DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 17, 2017, 11:34:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
ATTENTION:
NO COMMERCIAL SITES OR LINKS TO COMMERCIAL SITES ALLOWED ON THIS FORUM. IF YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO SELL,
ie, CLOTHES, RECORDS, FURNTURE, ETC. DON'T DO IT HERE. THE URL WILL BE DELETED...  Mike Paladino
75103 Posts in 6940 Topics by 192 Members
Latest Member: doowopbob
* Home Help Login Register
+  DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
|-+  OT - OFF TOPIC TOPICS :-)
| |-+  Off Topic Stuff
| | |-+  Hockey Thread (especially from our youth)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hockey Thread (especially from our youth)  (Read 12949 times)
doctordoowop

« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2017, 07:53:28 PM »

Ike  Davis-son of  Ron--playing for Israel in WBC.  Didn;t  know was  Jewish.  Shawn Green,  Ausmus,  Kapler  were coaches  4  yrs  ago
bklynmike101

« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2017, 12:31:15 PM »

I think a recent article said Ausmus is currently team manager for Israel in the WBC, and Shawn Green & Gabe Kapler are currently player-coaches (or coaches only - don't recall). I think I also saw where Ike currently has a minor league contract wit the standard spring training invite from one of the MLB squads.   
doctordoowop

« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2017, 07:10:01 PM »

Yes-pix  in LA Times of those 3. Just read about  Davis playing for Israel.
JoeC

« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2017, 08:31:57 PM »

Robb, maybe you can confirm this. Saw a TV clip on how Jacques Plante became the first goalie to wear a mask in an NHL game. What shocked me was the statement that, in the 50s, teams did NOT carry a backup goalie. At least, not when they traveled. Could that be true?

Story was that (1) Jacques had been wearing a mask in practice for two years when Bathgate's shot to the face did such damage, (2) that Toe Blake had refused to let him wear a mask in a game, and (3) with his face all torn up (and no backup goaltender), Blake finally had co give in. Plante took heavy abuse from fans, players and fellow goalies for quite a while.
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2017, 09:39:15 PM »

Robb, maybe you can confirm this. Saw a TV clip on how Jacques Plante became the first goalie to wear a mask in an NHL game. What shocked me was the statement that, in the 50s, teams did NOT carry a backup goalie. At least, not when they traveled. Could that be true?

Story was that (1) Jacques had been wearing a mask in practice for two years when Bathgate's shot to the face did such damage, (2) that Toe Blake had refused to let him wear a mask in a game, and (3) with his face all torn up (and no backup goaltender), Blake finally had co give in. Plante took heavy abuse from fans, players and fellow goalies for quite a while.

Yes.  BOTH of those statements are true.  Plante's face was so cut up, that Blake absolutely HAD to let him wear it.  He liked it so much, he never took it off!!!

Yes, when I first was watching The NHL, each team only had one goalie on the roster.  The back-up was in The AHL, and COULDN'T relieve the hurt goalie in an NHL game.  Another player (usually a defenceman, had to put on the pads and play in an emergency.  If the back-up from the minors couldn't get to their next game on time, The short team often borrowed a goalie from their opponent's nearby minor league team.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 09:52:13 PM by Robb_K » Logged

JoeC

« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2017, 09:51:31 PM »

Yes.  BOTH of those statements are true.  Plante's face was so cut up, that Blake absolutely HAD to let him wear it.  He liked it so much, he never took it off!!!

With no back up goaltender, unless the injury happened right near the end of the 1st or 2nd period, SOMEONE had to play goal while Jacques went to the dressing room for medical attention. Wonder who?
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2017, 09:55:35 PM »

Yes.  BOTH of those statements are true.  Plante's face was so cut up, that Blake absolutely HAD to let him wear it.  He liked it so much, he never took it off!!!

With no back up goaltender, unless the injury happened right near the end of the 1st or 2nd period, SOMEONE had to play goal while Jacques went to the dressing room for medical attention. Wonder who?

I think it was defenceman, Doug Harvey, if I remember correctly.
[/quote]

doctordoowop

« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2017, 11:48:48 PM »

Very  weird rules  in hockey.  As I recall,  the HOME  team had a back up  emergency goalie. He played for however needed him.!!  it sems he was marginal at best. But back  in day only had 9 forwards,4 defense men and 1 goalie.

They never came  out.

Ironic that Sawchuck was  killed  by another Ranger  in  a fite. IN Long Beach where all  Rangers lived.  Who  did it?  Fleming, Nevin?   No crim  charge.
doctordoowop

« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2017, 11:59:28 PM »

Caps have  scored 5  goals  in  10  st  home games.

Second only to  70 Bruins. Espo   had  76 goals and  Orr  102 assists.
JoeC

« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2017, 09:33:45 AM »

Long Beach was like a Ranger compound. If you wanted some privacy, guess it would be as good a place as any to live.
JoeC

« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2017, 09:48:32 AM »

Robb, as our resident ex-Canadian, always wondered if the NHL was "culture blind." Talking about French ancestry/speaking players. For example, I'm looking at  a 1954-55 NY Rangers game program and see the Rangers only had two players who have French surnames -- Camille Henry and penalty killer Aldo Guidolin.  Whereas, I suspect the Canadiens were the polar opposite.

Was this just a matter of the team's geography or, did it go deeper?

Also, for Rangers fans, see in that program (which cost 25 cents back then), the Rangers TV announcers (on WPIX) were Bud Palmer and Jimmy Powers (NY Daily News Sports Editor) who did "color".  Win Elliott and Ward Wilson did the radio on WMGM.
doctordoowop

« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2017, 03:18:47 PM »

Palmer--his family has  Princeton  Football stadium named after them.

Powers  terrible  did fri nite Gillette fites before Dunphy graduated to  TV.
bklynmike101

« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2017, 03:22:53 PM »

Teammate Ron Stewart "accidentally" killed Sawchuk pursuant to a bar fight the two "friends" engaged in. Tough day for rangers fans. Tougher day for Sawchuk.

I recall Life magazine running a spread on Sawchuk and his mangled face. He reportedly had some astronomical number of facial stitches, including skin grafts taken from his thighs to replace "face" that was no longer there.

Those were some tough dudes in 'dem 'der days.

I had no idea teams had no back-up goaltender at one time (before my time). Holy C"*&&&!

Sawchuk & Plante were arguably some of the best goaltenders ever.

Plante was known for developing and building his mask himself.
bklynmike101

« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2017, 03:24:55 PM »

The other Long Beach (California) had a minor league team called the Ice Dogs a few years back. I was at several of their games - fun stuff - affordable ticket prices.
JoeC

« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2017, 04:10:58 PM »

Plante was known for developing and building his mask himself.

It looked like it too. An ugly thing, to be sure. Guess it got the job done though!
doctordoowop

« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2017, 04:53:46 PM »

Ron Stewart yes--Sawchuck was alky I heard.  Wat police call"mutual  combat"

Goalie very stressful--recall an  article about Glennn Hall-vomited before  every game.As  did  Russell  for Celts.
JoeC

« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2017, 06:37:32 PM »

Oh man, without a mask??? Surprising they all played so long!

More from that NY Rangers program from the 1955 season. Get these MSG seat prices:

Side Loge/Arena  $4.50
End Loge  $3.50
Side Promenade  $3,50
End Promenade  $3.00
End Arena  $2.25
Mezzanine  $1.75-$2.25
End Balcony  $1.25
Side Balcony (Unreserved)   $.70

Wonder what the top game ticket price at the new MSG is today? Well over $500 I'd think, maybe approaching $1000.

P.S. The "balcony" in the old MSG was HIGH!

Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #47 on: February 12, 2017, 07:37:08 PM »

I always wondered if the NHL was culture blind about French speaking players. 1954-55 NY Rangers only had 2 players with French surnames-Camille Henry & Bep Guidolin. I suspect the Canadiens were polar opposite.
Was this just a matter of the team's geography or, did it go deeper?[/quote]
Back before Expansion, the 6 NHL teams sponsored Junior Hockey teams all over Canada.  Even as a Midget player, my rights were owned by The Winnipeg Rangers (who were sponsored by The New York Rangers).  Had I continued with The Winnipeg Rangers in 1963-64, instead of moving to USA, I'd have been property of The Rangers when Expansion started.  In May, 1967, the sponsoring of Junior teams came to an end, with the establishment of The Junior Draft, and limitation number of professional contracts per NHL franchises.  Before 1967, the ownership of professional farm teams and sponsored Junior A teams depended upon franchise cash flow and assets, and cost of operation (with distance from franchise headquarters a factor).  The Montreal Canadiens had the largest network of minor league professional farm teams Quebec Aces AHL, Cleveland Barons AHL, a team in The CHL, WHL, EHL, IHL. The also had The Montreal Canadiens Jrs. in The QMHL, as well as sponsored scores of other teams in Quebec. Toronto sponsored the next most numerous total of Junior teams covering much of Ontario, and also having a team in each of the western Canadian Junior Leagues (BCJHL, Alberta JHL, Saskatchewan JHL, Manitoba JHL, and the highest level western junior league, The WJHL. Detroit had the next largest group of feeder teams ( with many more teams in Ontario and Western Canada than "the weak sisters", New York, Boston and Chicago).  The Rangers (Boston and Chicago) usually had one sponsored team in each of the main AAA leagues (OHA, WJHL and QMJHL), as well as one in each of the Canadian Provincial Leagues.  That is why, to this day, there are teams that still keep their affiliate names.  Kitchener (Ontario) Rangers still keep the name, and even the uniform, which had the same design as the NHL team's.  Some of those OHA, WCJHL and QJHL franchises, now in the newly-named OHL, WHL and QMJHL, changed to a new team name when they lost their NHL sponsorship.  Canadiens always had mostly French players.  Toronto and Detroit always had several on their rosters.  Boston, New York and Chicago always had only a couple, as they had a lot less access to Quebecois players.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 12:27:07 AM by Robb_K » Logged

Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #48 on: February 12, 2017, 07:50:19 PM »

The NHL was NOT "culture blind".  Anglos took a lot of crap in Quebec, and Frenchies took a lot in Ontario and The Western Provinces, and Jews and Blacks took a lot everywhere.  But, after you proved yourself as a good, valuable player, and tough enough to stay in The League, your teammates would do anything for you.  But, old friends became bitter enemies while on the ice once traded to other teams.  There was a lot less prejudice against Jews and Blacks in Canada than in USA, but, it was still there.  As I stated earlier, The Ukrainians absolutely hated us Jews.  Surprisingly, The Jews were tolerated more in Catholic Quebec than in Protestant Ontario.  The largest Jewish immigration went to Montreal, and the large community speaks French, and has remained there.  We also had a very big one in Winnipeg.  But many of them have moved to L.A., Phoenix, other parts of Arizona, Las Vegas and even as far as Florida (although Florida is filled mainly with Eastern Canadians.  The Rangers had their share of French Canadians, as did Boston, because both franchises are not so far from Quebec, and so it was easier to get a lot of scouts there than to Western Canada.

JoeC

« Reply #49 on: February 12, 2017, 08:40:18 PM »

Thanks Robb.

Rod Gilbert, one of the greatest Rangers, was from Montreal. Ratelle was from a town in Quebec. I don't count Messier because (1) think of him as an Oiler first, and (2) despite the surname, don't think he is French Canadian as normally defined.

Seems to me (could be wrong) the Rangers use to have a lot of players who passed through Guelph in the juniors.
doctordoowop

« Reply #50 on: February 12, 2017, 09:01:35 PM »

Joe--boxing.  Bobby  "Irish "Cassidy  from Levittown.  Was   ranked at  best about  6-8  in world welter-middle wt.

Fought  on under  card  at 1st  Ali Frazier  in March  1971.   Think  he married sister of  an old girlfriend of mine.
JoeC

« Reply #51 on: February 12, 2017, 09:25:38 PM »

Joe--boxing.  Bobby  "Irish "Cassidy  from Levittown.  Was   ranked at  best about  6-8  in world welter-middle wt.

Fought  on under  card  at 1st  Ali Frazier  in March  1971.   Think  he married sister of  an old girlfriend of mine.

I remember him vaguely. Didn't know his background.

Think maybe he used to fight at the old Sunnyside Garden on Queens Blvd. Channel 5 carried a Friday nite fight card from there as well as from St. Nicholas Arena at Columbus and 66th St. in Manhattan. Chris Schenkel called a lot of those fights.
doctordoowop

« Reply #52 on: February 12, 2017, 10:38:25 PM »

rite--at onetime  fites  on every nite,.Sat-Boston very from la bec of timediff
JoeC

« Reply #53 on: February 12, 2017, 10:42:19 PM »

More from 1955:

Hotel rooms at the Hotel Belvedere (stones throw from the old MSG) at 49th and 8th Ave: $4 a night for a single, $6 for a double. Stay all week for $28-$32.

First Team 1954 NHL All-Stars

G - Harry Lumley, Leafs
D-  Red Kelly, Red Wings
D- Doug Harvey, Canadiens
C - Ken Mosdell, Canadiens
RW - Gordie Howe, Red Wings
LW - Ted Lindsay, Red Wings

Second Team
G- Terry Sawchuik, Red Wings
D - Bill Gadsby, Black Hawks
D - Tim Horton, Leafs
C- Ted Kennedy, Leafs
RW - Rocket Richard, Canadiens
LW - Ed Sandford, Bruins

Don't personally remember Mosdell, Kennedy or Sandford. The rest, yes, even though only 12.

Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #54 on: February 13, 2017, 12:45:48 AM »

Thanks Robb.

Rod Gilbert, one of the greatest Rangers, was from Montreal. Ratelle was from a town in Quebec. I don't count Messier because (1) think of him as an Oiler first, and (2) despite the surname, don't think he is French Canadian as normally defined.

Seems to me (could be wrong) the Rangers use to have a lot of players who passed through Guelph in the juniors.
You forgot Phil (Phillipe) Goyette.  Messier is a French Canadien, just not a Francophone.  The Rangers had a team in The Quebec Junior Hockey League, which funneled them some players.  Emile Francis was another French Canadien.  They had Edgar Laprade, Guy Gendron, Albert LeBrun, Albert Langlois, Leon Rochefort, Dave Balon(French Canadian family origin), Valere (Val) Fonteyne, Gilles Villemure, Florent Pilote, Bernie (Boom-Boom) Geoffrion (few years at end of career), Andre Dupont, Mike Robitaille, andre St. Pierre, Michel Parizeau, Pierre Jarry, Pierre Brind'Amour, and a lot more.

Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #55 on: February 13, 2017, 12:52:57 AM »

Don't personally remember Mosdell, Kennedy or Sandford. The rest, yes, even though only 12.
Kenny Mosdell and Teeder Kennedy were all-Time greats, and in The Hall of Fame.  Sandford was just a very good player who had a great year then.

bklynmike101

« Reply #56 on: February 13, 2017, 01:07:46 AM »

Many great names listed that I have not heard or thought about in many moons. I do have a Dave Balon stick, from his days with Montreal.

The old Garden had an old fashioned fire escape that was used by nosebleed seat fans (that would be me) to exit after games. Today, there's no way that such a rickety and dangerous construction would be permitted for fan use.

I sure don't remember 1954 prices but for $3.00 around 1966-67, you could get a standing room only ticket behind the goal that wasn't terribly nigh up - great place to watch the game when we could find that much cash (vs. $1.50 as I recall for the cheapest seats in the house).
doctordoowop

« Reply #57 on: February 13, 2017, 02:06:26 AM »

The  Nedicks  in lobby was where  the late Tim Horton fot his idea for  cheap  eateries--stll  aronu  not in Cal--

Trivia (no cheating pls) --1st NHL  player --on SI  cover--hint--  1958.
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #58 on: February 13, 2017, 02:27:40 AM »

The  Nedicks  in lobby was where  the late Tim Horton for his idea for  cheap  eateries--still  around  not in Cal--

Trivia (no cheating pls) --1st NHL  player --on SI  cover--hint--  1958.

I didn't read Sports Illustrated, only The Hockey News.  My father had a subscription to it when I was young, and I had my own from 1956-72, when I moved to The Netherlands, plus bought single issues through 1985 while in Canada and USA each year, when visiting.

JoeC

« Reply #59 on: February 13, 2017, 08:39:35 AM »

Many great names listed that I have not heard or thought about in many moons. I do have a Dave Balon stick, from his days with Montreal.

The old Garden had an old fashioned fire escape that was used by nosebleed seat fans (that would be me) to exit after games. Today, there's no way that such a rickety and dangerous construction would be permitted for fan use.

I sure don't remember 1954 prices but for $3.00 around 1966-67, you could get a standing room only ticket behind the goal that wasn't terribly nigh up - great place to watch the game when we could find that much cash (vs. $1.50 as I recall for the cheapest seats in the house).

Doesn't look like the prices had gone up all that much in 13 years. Which makes sense because wages had no gone up hardly at all, and no economic inflation at that point.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: