DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 20, 2018, 05:07:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
ATTENTION:
NO COMMERCIAL SITES OR LINKS TO COMMERCIAL SITES ALLOWED ON THIS FORUM. IF YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO SELL,
ie, CLOTHES, RECORDS, FURNTURE, ETC. DON'T DO IT HERE. THE URL WILL BE DELETED...  Mike Paladino
78347 Posts in 7066 Topics by 95 Members
Latest Member: doctordoowop
* Home Help Login Register
+  DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
|-+  OT - OFF TOPIC TOPICS :-)
| |-+  Off Topic Stuff
| | |-+  Hockey Thread (especially from our youth)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hockey Thread (especially from our youth)  (Read 56599 times)
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #510 on: April 09, 2018, 10:05:01 PM »

never watched--but was that Glickman?  I  left  out  Knicks  he announced.  Then of course  Giants footballin the Tittle  yrs.

I can understand why you never watched. 11am on a Sat morning with two high schools? Yep, that WAS Marty doing the broadcast though. I know hecwas a teammate of Jesse Owens at the 1936 Olympics in Berlin. Ran the 400 meters. Also was a football star at Syracuse. Son of Romanian Jewish immigrants. Star athlete at Madison HS in Brooklyn.

Other James Madison alums of note: Cal Abrams, Marvin Miller, Martin Landau, Carole King, Bernie Sanders, Chuck Schumer, Cousin Brucie Morrow, Frank Torre, and Sonny Werblin.
Frank Torre, but NOT Joe Torre?  Did The Torres move? 

Unlike older brother Frank, Joe Torre went to St. Francis Prep, a Catholic HS in Brooklyn. I suspect he went on athletic scholarship because I'm sure St. Francis cost more than the free public HS.

Makes sense.  But, I'd have guessed both were good enough athletes to get scholarships.

doctordoowop

« Reply #511 on: April 09, 2018, 10:15:03 PM »

Joe  my pop told me  that Brundage replaced Marty with a Christian  to appease Hitler.  Brundage was a anti semite--well known.

Loved  Jesse  & the Brown bomber  giving  the FU  to Adolph.
doctordoowop

« Reply #512 on: April 09, 2018, 10:22:48 PM »

Just cheated &  per Wikipedia--Rangers/ Knicks  were on  WNBC & then WNEw.  Briefly WHN-WMGM  earlier
JoeC

« Reply #513 on: April 10, 2018, 07:42:53 AM »

Joe  my pop told me  that Brundage replaced Marty with a Christian  to appease Hitler.  Brundage was a anti semite--well known.

Loved  Jesse  & the Brown bomber  giving  the FU  to Adolph.
Replaced Marty and another Jewish sprinter with two black guys (more acceptable to Hitler).
JoeC

« Reply #514 on: April 10, 2018, 07:50:10 AM »

never watched--but was that Glickman?  I  left  out  Knicks  he announced.  Then of course  Giants footballin the Tittle  yrs.

I can understand why you never watched. 11am on a Sat morning with two high schools? Yep, that WAS Marty doing the broadcast though. I know hecwas a teammate of Jesse Owens at the 1936 Olympics in Berlin. Ran the 400 meters. Also was a football star at Syracuse. Son of Romanian Jewish immigrants. Star athlete at Madison HS in Brooklyn.

Other James Madison alums of note: Cal Abrams, Marvin Miller, Martin Landau, Carole King, Bernie Sanders, Chuck Schumer, Cousin Brucie Morrow, Frank Torre, and Sonny Werblin.
Frank Torre, but NOT Joe Torre?  Did The Torres move? 

Unlike older brother Frank, Joe Torre went to St. Francis Prep, a Catholic HS in Brooklyn. I suspect he went on athletic scholarship because I'm sure St. Francis cost more than the free public HS.

Makes sense.  But, I'd have guessed both were good enough athletes to get scholarships.

I'm sure they were. In fact, wasn't Frank initially thought to be the better player of the two when signed out of HS? I think he was. Believe the parents got divorced somewhere in there between Frank and Joe's high school days. Maybe that had something to do with Joe going to the Catholic school. Father was abusive I believe; Frank and his mom took the brunt of that until Frank got big enough to stand up to the old man.
Gino

« Reply #515 on: April 10, 2018, 07:52:07 AM »

Another Madison alum - Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg.  Bernie Sanders was in my class - '59.  Knew Joe Torre back in the day - drove like a wild man.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 07:54:35 AM by Gino » Logged

"Grease for Peace!!"
Gino
JoeC

« Reply #516 on: April 10, 2018, 08:16:35 AM »

Who does everyone like to win this year's Stanley Cup? Odds makers favorites -- Hockey News:

Nashville Predators  7/2
Tampa Bay Lightning  6/1
Boston Bruins  25/4
Vegas Golden Knights  7/1
Pittsburgh Penguins  17/2
Winnipeg Jets  10/1
Toronto Maple Leafs  14/1
Washington Capitals  16/1
San Jose Sharks  22/1
Anaheim Ducks  25/1
Los Angeles Kings  25/1
Colorado Avalanche  28/1
Columbus Blue Jackets  28/1
Minnesota Wild  28/1
Philadelphia Flyers  33/1
New Jersey Devils  40/1
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #517 on: April 10, 2018, 07:58:53 PM »

Who does everyone like to win this year's Stanley Cup? Odds makers favorites -- Hockey News:

Nashville Predators  7/2
Tampa Bay Lightning  6/1
Boston Bruins  25/4
Vegas Golden Knights  7/1
Pittsburgh Penguins  17/2
Winnipeg Jets  10/1
Toronto Maple Leafs  14/1
Washington Capitals  16/1
San Jose Sharks  22/1
Anaheim Ducks  25/1
Los Angeles Kings  25/1
Colorado Avalanche  28/1
Columbus Blue Jackets  28/1
Minnesota Wild  28/1
Philadelphia Flyers  33/1
New Jersey Devils  40/1
I want my home town team, Winnipeg, to win.  But, I think Nashville is the team to beat.  I don't think Las Vegas will win even one series.  I am surprised they are rated so high.

JoeC

« Reply #518 on: April 10, 2018, 08:17:41 PM »

Rooting (probably in vain again) for my home town (since 1966) Washington Capitals.

Really like to watch Winnipeg young guys skate and score but fear goaltending needed to win Cup is just not there.

Think the smart money is on the Predators.

First Round Upsets: Kings over Vegas and Flyers over Penguins
doctordoowop

« Reply #519 on: April 10, 2018, 10:17:40 PM »

Vegas--opponents  will  get  party and get drunk  the nite  before   games there.
JoeC

« Reply #520 on: April 20, 2018, 11:51:34 AM »

How many goaltenders were good enough to have possibly played other positions at the NHL level? Only one I've heard mentioned was Ron Hextall who was thought by some scouts to be skilled enough to have made it as a defenseman.
jp05

« Reply #521 on: April 20, 2018, 08:01:38 PM »

Hockey's back! The hockey season really begins with the playoffs. The 82 game regular season is almost all dull, dump and chase games. The playoffs brings back full speed shifts, aggressive play and games that are exciting and fun to watch.

Robb, I usually check the hockey thread but rarely comment. Still my favorite sport, followed by NFL football then baseball. Don't lose heart!
JoeC

« Reply #522 on: April 20, 2018, 08:23:20 PM »

jp, agree! Can't beat playoff hockey!! Penguins really flying!

My adopted Washington Caps (known for their many playoff choke jobs) lose the first two at home to go down 0-2, then win two road games at Columbus to tie the series. 3 of the 4 games go OT.

Robb, you've lamented the diminishing role of Canada in the modern day NHL. Here's another sad piece of comparative "evidence' of that -- Of the Caps current 27 man roster, only 7 players were born in Canada and only one of those seven (backup G Braden Holtby) is a major contributor. Lotta Americans, Russians, Slavs and Scandinavians. The original Caps expansion team roster in 1974-75 saw 38 players skate for them -- 36 were from Canada. Just unbelievable how things have changed!

Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #523 on: April 21, 2018, 10:56:25 AM »

Robb, you've lamented the diminishing role of Canada in the modern day NHL. Here's another sad piece of comparative "evidence' of that -- Of the Caps current 27 man roster, only 7 players were born in Canada and only one of those seven (backup G Braden Holtby) is a major contributor. Lotta Americans, Russians, Slavs and Scandinavians. The original Caps expansion team roster in 1974-75 saw 38 players skate for them -- 36 were from Canada. Just unbelievable how things have changed!

Back when I was young, and playing, Canadians made up 99% of The NHL, and a handful of Americans made up the rest.  Now, only about 55% of NHL players are Canadians, and even the #1 choice in The Entry Draft has come from not only USA, but even from a southern desert city, where it has never snowed during the time Humans have been on Earth!  Still, The Caps are unusually low on Canadians.  Most teams are 50 to 60 % Canadian-born.  In addition to that, many of the best European and US NHL players played Major Junior Hockey in Canada, as preparation for The NHL.

JoeC

« Reply #524 on: April 21, 2018, 12:18:02 PM »

Robb, I miscounted on the Caps roster. There are 9 Canadians (still light at 33%). The rest break down as 5 Americans, 4 Scandinavians, 4 Russians, 3 Slavs, 1 German, 1 Australian. Still, more Canadians than any other national group.
bklynmike101

« Reply #525 on: April 21, 2018, 01:51:25 PM »

In the regular season, I still have trouble getting past the *&^%> shootout format now used to avoid ties or prolonged O/T. Thankfully, once the playoffs started, we're back to real hockey and the possibility of great exciting to the death "proper" overtime sessions. Love it.
doctordoowop

« Reply #526 on: May 07, 2018, 10:38:33 AM »

Robb--now that Tampa Bay has  a good  chance  to   play Vegas  in Stanley  Cup-- things could be  worse--Yadier Molina is out a  month because of  testicular  hematomas. Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin 
JoeC

« Reply #527 on: May 07, 2018, 11:37:59 AM »

Boy, a number of us continue to be wrong on Vegas. Especially me, picking the Kings (who were swept).

So, it looks like Winnipeg or Nashville vs VGK in the West and Caps or Penguins vs Lightning in the East.

Lightning look very impressive to me. McDonagh really tightened up their defense and they certainly can score goals. Vasilevskiy an underrated goalie.
JoeC

« Reply #528 on: May 08, 2018, 07:33:31 AM »

How 'bout those Caps! Finally broke through against their nemesis. Without Backstrom and Wilson. Still don't like their chances against Stamkos & Company.

Nice Game 7 coming up between Jets-Predators to round out last four teams standing.
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #529 on: May 10, 2018, 11:18:39 PM »

How 'bout those Caps! Finally broke through against their nemesis. Without Backstrom and Wilson. Still don't like their chances against Stamkos & Company.

Nice Game 7 coming up between Jets-Predators to round out last four teams standing.

And how about those Jets, beating The Preds!  There is some justice in The World.

bklynmike101

« Reply #530 on: May 11, 2018, 12:50:51 AM »

Congratulations Rob - At least one "real" hockey city (and from the right side of the border to boot  Wink) is still in it.  The Vegas story is incredible though.
doctordoowop

« Reply #531 on: May 11, 2018, 04:47:22 PM »

Is this Backstom related to  older Ralph Backstrom from Mtl?  Maybe father?
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #532 on: May 11, 2018, 07:07:07 PM »

Is this Backstom related to  older Ralph Backstrom from Mtl?  Maybe father?
Ralph was definitely neither Nicklas' father nor grandfather.  They are not likely to be closer than 5th cousins.  Ralph was born in Kirkland Lake, Ontario.  His grandfather had immigrated to Canada from Sweden during the mid 1800s.  Backstrom is an extremely common name in Swedish, meaning "stream/creek in the background, or behind, or behind or on the other side of the stream.  It is like Smith, Jones, Miller, Taylor in English.  People all over the country had that name, with no relation to others in other parts of the country.  They were the farmer's family who lived on the other side of the stream from a village.  Nicklas' family comes from Gavle, a few hundred kilometres north of Stockholm, while Ralph's comes from several hundred kilometres south and west of there.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 06:47:51 PM by Robb_K » Logged

Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #533 on: May 13, 2018, 03:54:56 AM »

The Jets beat The Golden Knights in game 1, 4-2.

doctordoowop

« Reply #534 on: May 13, 2018, 11:35:32 AM »

Thanx Robb--but I guess  Ranger Walt Tkachuk  (not sure of spelling)  is related to current player.  As  I post this--there is tremendous #  of   MLB &  NBA  sons playing now-- even   some 3  generations--Boones,  Hairstons etc.

Doesn't seem many  in NHL.  Right?
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #535 on: May 13, 2018, 01:31:26 PM »

Thanx Robb--but I guess  Ranger Walt Tkachuk  (not sure of spelling)  is related to current player.  As  I post this--there is tremendous #  of   MLB &  NBA  sons playing now-- even   some 3  generations--Boones,  Hairstons etc. Doesn't seem many  in NHL.  Right?
Not at all. There are many, many (hundreds) - probably much more than in MLB (at the very least much more on a % basis of all players who were Severin each league) - including fathers & sons, grandfathers, brothers, cousins, and grandfathers that have been and are in The NHL.  It would take me the rest of my life just to name them all.  Just the last 3 years' rookie crop has many. Keith Tkachuck's, Dave Lowrey's sons, Moe Mantha's grandson, to name just a few.  So many retirees become hockey coaches at various levels, and their kids naturally have an advantage in coming up in the sport.

JoeC

« Reply #536 on: May 13, 2018, 05:04:12 PM »

The Jets beat The Golden Knights in game 1, 4-2.

Watched that one. VERY impressive. Played stifling defense. Forced a lot of "east-west" passes by Vegas. Had them on their heels. Man, Hellebuyck is a big goaltender, tall and wide.
doctordoowop

« Reply #537 on: May 13, 2018, 08:12:43 PM »

Thanx  Robb. Is  east west goal to goal  or side to  side?
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #538 on: May 14, 2018, 12:54:10 AM »

Thanx  Robb. Is  east west goal to goal  or side to  side?

North-South is goal crease to goal crease.  East-West is sideways, parallel to the Red Line, Blue Lines, and goal lines.  The International game, which has a 100 ft. rink width, as opposed to The NHL's 85 ft. width, has more of an east-west offence puck-carrying and passing game, due to the wider playing area.  The NHL has more of a north-south game, - get the puck up ice quickly before the defence can set up.

JoeC

« Reply #539 on: May 14, 2018, 07:48:51 AM »

Anyone see my Caps decisively beat the Lightning last night, 6-2? So far, TB shows me nothing on defense. Caps can carry the puck end to end with total ease. Vasilevskiy looks weak in goal. Caps 7-1 on the road, only 3-3 at home though.

Lars Eller is playing so well that the Caps aren't missing Niklas Backstrom. Just kidding. Backstrom is truly one of the league's elite playmakers. No one has more patience with the puck. Youngest Swede to ever play for their National Team (age 18).

Robb, Eller is from Denmark. Not near the playmaker Backstrom is but ... more physical. What's the deal with the Jets' Dane, Ehlers? Why not playing? Not too many Danes to really leave a strong mark on the NHL. Frans Nielsen. Who else?

« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 12:54:47 PM by JoeC » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: