DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2018, 07:25:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
ATTENTION:
NO COMMERCIAL SITES OR LINKS TO COMMERCIAL SITES ALLOWED ON THIS FORUM. IF YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO SELL,
ie, CLOTHES, RECORDS, FURNTURE, ETC. DON'T DO IT HERE. THE URL WILL BE DELETED...  Mike Paladino
77471 Posts in 7022 Topics by 192 Members
Latest Member: doowopbob
* Home Help Login Register
+  DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
|-+  OT - OFF TOPIC TOPICS :-)
| |-+  Off Topic Stuff
| | |-+  Hockey Thread (especially from our youth)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 18 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hockey Thread (especially from our youth)  (Read 38776 times)
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #360 on: December 26, 2017, 09:38:57 PM »

Robb, you must be excited by the current Winnipeg Jets roster. IMO, they are the NHLs Team of the Future. They are damn good right now. The young LW Nik Ehlers (from Denmark) to me is the most exciting young talent in the game today (he reminds me of Patrick Kane). Talk about speed, this young guy has it in spades. Just needs to get a little bigger and stronger. He's  21.
Then, there's Mark Scheifele, the 24 yr old Center; Patrick Laine, 19 yr old RW; and Kyle Connor, 21 yr old LW.  All excellent players now, and have All-Star potential. Add in veterans like Blake Wheeler, Bryan Little, Matthew Perrault, Dustin Byfuglien (injured last I looked) and they are formidable. I don't know enough about the goalie and defense situation to comment much other than Byfuglien when healthy has a helluva slap shot and Myers can score.
They need to solidify their defence. and get a better goaltender.  But, yes, they will be one of the better NHL teams for many years.  I'm in Winnipeg now, visiting my sister.  It is -16F right now.  I'm watching The World Junior Hockey Tournament.  USA is playing my Denmark team.  I''m very familiar with Hockey Denmark, as I live in Denmark part year, and my best friend there lives near Herning, which is where The Dansk National team trains.  I have a friend there who is friendly with the coach.  So, over the past 15 years or so, I've gotten to meet a lot of the players, such as Lars Eller (his father is the current coach). I met Nik Ehlers and many of the players on recent national teams. I also work some in Malm?, Sweden. So, I watch games in both The SEL )Swedish Elite League= and Alsvenskan )their #2 league, where moat of the best Swedish and Danish players play before going to The NHL. I always watch all The Jets' games when staying in Winnipeg Dec/Jan each year.  I also attend a couple in person.  I, myself, played in the old Winnipeg Arena as a junior back near the beginning of the 1960s, back before we wore helmets.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 10:24:38 PM by Robb_K » Logged

doctordoowop

« Reply #361 on: December 26, 2017, 09:59:35 PM »

Joe--being  very poor,  Grin Grin Grin never heard of  Chadwick. But nothing in h.s.sports
JoeC

« Reply #362 on: December 27, 2017, 09:19:04 AM »

Joe--being  very poor,  Grin Grin Grin never heard of  Chadwick. But nothing in h.s.sports

"Chadwick's main rivals are Polytechnic School in Pasadena, California and Flintridge Preparatory School in La Cañada, California. Chadwick participates in 23 Varsity CIF sports. They include boys' football, tennis, volleyball, waterpolo, basketball, soccer, baseball, etc."

That's from Wiki. I'm sure they "participate" at the lowest level of CIF competition. Lindsey Davenport, the girls' tennis player, apparently went there and is their most famous athlete.
doctordoowop

« Reply #363 on: December 27, 2017, 02:28:02 PM »

Joe--correct--not  compete with st John Bosco, Serra  or mater dei.  etc
JoeC

« Reply #364 on: December 27, 2017, 04:39:23 PM »

Joe--correct--not  compete with st John Bosco, Serra  or mater dei.  etc

Or even a Harvard-Westlake in Studio City.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 04:41:02 PM by JoeC » Logged
doctordoowop

« Reply #365 on: December 27, 2017, 06:46:34 PM »

RIP  all. JC  Caroline,  Jim Rivera, Steve Snapper Jones, and for u Robb  Noel Picard.  (in my collector  mag.)

And Johnny Bower.
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #366 on: December 27, 2017, 10:10:30 PM »

RIP  all. JC  Caroline,  Jim Rivera, Steve Snapper Jones, and for u Robb  Noel Picard.  (in my collector  mag.)And Johnny Bower.
Johnny Bower must have been over 90.  He was already old when he got to The NHL.  He was buried in the minors for 10 years on The Cleveland Barons when The Canadiens had Jaques Plante in his heyday.  I'm a big fan of Noel Picard as well.  I met him at Chicago Stadium in a Hawks/Habs pre-game, but used to talk to him a lot at Blues/Hawks games, as I did with all The Blues' players, because Ab McDonald, who played for them for 6 years, was a neighbour and his parents were family friends of ours back in Winnipeg during the late '40s and '50s.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 11:48:15 PM by Robb_K » Logged

doctordoowop

« Reply #367 on: December 27, 2017, 11:14:21 PM »

Bower  was around  93.  I knew  that Robb  would  know  Picard.  isn't he in the background  of that  great photo  of Bobby Orr  diving after a score?
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #368 on: December 27, 2017, 11:42:11 PM »

Bower  was around  93.  I knew  that Robb  would  know  Picard. Isn't he in the background  of that  great photo  of Bobby Orr  diving after a score?
Yes.  He and Jimmy Roberts were the defencemen.  Roberts wasn't in the photo.  Glenn Hall was the goalie.  One Blues' forward was in the photo, - centre Red Berenson.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 11:46:57 PM by Robb_K » Logged

JoeC

« Reply #369 on: December 28, 2017, 10:13:24 AM »

Speaking of Red Berenson (he of the 6 goals in one game). Best three NHLers nicknamed "Red" -- Red Kelly, Red Berenson and Red Sullivan???

Trivia: Whose nickname was "Sweet Lou from the Soo?"
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #370 on: December 28, 2017, 11:24:39 AM »

Speaking of Red Berenson (he of the 6 goals in one game). Best three NHLers nicknamed "Red" -- Red Kelly, Red Berenson and Red Sullivan???

Trivia: Whose nickname was "Sweet Lou from the Soo?"

Lou Nanne of The Minnesota North Stars.

JoeC

« Reply #371 on: December 28, 2017, 11:36:12 AM »

Yep (on Nanne).

Can you name the one other player (since 1950) who also scored 6 in one game?

Interesting on Berenson that none of his six goals were on the power play. Also, that Philly kept Doug Favell in the net the whole game (think he gave up 8 goals in all).
doctordoowop

« Reply #372 on: December 28, 2017, 01:30:23 PM »

How guys grow--would Elmer "Moose"  Vasko  be called  moose now?   Think he was  maybe 6:2--220 or so Cheesy Cheesy
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #373 on: December 28, 2017, 01:50:31 PM »

How guys grow--would Elmer "Moose"  Vasko  be called  moose now?   Think he was  maybe 6:2--220 or so Cheesy Cheesy

He was huge back then.  Now he'd be an average sized defenceman.  Back then, there were 5 ft. 7 165 lb forwards, even 5' 5".

Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #374 on: December 28, 2017, 01:55:09 PM »

Yep (on Nanne).

Interesting on Berenson that none of his six goals were on the power play. Also, that Philly kept Doug Favell in the net the whole game (think he gave up 8 goals in all).

I think Darryl Sittler did.  But I spent little time in North America between 1971 and 1978, and didn't have Internet streams to watch games.  So, I'm fairly weak on The 1970s.

JoeC

« Reply #375 on: December 28, 2017, 06:17:50 PM »

Yep (on Nanne).

I think Darryl Sittler did.  But I spent little time in North America between 1971 and 1978, and didn't have Internet streams to watch games.  So, I'm fairly weak on The 1970s.

Yeah, Sittler got six in 1976. He had 10 points in that game against the Bruins. All the six goals and the four assists were against a rookie goalie. Toronto scored 11. 

My favorite Leaf from the mid 70s was Sittler's buddy, Lanny McDonald, with that big, bushy mustache. Real hard wrist shot if I recall.

Liked Dave Keon too. That little guy played pro hockey forever. I remember two of my Ranger faves, Andy Hebenton and Camille Henry, won the Lady Byng Trophy back to back in the late 50s, and Keon won it twice in a row when he was first breaking in. Henry and Keon (both times) only took 2 penalty minutes in each of the seasons they won the trophy.

Robb, can you shed some light on how the majority of the players in the NHL viewed Lady Byng winners back in our day? I know it's an award based on being a "gentleman" and being skilled but ... did it also reflect negatively on a player's willingness to "mix it up?" In other words, maybe a trophy you didn't want to win?
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #376 on: December 28, 2017, 11:43:44 PM »

Liked Dave Keon too. That little guy played pro hockey forever. I remember two of my Ranger faves, Andy Hebenton and Camille Henry, won the Lady Byng Trophy back to back in the late 50s, and Keon won it twice in a row when he was first breaking in. Henry and Keon (both times) only took 2 penalty minutes in each of the seasons they won the trophy.  Robb, can you shed some light on how the majority of the players in the NHL viewed Lady Byng winners back in our day? I know it's an award based on being a "gentleman" and being skilled but ... did it also reflect negatively on a player's willingness to "mix it up?" In other words, maybe a trophy you didn't want to win?

Fresh from watching USA Juniors lose in a big upset to Slovakia.  That means that it absolutely desperation time for USA vs, Canada tomorrow on the outdoor rink in The NFL Bills' stadium.  Should be a good game. 
Yes, winning The Lady Byng Trophy had sort of a slight stigma to it, especially if the winner shied away from contact, and going to the tough areas.  No one expected a little guy like Camille Henry to get into a lot of fights.  It was the goons' job to protect the little skilled forwards.  But, a lot of the little skilled players went to the tough areas and played a very scrappy game.  Stan Mikita was a great example of that.  Of course he also used his stick on players and started fights.  But, there were a lot of players who played a physical game and fought hard for position in front of the net, and fought hard on the boards for puck possession, but just took very few penalties, and they scored a lot.  So, they won The Lady Byng.  I don't think those players were looked down upon or made fun of, because they played a tough game, and helped their team, and even stood up for their teammates.  They just didn't take many 5 minute penalties (most of which came from fighting).

JoeC

« Reply #377 on: December 29, 2017, 09:16:12 AM »

Yeah, Mikita won back to back Lady Byng's so you're right, you could be scrappy and still win it.

The only players to win the trophy with MORE than 30 penalty minutes were Bobby Hull, Jari Kurri, and Wayne Gretzky. With their skill level, I'm sure there was a lot of provocation for them to occasionally get caught retaliating to.
doctordoowop

« Reply #378 on: December 29, 2017, 12:48:11 PM »

Robb -I see the Golden Knights  are the Vegas G N (not  LAS  Vegas).   

This may be the 1st time in a major sport  that  the  home  city  name is shortened.  Why?  Only Bettman knows.   I  dont like some teams being named  after the state, instead  of city either.
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #379 on: December 29, 2017, 03:12:20 PM »

Yeah, Mikita won back to back Lady Byng's so you're right, you could be scrappy and still win it.
The only players to win the trophy with MORE than 30 penalty minutes were Bobby Hull, Jari Kurri, and Wayne Gretzky. With their skill level, I'm sure there was a lot of provocation for them to occasionally get caught retaliating to.
I
In the 1940s and '50s, pro hockey was a brutal game.  The refs called less penalties and there was no league policy to protect players from severe injuries.  There were a LOT more official fights and "roughing" (essentially fights not given fighting penalties.  Players had to stand up for themselves and their teammates, unless they were extremely small, and their combatant was much bigger and stronger.  Highly skilled players were battered constantly.  Most of them got oin some fights to show that they couldn't be intimidated.  Just like at school, you had to prove yourself, or the bullies would eat you alive.  So, very few players had less than 35-40 PIM.

JoeC

« Reply #380 on: December 29, 2017, 03:35:51 PM »

As rough as the 50s game was, when I think of "enforcers", the only players that come to mind are the Red Wings and Canadiens top lines (those guys were rough as well as great), then guys like Lou Fontinato, Al Arbour, Eddie Shack, Moose Vasko, Fern Flaman, Jack Evans, Forbes  Kennedy, Leo Boivin, Carl Brewer, and Tom Johnson. Who am I missing?

Oh, forgot Doug Mohns.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 03:42:27 PM by JoeC » Logged
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #381 on: December 29, 2017, 04:11:56 PM »

As rough as the 50s game was, when I think of "enforcers", the only players that come to mind are the Red Wings and Canadiens top lines (those guys were rough as well as great), then guys like Lou Fontinato, Al Arbour, Eddie Shack, Moose Vasko, Fern Flaman, Jack Evans, Forbes  Kennedy, Leo Boivin, Carl Brewer, and Tom Johnson. Who am I missing? Oh, forgot Doug Mohns.
There were about one per team - usually a big defencman.  No way would I call Doug Mohns an "enforcer".  Forbes Kennedy was certainly on the ice ONLY because he was tough and could fight.  Reg Fleming, also. 

I have no time to think about this now.  I'm in Winnipeg, among family, busy watching The Canada/US game in The World Juniors Tournament, which is just about as big to us as The Stanley Cup, as we generally have connections to one or 2 of the Canadian kids playing.  I, myself, usually know most of the kids on The Danish team, as my best friend in Denmark, with whom I stay for a few weeks each year, lives in Herning, where the national team trains, and is friendly with some of the coaches and workers there.

JoeC

« Reply #382 on: December 29, 2017, 08:41:38 PM »

Robb, enjoy the Tournament! Guess my memory of Mohns was skewed by time. I do recall he was one of the first to wear a helmet!
doctordoowop

« Reply #383 on: December 29, 2017, 10:20:56 PM »

Arbour-with glasses?
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #384 on: December 29, 2017, 11:43:31 PM »

Robb, enjoy the Tournament! Guess my memory of Mohns was skewed by time. I do recall he was one of the first to wear a helmet

Dougie was tough for a little guy and skilled player.  But he was no "enforcer".  Yes, he was one of the first to wear a helmet (because of a head injury).  Camille and Phil Goyette, also,  Jean-Guy Talbot also, later wore a helmet, which was ironic, because a hit from him to Scotty Bowman's head, in Junior play, ended Scotty's career as a player.  He played for The Montreal Junior Canadiens (so you know he was good).  Further irony was that Talbot played his last few years with Scotty's Blues.  But they were good friends.  That's something about hockey that wouldn't occur in the other major North American team sports. 

JoeC

« Reply #385 on: December 30, 2017, 09:23:54 AM »

For that era, 6', 185 wasn't little. Unless those ht/wt numbers were bogus. Did they do that in hockey, like they did/do in other sports? Didn't Mohns also start out on the Blue Line, then was moved to winger because he had good speed.

Different subject: In 1961, Montreal's population was around 1,200,000; Toronto's was 670,000. Montreal was 44% larger.

In 2016, things had flipped. Toronto has 2,700,000 and Montreal a million less people at 1,700,000. Since 1960, Montreal has grown by 40% or so; Toronto by an astronomical 290%. What happened? Did Toronto "annex" suburbs? Other factors?
doctordoowop

« Reply #386 on: December 30, 2017, 02:52:31 PM »

Know  Ryan  Van Den  Busch--enforcer--only could  fite. Ended  at least one  promising career.
bklynmike101

« Reply #387 on: December 30, 2017, 03:07:20 PM »

"Chadwick's main rivals are Polytechnic School in Pasadena, California and Flintridge Preparatory School in La Cañada, California. Chadwick participates in 23 Varsity CIF sports. They include boys' football, tennis, volleyball, waterpolo, basketball, soccer, baseball, etc."

That's from Wiki. I'm sure they "participate" at the lowest level of CIF competition. Lindsey Davenport, the girls' tennis player, apparently went there and is their most famous athlete.

Most of the small private schools compete against others in the same category. Close to Chadwick geographically are Country Day and Rolling Hills Prep (RHP). The RHP baseball team is coached by the same guy that coached my kids' "club" team. 
bklynmike101

« Reply #388 on: December 30, 2017, 03:08:42 PM »

RIP  all. JC  Caroline,  Jim Rivera, Steve Snapper Jones, and for u Robb  Noel Picard.  (in my collector  mag.)

And Johnny Bower.

Me thinks you and I subscribe to the same sports memorabilia magazine. 
bklynmike101

« Reply #389 on: December 30, 2017, 03:10:56 PM »

Robb, enjoy the Tournament! Guess my memory of Mohns was skewed by time. I do recall he was one of the first to wear a helmet!

Another early helmet wearer was fan un-favorite Larry Jeffrey. We mercilessly booed him every time he stepped on the ice - with some not terribly kind chants. It didn't help that he could not put the puck in the net.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 18 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: