DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 25, 2018, 03:16:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
ATTENTION:
NO COMMERCIAL SITES OR LINKS TO COMMERCIAL SITES ALLOWED ON THIS FORUM. IF YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO SELL,
ie, CLOTHES, RECORDS, FURNTURE, ETC. DON'T DO IT HERE. THE URL WILL BE DELETED...  Mike Paladino
77722 Posts in 7032 Topics by 192 Members
Latest Member: doowopbob
* Home Help Login Register
+  DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
|-+  OT - OFF TOPIC TOPICS :-)
| |-+  Off Topic Stuff
| | |-+  Interesting Movie Trivia
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Interesting Movie Trivia  (Read 1174 times)
43doowop

« on: April 14, 2017, 05:27:24 PM »

Actor played in the movie "Picnic " in 1955  and "Spider Man" in 2002. 
JoeShack

« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2017, 06:29:29 PM »

Cliff Robertson
43doowop

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2017, 07:21:24 AM »

correct
JoeC

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2018, 06:25:09 PM »

Couple bits I found interesting about the film, The Godfather:

- For this first Godfather film, Al Pacino, Diane Keaton and James Caan all made the same salary of $35,000; Robert Duvall made $36,000

- Brando's last demand to Coppola regarding accepting the role of Vito was that Burt Reynolds, then being considered for the role of Sonny Corleone, be dropped from consideration. (DeNiro also auditioned for "Sonny.")

- Mario Puzo did not speak Italian. If he had, he would have known that the Brando character would be addressed as Don Vito, not Don Corleone. The latter apparently has the connotation of "Uncle."
doctordoowop

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2018, 06:04:36 PM »

43-great ?   Think joe knows answer,  but what was only movie with  Connery & Wayne?

Monroe's  1st picture?

Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2018, 10:55:47 AM »

43-great ?   Think joe knows answer,  but what was only movie with  Connery & Wayne?

Monroe's  1st picture?

Was it "The Shocking Miss Pilgrim" in 1947?   If not, - I also saw a reference to her have a tiny part in a Film Noir movie in the mid 1940s (1945?) last night, while I was looking for 1940s Noir films to watch on YouTube.  But, unfortunately, I've forgotten the name of the film.  Or, it was rather a reference from the new Film Noir host of Turner Classic Movies, discussing a Noir film I just watched, last night, referring to Marilyn's first film work being a bit part in a 1945 film that would be the next noir film shown next Saturday, on their special Saturday showings?

doctordoowop

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2018, 11:15:53 PM »

Robb-real good.  Was on recent  TCM  noir--  "Asphalt Jungle.""  Sterling Hayden starred.  From NJ,  admitted he hated making movies-did it for $$ to travel. 

She was  in   a Marx bros movie in  48--Big Store ?- MM in a room  with Groucho were too much.  She complained of being followed, Julius  said he  had no idea  why. Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

But  Hayden did did resurface in God F  2.
dead dog

Looking for The Echo

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2018, 12:23:53 PM »

Robb-real good.  Was on recent  TCM  noir--  "Asphalt Jungle.""  Sterling Hayden starred.  From NJ,  admitted he hated making movies-did it for $$ to travel.

Yes, Sterling Hayden had another love....sailing. Believe was a very good yachtsman.

"Enjoy life to the fullest, as you never know when you will be asked to leave"
Shandy

Manhattan Lifer, Chelsea

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2018, 03:27:42 PM »

boatsmen have a saying 'the two best days of my life were when i bought the boat and when i sold it.  Very expensive pastime, especially in NYC.

"The small man builds prisons for everyone he meets, but the wise woman ducks under the moon and tosses keys to the beautiful and rowdy prisoners."  Hafiz

"Intelligence is a lot less powerful when everyone knows you have it."  Unknown
doctordoowop

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2018, 04:14:18 PM »

Rite-Shandy--same about  horse people. Grin Grin Grin
Gino

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2018, 06:04:43 PM »

Boats and horses - two luxuries only fools can afford.

"Grease for Peace!!"
Gino
Shandy

Manhattan Lifer, Chelsea

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2018, 08:16:07 PM »

Lou - RICH fools Smiley

"The small man builds prisons for everyone he meets, but the wise woman ducks under the moon and tosses keys to the beautiful and rowdy prisoners."  Hafiz

DJ Big Jack
Administrator

BOO !

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2018, 09:09:00 PM »

m bro-in-law said that his boat was a hole in the water that he poured money into

Shandy

Manhattan Lifer, Chelsea

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2018, 01:23:00 AM »

Jack - lol, money pit was another term I heard from them.

doctordoowop

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2018, 09:14:47 PM »

Just saw  a john Garfield  movie.  where i found this hard, but  interesting trivia.  His costar  played  both  Olivier's wif  and Yrs Later  Rodney dangerfield's mother in law

I  would  not have known the answer.

Any guesses?
doctordoowop

« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2018, 09:16:18 PM »

Which Garfield co-star played  Olivier's wife &  yrs later  Dangerfield's  Mother in law.
doctordoowop

« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2018, 11:52:46 PM »

Ans  to above --Geraldine Fitzgerald.

Amazing  coincidence--  A la  Valens--what  big  movie star -female  --in 1942  WON  a coin flip, took a plane rather than train, and  yes  died in a crash Cry Cry Cry Cry.
JoeC

« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2018, 08:27:58 AM »

Carole Lombard. Only mountain peak around Vegas that was tall enough for the plane to hit, they hit!

She went to Fairfax HS. Married to Gable, they bought a 9 br house on a 20 acre citrus ranch in Encino for $50,000. Neither was the Beverly Hills type. House was in hills above Ventura Blvd, off Hayvenhurst. In the middle of nowhere back in the 1930s. 
doctordoowop

« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2018, 10:57:26 PM »

Congrats Joe--i  am  reading about Gable now--  Her death literally  killed him.  I have become a Lombard  fan.  Was   selling WW  2 bonds  in Midwest--wanted to  get back  to LA  ASAP  bec  of Clark's philandering.   3  stops  from  midwest to LA  then.!!!!

As  an aside  the girls  loved him--despite his big ears  &   admittedly  being   a "lousy l-y." Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Lombard was into  numerology--& was told   that  her flight  would be unlucky--I know  zero  about that. Cry Cry Cry Cry
JoeC

« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2018, 07:36:19 AM »

Gable also wore dentures from an early age.

I read a book about the plane crash (Robert Matzen, "Fireball: Carole Lombard and the Mystery of Flight 3”). The mountainside was so remote and hard to get to that it literally took many days to get a recovery party up there.
doctordoowop

« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2018, 11:37:52 AM »

I  just ordered  the book  a couple  days ago--good?

Lombard--I know very little -- sounds like a wonderful  person.   No  problem  in making fun of Clark--" he needs another inch or 2" she  would say.
JoeC

« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2018, 01:03:09 PM »

I enjoyed the book, even if a little long. I mean, the author got every bit of ink out of what was a pilot-error plane crash, a really challenging recovery of bodies, and Gable's inconsolable grief/drinking at a motel on the outskirts of small town Vegas.
doctordoowop

« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2018, 08:42:29 PM »

Thanx  Joe. as a writer friend of mine  says--hard to  write a book or  do  a movie about about just an incident. 

Eastwood does movies about incidents--"Sully," and    "13:11  to Paris."
JoeC

« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2018, 06:48:23 AM »

I agree. It is challenging. The Lombard crash could make an interesting film though, as their was an air of mystery to the crash. How did the pilot get so "off course," etc? You could then do flashbacks to her life in Hollywood, the Gable bit, Russ Colombo, and how she got into movies.

I generally am intrigued by movies about old Hollywood. Did you see "Hollywoodland" with Ben Affleck/Adrien Brody, the one about Eddie Mannix (real life Ray Donovan studio "fixer" type) and the baffling death of George Reeves.
doctordoowop

« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2018, 01:30:43 AM »

Joe--wonder if  white  doo  wop  &   old  Hollywood go  together? Grin Grin Grin ;Di know lombard  moved to LA   from Indiana as a  teen.The  Russ  Columbo  story --died  age  26--crash  or OD. 

Never saw  Hollywoodland  [ now will]--but I know Brody.   Retired--now paints.  Mannix-know nothing.   Reeves--thot  was  suicide.  Cry Cry Cry Cry

I recently had  to go  to Bakersfield.  I asked a guy  into movies if  Dean  died on nearby Route  46.  He   said yes & even named  the  driver who killed him--Donald Turnupseed.[I know--- missspelled ]. No crime--accident.
JoeC

« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2018, 07:01:21 AM »

Think you'll enjoy the Reeves arc in Hollywoodland, as well as the film itself.

Dean took the Grapevine over the Tejon Pass to Bakersfield but the crash occurred near Paso Robles, well up the coast as you know -- good distance from Bakersfield. If you've ever seen one of those old Porsche Spyders in person, they were LOW. ground-hugging machines. Combine that with the twilight time of day, and speed -- bad combo.
doctordoowop

« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2018, 11:29:08 AM »

I know  the  99  hits  46--and goes  West  to Paso Robles.

Columbo--what happened?
JoeC

« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2018, 12:33:12 PM »

I know  the  99  hits  46--and goes  West  to Paso Robles.

Columbo--what happened?

One account, from The Independent: "But tragedy struck. On 2 September 1934, Columbo visited Lansing V Brown Jr, a photographer and friend. They talked, drank and played with Brown's collection of Civil War duelling pistols. Events remain unclear, but supposedly Brown struck a match on a loaded gun. A bullet ricocheted off the furniture and hit Columbo in the left eye. He was rushed to hospital, but surgery failed to save him. He was only 26.

In the best Hollyweird tradition, there's a final twist: days before Columbo's death, his nearly blind mother suffered a heart attack. Fearing for her life, the family decided not to tell her. A story about a long sailing tour was concocted, including weekly letters of comfort. The deception continued until 1944, when she died."

All accounts talk about the ricochet. That is unlucky, to say the least. Good voice, esp like "Prisoner of Love."
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 12:36:21 PM by JoeC » Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: