing, and "winning" the job based on being best at meeting qualifications.

bklynmike101

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2018, 01:53:42 PM »

There  many  non PC  names  then.   JoeD  was  called"the dago"  by  teammates & others. 

Joe Louis-Brown  Bomber.

My favorite, may or may not be  all that un-PC: Puddin'head Jones (a pretty good player actually - aka Willie Jones) .
bklynmike101

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2018, 01:57:14 PM »

Joe Louis-Brown  Bomber.

My favorite, may or may not be  all that un-PC: Puddin'head Jones (a pretty good player actually - aka Willie Jones) .

I had a friend who was supposedly lined up to be a ball boy for the NY Knicks although something ultimately went awry and it didn't happen. In his case, his dad was 'sportswriter' for a publication called Woman's Wear Daily (though I never understood why a publication under that name would have a sportswriter at that time)  and had numerous 'connections' with Knicks management.
doctordoowop

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2018, 11:54:10 PM »

Twain  had a great book-Puddin Head Wilson.    Twain of  course  is no  paragon  of modern   PC--but  Puddin Head  in the book  meant  just silly--and  he was mistakenly  called  that by  guys in a bar.
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2018, 11:28:57 AM »

Twain  had a great book-Puddin Head Wilson.    Twain of  course  is no  paragon  of modern   PC--but  Puddin Head  in the book  meant  just silly--and  he was mistakenly  called  that by  guys in a bar.

Another way of saying...... "mush brains" , "vacancy in the rafters",   "nothing upstairs"

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: