DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2019, 12:08:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
ATTENTION:
NO COMMERCIAL SITES OR LINKS TO COMMERCIAL SITES ALLOWED ON THIS FORUM. IF YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO SELL,
ie, CLOTHES, RECORDS, FURNTURE, ETC. DON'T DO IT HERE. THE URL WILL BE DELETED...  Mike Paladino
80590 Posts in 7208 Topics by 64 Members
Latest Member: doctordoowop
* Home Help Login Register
+  DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
|-+  OT - OFF TOPIC TOPICS :-)
| |-+  Off Topic Stuff
| | |-+  Baseball Trivia
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Baseball Trivia  (Read 48833 times)
doctordoowop

« Reply #270 on: May 03, 2018, 10:59:23 PM »

Dont forget  Willie  D's  terrible play   in CF.  Roosevelt  Hi BTW.
JoeC

« Reply #271 on: May 04, 2018, 08:50:53 AM »

Interesting too that F Robby won the Triple Crown in 1966 and Yaz (Bridgehampton HS) won it the very next year. Took another 45 years for Cabrera to get his!
doctordoowop

« Reply #272 on: May 04, 2018, 11:03:06 AM »

Yaz  302  BA  must have been lowest ever  for 3  Crown.

BTW,who did Cincy get for Robby? Pappas?
bklynmike101

« Reply #273 on: May 04, 2018, 12:13:19 PM »

Yup - Pappas and some non-entities. The epitome of a lopsided trade.
JoeC

« Reply #274 on: May 04, 2018, 12:58:21 PM »

O's probably threw in a bag of balls. Reds were not the first organization to tire of Frank. One of the greatest players of all time in my estimation but ... rubbed most people (bosses, peers and underlings) wrong. Personally, I liked his style when he was the Nats manager but, I was an exception in the fan base. Old school guy -- no music in the clubhouse, short with the beat writers, fined players, etc.

Seriously, Reds also got P Jack Baldschun and OF Dick Simpson. Baldschun went 1-5 with a high ERA in his two yrs with the Reds. Simpson was a deep bench guy in his two yrs with the Reds -- roughly got less than 90 AB a year and a .240 hitter. Pappas was 30-29 in three yrs with the Reds but had a couple real good years for the Cubs in the early 70s. Won 17 in one of those Wrigley years.
doctordoowop

« Reply #275 on: May 05, 2018, 11:07:13 PM »

Reminds  me  of  Lou Brock  for  Ernie  Broglio, and  Ryan   for  Fregosi.
JoeC

« Reply #276 on: March 01, 2019, 01:31:14 PM »

Read an article on one man's opinion of the 5 greatest ballplayers who grew up (through at least high school) in New York City. I'll provide their high school, you try for the name.

1. HS of Commerce (in Manhattan)
2. James Monroe (Bronx)
3. Aviation Tech (Manhattan) though lived in Queens
4. Lafayette HS (Brooklyn)
5. George Washington HS (Manhattan)

bklynmike101

« Reply #277 on: March 01, 2019, 07:15:21 PM »

2. Monroe: Ed Kranepool  Grin I know,not the answer you're looking for. Hank Greenberg
4. Lafayette: Sandy Koufax
JoeC

« Reply #278 on: March 01, 2019, 09:08:07 PM »

2. Monroe: Ed Kranepool  Grin I know,not the answer you're looking for. Hank Greenberg
4. Lafayette: Sandy Koufax
Both correct answers (Greenberg and Koufax). Didn't remember Kranepool was also from Monroe.

So many great city-grown ballplayers not in this top 5.

Like: Rocky Colavito and Ben Oglivie (Roosevelt), Bobby Bonilla (Lehman), Tommy Davis (Boys High), Frankie Frisch (Fordham Prep), Sid Gordon and Willie Randolph (Tilden), Waite Hoyt (Erasmus Hall), Eddie Lopat (DeWitt Clinton), Frank Malzone (Gompers), Rico Petrocelli (Sheepshead Bay), Manny Ramirez (George Washington), Phil Rizzuto (Richmond Hill), Bobby Thomson (Curtis), Joe Torre (St. Francis Prep), Eddie Yost (John Adams),Turk Lown (Brooklyn Tech), John Franco (Lafayette), John Candelaria (LaSalle Academy), and many more.
bklynmike101

« Reply #279 on: March 02, 2019, 12:38:07 PM »

Joe,

Great list. I was aware of a few but not most. My dad graduated Boys High, many decades before Tommy Davis.  Outside Erasmus, my friends and I had light bulbs thrown at our heads after attending a local movie. Ah, sweet memories..... 
JoeC

« Reply #280 on: March 02, 2019, 04:39:57 PM »

Let me throw out a clue for the three unidentified players. Mike correctly answered #2 and #4 (Greenberg and Koufax).

#1. When you think of a New York City born and raised position player in NYY pinstripes, who comes to mind?

#3. Another Yankee. This time a great pitcher. (AS much as I admired him, I might quibble with how high he is on this list but ... maybe not).

#5. 7x batting champion.

Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #281 on: March 02, 2019, 04:59:30 PM »

Let me throw out a clue for the three unidentified players. Mike correctly answered #2 and #4 (Greenberg and Koufax).

#1. When you think of a New York City born and raised position player in NYY pinstripes, who comes to mind?

#3. Another Yankee. This time a great pitcher. (AS much as I admired him, I might quibble with how high he is on this list but ... maybe not).

#5. 7x batting champion.
#5 - Rod Carew?

JoeC

« Reply #282 on: March 02, 2019, 05:40:37 PM »

Robb, that is correct. I always had thought of Rod as a Panamanian who came directly from Panama to the States to play ball. Apparently, he arrived in NYC just in time to start high school.
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #283 on: March 02, 2019, 06:58:24 PM »

Robb, that is correct. I always had thought of Rod as a Panamanian who came directly from Panama to the States to play ball. Apparently, he arrived in NYC just in time to start high school.
Not only that, but his parents had resided inside The Canal Zone, so they may have already been US citizens, or, at least eligible to immigrate to USA.

doctordoowop

« Reply #284 on: March 02, 2019, 09:04:36 PM »

3-Bob Grim

Tony gwynn
bklynmike101

« Reply #285 on: March 02, 2019, 10:19:46 PM »

3. Whitey Ford?
JoeC

« Reply #286 on: March 22, 2019, 12:52:11 PM »

Apologies to Mike for the long delay in getting back on #3. Whitey Ford is correct as the Queens resident who went to Aviation Tech in Manhattan.

So, that leaves only #1 left -- the #1 ranked greatest ballplayer to grow up in NYC. Attended the High School of Commerce in Manhattan. My first clue was -- When you think of a New York City born and raised position player in NYY pinstripes, who comes to mind?

Can't believe this one requires another clue but ... here it is: He attended a university (rare for ballplayers of his time). The University is also in NYC.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since it has been awhile, here's the original quiz and the "winners."

Read an article on one man's opinion of the 5 greatest ballplayers who grew up (through at least high school) in New York City. I'll provide their high school, you try for the name.

1. HS of Commerce (in Manhattan)
2. James Monroe (Bronx)    HANK GREENBERG  MIKE
3. Aviation Tech (Manhattan) though lived in Queens    WHITEY FORD  MIKE
4. Lafayette HS (Brooklyn)    SANDY KOUFAX  MIKE
5. George Washington HS (Manhattan)    ROD CAREW  ROBB

bklynmike101

« Reply #287 on: March 22, 2019, 06:36:44 PM »

At first I was thinking Frankie Frisch. I know he went to Fordham U. but have no idea what HS he went to. But upon a re-read I saw that I had overlooked your NYY hint. So not Frisch. So now I'm thinking Lou Gehrig who famously attended Columbia U. (I played 4-wall handball in the gym there once) even though I've no idea what HS Gehrig attended.   
JoeC

« Reply #288 on: March 22, 2019, 07:06:32 PM »

Yep, it was Lou Gehrig.

So, to recap, the Yankees website rated Gehrig, Greenberg, Ford, Koufax and Carew as the five greatest NYC-raised baseball players of all time. In that order!! Anyone quibble with that?

Back to Gehrig, he was born on E. 94th Street in Yorkville, the predominantly German-populated section of Manhattan. When he was 7, the family moved to an apartment on Amsterdam Avenue at W. 173rd Street in Washington Heights. He went to the High School of Commerce on the Upper West Side, which later became Louis Brandeis HS on W. 84th Street. Then, on to Columbia, where he dropped out to "earn a living" after his Sophomore year. Football and baseball standout at Columbia.

bklynmike101

« Reply #289 on: March 23, 2019, 01:57:54 PM »

Joe,

I'll quibble  Grin Just a little. I loved Ford, grew up with him. But I'd have to put Koufax on top of Ford as a pitcher, although Ford was a top hurler for a far longer period.
doctordoowop

« Reply #290 on: March 23, 2019, 03:03:11 PM »

I  recall  Frisch's  post game Giant show  on WPIX-Ch 11- recall Laraine Day--Leo's  wife--  I believe-- bizarrely doing pregame.
JoeC

« Reply #291 on: March 23, 2019, 04:19:49 PM »

Joe,

I'll quibble  Grin Just a little. I loved Ford, grew up with him. But I'd have to put Koufax on top of Ford as a pitcher, although Ford was a top hurler for a far longer period.

Mike, I agree on Sandy. I'm sure Ford edged him out due to longevity. Not at all to say Whitey wasn't a GREAT pitcher. Certainly, one of the greatest clutch pitchers of his generation. He never came up small in big games. At least, that's my recollection.

Doc, I do remember that Frankie Frisch post-game show on Channel 11. Didn't he also have a short-lived Saturday morning baseball show on WPIX that was aimed at kids? Vague in my memory but ...  .      Like Mel Ott and Carl Hubbell, died as a result of a car crash.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 04:38:53 PM by JoeC » Logged
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #292 on: March 23, 2019, 09:02:16 PM »

Joe,

I'll quibble  Grin Just a little. I loved Ford, grew up with him. But I'd have to put Koufax on top of Ford as a pitcher, although Ford was a top hurler for a far longer period.
After Koufax learned to control his curveball, he was the most Dominating pitcher I ever saw.

bklynmike101

« Reply #293 on: March 24, 2019, 12:26:06 AM »

Over his final 6-7 seasons, he was incomparable vis-a-vis any "modern day" (read post WWII) pitcher.  No one came close.
doctordoowop

« Reply #294 on: March 24, 2019, 03:19:13 PM »

Joe-not sure about  Sat AM show  .Anyone recall  Laraine day's show?

Reminds me of Gussie Moran -femaie tennis player  doing  a pregame radio show with Glickman--Yanks I think.

I liked Stan Lomax's   end of day sports report.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: