DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 17, 2017, 11:32:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
ATTENTION:
NO COMMERCIAL SITES OR LINKS TO COMMERCIAL SITES ALLOWED ON THIS FORUM. IF YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO SELL,
ie, CLOTHES, RECORDS, FURNTURE, ETC. DON'T DO IT HERE. THE URL WILL BE DELETED...  Mike Paladino
75103 Posts in 6940 Topics by 192 Members
Latest Member: doowopbob
* Home Help Login Register
+  DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
|-+  OT - OFF TOPIC TOPICS :-)
| |-+  Off Topic Stuff
| | |-+  Member Introductions
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Member Introductions  (Read 2438 times)
doctordoowop

« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2017, 08:24:34 PM »

Acrossthe street  from Sanford & Son?
Doowopdummy
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2017, 08:29:49 PM »

Thanks Robb - that's one I didn't have when I covered that area as a Rep for French's Mustard.  I was in a safe place during the Watts riots - I was in Danang, Vietnam.
doctordoowop

« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2017, 11:37:18 PM »

DoowopJoe--serious question.  Is there any way an amateur golfer can make $$?   My daughter  is being   lied to,IMO.  By boyfriend.

Its pros or  no$$ rite?
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2017, 07:31:06 PM »

Thanks Robb - that's one I didn't have when I covered that area as a Rep for French's Mustard.  I was in a safe place during the Watts riots - I was in Danang, Vietnam.
In which parts of L.A. did your French's route take you?

Doowopdummy
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2017, 02:30:24 PM »

Robb - in 1981 I called on several of the independent stores who were CGC members.  My territory stretched from San Fernando Valley down into Imperial Valley.  No San Diego.  Had a few stores in Watts, many in east L.A..  I must have done a good job as I was promoted and moved up here the end of the year.
JoeC

« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2017, 08:43:14 AM »

Just "bumping" this one to the front again.

In case anyone else wants to take a crack at an Intro, or a re-look prompts any new/different discussions.
JoeC

« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2017, 07:43:18 PM »

Bump
doowopbob

« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2017, 01:39:34 PM »

I see a post by someone calling themselves doowopdummy that was born in SOCAL and worked for Certified Grocers of California - does anybody know who this person is?  I ask only because I worked there in the early 70s.

I want to yodel, I want to lurk, does that make me a total jerk?
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2017, 02:04:11 PM »

I see a post by someone calling themselves doowopdummy that was born in SOCAL and worked for Certified Grocers of California - does anybody know who this person is?  I ask only because I worked there in the early 70s.
Welcome Bob.  The more VGH fans the better here. Why don't you click on doowopdummy's member name on this thread.  That will take you to his Member Page.  Then you can click on "Send doowopdummy a personal message" button (link), and then you can send him a personal message (PM).

However, I'd like to tell you that my father owned a grocery store in The Crenshaw Area of South Los Angeles from 1965 through about 1976 or so.  I worked there from 1965-1969.  It was called "Tanner's Market", located on Montclair St. and 28th Street just east of Cal Worthington Dodge dealership home of famous salesman Chick Lambert and his dog, "Storm".  That's where Cal Worthington got his idea for his famous commercials with "his dog, Spot".  He said, "IF you come down and see me and you don't by a car, I'LL EAT A BUG!"   He was quite a character.  You couldn't have watched TV in L.A. from 1957-1990, and NOT know who he was.

Did you service Tanner's Market?   What did you do for CGC? 

It's a small World, eh?

doowopbob

« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2017, 02:19:18 PM »

Robb K - thanks for the tip.  I was a long haul driver dispatcher and handled their payroll.

Shandy

Manhattan Lifer, Chelsea

« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2017, 02:20:39 PM »

Bob - He's sort of dropped out but is alive and well and living in Seattle.  We e-mail and are on some of the same FB music sites.  I keep trying to get him to come back.  He was a good poster that got fed up.  I got fed up, too, but chose to ignore it instead of acknowledging it.  I think he'll return once he has a breather.

"The small man builds prisons for everyone he meets, but the wise woman ducks under the moon and tosses keys to the beautiful and rowdy prisoners."  Hafiz

"From childhood's hour I have not been as other were - have not seen as others saw - I could not drink(sic) my passions from a common stream.
doowopbob

« Reply #41 on: July 29, 2017, 02:25:19 PM »

Thank you for the information Shandy, appreciate it.  I took Robb's tip and went to the member list but he's no longer there.

JoeC

« Reply #42 on: July 29, 2017, 04:37:13 PM »

Bob, I'm no IT expert but looks like you could possibly still email Doowopdummy. His PM button is gone but the email button survives. Just scroll back to one of his posts in this thread (he has several) and hit the envelope button under his name. Not sure what'll happen but you might wanna give that a try.

Not sure he ever was a member. He always was listed on his posts as a "guest" on this board. Not that I really understand exactly what all those categories in the left margin really mean. Let me know if the envelope icon works for you.
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #43 on: July 29, 2017, 05:42:06 PM »

Robb K - thanks for the tip.  I was a long haul driver dispatcher and handled their payroll.
I take it, then, that you couldn't possibly remember individual stores to which you dispatched drivers.

doowopbob

« Reply #44 on: July 29, 2017, 07:37:44 PM »

Robb K - I was only involved with stores from our San Fernando, Corona and Santa Fe Springs long haul department which meant north of San Fernando, Las Vegas, the upper desert.  Do I remember any of the stores?  Yes, the Tradewell/Prairie were huge customers as were the Williams Brothers, Scolaris and when the Treasury stores were in the Bay area.  I do remember a few of the smaller, Los Angeles based chains such as Gelsons, Thriftimart, Boys, Hughes and Dales.

doctordoowop

« Reply #45 on: July 29, 2017, 11:49:11 PM »

Gelson's  now  best.   Boys, Thriftymart[big T],  Hughes,  gone  for yrs.  Dales?? 

Ralph's  &  Von's  everywhere.
doowopbob

« Reply #46 on: July 30, 2017, 12:13:23 AM »

doctordoowop - Dales were all in the Valley.  We did not service the larger chains as they had their own distribution centers.  A couple exceptions were:  CGC serviced Lucky stores for frozen foods, Albertsons for  HABA. 

Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #47 on: July 30, 2017, 04:09:08 AM »

Robb K - I was only involved with stores from our San Fernando, Corona and Santa Fe Springs long haul department which meant north of San Fernando, Las Vegas, the upper desert.  Do I remember any of the stores?  Yes, the Tradewell/Prairie were huge customers as were the Williams Brothers, Scolaris and when the Treasury stores were in the Bay area.  I do remember a few of the smaller, Los Angeles based chains such as Gelsons, Thriftimart, Boys, Hughes and Dales.
Doowopdummy was a driver, who had a route from The Pomona Valley in the east, towards, Los Angeles, all the way to The San Fernando Valley, during the 1960s and early '70s, if I remember correctly.

JoeC

« Reply #48 on: July 30, 2017, 09:01:29 AM »

When I hear about truck drivers and South Central, can't help think about those videos of Reginald Denny and Fidel Lopez, the two drivers hauled out of their trucks and brutally beaten at Florence & Normandie.

I happened to be in El Segundo on business that week (my PSA flight from San Jose touched down at LAX as the Simi Valley jury's verdict was being reported).

Guess Denny eventually recovered (whatever that might mean for him); find it interesting that he has never spoken out on the incident, written a book, etc. As far as I know, he has kept a very low profile. Don't know what happened to Lopez.

Should be mentioned that they both have African American citizens to thank for saving their lives. They surely would've died in that intersection had not a few brave people intervened.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 12:21:08 PM by JoeC » Logged
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #49 on: July 30, 2017, 09:15:01 AM »

When I hear about truck drivers and South Central, can't help think about those videos of Reginald Denny and Fidel Lopez, the two drivers hauled out of their trucks and brutally beaten at Florence & Normandie. Guess Denny eventually recovered (whatever that might mean for him); find it interesting that he has never spoken out on the incident, written a book, etc. As far as I know, he has kept a very low profile. Don't know what happened to Lopez.
I'm glad my father's market was spared of the looting and burning in "The Watts Riots".  He was well liked in The Community, as he was friendly and allowed many of the local regular customers to buy on credit.  I had many friends there, myself, and was accepted.  Still and all, I was glad that I wasn't at the store during The Riots.  We stayed inside.  There were rioters driving up and down the freeways and major streets shooting random people.  Those were scary days.  We actually had a famous Black Panther Shootout only 2 doors down, on the corner of Adams Blvd. and Montclair, in 1965, in which several people were killed.  One time, there was a shooting in the pool hall about 4 doors down the street to the south.  I heard the shot and ran over to see what happened.  One guy accused another of cheating (moving a ball? or changing the score by moving some scoring rings along the string) in their pool game, pulled out a gun and shot the other.  I knew BOTH of them.  USA is a violent place.  There are probably a LOT more guns and killings now than there were in 1965.

Shandy

Manhattan Lifer, Chelsea

« Reply #50 on: July 30, 2017, 10:12:37 AM »

Robb - I guess the news doesn't reach your little hamlet.  Crime has been down all over the US for some years now and we don't know why.  Of course we have a lot more than a town of 300 would Wink

"The small man builds prisons for everyone he meets, but the wise woman ducks under the moon and tosses keys to the beautiful and rowdy prisoners."  Hafiz

"From childhood's hour I have not been as other were - have not seen as others saw - I could not drink(sic) my passions from a common stream.
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #51 on: July 30, 2017, 11:19:38 AM »

Robb - I guess the news doesn't reach your little hamlet.  Crime has been down all over the US for some years now and we don't know why.  Of course we have a lot more than a town of 300 would Wink
I wouldn't call a place with 300 Humans, 100 cows, 500 chickens, 1000 ducks and 1000 sheep, but has NO shops or businesses of any kind, a "town".  I'd call it a village or a hamlet.  I'll call it a village, as a "hamlet" wouldn't likely be Kosher!  Grin

I don't want to get into a big discussion on "dangerous places".  Because USA is a big country which has places ranging from very, very safe to dangerous.  I'm glad to hear that "crime figures" are down all over USA.  But public statistics can be manipulated and used to prove just about anything.  I assume that you meant that "violent crime statistics" are down all over.  Even so, there's a big, big difference between reported crimes and ALL crimes committed.  I lived in African-American Ghettos in Chicago, Los Angeles and San Francisco Bay Area, and I can tell you that there were many, many killings in those places that NEVER got reported.  Let's just say that even now, I wouldn't walk around in West  L.A. at night. And that's a lot nicer than average neighbourhood in The L.A. Area.

JoeC

« Reply #52 on: July 30, 2017, 12:17:07 PM »

Tell that to the people in the Chicago ghetto. Or, up the road a bit from me in Baltimore.
doctordoowop

« Reply #53 on: July 30, 2017, 12:39:31 PM »

JoeC--I know [knew] Reginald  Denny  well.   Spent  few  hrs with him    15  or  so   yrs  ago.  [He didn't know he was named after the  actor] .  Decent, not angry or racist,  quiet and calm.  But  that's what "lobotomies" do.

Damian "Football"  Williams  crushed the left side of his head-temple-  with a brick.  Never  had it cosmetically  fixed.  He is  slightly-moderately brain damaged.  He  had a job  fixing  boats on the Salton sea.   (Says a lot if  u  work  on boats in a desert).   Had little  memory  of what happened.  Told me he took  Florence   exit to  avoid the traffic.  Said he  didn't want to run people down so stopped at Normandie.  Had  rocks or sand on his truck. Going to  Inglewood.

So  at most  an  article could be  produced--not enuff  there for  even a short book.

Johnnie  Cochran was his attorney.   Sued US, CA,  Sheriff  and LAPD.  All  dismissed.  So was just left with work comp.  I'm sure Cochran's  only W Comp  case ever.
JoeC

« Reply #54 on: July 30, 2017, 12:59:12 PM »

Dr., thnx for the Denny update. Makes me both glad and sad. I've seen that footage (including the very worst from Williams and a few others). Amazing he lived.
doctordoowop

« Reply #55 on: July 30, 2017, 03:40:59 PM »

Well a 15 yr old update.   Williams  spent littleor no time in custody  for Denny  attack.  Now in prison for life for another murder.

As u know Joe--the gang violence everywhere  is vicious.  M-13  is the tip  of iceberg.

There are at least  5  or more  Blood/Crip  Asian gangs  busy murdering each other  in LA  Cty.

I just found out  Asians  were  allowed in.  Amazing.  Police  are afraid--why never  eradicated.
Shandy

Manhattan Lifer, Chelsea

« Reply #56 on: July 30, 2017, 04:02:48 PM »

Robb - If you really pay attention, I called it a hamlet first and a town second.  Sort of like the nitpicking you did with the two b's Robins, lol.  Following your logic, do you think the statics were manipulated when they said that crime was through the roof?  Rhetorical.  And I'm guessing you won't be walking around anywhere in the US soon, so why should you care.  WE have to deal with whatever and we will.  And we're off topic anyway Shocked

Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #57 on: July 30, 2017, 04:31:55 PM »

Robb - If you really pay attention, I called it a hamlet first and a town second.  Sort of like the nitpicking you did with the two b's Robins, lol.  Following your logic, do you think the statics were manipulated when they said that crime was through the roof?  Rhetorical.  And I'm guessing you won't be walking around anywhere in the US soon, so why should you care.  WE have to deal with whatever and we will.  And we're off topic anyway Shocked
I'll be in L.A. from beginning of November through early January. 

Shandy

Manhattan Lifer, Chelsea

« Reply #58 on: July 30, 2017, 04:39:17 PM »

BE AFRAID!   BE VERY, VERY AFRAID!!!!!  Lol, not really.  Enjoy the trip Smiley

Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #59 on: July 31, 2017, 04:50:59 AM »

BE AFRAID!   BE VERY, VERY AFRAID!!!!!  Lol, not really.  Enjoy the trip Smiley
Thanks.  I will enjoy it very much. I will stay with my "Danish" sister, and we 2 Canadian Jews will celebrate US Thanksgiving (ours is in October), and even Christmas with lots of our 1st cousins, with whom we grew up in the same house as brothers and sisters. Four of us come from different parts of The World, to always celebrate our birthdays together.  My birthday is Nov. 24th.  My first cousin, who shared a bedroom with me, has his birthday the day before, and his sister, who slept in the next bedroom over, has her birthday the day after mine.  And, another 1st cousin, who lived 2 houses away (but, essentially lived with us), had his birthday one week before.  My brother from Sweden, and my sister from Manitoba (our parents' house) will come to L.A. to spend Christmas vacation with us and the cousins. We celebrate Khanukkah and Danish-style Christmas, together, along with my sister's Danish inlaws.  Then, a few days after New Year's Day,  I'll return to Winnipeg, to spend 3 weeks at my other sister's house.  Nice that I can send my work over The Internet, and talk with my editors on camera on Skype, so I can work from anywhere in The World that has Internet connection.  I often wake up in the morning not knowing on which continent or in which country I am.  But it's great that I get to see my close family and friends so much, as that's most of what's important to me at this late time of my life.  And, when the 40 of us get together, we are a large enough group, that we can go out walking on the beach in Hermosa Beach, or even West L.A., late at night, - without fear!   Grin
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 05:16:15 AM by Robb_K » Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: