DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 22, 2017, 02:10:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
ATTENTION:
NO COMMERCIAL SITES OR LINKS TO COMMERCIAL SITES ALLOWED ON THIS FORUM. IF YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO SELL,
ie, CLOTHES, RECORDS, FURNTURE, ETC. DON'T DO IT HERE. THE URL WILL BE DELETED...  Mike Paladino
75137 Posts in 6941 Topics by 192 Members
Latest Member: doowopbob
* Home Help Login Register
+  DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
|-+  OT - OFF TOPIC TOPICS :-)
| |-+  Off Topic Stuff
| | |-+  Member Introductions
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Member Introductions  (Read 2542 times)
JoeC

« on: February 06, 2017, 12:01:22 PM »

As discussed, for anyone who wants to "introduce" themselves further to other board members. I'd say I'll go first but Robb K has already used the two threads he started here (hockey and baseball) to provide a good bit of his background and interests in sports (Robb, pls feel free to add on here with other aspects if so so incliined, e.g., your music career (love to hear more).

As for me (will use bullet form for easier reading):

Early Life
- Born in Virginia in 1943; grew up an "Army Brat" in various parts of the USA and Europe until age 11
- From age 11-19, lived in northern (Rockland Co.) and eastern (Suffolk Co, LI) suburbs of NYC
- Graduated from the University of Miami in Coral Gables, FL in 1966

Family
- Married/ two grown kids/6 grandchildren

Career
- Recruited out of college to federal government job in DC area as Viet Nam War escalated
- Numerous overseas trips; lived abroad 3 years
- Retired in 2005 but worked another 9 yrs as a private contractor
- Consequently, have called DC area my home for 50 years now

On-Topic Musical Highlights
- Alan Freed's 1958 Christmas Jubilee at Loew's State Theater
- Irving Feld's Greatest Show of Stars for 1957 and 1958
- James Brown at the Howard Theater

Sports Interests
- Baseball, Hockey, Football and Basketball (more college than pro with the latter two these days)
- Reminiscing about 1950s and 1960s teams and players

Other Interests
- Being exposed to new music/music trivia (from 1930s through today)
- Travel
- Reading (biographies and non-fiction, especially music- and history-oriented books)
- Movies and quality TV

doctordoowop

« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2017, 11:51:49 PM »

My mouse  arm is tired.  Will  get to  it later.
Doowopdummy
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2017, 01:36:40 AM »

Born 1945 in Santa Monica, CA.
Lived in SOCAL until 1982 when former employer (R.T. French) promoted me and moved us to the Seattle area.
Graduated Excelsior High School, Norwalk, CA 1963 but attended La Puente High School first 3.5 years of HS
Active Duty Navy June 1963 to May 1971, two trips to Vietnam
Navy Reserve September 1973 to May 1987, retired but didn't get my benefits until I turned 60, worth the wait
AS Degree Sales Management - dropped out of school start of Junior year to accept transfer to Seattle.
Married 50 years this June, two grown children, 3 Granddaughters, the 7 yr old calls me Grandpa Doo Wop.
Entire civilian career, before and after active duty, in Grocery industry.  Started as a box boy worked my up to 3rd in charge before joining Navy.  After discharge worked for Certified Grocers of California then into consumer product sales.  In sales and sales management for 30 years, total of 38 years in the business
Became an internet DJ in 2008 purely by chance, no prior training or experience.  Our son was a communications major at Washington State University and worked in radio for a couple years - he taught me how to mix shows and work the control board software on my computer.
Favorite singer regardless of genre - Mr. Johnny Mathis
Favorite baseball player of all time - Eddie Mathews
Favorite football player of all time - Alan "The Horse" Ameche
Favorite basketball play of all time - Elgin Baylor
Pet peeve - people being unkind to each other for no apparent reason.  Sadly our country is sinking in this type of behavior.
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2017, 02:45:40 AM »

Winnipeg, Manitoba 1946-63, Chicago 1963-65, summers & Christmas vac. 1951-72, part summer in Den Haag, Netherlands, L.A. 1965-69 UCLA, Cal. State Hayward 1969-70, U. of British Columbia (Business School) 1970-71, UCLA MBA/Environmental Science Engineering Masters, 1972-86 Den Haag, & split time in Western USA & Canada as economic consultant to Native American & Canadian tribal governments(Council of Energy Resource Tribes, Navajo, Paiute, Shoshone, Klakiut, Umatilla, Blackfeet, Mandan, Hidatsa, Cheyenne, Sioux, Cree, Ojibway (1972-78). Worked as environmental planner/economist & water/sewer engineer on UN development projects in Mid East (Jordan, Syria,Turkey, Egypt, Morocco), Africa(Ethiopia, Sierra Leone, Sudan) & Far East(Malaysia, India) (1972-1989), but also lived part time in L.A. working with Motown on their 1960s unreleased LP projects (1975-1980), and Airwave Records (1980-85). 1986-96 Den Haag, few months in Copenhagen, Denmark & Munich (working for Dutch, Danish & German Disney Pub.),(art school-Den Haag Hoge School 1986-88). 1996-2000 Den Haag, Munich & L.A.(attending American Animation Institute(US Cartoonist Union School) & working for Turner & Warner Brothers Feature Animation). 2004-15 Oude Niedorp, Netherlands, Munich, & Denmark, work for Disney). 2016-17 Nijmegen, Netherlands, Munich and Denmark.
Music Career:
Record collector 1953-present
1975-80 Consultant to Motown Record Corp. on "From The Vaults Project" '60s unreleased LP series
1980-85 Airwave/Altair/Airwave International Records, partner, head of European marketing, worked with vocalist and pre-mixes on recording sessions, in-house accounting/publishing records
2002-2009 - Contributing Consultant to Detroit Soul History Webisodes on Soulful Detroit Website
2004-present - Consultant to Ace/Kent Records, Ltd. London, U.K. artist and label research, writing and editing CD booklets, providing label scans and original records for re-mastering
Interests:
Music: Collect most genres of Afro-American music '30s-'60s + 1970s Jazz (Blues, Gospel, R&B, VGH, Soul)
Youth hockey: - player, Manitoba 1952-63 - Coach 2001-03 Den Haag, Netherlands
Nordic skiing, ski mountaineering, back-country survival instructor, nordic skiing & disabled ski instructor
Fan of Hockey 1917-present, baseball 1871-1966, Football CFL 1948-present, NFL 1920-present
Comic book artist and story writer, comedy short story writer, Comic book fan and collector
Ancient history buff
Classic film buff

Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2017, 03:02:56 AM »

Entire civilian career, before and after active duty, in Grocery industry.  Started as a box boy worked my up to 3rd in charge before joining Navy.  After discharge worked for Certified Grocers of California then into consumer product sales.  In sales and sales management for 30 years, total of 38 years in the business

Pet peeve - people being unkind to each other for no apparent reason.  Sadly our country is sinking in this type of behavior.
Small World, eh?  My father got his South L.A. grocery store inventory almost exclusively from C.G.C. from 1965-1980.  I worked in that store during my undergraduate years.  My favourite baseball player was Hank Aaron, and my co-favourite basketball players were Elgin Baylor and Michael Jordan.  Can't pick one favourite singer, but Nat Cole is one (MOR like Johnny Mathis).  I hate to see people hurt others, and animals and The Earth, out of selfishness.  So, we are similar there, as well.

DJ Big Jack
Administrator

BOO !

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2017, 11:22:13 AM »

Born and raised in Pennsylvania Hard Coal country (Schuylkill County).  Now, live in Waynesboro, Pa (on the Pa/Md border near Gettysburg).  
No doo-wop music for me at all as a kid except for what I got to hear on American Bandstand or on late night radio (WKBW, WLS, etc) and the VGH tunes at that time were simply mixed in as "rock'n'roll" songs being played (rock'n'roll at that time to me was "anything new that my parents didn't listen to).

Family: wife (47 years), two grown sons

School:
-Stevens Trade .. Lancaster PA. after High School
-Austin Peay State U .. A.A. degree during Army career
-U of Maryland .. B.A. degree during Army career

Work:
-U.S. Army - 1962 through 1985.  Assignments with the White House and with the Joint Chiefs of Staff.  Two tours in Europe(Germany and Germany/Belgium), one tour in Okinawa, tours in the US (NJ, SC, Maryland, New Mexico, Kentucky).  Also, numerous temporary assignments worldwide (Hawaii, Trinidad, Canada, and all over the US.)
-Credit Card/Banking jobs (Citicorp, First Data Corp) - 1985 through 2001 including assignments in Dominican Republic
-Medically Retired - 2002

Travel:
-While in the Army,  personal travel in Europe (most European countries, including Yugoslavia, England, and Denmark),  personal travel in Far East (Okinawa, Taiwan, Korea), and all around the US.
-Personal travel after Army retirement,   Ireland, China, Mexico, Canada, all over the US including Alaska and Puerto Rico)
-Cruise ship travel,  all the standard island destinations in the Caribbean, as well as New England and Canadian coasts)

Fun Stuff:
-Internet DJ since my 33K dial up modem days (approximately 1996) at various fledgling Internet stations before the Internet Radio boom started
-Discovered doo-wop as a unique genre VERY late in life (1999) at an online Yahoo group which was cofounded by four people, two of which were Bruce Woolf & Frank Pellicone
-Started KSDW Internet Radio Station (2000) for the predecessor of the present Doowop Cafe Internet club.  DJed and managed the station until about 2010
-Since 2006,  Internet DJ at/in Second Life (an online virtual world community), playing a wide variety of music (mostly oldies and doo-wop) at various 'virtual club' venues, like "Runaround Sues", "Doowops Forever", "Winddragon Isle", etc.

Doowopjoe3

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2017, 12:57:11 PM »

Born and lived in the Bronx until 1985, been in West Melbourne Fl since. Was very smart when young, skipped a couple of grades and graduated from high school at 16. I did 1 1/2 years of junior college but found out girls were more fun to the dismay of my mother.
   I had a pigeon coop for 10 years and ended that because girls were more fun to the dismay of my pigeon coop partner, my cousin.
   Worked as a draftsman/mechanical designer on early space programs, then into real estate as a salesman then broker. Lastly in N.Y. as a manager for a home improvement chain that eventually went belly up...[but not because of me]. In Florida helped my rich brother-in-law build 68 houses in 2 years, then 18 yrs as a flooring estimator and salesman until 2005.
   Married my 1st wife in 1959 not knowing she was carrying another guys baby which ended in a messy divorce.......I got even.......married her sister and been together 51 years.
   Found VGH in 1953 or 54 when I first heard Gee/I Love You  so/Shoo Doo Be Doo in to the dismay of my mother and father and their Guy Lombardo tendencies. I was the guy all my friends came to for questions about the music. I was the guy everybody learned from and now, on this forum and the knowledge I have learned from the guys and Shandy is what motivates me every morning to click on this site.
   Thanks to all who contributed to my knowledge base.
doctordoowop

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2017, 02:48:27 PM »

Joe--you mentioned  Commack on another thread  (Vance)  Home of Hockey LI Ducks  and original  of of  NY Nets
Shandy

Manhattan Lifer, Chelsea

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2017, 05:19:51 PM »

Back at ya dwjoe3.

"The small man builds prisons for everyone he meets, but the wise woman ducks under the moon and tosses keys to the beautiful and rowdy prisoners."  Hafiz

"From childhood's hour I have not been as other were - have not seen as others saw - I could not drink(sic) my passions from a common stream.
JoeC

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2017, 05:52:36 PM »

Joe--you mentioned  Commack on another thread  (Vance)  Home of Hockey LI Ducks  and original  of of  NY Nets

My reply, Dr, is on the Hockey board (hope I moved it successfully).
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 05:54:24 PM by JoeC » Logged
doctordoowop

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2017, 07:59:24 PM »

Thanx  Joe
JoeC

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2017, 08:46:54 PM »

Born 1945 in Santa Monica, CA.
Lived in SOCAL until 1982 when former employer (R.T. French) promoted me and moved us to the Seattle area.
Graduated Excelsior High School, Norwalk, CA 1963 but attended La Puente High School first 3.5 years of HS
Active Duty Navy June 1963 to May 1971, two trips to Vietnam
Navy Reserve September 1973 to May 1987, retired but didn't get my benefits until I turned 60, worth the wait
AS Degree Sales Management - dropped out of school start of Junior year to accept transfer to Seattle.
Married 50 years this June, two grown children, 3 Granddaughters, the 7 yr old calls me Grandpa Doo Wop.
Became an internet DJ in 2008 purely by chance, no prior training or experience.  Our son was a communications major at Washington State University and worked in radio for a couple years - he taught me how to mix shows and work the control board software on my computer.

DWD,

- Not sure exactly what a "box boy" is but, as a part-time job after HS, I worked at an A&P. Worked in the store's receiving area and then stocked the store shelves after hours. Used a box cutter to rip into boxes; so, if you've ever gotten a box of cereal with a slashed top, you know how that happened! Actually liked that job coz you didn't have to deal with obnoxious customers.

- Grandpa Doowop. Gotta love that. Love my grandchildren but I'd have to give 'em a seminar on what doowop is. A losing battle, I think, in my case. Oldest grandson is a deejay who spins EDM (that Electronic Dance Music, for the uninitiated). Music that is all about "beats per minute." Only 16, he makes pretty good $$.
JoeC

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2017, 09:00:57 PM »

Robb, Couldn't bring a quote of your bio into play here due to exceeding 2500 characters, but:

Sounds like you could write a pretty darn interesting book! Talk about diverse experiences and interests!

I love Holland but man those North Sea beaches are COLD! Been to Scheveningen twice (summers, 30 years apart) and froze my rear off both times. English beaches were just as cold (why they all holiday in Ibiza, Costa del Sol or Canary's) when I lived there 1985-88.
JoeC

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2017, 09:11:34 PM »

Big Jack,

So we're not too far apart geographically. I live now right outside Annapolis, MD. My daughter lives in Danville, Pa. -- up the Susquehanna River.

I often listened those same 50,000 watters late at night -- WKBW in Buffalo and WLS in Chicago. Dick Biondi, Danny Neverth, Tommy Shannon, etc., all great DJs.

You may have come to the music late in life but sounds like you were brought into it by two experts!
JoeC

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2017, 09:25:50 PM »

Doowopjoe3 (there's two others??). Thankfully, not on this board. Colorful life up till now (and I like the way you write about it). Best is yet to come, right?

Think you are dead on with what you say about what we all learn here. I keep hearing about other music forums on this or that social media site but I can't imagine they are better than this.

I know I've seen several movies/TV shows about guys with pigeon coops on roofs. Of course, the character Brando portrayed in On the Waterfront was the most famous movie pigeon keeoer. Then there was Jimmy Smits' character on NYPD Blue. And, I think it was Forest Whitaker in the film, Ghost Dog. Obviously, Hollywood finds that hobby/vocation extremely interesting. I know, as a viewer, I did. See those??
Doowopdummy
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2017, 10:02:42 PM »

JoeC - a box is what is now known as a bagger.  I used to bag groceries when the shoppers checked out.  I have a collection of box cutters, used to always have one in my back pocket for protection until 9/11.  I stocked also and was deadly with my box cutter.

To all - forgive my duplicate entry, don't know how I did that.  You'll notice I've asked one of the Administrators to delete one of them for me.
JoeC

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2017, 10:43:46 PM »

Don't give it a thought DWD.

As Mike told me when I offered to delete my OT posts on the music/oldies board, only an administrator can do that. But ... tonight, I mistakenly replied on a hockey subject to doctordoowop and did so on the Member Intro thread here. So, I just copied what I'd written, then highlighted the copy, and deleted it, It got rid of it. I then went to the Hockey thread and pasted the hockey content there. If you look down below in this thread you'll see what went on.
doctordoowop

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2017, 10:47:48 PM »

Is that  THE  Danville? (Train)

Grew up very  poor-Levittown NY

College-- U of  PA--Philly

Med School NYC--Downstate  in Brooklyn--deferred from Viet  Nam

Internship, etc --- LA County  --USC.

6  kids

10 gr kids.

2nd wife

Never went back East after  USC

But  made many trips to NYC.

Started as pretty good baseball player--so  visited  Vero  Beach  many times-for  Adult  Camps. Cant ice skate.

Then to Carribean to play, Cuba, Dominican,  Costa Rica, Panama etc.
doctordoowop

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2017, 10:50:30 PM »

DWD--Elgin my fave too Shame never had  a center until Wilt--too  late then.  But grt footage on You Tube
JoeC

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2017, 11:01:35 PM »

Doctor, envy you those adult camps. I can only imagine how cool that musta been.

My son went west (to school at Arizona State in Tempe) in 1991; never came back East either. Worked in Scottsdale for years; more recently in Hollywood, out your way.
doctordoowop

« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2017, 01:39:03 AM »

Son at u of A now--Tucson.  Cant type fast  now   but  the camps  are/were fantastic.  Imagine  your coaches  being Snider, Erskine and Labine. Nuts Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

I'll  mention a tidbit or 2  from day to day.   Went from  1990to 97,then  2001 to 2003. Then  played  2003-2011 in Carribean. I saw a few Havana Moons.
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2017, 03:20:14 AM »

Robb, Couldn't bring a quote of your bio into play here due to exceeding 2500 characters, but:

Sounds like you could write a pretty darn interesting book! Talk about diverse experiences and interests!

I love Holland but man those North Sea beaches are COLD! Been to Scheveningen twice (summers, 30 years apart) and froze my rear off both times. English beaches were just as cold (why they all holiday in Ibiza, Costa del Sol or Canary's) when I lived there 1985-88.
I lived for 38 years on the 2nd to last street in Den Haag towards the ocean and Scheveningen.  Madurodam (the miniature model of all of The Netherlands), Westbroek Park and The Scheveningse Bosjes (forest preserves) are between, before Scheveningen.  I used to ride my bicycle there almost every day, and  ride it or run through the sand dunes to build up my leg strength.  Did you see the bronze statue of "De Visservrouw" along The Strand there?  My great aunt was the model who posed for it.  I used to run in the woods while composing my stories in my head.  Our summers have a lot of clouds fog and rain, especially over the last 7 years.  I think it's one of the effects of Global Warming.

I've been a lot of places, and only spent the 1st 2 years of my life on the same continent all year long.  I haven't spent as much as 1/2 year in the same country for over 40 years.  That's a major contributor to why I never got married, and why I have no children or grandchildren.  So you can't have it all.  You live like a Gypsy, you don't get the benefits of being in one place most of the time.  I often wake up in the morning wondering in which country and continent I am (and usually it's not the same one as in my dream just before waking).  Cheesy
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 11:25:17 PM by Robb_K » Logged

JoeC

« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2017, 09:37:36 AM »

Son at u of A now--Tucson.  Cant type fast  now   but  the camps  are/were fantastic.  Imagine  your coaches  being Snider, Erskine and Labine. Nuts Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

I'll  mention a tidbit or 2  from day to day.   Went from  1990to 97,then  2001 to 2003. Then  played  2003-2011 in Carribean. I saw a few Havana Moons.

Dr., I can't resist this topic (Dodger camp) but will use the Baseball Thread to comment and ask questions.
Doowopjoe3

« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2017, 10:27:59 AM »

Joe C....When I switched from dial-up to broadband I was told there was a doowopjoe already {On youtube}. It was suggested that I could use 1or 2. I was born 3/3 @ 3am, mom youngest of 3 sisters, dad oldest of 3 brothers.1 or 2 had no chance. I did see a couple of movies with pigeon coops. My mainly Italian neighborhood in the NE Bronx was loaded with coops, it was like a right of passage. My father, uncles and best friend all had coops. I was 8 yrs old with my first one with 7 pigeons {A gift from my uncle} and stopped @18 with between 150/175 birds at times. It left me with great memories and a diagnosis that my constant bouts of "Pink eye" was caused by constantly cleaning pigeon poop out of the coop. {Truth}
doctordoowop

« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2017, 10:38:41 AM »

Ok Joe   

Busy now
JoeC

« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2017, 11:50:01 AM »

Joe C....When I switched from dial-up to broadband I was told there was a doowopjoe already {On youtube}. It was suggested that I could use 1or 2. I was born 3/3 @ 3am, mom youngest of 3 sisters, dad oldest of 3 brothers.1 or 2 had no chance. I did see a couple of movies with pigeon coops. My mainly Italian neighborhood in the NE Bronx was loaded with coops, it was like a right of passage. My father, uncles and best friend all had coops. I was 8 yrs old with my first one with 7 pigeons {A gift from my uncle} and stopped @18 with between 150/175 birds at times. It left me with great memories and a diagnosis that my constant bouts of "Pink eye" was caused by constantly cleaning pigeon poop out of the coop. {Truth}

Love it. In "Ghost Dog," Forest Whittaker the hitman gets his "orders" for hits via pigeon.
bklynmike101

« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2017, 12:07:31 PM »

There's a video out there of The Drifters singing on the rooftop (guess which song?) in which one of them takes pigeons out of the rooftop coop and hands them to several of the other members to hold and stroke. For some reason, every time I see it I cringe a little as I always think the pigeons will be crushed somehow. Not that I really give a darn about pigeons, but that's how it goes.   
doctordoowop

« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2017, 12:21:56 PM »

Stallone in Lords  of Flatbush   had  pigeons on his  roof. 1st "big" movie for him.
Doowopdummy
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2017, 03:52:22 PM »

Robb - what was the name of your Dad's store in Los Angeles.

Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2017, 07:41:29 PM »

Robb - what was the name of your Dad's store in Los Angeles.
Tanner's Market.  It was on Montclair St, between 28th St. and Adams Blvd.  The great 1965 Black Panther/LA police shootout was a less than a hundred yards north on Adams and Montclair.

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: