DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 22, 2018, 09:02:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
ATTENTION:
NO COMMERCIAL SITES OR LINKS TO COMMERCIAL SITES ALLOWED ON THIS FORUM. IF YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO SELL,
ie, CLOTHES, RECORDS, FURNTURE, ETC. DON'T DO IT HERE. THE URL WILL BE DELETED...  Mike Paladino
75880 Posts in 6968 Topics by 192 Members
Latest Member: doowopbob
* Home Help Login Register
+  DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
|-+  OT - OFF TOPIC TOPICS :-)
| |-+  Off Topic Stuff
| | |-+  Hockey Thread (especially from our youth)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hockey Thread (especially from our youth)  (Read 22595 times)
bklynmike101

« Reply #390 on: December 30, 2017, 03:12:42 PM »

Johnny Bower, one of my favorites, was reportedly 93 when he passed.
doctordoowop

« Reply #391 on: December 30, 2017, 08:56:31 PM »

Mike--prob so.  I  dont  usually  read obits,except in the Sports  mag Grin Grin Grin
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #392 on: December 30, 2017, 10:34:03 PM »

As rough as the 50s game was, when I think of "enforcers", the only players that come to mind are the Red Wings and Canadiens top lines (those guys were rough as well as great), then guys like Lou Fontinato, Al Arbour, Eddie Shack, Moose Vasko, Fern Flaman, Jack Evans, Forbes  Kennedy, Leo Boivin, Carl Brewer, and Tom Johnson. Who am I missing? Oh, forgot Doug Mohns.

Back during the 1950s there weren't that many "enforcers", because many of the regular skilled players were tough, and could fight their own fights (Gordie Howe, Rocket Richard, Ted Lindsay, Tim Horton, Tom Johnson, Black Jack Stewart, Butch Bouchard, etc.) - The only real "enforcers" back then who weren't tremendously valuable to their teams in other ways, were Lou Fontinato, Forbes Kennedy and Reggie Fleming.  The "Goon"enforcer, only good at fighting, didn't come in until the late '60s and ran all the way through about 2005.  Nowadays, when defencemen can no longer grab and hold players, or flatten them from behind without getting a penalty, there are only a couple "Goons" left.  Most teams can't afford to waste a roster position on someone who can't skate, score or defend.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 10:41:41 PM by Robb_K » Logged

doctordoowop

« Reply #393 on: December 31, 2017, 03:21:14 AM »

Tim  Horton--what happened -killed  in car accident?    Must have been bright. Turned a good, not great,  NHL  career  into millions  with his  restaurant chain.

Sort of like  Celtic (briefly)  Togo  Palazzi-  with his chain of  sandwich shops.
JoeC

« Reply #394 on: December 31, 2017, 09:39:29 AM »

I saw Leapin' Lou play dozens of games at the old MSG. He considered himself an enforcer (the 200+ PIM, when that was unheard of) but I think he took far more incoming than he gave out. Ended up paralyzed for a month. Here's a clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qczNJVH1UDA&t=1s

Robb, am I wrong in thinking there seemed to be an inordinate number of NHL players from Guelph, the city not necessarily the team? Lou's hometown.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 09:46:38 AM by JoeC » Logged
bklynmike101

« Reply #395 on: December 31, 2017, 02:58:03 PM »

Tim  Horton--what happened -killed  in car accident?    Must have been bright. Turned a good, not great,  NHL  career  into millions  with his  restaurant chain.

Sort of like  Celtic (briefly)  Togo  Palazzi-  with his chain of  sandwich shops.

Yes, Tim was killed while driving drunk. Hockey players back in the day were notorious for their alcohol consumption - e.g. Sawchuck-Stewart fight. The fast food chain may be worth much, but I don't think Tim saw too much of the bounty.  Wiki claims his widow ended up with a grand total of $1MM - no more. While not exactly chump change, not "millions" either.
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #396 on: December 31, 2017, 03:35:55 PM »

I saw Leapin' Lou play dozens of games at the old MSG. He considered himself an enforcer (the 200+ PIM, when that was unheard of) but I think he took far more incoming than he gave out. Ended up paralyzed for a month. Here's a clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qczNJVH1UDA&t=1s

Robb, am I wrong in thinking there seemed to be an inordinate number of NHL players from Guelph, the city not necessarily the team? Lou's hometown.
No.  Not wrong.  Guelph had a few public rinks plus one of the best Junior A teams, The Guelph Biltmores.  Many of the great NHL players and coaches came out of Guelph.

doctordoowop

« Reply #397 on: December 31, 2017, 03:49:37 PM »

Well  would  have been  millions   if  he  didn't drink.

bklynmike101

« Reply #398 on: January 01, 2018, 12:46:06 PM »

DDW,

This is true.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: