DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 18, 2017, 04:09:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
ATTENTION:
NO COMMERCIAL SITES OR LINKS TO COMMERCIAL SITES ALLOWED ON THIS FORUM. IF YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO SELL,
ie, CLOTHES, RECORDS, FURNTURE, ETC. DON'T DO IT HERE. THE URL WILL BE DELETED...  Mike Paladino
75434 Posts in 6954 Topics by 192 Members
Latest Member: doowopbob
* Home Help Login Register
+  DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
|-+  OT - OFF TOPIC TOPICS :-)
| |-+  Off Topic Stuff
| | |-+  Words,Expressions Can't Stand (recent vintage)--- Like to Ban Them
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Words,Expressions Can't Stand (recent vintage)--- Like to Ban Them  (Read 6585 times)
design

« Reply #180 on: September 26, 2017, 08:42:33 PM »

You're in a restaurant and the check is for e.g..$60.00. You give the waiter a $100.00 bill.... and he/she says "do you want change"?

Sometimes I feel like saying "oh no, you keep the $40.00...you fu*^%#g jerko%f.

DESIGN

I'm turning the camera….which way, I'm turning it. Let this guy try.
doctordoowop

« Reply #181 on: September 26, 2017, 10:51:42 PM »

Agree-but  that's  bad behavior +  bad  speech.
Shandy

Manhattan Lifer, Chelsea

« Reply #182 on: September 27, 2017, 12:20:35 AM »

design - YIKES!  That's never happened to me.  Was it a pretentious place like Scarpetta's?  I was corrected for saying "booth" instead of "banquette".  I told her her "I'll be sure to remember that when I leave the tip."  She got 10% instead of my 20-25%.

"The small man builds prisons for everyone he meets, but the wise woman ducks under the moon and tosses keys to the beautiful and rowdy prisoners."  Hafiz

"From childhood's hour I have not been as other were - have not seen as others saw - I could not drink(sic) my passions from a common stream.
design

« Reply #183 on: September 27, 2017, 10:09:27 AM »

design - YIKES!  That's never happened to me.  Was it a pretentious place like Scarpetta's?  I was corrected for saying "booth" instead of "banquette".  I told her her "I'll be sure to remember that when I leave the tip."  She got 10% instead of my 20-25%.
Good for you! Wink

DESIGN

design

« Reply #184 on: September 27, 2017, 10:12:26 AM »

Agree-but  that's  bad behavior +  bad  speech.
Awwww....that's too bad.

DESIGN

doctordoowop

« Reply #185 on: December 01, 2017, 11:13:24 PM »

At the  same time
JoeC

« Reply #186 on: December 02, 2017, 09:37:59 AM »

This one is already long out of use but I always found interesting. Ever notice in old films from the early 50s back, many sentences were started with the word "Say." The Three Stooges, Abbott & Costello come to mind but the practice was very widespread. As in "Say, ain't she a swell dame," or the like.
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #187 on: December 02, 2017, 12:51:47 PM »

This one is already long out of use but I always found interesting. Ever notice in old films from the early 50s back, many sentences were started with the word "Say." The Three Stooges, Abbott & Costello come to mind but the practice was very widespread. As in "Say, ain't she a swell dame," or the like.

That word was very common, and used that way all my life, in both Canadian and American English and also in Dutch and Frisian  They say "zeg!.... (Say!...... ) and pause, and then go on with their statement.  It's used to let someone know that you are coming up with an idea.  It is an exclamation of excitement showing that you are glad you are coming up with a brilliant idea, or you are very happy to bring the good news to your listeners, or you are glad that you are able to help those people with the information you are bringing to them.

doctordoowop

« Reply #188 on: December 02, 2017, 01:11:59 PM »

Like  in Cuba--every sentence starts with "Mira"--  means  look.
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #189 on: December 02, 2017, 02:06:48 PM »

Like  in Cuba--every sentence starts with "Mira"--  means  look.
And in The Arab countries, every sentence stars with "Esmah!"  "Listen! or "Listen here!"

bklynmike101

« Reply #190 on: December 02, 2017, 02:26:57 PM »

Many French start off with "Ecoutez" (= Listen), before getting into content. Alternatively, one often hears the expression "Beh" or Bah" at the beginning of sentences or thoughts (instead of "um" perhaps).

Meanwhile, back in the USA, talking heads are now fond of starting sentences with the non-sequitur "So".....
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #191 on: December 02, 2017, 02:55:19 PM »

Many French start off with "Ecoutez" (= Listen), before getting into content. Alternatively, one often hears the expression "Beh" or Bah" at the beginning of sentences or thoughts (instead of "um" perhaps).

Meanwhile, back in the USA, talking heads are now fond of starting sentences with the non-sequitur "So".....

Or "Valley Girls" starting off with "Like..........".

In Dutch, we use:   "Luister!" (Listen!) or Luister eens! (Listen once!).  In the eastern part of the country they say "Zeg mal!" (Say (one) time!) or "Say once!"

JoeC

« Reply #192 on: December 02, 2017, 04:26:07 PM »

Thanks for all the comments! Very informative.

I just read a book called "Manhattan Beach", set in/around the Brooklyn Navy Yard and in Manhattan Beach (next door to Brighton Beach) in the early 1940s. The author, trying to capture the dialogue of the day, had her characters speaking with the "Say" opening. Made me think of how common that used to be, judging from the films of that era and earlier. I think it more or less died out (at least in universal usage in the USA) by the late 50s.

Another guy I do recall using it often was Alan Freed, as in "Say kids ..."  Not surprising given his age.
doctordoowop

« Reply #193 on: December 02, 2017, 04:47:16 PM »

Like  has taken over  all US kids IMO.  They cant say a sentence without  "like"
doctordoowop

« Reply #194 on: December 07, 2017, 09:45:00 PM »

He reached out to  me.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: