DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2018, 11:32:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
ATTENTION:
NO COMMERCIAL SITES OR LINKS TO COMMERCIAL SITES ALLOWED ON THIS FORUM. IF YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO SELL,
ie, CLOTHES, RECORDS, FURNTURE, ETC. DON'T DO IT HERE. THE URL WILL BE DELETED...  Mike Paladino
78878 Posts in 7083 Topics by 95 Members
Latest Member: doctordoowop
* Home Help Login Register
+  DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
|-+  OT - OFF TOPIC TOPICS :-)
| |-+  Off Topic Stuff
| | |-+  Hockey Thread (especially from our youth)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hockey Thread (especially from our youth)  (Read 66762 times)
JoeC

« Reply #630 on: September 17, 2018, 08:18:03 PM »

The answer to the question of which 3 NHL teams were added in the first multiple franchise expansion is:  New York Rangers, Chicago Black Hawks, and Detroit Falcons (later changed to Red Wings. The Boston Bruins were added in 1924, Pittsburgh Pirates in 1925, and The Hamilton Tigers were moved to New York, to become The New York Americans in 1925.  The Montreal Maroons and Ottawa Senators had been original NHL teams.  In 1934, Ottawa moved to St. Louis, to become The St. Louis Eagles.  Also n 1934,  The Pirates moved to Philadelphia, to become The Philadelphia Quakers.  Both teams folded after 1 year.  In 1938, The Montreal Maroons folded.  In 1941, The New York Americans moved to Brooklyn for their last year.  After 1941-42, there were only 6 teams left in The NHL.

Interesting. I'm still a bit surprised that Boston got the first U.S. franchise in the league. Over NY and Chicago, both much bigger cities.

Erik Karlsson to San Jose. Think that makes the Sharks a favorite to win the Cup? Haven't seen any Vegas odds.
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #631 on: September 17, 2018, 11:18:23 PM »

The answer to the question of which 3 NHL teams were added in the first multiple franchise expansion is:  New York Rangers, Chicago Black Hawks, and Detroit Falcons (later changed to Red Wings. The Boston Bruins were added in 1924, Pittsburgh Pirates in 1925, and The Hamilton Tigers were moved to New York, to become The New York Americans in 1925.  The Montreal Maroons and Ottawa Senators had been original NHL teams.  In 1934, Ottawa moved to St. Louis, to become The St. Louis Eagles.  Also n 1934,  The Pirates moved to Philadelphia, to become The Philadelphia Quakers.  Both teams folded after 1 year.  In 1938, The Montreal Maroons folded.  In 1941, The New York Americans moved to Brooklyn for their last year.  After 1941-42, there were only 6 teams left in The NHL.

Interesting. I'm still a bit surprised that Boston got the first U.S. franchise in the league. Over NY and Chicago, both much bigger cities.

Erik Karlsson to San Jose. Think that makes the Sharks a favorite to win the Cup? Haven't seen any Vegas odds.
Boston has always been a hockey town (as all New England, Michigan, and Minnesota have been hockey-mad).  Chicago and New York have never been hockey towns.  When I moved from Winnipeg to Chicago, I could not find a junior hockey programme even up to the level of the better casual recreational leagues in Canada.  I had to choose to move to USA with my parents, or stay in Winnipeg, and continue my hockey career prep, while living with my aunt and uncle (who, it turns out, followed us to Chicago a few years later).  It was a really tough decision at that time.  But, I'm Jewish, and expected an academic career rather than a hockey career, so, I came with my parents.
Getting Karlsson certainly hasn't hurt The Sharks,.....YET.  They should be one of the top 6 favourites.  But having all that money tied up in their defence might cause cap problems within a couple years that will leave their forward corps weaker by losing a top player, or having nothing much after their top few.

JoeC

« Reply #632 on: September 18, 2018, 08:58:57 AM »

Pretty clear that the Sharks are taking a "win it this year" approach. All or nothing! As you say, potential big money problems down the road and they already have traded off their #1 pick in the next draft. They went hard after Tavares but lost out. Who would you rather have had -- Karlsson or Tavares?

Thinking of Tavares and his being a native of the Toronto metro area, which of Canada's two biggest cities (Toronto and Montreal) has produced the most top NHL talent? Just your "feel." Toronto has a million more people so it's a bit of an unfair comparison.
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #633 on: September 18, 2018, 10:58:16 PM »

Pretty clear that the Sharks are taking a "win it this year" approach. All or nothing! As you say, potential big money problems down the road and they already have traded off their #1 pick in the next draft. They went hard after Tavares but lost out. Who would you rather have had -- Karlsson or Tavares?

Thinking of Tavares and his being a native of the Toronto metro area, which of Canada's two biggest cities (Toronto and Montreal) has produced the most top NHL talent? Just your "feel." Toronto has a million more people so it's a bit of an unfair comparison.
I think it depends upon how one defines City and Metro area, and general area.  I think that Montreal's "general area" produced more good hockey players from 1890-1950, and Toronto's general area has produced more from 1950n to today.  But, then Toronto didn't pass Montreal in population until about 1980.

bklynmike101

« Reply #634 on: September 21, 2018, 12:01:06 PM »

Mikita jersey from 1960 just hammered down at auction for $26K and change. Then and now, B. Hawks had truly gorgeous jerseys. I know Stan passed a few weeks back.....fierce and talented player....always destroyed my Rangers...but highly respected by Ranger fans
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #635 on: September 21, 2018, 01:45:44 PM »

Mikita jersey from 1960 just hammered down at auction for $26K and change. Then and now, B. Hawks had truly gorgeous jerseys. I know Stan passed a few weeks back.....fierce and talented player....always destroyed my Rangers...but highly respected by Ranger fans
I was a Blackhawks fan from 1951 to today, and Stan was my favourite player, along with Glenn Hall (even more than Bobby Hull).  Stan was a nice man, a great sportsman, gentleman, and credit to his community, and Chicago, in general.  He was always well-respected by everyone.  Yes, The Hawks have always had the best Jersey in sports.  Glad The Native American rights groups haven't forced a team name change.  The team was named after The Blackhawk Division in The US Armed forces from WWI.  I can't remember if it was The army, but I'd guess so.  There was no US Air Force at that time (1926).
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 09:55:06 PM by Robb_K » Logged

doctordoowop

« Reply #636 on: September 21, 2018, 02:56:56 PM »

I heard  Chief Blackhawk in 1926 gave his permission.  I agree-have white, red & black jerseys--always get a good response.
JoeC

« Reply #637 on: October 16, 2018, 07:31:43 PM »

Man, how the once-mighty Red Wings have fallen. No defense at all. Could be the worst team in the NHL this season.
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #638 on: October 16, 2018, 07:58:04 PM »

Man, how the once-mighty Red Wings have fallen. No defense at all. Could be the worst team in the NHL this season.

The rules have recently changed again, to make it really difficult to play defence.  Even teams with stacked rosters of defencemen, like St. Louis, Washington, and Nashville, are having trouble keeping the puck out of their own nets.

JoeC

« Reply #639 on: October 16, 2018, 08:27:50 PM »

Agree. Washington's gonna struggle. Tom Wilson, on a 20 game suspension, is the physical-play heart and soul of that team, they have no #2 net minder with Grubauer gone, and key face-off man and even-strength defender Jay Beagle is now with the Canucks. Just based on age, Kuznetsov has to prove he can be at least close to Ovechkn's impact, at least in scoring goals. Not to mention replacing Barry Trotz with a rookie coach.
doctordoowop

« Reply #640 on: October 16, 2018, 11:35:28 PM »

Robb-a small lectur  epls. How have rules  recently changed?
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: