DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 22, 2018, 09:06:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
ATTENTION:
NO COMMERCIAL SITES OR LINKS TO COMMERCIAL SITES ALLOWED ON THIS FORUM. IF YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO SELL,
ie, CLOTHES, RECORDS, FURNTURE, ETC. DON'T DO IT HERE. THE URL WILL BE DELETED...  Mike Paladino
75880 Posts in 6968 Topics by 192 Members
Latest Member: doowopbob
* Home Help Login Register
+  DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
|-+  OT - OFF TOPIC TOPICS :-)
| |-+  Off Topic Stuff
| | |-+  Baseball Trivia
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Baseball Trivia  (Read 6448 times)
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #180 on: January 02, 2018, 10:46:09 AM »

Robb--agree  but  local  extreme accents like  Brooklyn  in 50s-60s   are long gone.
What surprised  me  & it still  exists--is that  Mex-Americans-born here--in ELA  often speak/spoke  English with a  distinct  accent.  Possibly because of being bi-lingual--but just because it was the  neighborhood --I wonder if that  exists in any other big  US cities.
It probably does in areas in big cities or regions populated mostly by people from one area (region) of another country, such as Little Italy in New York City(in the 1900s-1950s)(which was heavily influenced by Sicililian and Neopolitan (Southern dialects), or Polish neighbourhoods in Chicago, or Ukranian neighbourhoods in Winnipeg, or Nova Scotia (which was settled almost exclusively by Scots after The English Defeated The French in 1713, and the French settlers from there were forced out to Acadie (New Brunswick), and Newfoundland, which was originally settled by people from the southwest of England, after The English pushed The French out (to Quebec and Acadie) in 1713.  the Polish accent in The Polish neighbourhoods was a regional come from Poland, as the majority of The immigrant Poles there had migrated from Silesia.  The same for The Spanish speakers in Chicago's Indiana suburbs (East Chicago, Hammond and Gary) as most of them had come from Nexico's states of Zacatecas, Jalisco and Oaxaca.  So, they spoke a rural dialect of Central Mexico, which sounded different from The dialects of El Paso and San Antonio, which are heavily influenced by the speech of Chihuahua and Coahuila.

doctordoowop

« Reply #181 on: January 02, 2018, 11:31:51 AM »

Cheech is a good  example of  the accent.  Also--George Lopez a bit & Paul Rodriguez.  Its  not really a Spanish accent--just a style  of  speaking.  Cheech very good example. 

Joe-right-UCLA  will changeanyone's accent. Grin Grin Grin Grin
bklynmike101

« Reply #182 on: January 02, 2018, 12:19:15 PM »

After my then high school age son came back from a 3-4 week summer program at Cambridge, he startled us with his [brief] adoption of Britishism's like "quite".

In grad school, I was on a semester-long team project whose members (4) included an "older" guy who had been in the army, bounced around multiple undergraduate institutions to earn his degree, and was an African-American raised in the "ghetto" in D.C.  He spoke "ghetto" most of the time, but come our final presentation to a review panel of business executives, his diction, language, and sentence structure morphed into absolutely impeccable (and impressive) proper English.  I ended up asking him for the definitions of some of the words he had used.

He was a really good guy; went on to land a nice career in the federal government.   
JoeC

« Reply #183 on: January 02, 2018, 12:24:20 PM »

LOL at the UCLA ref!

Cheech, btw, was born in South Central but basically grew up in Granada Hills. Went to a Catholic HS in Mission Hills, then to San Fernando Valley State (now CSUN) for a few years. Fled to British Columbia to avoid Vietnam War draft. Only speaks a little Spanish. Dad was LAPD.
JoeC

« Reply #184 on: January 02, 2018, 12:26:49 PM »

After my then high school age son came back from a 3-4 week summer program at Cambridge, he startled us with his [brief] adoption of Britishism's like "quite".

In grad school, I was on a semester-long team project whose members (4) included an "older" guy who had been in the army, bounced around multiple undergraduate institutions to earn his degree, and was an African-American raised in the "ghetto" in D.C.  He spoke "ghetto" most of the time, but come our final presentation to a review panel of business executives, his diction, language, and sentence structure morphed into absolutely impeccable (and impressive) proper English.  I ended up asking him for the definitions of some of the words he had used.

He was a really good guy; went on to land a nice career in the federal government.   

My kids, as teenagers, were REALLY at that age where you don't want to be "different." So ... they pretty easily added/dropped stuff.
doctordoowop

« Reply #185 on: January 02, 2018, 10:40:53 PM »

Sure Joe--thats not how Cheech talks at home--but great imitation.

Remember  the great scene in airplane  when Mrs. Cleaver  (Billingsley) because she spoke "jive"  translated the blacks' food order to the stewardess?
JoeC

« Reply #186 on: January 03, 2018, 09:01:53 AM »

Sure Joe--thats not how Cheech talks at home--but great imitation.

Remember  the great scene in airplane  when Mrs. Cleaver  (Billingsley) because she spoke "jive"  translated the blacks' food order to the stewardess?

Hilarious. Love that type of humor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXSLcYQHqFQ

doctordoowop

« Reply #187 on: January 04, 2018, 12:07:16 AM »

Funnier now  37 yrslater.   Too PC  for that now-but great.
JoeC

« Reply #188 on: January 04, 2018, 09:55:37 AM »

Funnier now  37 yrslater.   Too PC  for that now-but great.

Both of those guys worked in scores of TV shows for years. Hill St Blues, NYPD Blue, the CSI series, Grey's Anatomy. No starring roles but hopefully made them a decent living.
doctordoowop

« Reply #189 on: January 04, 2018, 06:06:49 PM »

Dont recall  them. But  brilliant  casting with Mrs. Cleaver.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: