DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 22, 2017, 02:10:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
ATTENTION:
NO COMMERCIAL SITES OR LINKS TO COMMERCIAL SITES ALLOWED ON THIS FORUM. IF YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO SELL,
ie, CLOTHES, RECORDS, FURNTURE, ETC. DON'T DO IT HERE. THE URL WILL BE DELETED...  Mike Paladino
75137 Posts in 6941 Topics by 192 Members
Latest Member: doowopbob
* Home Help Login Register
+  DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
|-+  OT - OFF TOPIC TOPICS :-)
| |-+  Off Topic Stuff
| | |-+  Words,Expressions Can't Stand (recent vintage)--- Like to Ban Them
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Words,Expressions Can't Stand (recent vintage)--- Like to Ban Them  (Read 4982 times)
doctordoowop

« on: April 05, 2017, 10:49:37 PM »

Selfie
At the end of the day
That said..
Too much on my plate
We're  on the same page

We had banned songs   at our Doo Wop society shows--  Lion sleeps  Tonite, Little Darlin, and a couple more.  Likewise

I would love to ban the  above useless  silly  expressions. Grin Grin Grin

Any others? I know I have some.

Shandy

Manhattan Lifer, Chelsea

« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2017, 01:37:23 AM »

"Cray cray" - crazy
"Vay cay" - vacation
"Hi, bitches" - Said by women to other women and suppose to be a term of endearment and hipness.  Don't try that on me, bitch, lol.
"Shrooms" - mushrooms
"No good deed goes unpunished" - Cynical as hell and not true, either.  Just don't give to get and you'll be fine.
"Nice guys finish last."  - Said by MFers, mostly men, to justify their despicable behavior.
"It's just as easy to fall in love with a rich man as a poor man."  Said by female gold diggers to justify their avarice.
"Geeze, Louise" - So unhip
"Losing is not an option." - Meant to show confidence but only shows arrogance.

Beautiful version of "Lion":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJuEuRCKq1s
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 01:39:44 AM by Shandy » Logged

"The small man builds prisons for everyone he meets, but the wise woman ducks under the moon and tosses keys to the beautiful and rowdy prisoners."  Hafiz

"From childhood's hour I have not been as other were - have not seen as others saw - I could not drink(sic) my passions from a common stream.
DJ Big Jack
Administrator

BOO !

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2017, 06:20:41 AM »

Shandy,  as soon as you said "beautiful version of Lion" and before I clicked on the link, that's exactly the version I thought of.

43doowop

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2017, 08:48:38 AM »

having said that

trending

just saying

tweets

bklynmike101

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2017, 11:47:13 AM »

"Moving forward" - and all variations thereon.

What the bleep does that mean? Of all business-speak/jargon I've encountered, that one takes me over the edge.
bluesnrhythm

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2017, 12:57:23 PM »

I don't often chime in on these off-topic discussions but:

"IT IS WHAT IT IS."

aaarggghhhh Angry Angry Angry

Greeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat day in the morning you sweet temptatious thing!
doctordoowop

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2017, 01:19:09 PM »

Thanx--agree  with all the above. "Nice  guys  finish  last"    Not vintage tho--Leo Durocher in 1951  Giant  manager I believe started it.

The word LIKE---Like I'm  sick of  it, like  it really bothers me.  Like,ya know?

Very excellent suggestions. BTW, the ones above that I  have heard  I'm proud  to say I  have banned from my  speech.   

It is wat is--great & means nothing.
doctordoowop

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2017, 01:20:15 PM »

DUDE Grin

To be honest
Shandy

Manhattan Lifer, Chelsea

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2017, 08:23:18 PM »

r&b - OH, I HATE THAT ONE.  I guess I try to erase it from my brain so I forgot it on my list.

doctor - "Dude" is so lame, but lamer still men and women are calling other women that. 

"douch bag" - Always crude, but now women are calling men that.  What's next, calling women "jock strap"??

"The small man builds prisons for everyone he meets, but the wise woman ducks under the moon and tosses keys to the beautiful and rowdy prisoners."  Hafiz

"From childhood's hour I have not been as other were - have not seen as others saw - I could not drink(sic) my passions from a common stream.
doctordoowop

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2017, 11:01:35 PM »

I  could care  less.

On my  radar.

Shandy  --anything goes now  in day to day language--now we  have commercials  for  KY  Jelly--for those who  "cant wait."
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2017, 01:14:25 AM »

I  could care  less.

On my  radar.

Shandy  --anything goes now  in day to day language--now we  have commercials  for  KY  Jelly--for those who  "cant wait."

Yes!  A very bad one.  Defies logic.  But, then, if Humans had any kind of logic, The World wouldn't be such a mess.  I have no patience with people who can't even speak their OWN language, - the language of the country in which they were raised.  (Not even bothering to mention that most English speakers don't bother to even learn another language, even when half the people living in their country speak it.  And, it gets pitiful when the leader of that same country can't even master his nation's own tongue.

Shandy

Manhattan Lifer, Chelsea

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2017, 01:40:38 AM »

Robb - The only thing I miss about the second Bush is his malaprops, lol.

Shandy

Manhattan Lifer, Chelsea

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2017, 05:51:26 AM »

Jack - How cool are you Cool

doctor - actually said by him in the late 40's when he managed the Dodgers, but I never heard it growing up, did any of you?  I don't think I heard it until the '80's, but it's still going strong today.

JoeC

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2017, 08:43:20 AM »

Durocher gave the "Nice Guys" title to his autobiography.

From a Univ of Chicago publication/website. Durocher speaking:

"The Nice Guys Finish Last line came about because of Eddie Stanky too. And wholly by accident. I’m not going to back away from it though. It has got me into Bartlett’s Quotations— page 1059, between John Betjeman and Wystan Hugh Auden—and will be remembered long after I have been forgotten. Just who the hell were Betjeman and Auden anyway?

It came about during batting practice at the Polo Grounds, while I was managing the Dodgers. I was sitting in the dugout with Frank Graham of the old Journal-American, and several other newspapermen, having one of those freewheeling bull sessions. Frankie pointed to Eddie Stanky in the batting cage and said, very quietly, “Leo, what makes you like this fellow so much? Why are you so crazy about this fellow?”

I started by quoting the famous Rickey statement: “He can’t hit, he can’t run, he can’t field, he can’t throw. He can’t do a goddamn thing, Frank—but beat you.” He might not have as much ability as some of the other players, I said, but every day you got 100 percent from him and he was trying to give you 125 percent. “Sure, they call him the Brat and the Mobile Muskrat and all of that,” I was saying, and just at that point, the Giants, led by Mel Ott, began to come out of their dugout to take their warm-up. Without missing a beat, I said, “Take a look at that Number Four there. A nicer guy never drew breath than that man there.” I called off his players’ names as they came marching up the steps behind him, “Walker Cooper, Mize, Marshall, Kerr, Gordon, Thomson. Take a look at them. All nice guys. They’ll finish last. Nice guys. Finish last.”
Doowopjoe3

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2017, 08:57:25 AM »

The word my wife uses every time we disagree on something....."Whatever"
JoeC

« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2017, 09:48:43 AM »

One I use all the time is "if I recall correctly" (IIRC in computer speak). I'm not sure any person over 70 can afford NOT to have that expression in use frequently!
DJ Big Jack
Administrator

BOO !

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2017, 10:37:24 AM »

Shandy,  about "dude" ... I agree and I laugh every time I hear Trump use it   "they are bad dudes"  is my favorite quote by him.   His vocabulary isn't very large .. "big" and "great" are his favorite words, I think.      This is NOT meant to be political . but is in the flavor of the Topic "words, expressions I can't stand"

other expressions I don't like that are in popular use

--- Seriously?

--- "Whatever" grates on my nerves , but  "What ...........ever" said jokingly as a parody of the phrase is ok.   Fine line, huh ?

--- floats your boat

--- most business buzz words and phrases ,  like  "Stakeholder" , "top quality", "best practices", "customer-centric", "touchpoint", "value added"

Oh well, whatever floats your boat and helps all boats rise works as a best practice paradigm , in the forseeable future, in my humble opinion, no pun intended and present company excepted, unless applicable to the core competency situation. 

This comment does not cover misuse, accident, lightning, flood, tornado, tsunami, volcanic eruption, earthquake, hurricanes and other Acts of God, neglect, damage from improper reading, incorrect line voltage, improper or unauthorized use, broken antenna or marred cabinet, missing or altered serial numbers, removal of tag, electromagnetic radiation from nuclear blasts, sonic boom, crash, ship sinking or taking on water, motor vehicle crashing, dropping the item, falling rocks, leaky roof, broken glass, mud slides, forest fire, or projectile (which can include, but not be limited to, arrows, bullets, shot, BB?s, paintball, shrapnel, lasers, napalm, torpedoes, or emissions of X-rays, Alpha, Beta and Gamma rays, knives, stones, etc.).

design

« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2017, 10:56:34 AM »

Thank You...."No Problem"

How about You're Welcome.

DESIGN

I'm turning the camera….which way, I'm turning it. Let this guy try.
doctordoowop

« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2017, 02:42:16 PM »

Under the radar.

Chick Filet  says  "my pleasure'  if u thank them

"I could care less."

Personal  best--(no other kind)

Personal  belongings-(-no other kind)
doctordoowop

« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2017, 05:16:50 PM »

I heard it  Shandy--but only in context of baseball--Leo  also managed the Giants,  and Cubs  & coached for the LA Dodgers.
Shandy

Manhattan Lifer, Chelsea

« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2017, 05:17:15 PM »

Jack -  Grin Grin Grin Grin

Entrepreneur - I have no visible means of support or if I do, it' not legal.

My brand - Sort of the same as above.

Power couple - Get over yourselves, you're not all that.

43doowop

« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2017, 06:12:20 PM »

Kardashians
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2017, 06:14:23 PM »

I've heard "Nice Guys Finish Last" already starting when I was a little kid in the 1940s.  It is NOT a new idea.  There have always been aggressive men getting their way.

Shandy

Manhattan Lifer, Chelsea

« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2017, 10:34:15 PM »

I didn't say it was a new idea, just that it was relatively new to me.  I'm sure when his book came out they may have been throwing it around some here, but it was gone by the time I was born.  If you ask most people here, they think it refers to guys getting dumped by women for the "bad boys" and probably never heard of Durocher.

doctordoowop

« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2017, 08:46:40 PM »

Disgruntled--  meaning  murderous  rage--a "disgruntled  trainer killed " some in Coral  Gables Fl  today.
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2017, 09:07:51 PM »

I didn't say it was a new idea, just that it was relatively new to me.  I'm sure when his book came out they may have been throwing it around some here, but it was gone by the time I was born.  If you ask most people here, they think it refers to guys getting dumped by women for the "bad boys" and probably never heard of Durocher.
In my World, it wasn't taken from Leo Durocher's saying.  It was a general saying about adult males and their quest for power, riches and glory.  Nobody in Manitoba other than my family, who spent parts of summer in Chicago, would have even heard of Leo.  "Nice guys finish last" was a saying, probably as far back as 100,000 years ago, because men have always been highly competitive, and playing completely fair and being "nice" won't ever cut it against the bigger, stronger, meaner bullies in this World. 

JoeC

« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2017, 10:44:08 PM »

Another version of what Leo ACTUALLY said was along the lines of -- "Look at those guys over there (the opponents, the Giants). They're all great guys. They're also in 7th place,"  Something softer than the famous "quote."
Shandy

Manhattan Lifer, Chelsea

« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2017, 12:53:06 AM »

Robb - We certainly live in different worlds.  I know you don't care for NY in particular because you said it here before, and the U.S. in general because you said you'd only live in some remote place in Maine or something like that.  Maine is stunning, but I have no frame of reference for living all around the place and can't living anywhere else.  But if I had to, it would be Amsterdam or Bruges.  I'm guessing you don't go to Amsterdam much?

Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2017, 02:55:04 AM »

Robb - We certainly live in different worlds.  I know you don't care for NY in particular because you said it here before, and the U.S. in general because you said you'd only live in some remote place in Maine or something like that.  Maine is stunning, but I have no frame of reference for living all around the place and can't living anywhere else.  But if I had to, it would be Amsterdam or Bruges.  I'm guessing you don't go to Amsterdam much?
I don't like Amsterdam all that much, because it is too crowded and noisy, and full of tourists.  But, I go there probably about once every two weeks when I'm in The Netherlands, as I have a couple work partners there and a few friends there.  My Editorship's offices are nearby, in Hoffdorp, near Schipol.  And, I go there to take the train to Denmark and Sweden.  But, I don't go there for cultural events (music, theatre, etc.), or restaurants, or shopping.  I suppose, if I were forced to live in USA but, with a choice of places, I'd live in northwest Washington State, Norheastern Minnesota (The Iron Range, by Lake Superior) or Maine or Northern Vermont, or The Panhandle of Alaska.  But, I'd much rather live in Canada, if in North America, with its much less violent society, and much more socially-oriented government.

DJ Big Jack
Administrator

BOO !

« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2017, 07:19:51 AM »

Amsterdam was fun to experience, but I wouldn't want to live there.

Bruges is nice,  I loved the canals.  I lived near there for six months in a small farm town (Florennes) , renting a room over a bar .. happy days !

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: