DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 17, 2017, 11:29:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
ATTENTION:
NO COMMERCIAL SITES OR LINKS TO COMMERCIAL SITES ALLOWED ON THIS FORUM. IF YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO SELL,
ie, CLOTHES, RECORDS, FURNTURE, ETC. DON'T DO IT HERE. THE URL WILL BE DELETED...  Mike Paladino
75103 Posts in 6940 Topics by 192 Members
Latest Member: doowopbob
* Home Help Login Register
+  DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
|-+  OT - OFF TOPIC TOPICS :-)
| |-+  Off Topic Stuff
| | |-+  Words,Expressions Can't Stand (recent vintage)--- Like to Ban Them
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Words,Expressions Can't Stand (recent vintage)--- Like to Ban Them  (Read 4850 times)
doctordoowop

« Reply #150 on: August 15, 2017, 03:19:47 PM »

See what happens  wen we leave Joe? Grin Grin Grin Grin
Shandy

Manhattan Lifer, Chelsea

« Reply #151 on: August 15, 2017, 04:00:43 PM »

doc - NY waits for no man, lol.  I live here and recently I invited friends to one of my favorite restaurants, three blocks from me.  It's gone.  So if it's "What a difference a day makes." for me, it's "What a difference decades make." for you.

"The small man builds prisons for everyone he meets, but the wise woman ducks under the moon and tosses keys to the beautiful and rowdy prisoners."  Hafiz

"From childhood's hour I have not been as other were - have not seen as others saw - I could not drink(sic) my passions from a common stream.
JoeC

« Reply #152 on: August 15, 2017, 04:23:02 PM »

doc - NY waits for no man, lol.  I live here and recently I invited friends to one of my favorite restaurants, three blocks from me.  It's gone.  So if it's "What a difference a day makes." for me, it's "What a difference decades make." for you.

Very true. You think a place that's been there 25 years will last forever.

A childhood memory of mine was eating at my father's favorite French restaurant at the Albert Hotel on the corner of E. 11th & University Place in Greenwich Village. Had a mini Eiffel Tower out front and waiters wore berets. I remember seeing Rocky Graziano the boxer there once when we walked in. Tried to revisit in the 80s or 90s -- long gone. Is the Hotel still standing?
doctordoowop

« Reply #153 on: August 15, 2017, 05:55:24 PM »

As  Ed  Norton  said to Ralph  Kramden   about a sewer  expression--"Time and tide wait for no man." Grin Grin Grin Grin
Shandy

Manhattan Lifer, Chelsea

« Reply #154 on: August 15, 2017, 08:36:57 PM »

doc - Those 39 episodes of The Honeymooners never leave us, do they?  And they sure do come in handy Grin  May I interest you in a string of po-LOP-po-nees Grin Grin
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 09:38:41 PM by Shandy » Logged

"The small man builds prisons for everyone he meets, but the wise woman ducks under the moon and tosses keys to the beautiful and rowdy prisoners."  Hafiz

"From childhood's hour I have not been as other were - have not seen as others saw - I could not drink(sic) my passions from a common stream.
DJ Big Jack
Administrator

BOO !

« Reply #155 on: August 15, 2017, 09:30:42 PM »

http://thehotelalbert.com/

Shandy

Manhattan Lifer, Chelsea

« Reply #156 on: August 15, 2017, 09:41:20 PM »

Jack - They skipped over the part where it became a welfare hotel.  I could write more on this place than the site, lol.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 01:06:56 PM by Shandy » Logged

doctordoowop

« Reply #157 on: August 15, 2017, 11:05:54 PM »

Shandy--the writer  of the  Poloponies   show  had  just the  one  line  --and  wrote  a whole  show  so  he could  get  in the  mispronouncing  of theword.  Brilliant! Grin Grin Grin Grin
Shandy

Manhattan Lifer, Chelsea

« Reply #158 on: August 16, 2017, 01:06:15 PM »

doc - Yes, those writers were something else.  Another line from that episode where they try acting....."Rachael, you've come back!"  And remember that one character actor that play all those parts?  Like we weren't supposed to notice Grin

design

« Reply #159 on: August 16, 2017, 07:22:17 PM »

doc - Yes, those writers were something else.  Another line from that episode where they try acting....."Rachael, you've come back!"  And remember that one character actor that play all those parts?  Like we weren't supposed to notice Grin
That was a great line from the show. It was his tone and head movements. I loved it.

DESIGN

I'm turning the camera….which way, I'm turning it. Let this guy try.
doctordoowop

« Reply #160 on: August 16, 2017, 09:46:02 PM »

Are  there  any  comedians  now--that  are one of  a kind and  impossible  to  repalce?

A la Groucho,  Rodney,  et al.  I dont think so.
Shandy

Manhattan Lifer, Chelsea

« Reply #161 on: August 16, 2017, 10:26:09 PM »

design - That simple line was a stand-out because of what you mentioned.  In and of itself, it's not much.

doc - I was very into the comedy scene (on the fringe) for about 20 years, but I can't say who's hot an who's not now.  The only buzz that sticks in my head are for Amy Poehler, Amy Schumer and Tina Fey.  I've seen all three and don't know what the fuss is about.  To get back to the original topic, do you believe in bleeding "incidents", or do people just bleed from where you sit, lol.

doctordoowop

« Reply #162 on: August 16, 2017, 11:32:39 PM »

Those  3  will  be  soon  forgotten--sort  of like  David Brenner, Jackie  Vernon  and Alan King Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin..

Shandy--what  is a bleeding incident?  Seriously, never  heard  that  expression.  Sounds  interesting.
Shandy

Manhattan Lifer, Chelsea

« Reply #163 on: August 17, 2017, 01:07:18 AM »

I made a mistake with the word.  Instead of saying medically "Is there any bleeding?", they say "Are you having a bleeding event?"  Bleeding isn't the only thing they call an event medically....cramping, palpitations, whatever.  It's being used by medical professionals so I thought you may have run into it.  It annoys me no end.  I don't consider the letting of my blood or the seizing of my heart an "event", lol.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 04:25:46 PM by Shandy » Logged

bklynmike101

« Reply #164 on: August 17, 2017, 11:40:48 AM »

We also now have "rain events" and "sleep systems" instead of rain and beds. Progress!  Tongue
Shandy

Manhattan Lifer, Chelsea

« Reply #165 on: August 17, 2017, 04:28:05 PM »

Mike - It's taken over "rain", too"?  I'm responding with unliked phrases.  "Geeze Louise, doesn't that float your boat or rattle your cage?" Tongue

doctordoowop

« Reply #166 on: August 17, 2017, 09:23:29 PM »

Never  heard  it used  &  just  saw  a couple  pts with  bleeding  problems.   NEVER  saw any serious  problems or attacks  referred to as  events.

Let's ban  [mostly,not always]  "issue"

Shandy

Manhattan Lifer, Chelsea

« Reply #167 on: August 18, 2017, 12:15:58 AM »

"He's having anger issues."  No, the mf'er is just crazy, lol.

DJ Big Jack
Administrator

BOO !

« Reply #168 on: August 18, 2017, 07:57:24 AM »

TV Weather people are full of unusual expressions:

Wet conditions
frosty conditions
push of energy
Precipitation will stay in the liquid form
jacket weather
umbrella weather
sunscreen weather
air conditioner weather
wall to wall sunshine
Air you can wear
moisture vacuum
moisture magnet
spinning pocket of instability
meteorological hodgepodge
Doppler Garbage
and yes,  they use "Event" also ...  snow event, rain event, etc

Shandy

Manhattan Lifer, Chelsea

« Reply #169 on: August 18, 2017, 11:25:41 AM »

Jack - You are a veritable encyclopedia of weather terms.  Most ring a bell, but "Air you can wear." is new to me Smiley

bklynmike101

« Reply #170 on: August 18, 2017, 07:44:50 PM »

Here's another (usually) pointless expression favored by the talking heads and politicians on TV these days:

"The fact of the matter is"
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #171 on: August 19, 2017, 04:59:06 AM »

We also now have "rain events" and "sleep systems" instead of rain and beds. Progress!  Tongue
A bed is a "sleep system"Huh  I don't think I'd want to sleep on a bed that's THAT complicated.  It must be one of those multi-function hospital beds.  To me, a mattress atop a box spring is not a "system", even if its on a metal or wood frame with 4 legs.  And "rain" or "snow" is not an "event", unless it is coming down in record volumes, like when we used to have to trudge through 18 feet of snow to get to school (but skied instead).

DJ Big Jack
Administrator

BOO !

« Reply #172 on: August 19, 2017, 07:13:50 AM »

trudge through 18 feet of snow to get to school

Uphill both ways ?

Gino

« Reply #173 on: August 19, 2017, 10:41:42 AM »

trudge through 18 feet of snow to get to school

Uphill both ways ?

Against the wind??

"Grease for Peace!!"
Gino
Shandy

Manhattan Lifer, Chelsea

« Reply #174 on: August 19, 2017, 02:12:33 PM »

Robb - When there's lots of rain or snow it's a hurricane or a blizzard, which we don't think of here as an "event", lol.

Robb/Jack/Gino - And without shoes!

DJ Big Jack
Administrator

BOO !

« Reply #175 on: August 20, 2017, 07:43:32 AM »

BAREFOOT !

Shandy

Manhattan Lifer, Chelsea

« Reply #176 on: August 20, 2017, 10:54:45 AM »

Jack - You mean you had feet?  We were too poor for those Grin

DJ Big Jack
Administrator

BOO !

« Reply #177 on: August 20, 2017, 10:25:19 PM »

We had to share them !

Shandy

Manhattan Lifer, Chelsea

« Reply #178 on: August 20, 2017, 11:59:10 PM »

Grin Grin Grin

design

« Reply #179 on: August 21, 2017, 09:56:02 AM »

Here's what's happening...."in your neck of the woods".

DESIGN

I'm turning the camera….which way, I'm turning it. Let this guy try.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: