DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 22, 2017, 02:15:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
ATTENTION:
NO COMMERCIAL SITES OR LINKS TO COMMERCIAL SITES ALLOWED ON THIS FORUM. IF YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO SELL,
ie, CLOTHES, RECORDS, FURNTURE, ETC. DON'T DO IT HERE. THE URL WILL BE DELETED...  Mike Paladino
75137 Posts in 6941 Topics by 192 Members
Latest Member: doowopbob
* Home Help Login Register
+  DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
|-+  OT - OFF TOPIC TOPICS :-)
| |-+  Off Topic Stuff
| | |-+  Hockey Thread (especially from our youth)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hockey Thread (especially from our youth)  (Read 13349 times)
JoeC

« Reply #300 on: July 27, 2017, 07:58:12 AM »

Robb, when you say "to come out of Quebec," is that like saying in the States "to come out of Mississippi?"

Apparently, made a Knight in Quebec, a "Companion of the Order of Canada" (highest civilian honor), and his likeness is on a Canadian postage stamp.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 08:03:19 AM by JoeC » Logged
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #301 on: July 27, 2017, 12:21:16 PM »

Robb, when you say "to come out of Quebec," is that like saying in the States "to come out of Mississippi?"

Apparently, made a Knight in Quebec, a "Companion of the Order of Canada" (highest civilian honor), and his likeness is on a Canadian postage stamp.

Yes, more or less.  To be a product of (e.g. was raised there).  Except that having been a "Ghetto child" from my teens through 20s, "coming out of Mississippi" would have quite a different meaning.   Grin

Yes, Big Jean, (Le Gros Bill) was quite an honoured man.  And rightly so.  Les Canadiens bought an entire league (Quebec Senior Hockey League) so they could own his rights (they needed to own The Quebec Aces - who immediately became The Habs' main AHL farm team.  B?liveau had refused to sign with Montr?al and leave The Aces.  Once they owned his rights, he had to play for The Habs.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 12:29:48 PM by Robb_K » Logged

JoeC

« Reply #302 on: July 27, 2017, 04:46:15 PM »

Robb, my comparison was based on quality of education. Mississippi is always in the bottom three in rankings of the 50 States. So, Quebec is similar? For what reason, the language issue, cultural reasons, resources ??
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #303 on: July 27, 2017, 05:36:50 PM »

Robb, my comparison was based on quality of education. Mississippi is always in the bottom three in rankings of the 50 States. So, Quebec is similar? For what reason, the language issue, cultural reasons, resources ??
No - Quebec is similar to Mississippi only in that provinces in Canada are analogous to states in USA.

JoeC

« Reply #304 on: August 02, 2017, 04:03:16 PM »

Robb, Another "little guy" who was a favorite of mine on the Rangers of the mid 1950s was Winnipeg native Wally Hergesheimer.  About 5'8 and 155 lbs or so, he started playing pro hockey at age 16 and scored 20 or more goals a number of seasons in the NHL in the 50s. Played RW. Think he also played for Chicago.
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #305 on: August 02, 2017, 04:36:34 PM »

Robb, Another "little guy" who was a favorite of mine on the Rangers of the mid 1950s was Winnipeg native Wally Hergesheimer.  About 5'8 and 155 lbs or so, he started playing pro hockey at age 16 and scored 20 or more goals a number of seasons in the NHL in the 50s. Played RW. Think he also played for Chicago.
Funny you should bring him up.  Not only was he from my home town, but we both played on the same Jr. A team, The Winnipeg Rangers.  He was 20 years ahead of me.  My contract rights were owned by The New York Rangers.  If I had wanted to stay in Winnipeg, with my aunt and uncle, and continue playing hockey and pursuing a hockey career, when my parents moved to Chicago, I'd have ended up in The New York Rangers' farm system (actually, The Winnipeg Rangers Junior team was for all intents and purposes, part of The rangers farm system).  I watched Wally play his whole NHL career.  He was one of the best small players.  He's in The Manitoba Hockey Hall of Fame, and The Manitoba Sports Hall of Fame.  He wasn't afraid to duke it out with the big boys.  He fought and scrapped to hold position in front of the net, and was an expert at deflecting the puck past the goalie.

JoeC

« Reply #306 on: August 02, 2017, 05:03:03 PM »

Funny you should bring him up.  Not only was he from my home town, but we both played on the same Jr. A team, The Winnipeg Rangers.  He was 20 years ahead of me.  My contract rights were owned by The New York Rangers.  If I had wanted to stay in Winnipeg, with my aunt and uncle, and continue playing hockey and pursuing a hockey career, when my parents moved to Chicago, I'd have ended up in The New York Rangers' farm system (actually, The Winnipeg Rangers Junior team was for all intents and purposes, part of The rangers farm system).  I watched Wally play his whole NHL career.  He was one of the best small players.  He's in The Manitoba Hockey Hall of Fame, and The Manitoba Sports Hall of Fame.  He wasn't afraid to duke it out with the big boys.  He fought and scrapped to hold position in front of the net, and was an expert at deflecting the puck past the goalie.

One of my favorite NY Rangers of the 1954-64 era. In the mid 50s, as a young teen, I was an altar boy -- a Catholic Church thing. Every year altar boys in NY diocese churches west of the Hudson had an "outing." The road trip kind. Usually, to places like Palisades Park or Asbury Park.

In 1955, our parish priest got sick and we lost out because he couldn't drive us to wherever the summer event was. Anyway, when he recovered, he got 5 or 6 of us tickets to a Rangers game, 1955-56 season. We sat in the nosebleed seats at the "old" Garden but he arranged for Wally to have a picture taken with our little group. Wish I still had it. He seemed, off-ice, like a genuinely nice guy.

Andy Hebenton was another Winnipeg guy on that team. Think it was his first year in the league.
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #307 on: August 02, 2017, 05:16:04 PM »

Andy Hebenton was another Winnipeg guy on that team. Think it was his first year in the league.

Yeah, I remember Andy well.  He playedn9 years in The NHL and never missed a game.  They called him "The Iron Man".  That was a LOT harder to do in hockey than baseball or basketball.

Another Andy from Winnipeg was the greatest Winnipegger of them all - Andy Bathgate.  And he played almost his entire career with The Rangers.  You should surely remember him.

JoeC

« Reply #308 on: August 02, 2017, 07:03:19 PM »

Top line in those days for the NYR was, I think, Andy Bathgate and Dean Prentice, centered by Larry Popein. Prentice was from Ontario and The Pope was a Saskatchewan guy. Top three on the blue line were Howell, Leapin Lou Fontinato and Bill Gadsby (Alberta). Worsley in the net.

Sure looks like the Rangers had Manitoba locked down in those days. Don Raleigh, an elder citizen by the 50s, was also a Winnipeg guy on that team.

doctordoowop

« Reply #309 on: August 02, 2017, 07:56:01 PM »

Bathgate  was smooth

Who  was  responsible  for that well  known photo  of Louie--with  face  all wrapped  in bandage  for  his  broken nose? 

Gordie?
JoeC

« Reply #310 on: August 02, 2017, 08:44:28 PM »

Bathgate  was smooth

Who  was  responsible  for that well  known photo  of Louie--with  face  all wrapped  in bandage  for  his  broken nose? 

Gordie?

Yeah, Gordie broke his nose and dislocated his jaw. Lou was one of the very first "enforcers." Seemed like he took a penalty every shift he had. Later traded to Montreal. While playing the NYR, he missed a check, crashed into the boards head first and was paralyzed for a month or so. That pretty much finished him. The MSG fans loved him although I think he was a net negative.

Here's a grainy video of the missed check on Vic Hadfield which temporarily (for months) paralyzed him in '63.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qczNJVH1UDA

Played in Guelph with Bathgate, Howell and Prentice.

Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #311 on: August 03, 2017, 08:34:34 AM »

Top line in those days for the NYR was, I think, Andy Bathgate and Dean Prentice, centered by Larry Popein. Prentice was from Ontario and The Pope was a Saskatchewan guy. Top three on the blue line were Howell, Leapin Lou Fontinato and Bill Gadsby (Alberta). Worsley in the net.
Sure looks like the Rangers had Manitoba locked down in those days. Don Raleigh, an elder citizen by the 50s, was also a Winnipeg guy on that team.
[/b]
Yes, I remember "Bones" - he was a skinny guy.

Yes, The Rangers had a big presence in Manitoba, especially because The Winnipeg Rangers were one of their couple of Junior A teams.  As I stated above, had I chosen to continue towards a pro hockey career, I'd have had to sign with The Rangers. There was no free agency then.  If I wanted to play in The NHL, and I was good enough, I'd have had to play for New York.

JoeC

« Reply #312 on: August 03, 2017, 10:57:10 AM »

Robb, You make it sound like it would've been a chore to suit up in the red, white and blue. Just think how it would've scratched two itches -- playing hockey and being in a vocal group collectors mecca.

Pretty much ALL the Rangers lived in Long Beach, Long Island back then. Nice location one of the "Five Towns," not far from JFK -- even if a bit of a ride to midtown Manhattan. Wonder if players from other teams did that too -- lived pretty much in the same area of town, or if that was unique to the Rangers?
doctordoowop

« Reply #313 on: August 03, 2017, 01:47:36 PM »

Joe--didn't  they  live in Long Beach?  That was where  Sawchuk  was killed in fight.

Although  playing in NY, it was never mentioned then that  Howell was  Jewish.

We all  knew about Koufax, Cal  Abrams  and Jake Pitler.
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #314 on: August 03, 2017, 03:01:03 PM »

Robb, You make it sound like it would've been a chore to suit up in the red, white and blue. Just think how it would've scratched two itches -- playing hockey and being in a vocal group collectors mecca.
Pretty much ALL the Rangers lived in Long Beach, Long Island back then. Nice location one of the "Five Towns," not far from JFK -- even if a bit of a ride to midtown Manhattan. Wonder if players from other teams did that too -- lived pretty much in the same area of town, or if that was unique to the Rangers?

That was pretty common for hockey players on a team to live near to each other in a few chosen neighbourhoods.

doctordoowop

« Reply #315 on: August 03, 2017, 03:22:06 PM »

Sorry Joe--u got Long Beach  rite,  but  it is farther east than 5  towns.   Hewlett, Woodmere, Lawrence,  Inwood  not sure of 5th.
JoeC

« Reply #316 on: August 03, 2017, 04:54:48 PM »

Sorry Joe--u got Long Beach  rite,  but  it is farther east than 5  towns.   Hewlett, Woodmere, Lawrence,  Inwood  not sure of 5th.
Thought Long Beach was the 5th but, you're right, Cedarhurst.
JoeC

« Reply #317 on: November 07, 2017, 02:11:55 PM »

Saw the back page of a NY Daily News from 1963. I had forgotten that the Rangers were almost universally referred to in newspapers back then as the "Blues." I'm sure it came from ther blue home sweaters. Wonder if St. Louis had to compensate the Rangers when they joined the league in 1967 for taking the Rangers' nickname?

Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #318 on: November 07, 2017, 05:38:19 PM »

Saw the back page of a NY Daily News from 1963. I had forgotten that the Rangers were almost universally referred to in newspapers back then as the "Blues." I'm sure it came from ther blue home sweaters. Wonder if St. Louis had to compensate the Rangers when they joined the league in 1967 for taking the Rangers' nickname?
The Rangers were known more often as "The Broadway Blueshirts".  They were named after The Texas Rangers, because their first owner was from Texas.  No, The St. Louis Blues didn't have to compensate The Rangers.

doctordoowop

« Reply #319 on: November 07, 2017, 06:03:20 PM »

JOE-I recall Broadway Blues.   That ended in 1967.
JoeC

« Reply #320 on: November 07, 2017, 08:40:18 PM »

The Rangers were known more often as "The Broadway Blueshirts".  They were named after The Texas Rangers, because their first owner was from Texas.  No, The St. Louis Blues didn't have to compensate The Rangers.

Yeah, Just joking about the compensation. I think "Blues" was the preferred abbreviation for newspaper headlines as "Broadway Blueshirts" was too long.  interesting that they gave them the "Broadway" moniker because they played on 8th Avenue at the old MSG, not on Broadway. Guess Broadway was near enough.

Boy, the Original Six all had GREAT uniforms. As we've discussed, the Black Hawks sweater is an all-time great but ... fact is, the Habs, Wings, Rangers and Bruins were all great too. Maple Leafs, IMO, a cut below.
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #321 on: November 08, 2017, 12:03:31 AM »

Yeah, Just joking about the compensation. I think "Blues" was the preferred abbreviation for newspaper headlines as "Broadway Blueshirts" was too long.  interesting that they gave them the "Broadway" moniker because they played on 8th Avenue at the old MSG, not on Broadway. Guess Broadway was near enough.

Boy, the Original Six all had GREAT uniforms. As we've discussed, the Black Hawks sweater is an all-time great but ... fact is, the Habs, Wings, Rangers and Bruins were all great too. Maple Leafs, IMO, a cut below.

And, of the "new" six teams, and all the expansion teams afterwards, The St. Louis Blue Note is, by far, the best.

bklynmike101

« Reply #322 on: November 08, 2017, 12:44:37 PM »

Broadway Blues is the moniker I recall. Seated in the rafters of the old Garden, at game's end they'd have the crowd exit via a series of fire escapes all the way down - always found that a little scary. I still have exactly one seat slat broken off by my repeated jumping (wearing sneakers of course) subsequent to the very last hockey game played at the old Garden (2-11-68 I believe). 
doctordoowop

« Reply #323 on: November 08, 2017, 05:04:52 PM »

The most  attention I get  from my  jersey collection is Blackhawks.   Cant believe so many fans, and everyone loves the logo. IMO--the best.

The cap I see by far the most around the world is Yankees.

Joe--Namath  played a bit far from  Bdway  too Grin Grin Grin Grin.

Remember  Joe & Mickey  had an employment agency?   Lasted couple  yrs.  Called  Joe's Girls & Mickey's guys.  Bizarre I know.
JoeC

« Reply #324 on: November 08, 2017, 05:54:12 PM »

Has the Blackhawks sweater been called out for being racist --- as have the Washington Redskins, Chief Nok-A-Homa with the Braves, and Chief Wahoo with the Cleveland Indians?
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #325 on: November 08, 2017, 09:09:15 PM »

Has the Blackhawks sweater been called out for being racist --- as have the Washington Redskins, Chief Nok-A-Homa with the Braves, and Chief Wahoo with the Cleveland Indians?
The Blackhawks were named for Illinois' Blackhawk Division of The US Army.  If I remember correctly, the team's logo was patterned after The US Army Blackhawk Division's official insignia, which, I believe, was taken from a painting or photograph of one of the last chieftans of Illinois' Blackhawk tribe.  Therefore, it is an homage to a real tribe, and so, not putting it in a bad light, nor disrespecting those Native American people.  Therefore, no one should be complaining.  The Cleveland Indians and Washington Redskins are a different situation, as they are not from India, and they don't have "red" skin (saying they have red skin could be construed as demeaning and derogatory).

doctordoowop

« Reply #326 on: November 08, 2017, 09:13:29 PM »

No  Joe.   In   1926--there was only one  chief  Blackhawk--he  welcomed  the logo. The Blackhawks  were not  a tribe.  I defer to Robb.

Nothing like  Redskins ,  Chiefs or  braves.  

I think  Joe Louis  loved his  "brown  bomber "  nickname.
doctordoowop

« Reply #327 on: November 08, 2017, 09:17:57 PM »

Robb-are  Chiefs, Braves  and  Warriors  OK?

being part Irish --I like  ND  Fighting Irish.  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin And  I  ignore  the  very  racist  "paddy  wagon."  So what  --Irish drink.  That's  news?
JoeC

« Reply #328 on: November 08, 2017, 09:41:51 PM »

No  Joe.   In   1926--there was only one  chief  Blackhawk--he  welcomed  the logo. The Blackhawks  were not  a tribe.  I defer to Robb.

Dan Snyder (Redskins owner) has a poll of Native Americans showing 90% are NOT offended. Chief Wahoo, the Indians logo, is the one really under heavy attack. A caricature of a NA with a big buck-toothed smile. I doubt that logo survives. Here it is, with a little history (love how the narrator pronounces Bill Veeck's name as Bill Veek):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vs5xRROZRhA
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 09:43:39 PM by JoeC » Logged
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #329 on: November 08, 2017, 09:44:51 PM »

Thanks for telling us about Chief Black Hawk.  The team was first called Chicago Black Hawks.  It was changed to one word, "Blackhawks" in modern times (late 1960s? 1970s?).  So, as the name venerates Chief Black Hawk for leading his people, the Sac (Sauk) and Fox Tribe) it can't be derogatory.  Black Hawk led his people in a war to keep their land in what is now Illinois,                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    WE can best ask Native Americans which team names are offensive and which are not.  There are Native American groups on both sides of the fence about The Cleveland and Stanford and Springfield Indians, Washington Redskins and Braves, Warriors and Chiefs.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 10:38:24 PM by Robb_K » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: