DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 25, 2018, 10:35:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
ATTENTION:
NO COMMERCIAL SITES OR LINKS TO COMMERCIAL SITES ALLOWED ON THIS FORUM. IF YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO SELL,
ie, CLOTHES, RECORDS, FURNTURE, ETC. DON'T DO IT HERE. THE URL WILL BE DELETED...  Mike Paladino
78656 Posts in 7075 Topics by 95 Members
Latest Member: doctordoowop
* Home Help Login Register
+  DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
|-+  OT - OFF TOPIC TOPICS :-)
| |-+  Off Topic Stuff
| | |-+  Hockey Thread (especially from our youth)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hockey Thread (especially from our youth)  (Read 62816 times)
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #540 on: May 14, 2018, 06:37:04 PM »

Backstrom is 1 of the league's elite playmakers. No one has more patience with the puck. Youngest Swede to ever play for National Team(18). Eller is from Denmark. Not near the playmaker Backstrom is-but more physical. Not too many Danes to really leave a strong mark on the NHL. Frans Nielsen. Who else?

There is good reason for Sweden producing a lot more NHL players than Denmark. Sweden has a large area of its country north of 60 degrees north. It also has a continental climate, with winds coming from The Arctic, Finland and Russia for much of the year. Denmark, & Norway, by contrast, enjoy warmer winds from The Atlantic Ocean Gulf Stream. Denmark is mostly further south than most of Sweden, made up of islands and peninsulas surrounded by seawater, much warmer than land in winter. So, like most of Canada, Sweden has frozen ponds for 4-7 months per year, on which kids can play for free, and hone their skills. So, Sweden has had a tradition of Bandy and Hockey playing for over 300 years, while they are not traditional games in Denmark, because it has very few lakes which freeze over for more than 2 months.  Therefore, there of few great coaches there, and few ice rinks (no outdoor rinks). Denmark's ice hockey programme is only about 40 years old, and has few excellent coaches. Traditionally, Danish players need to play during their mid and late teen years in Sweden(Swedish Elite Late and Alsvenskan), to play on a high enough level to prepare for The NHL. I know all these except Popiel, as I live part time in Herning, where The Danish National team trains, and am friendly with some workers in their training complex. My 2nd best friend in Denmark went to school with a few of their fathers. Ehlers has been plagued by nagging small injuries throughout the playoffs. The following Danish players have made The NHL:
                               Born  P    Games   G     A     Pts  
1   Frans Nielsen   1984   F   764   152   271   423      
2   Mikkel Boedker   1989   F   618   109   179   288      
3   Jannik Hansen   1986   F   626   109   147   256      
4   Lars Eller      1989 F   604   103   116   219      
5   Nikolaj Ehlers   1996   F   236   69   93   162      
6   Peter Regin   1986   F   243   23   44   67      
7   Oliver Bjorkstrand 1995F   120   21   40   61   
8   Poul Popiel             1943D   225   13   41   54      
9   Philip Larsen    1984D   151   9   28   37      
10   Frederik Andersen1989G   257   0   7   7      
11   Nicklas Jensen   1993   F   31   3   3   6      
12   Oliver Lauridsen   1989   D   16   2   1   3   

« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 06:45:27 PM by Robb_K » Logged

doctordoowop

« Reply #541 on: May 14, 2018, 11:04:27 PM »

Robb-no disrespect-but was all that  of he top  of your head.  Amazing..
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #542 on: May 14, 2018, 11:50:12 PM »

Robb-no disrespect-but was all that  of he top  of your head.  Amazing..
Everything but the statistics (Which, I, of course, looked up), and I forgot Peter Regin (but, of course, knew of him, and remember him).  Goalie, Fredrik Andersen, Lars Eller, Mikkel Boedker, Hansen, Ehlers, Bjoerkstrand, Jensen, Larsen, Hansen, Lauridsen are all good, young players, trained in Sweden.  But, of course, Sweden has many, many times more skaters, and so, many, many more chances to produce NHL stars.  Eller's father is Denmark's national team's coach.  I pay a lot of attention to The Swedish Elite League and The Alsvenskan, as well as International Hockey tournaments and national teams. 

JoeC

« Reply #543 on: May 16, 2018, 08:12:15 PM »

Anyone catch the "Intro" to the VGK-Winnipeg game tonight? Lights darkened, some guy with a sword representing the Jets skates out, then the Vegas Golden Knight mascot. They proceed to fight with the Knight vanquishing the poor Jet. Then, a huge light show in the rafters!! Don't know if a hockey games or Vegas floor show is about to break out.
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #544 on: May 17, 2018, 01:19:53 AM »

Anyone catch the "Intro" to the VGK-Winnipeg game tonight? Lights darkened, some guy with a sword representing the Jets skates out, then the Vegas Golden Knight mascot. They proceed to fight with the Knight vanquishing the poor Jet. Then, a huge light show in the rafters!! Don't know if a hockey games or Vegas floor show is about to break out.

I didn't see that, but I saw the unfortunate Winnipeg loss.

JoeC

« Reply #545 on: May 17, 2018, 09:04:07 AM »

Yeah, thought the Jets were gonna come back in the 3rd period. They had the best of it the last half of the game but ...

How does a player like Marchessault go completely undrafted? I mean, he had a very good career in the QMJHL with the Remparts. I know he's small but he actually won the award for the best defensive player in the QMJHL one year. I mean, there's over 200 players selected and he wasn't worth even a 7th round pick!
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #546 on: May 17, 2018, 02:32:18 PM »

Yeah, thought the Jets were gonna come back in the 3rd period. They had the best of it the last half of the game but ...

How does a player like Marchessault go completely undrafted? I mean, he had a very good career in the QMJHL with the Remparts. I know he's small but he actually won the award for the best defensive player in the QMJHL one year. I mean, there's over 200 players selected and he wasn't worth even a 7th round pick!

Yes.  He should have been drafted in the 3rd or 4th Round.  He is small, but has good skill. 

JoeC

« Reply #547 on: May 17, 2018, 05:10:43 PM »

Yes.  He should have been drafted in the 3rd or 4th Round.  He is small, but has good skill. 

All GMs make mistakes, in all sports. Over time, though, how many undersized but quick, skilled players from Quebec have panned out?

Just a few other undrafted players looking back over time (I obviously looked this up): Goalies - Eddie Belfour, Glenn Healy, CuJo, Chico Resch   Skaters - Martin St-Louis, Dino Ciccarelli, Geoff Courtnall, Tim Kerr, Joe Mullen, Adam Oates

doctordoowop

« Reply #548 on: May 17, 2018, 05:23:25 PM »

Postgame show--Milbury  called Vegas  Las  Vegas--it may be the  only  team  that  has  an abbreviated official  location.  Ie,  Vegas NOT Las Vegas.

I didn't   look it up. Grin Grin Grin Grin
JoeC

« Reply #549 on: May 21, 2018, 11:01:01 AM »

I'm so happy for those long-suffering Vegas fans!
doctordoowop

« Reply #550 on: May 21, 2018, 02:05:55 PM »

Robb's worst nitemare--Vegas v Tampa?
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #551 on: May 21, 2018, 06:57:17 PM »

Robb's worst nitemare--Vegas v Tampa?

It could be worse. Cairo vs. Calcutta!   Cry

JoeC

« Reply #552 on: May 21, 2018, 07:23:00 PM »

Prior to the expansion draft, the Caps had to choose from Lars Eller, Tom Wilson, or Nate Schmidt to expose to the draft. Killed me to lose the former Minnesota Golden Gopher Schmidt but I understood protecting the other two given that the Caps have more depth coming up on defense. The way Schmidt has played for Vegas, though, I'm really having second thoughts.

I couldn't stand George McPhee when he was the Caps GM for many years but gotta give him his due with Vegas. He's another of those former Guelph players who made it to the league with the NY Rangers.

Caps-Lightning - GAME 7 Weds nite in Tampa. Whichever team goes to Cup finals, just have a feeling it's Vegas's year.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 08:27:39 AM by JoeC » Logged
doctordoowop

« Reply #553 on: May 22, 2018, 11:24:32 PM »

Read in LA  Times  the  silly  comment --Vegas  is   1st  expansion  team to  go  to Stanley  Cup in 1st year since the Blues in 1967. Technically true,but  the history was omitted.
bklynmike101

« Reply #554 on: May 23, 2018, 11:21:26 AM »

DDW,

I caught that too. I'm always both amused and peeved when I see a silly, misleading "fact" (usually sports) in a normally reliable publication. I saw a piece somewhere - perhaps in that same LAT article and perhaps not - stating Knights appearance in finals was first by an NHL expansion team since both the '66-67 Blues and '17-18 Toronto St. Pats. (aka Arena's). Really?  Captain Obvious would know that there has to be a first finalist in a league's (or division's) 1st year of operations - no?

Clearly, Knights are the '"first" (with any significance).

I'm not a Knights fan per se, nor a Las Vegas person, but what the team has done, new draft rules and all, is still remarkable. 
doctordoowop

« Reply #555 on: May 23, 2018, 11:18:06 PM »

mike--biggest  reason  for Vegas success is   the  "hard"  salary cap --no?
JoeC

« Reply #556 on: May 24, 2018, 08:09:31 AM »

In opening odds, Vegas GK given 65 percent chance over Capitals to win Stanley Cup. Same odds TB Lightning were given to win Game 7 last night.
JoeC

« Reply #557 on: May 24, 2018, 12:24:49 PM »

Robb, last week Caps fans and local media calling for Barry Trotz to be fired. Of course, now he is the toast of Washington, DC. Story told in today's paper about his growing up in Dauphin, Manitoba. Are you familiar with the place? Trotz played his Junior hockey for the Dauphin Kings.

Apparently, he never played a minute in the NHL. Played a couple seasons in the WHL for the Regina Pats.

Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #558 on: May 24, 2018, 07:43:20 PM »

Robb, last week Caps fans and local media calling for Barry Trotz to be fired. Of course, now he is the toast of Washington, DC. Story told in today's paper about his growing up in Dauphin, Manitoba. Are you familiar with the place? Trotz played his Junior hockey for the Dauphin Kings.

Apparently, he never played a minute in the NHL. Played a couple seasons in the WHL for the Regina Pats.

Of course, I'm familiar with Dauphin.  Its a town northwest of Winnipeg, which was almost half Ukrainian.  Several very good hockey players came from there.

JoeC

« Reply #559 on: May 24, 2018, 08:41:46 PM »

Of course, I'm familiar with Dauphin.  Its a town northwest of Winnipeg, which was almost half Ukrainian.  Several very good hockey players came from there.

Apparently, some curlers too. Figured you'd be familiar with Dauphin (although I knew Manitoba covers a lot of land with some remote places up north). Would you say most of the province's population lives within 100 miles or so of Winnipeg?
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #560 on: May 24, 2018, 09:58:08 PM »

Apparently, some curlers too. Figured you'd be familiar with Dauphin (although I knew Manitoba covers a lot of land with some remote places up north). Would you say most of the province's population lives within 100 miles or so of Winnipeg?

Yes.  The North has only a few small towns.

JoeC

« Reply #561 on: May 25, 2018, 08:15:41 AM »

Looked at a map. Manitoba sure has a lot of lakes! Big ones too!

Saw a "ranking" of NHL players from Manitoba. Ranking was offensively-oriented but Top 3 players were :

1, Bobby Clarke
2. Andy Bathgate
3. Butch Goring

I'd forgotten that Bobby Clarke was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes as a very young teenager.
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #562 on: May 30, 2018, 06:23:30 PM »

Saw a "ranking" of NHL players from Manitoba. Ranking was offensively-oriented but Top 3 players were :

1, Bobby Clarke
2. Andy Bathgate
3. Butch Goring

I'd forgotten that Bobby Clarke was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes as a very young teenager.

That's why he wasn't picked among the top 5 in the junior draft, but went in the later 2nd Round, instead.

JoeC

« Reply #563 on: May 30, 2018, 07:36:59 PM »

1, Bobby Clarke
2. Andy Bathgate
3. Butch Goring

That's why he wasn't picked among the top 5 in the junior draft, but went in the later 2nd Round, instead.

What a bargain that pick turned out to be!
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #564 on: May 30, 2018, 11:51:43 PM »

1, Bobby Clarke
2. Andy Bathgate
3. Butch Goring

Andy Bathgate and Terry Sawchuck were our heroes in Winnipeg when I was a kid.  We also had Pete Stemkowski, Andy Hebenton and Ab McDonald.  I watched Butch Goring's whole career.  My parents knew The Gorings, as well as The McDonalds.  Jonathan Toews is Winnipeg's current starring son.

JoeC

« Reply #565 on: June 02, 2018, 08:45:53 AM »

Saw Rod Langway, former Caps HoF Defenseman interviewed on TV recently. Two things jumped out at me:

- Playing the first 4 years of his career in Montreal, he wore the light-weight JOFA helmet of the late 70s/early 80s. The helmet shattered when he was sent into the glass one night in the Forum, leaving him with a cut that required 30 stitches and that almost cost him his eye. (It was the helmet, not the glass that cut him up.) Tried to play with a helmet when he returned a few games later  but the helmet kept shifting on his head and re-opening his stitches, so he took it off and never wore a helmet again.

- He was the fourth D with the Canadiens (behind Robinson, LaPointe and Savard) but had a good career going in Montreal. Still, the taxes were apparently decimating his salary, to the point where, after four years, he had zero in the bank (and he did not "live large"). So, he asked for a raise AND to be paid in U.S. dollars. The latter demand did not go down well and he was traded to the Caps, where he and the team flourished.

Robb, was this Canadian tax "problem" an issue only for American players like Langway? Does it still exist today? Do US players on Canadian teams have to pay both US and Canadian taxes?  What role have tax and exchange rate issues played with the Canadian teams? Lastly, is the reverse situation a "problem" -- i.e., Canadians playing for teams in the USA, e.g., Wayne Gretzky's move to LA -- how much did that have to do with taxes and the currency he was paid with? 
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #566 on: June 02, 2018, 02:17:11 PM »

Were Canadian taxes an issue for US players? Still today? Do US players on Can. teams have to pay both US and Can. taxes? How do tax & exchange rate issues affect Canadian teams? Is Canadians playing for US teams a problem? How did tax and exchange influence Wayne Gretzky's move to LA?
Most important determinant as to which country the taxes are paid is country of residence.  If a Canadian works in USA under The TN Agreement, he is determined to remain a resident of Canada, IF he continues to maintain a permanent domicile (house or rented place of residence). If so, he pays all his taxes to Canada. Wayne Gretzky was paying Can. taxes while playing for Kings, Blues, Rangers. If a US citizen plays in Canada, but keeps a US residence that year, he's determined a US resident.  He's required to pay full US taxes as a US resident. However, earning all active pay in Canada, has a higher tax rate. So, he must pay the difference of amount he WOULD owe from his Canadian earnings, over the amount he paid on those earnings to The US. So, Blake Wheeler, American, playing for Jets, keeping a residence in USA, would pay his taxes to USA, plus the overage above what he paid US on that income, to The Canada. Had he not kept residence in US, he'd pay the same amount (less his tax owed on interest in US Banks) to Canada. So, most US & Canadians crossing the border to play, pay the Canadian (higher) rate, going in EITHER direction. That is not much of a deterrent, as Canadian teams, in order to compete for players, pay higher Dollar salaries, to make up for the higher Canadian tax rates.  In addition, when The Canadian Dollar is weaker than The US dollar, Canadian teams payer that % higher, and when it is stronger, The US teams pay that % higher.  So, the difference is not a highly significant factor to the players.  BUT, The Canadian higher taxes ARE a disadvantage for Canadian teams, paying higher salaries.  You must file taxes for BOTH countries, taking a deduction for the amount of taxes paid to the foreign country where you worked. I don't keep a residence in Canada, so I just pay taxes to The Netherlands (higher rate than Canada). When I worked part-time in USA (Motown, Airwave, Navajo Nation) I paid taxes only to The Netherlands(higher rate than USA). Despite working also in Denmark, I only paid Dutch taxes despite Danish taxes being higher, because I resided less than 6 months in Danmark.

JoeC

« Reply #567 on: June 02, 2018, 03:41:01 PM »

Robb, Thanks for clarifying and making it easy to understand.

Saw a lot of Caps games back in the early 80s. Featured the best "one way" player I ever saw -- Dennis Maruk, who scored 50 goals one season, followed the next year with 60. Maruk was a character. Smallish Center iceman from Toronto. He centered the Caps top line which featured Mike Gartner and Bobby Carpenter on the Wings. Good trivia question (the 60 goals).

Langway, as I recall him, was not a fast skater, and was not an "enforcer" type defenseman at all (took very few penalties). Also, didn't score many goals. What he had going for him was he was always fundamentally sound/never out of position, had good leadership qualities, and was a dominating physical presence at 6'3, 215 lbs.

The trade that "saved" the Caps franchise from going under had Langway, Brian Engblom, Doug Jarvis and Craig Laughlin coming to the Caps from Montreal, and Ryan Walter and Rick Green going to the Habs. Engblom was a Winnipeg guy, wasn't he, who was a solid blue line player, paired with Langway. Jarvis was great taking face-offs and a good checker.

Engblom was soon traded for Larry Murphy. Despite being in the NHL HoF, what I recall most about Murphy was that he was boo'ed a lot on his home ice, both in Washington and Toronto. Can't recall why he was scapegoated like that at times in his career. I'd guess he was seen somehow as an underachiever.
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #568 on: June 02, 2018, 05:10:17 PM »

Read in LA Times silly comment: "Vegas 1st  expansion team to go to Stanley Cup Final 1st year, since The Blues in 1967. Technically true,but history was omitted.
Although it's true that Vegas had to win its division on an equal footing with established teams, and St. Louis had an easier path to the finals by only having to play other expansion teams, the difference in achievement of the two teams is not nearly as wide a gap as it might look to today's uninformed onlooker. The Blues were much better than all the other expansion teams, and behaved much more like "The Original 6" than like the other expansion teams. They had superior goaltending from GlennHall(still in his prime-at least their first 2 years). They had an excellent defence, better than at least 3 of "The Original 6", with Doug Harvey, Al Arbour, Barclay and Bob Plager, Noel Picard, and Jean-Guy Talbot. They had better offence than all the other expansion teams, with legitimate stars in Dickie Moore and Red Berenson, and decent support in goal-scorer, Gary Sabourin, set-up man, Frank St. Marseille, and support from Don McKenney, Gerry Melnyk and Jimmy Roberts. They dominated Detroit and Toronto, and were able to play respectably vs. The other 4 Original teams. They looked respectable against The Habs in The Finals, despite losing all 4 games (technically being "swept".  But they played very well in all 4 games, and were in them all till the end, losing all by only 1 goal, and taking 2 of the 4 to OT.  The Blues' bruising defence and Hall's phenomenal goaltending stifled The Habs' superior offence. The Blues got even better, adding Jacques Plante, Phil Goyette and Ab McDonald in Year 2.  They got NO help from the junior draft in Year1. Vegas got 3 1st Rounders, plus were able to get Fleury and several good skaters in The Expansion draft, because only 1 goalie, 3 defensemen and 4 forwards could be protected. 1967 Expansion left few players of ANY value exposed.

JoeC

« Reply #569 on: June 04, 2018, 04:54:02 PM »

Anyone watching Game 4 of the SCF tonite? Only personnel change I've seen for Game 4 is Gallant putting ex-Red Wings Capitals Killer,Tomas Tatar, on his 3rd line and sitting David Perron.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: