DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 18, 2018, 01:09:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
ATTENTION:
NO COMMERCIAL SITES OR LINKS TO COMMERCIAL SITES ALLOWED ON THIS FORUM. IF YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO SELL,
ie, CLOTHES, RECORDS, FURNTURE, ETC. DON'T DO IT HERE. THE URL WILL BE DELETED...  Mike Paladino
78238 Posts in 7059 Topics by 96 Members
Latest Member: doowopbob
* Home Help Login Register
+  DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
|-+  OT - OFF TOPIC TOPICS :-)
| |-+  Off Topic Stuff
| | |-+  Baseball Trivia
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Baseball Trivia  (Read 19708 times)
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #180 on: January 02, 2018, 10:46:09 AM »

Robb--agree  but  local  extreme accents like  Brooklyn  in 50s-60s   are long gone.
What surprised  me  & it still  exists--is that  Mex-Americans-born here--in ELA  often speak/spoke  English with a  distinct  accent.  Possibly because of being bi-lingual--but just because it was the  neighborhood --I wonder if that  exists in any other big  US cities.
It probably does in areas in big cities or regions populated mostly by people from one area (region) of another country, such as Little Italy in New York City(in the 1900s-1950s)(which was heavily influenced by Sicililian and Neopolitan (Southern dialects), or Polish neighbourhoods in Chicago, or Ukranian neighbourhoods in Winnipeg, or Nova Scotia (which was settled almost exclusively by Scots after The English Defeated The French in 1713, and the French settlers from there were forced out to Acadie (New Brunswick), and Newfoundland, which was originally settled by people from the southwest of England, after The English pushed The French out (to Quebec and Acadie) in 1713.  the Polish accent in The Polish neighbourhoods was a regional come from Poland, as the majority of The immigrant Poles there had migrated from Silesia.  The same for The Spanish speakers in Chicago's Indiana suburbs (East Chicago, Hammond and Gary) as most of them had come from Nexico's states of Zacatecas, Jalisco and Oaxaca.  So, they spoke a rural dialect of Central Mexico, which sounded different from The dialects of El Paso and San Antonio, which are heavily influenced by the speech of Chihuahua and Coahuila.

doctordoowop

« Reply #181 on: January 02, 2018, 11:31:51 AM »

Cheech is a good  example of  the accent.  Also--George Lopez a bit & Paul Rodriguez.  Its  not really a Spanish accent--just a style  of  speaking.  Cheech very good example. 

Joe-right-UCLA  will changeanyone's accent. Grin Grin Grin Grin
bklynmike101

« Reply #182 on: January 02, 2018, 12:19:15 PM »

After my then high school age son came back from a 3-4 week summer program at Cambridge, he startled us with his [brief] adoption of Britishism's like "quite".

In grad school, I was on a semester-long team project whose members (4) included an "older" guy who had been in the army, bounced around multiple undergraduate institutions to earn his degree, and was an African-American raised in the "ghetto" in D.C.  He spoke "ghetto" most of the time, but come our final presentation to a review panel of business executives, his diction, language, and sentence structure morphed into absolutely impeccable (and impressive) proper English.  I ended up asking him for the definitions of some of the words he had used.

He was a really good guy; went on to land a nice career in the federal government.   
JoeC

« Reply #183 on: January 02, 2018, 12:24:20 PM »

LOL at the UCLA ref!

Cheech, btw, was born in South Central but basically grew up in Granada Hills. Went to a Catholic HS in Mission Hills, then to San Fernando Valley State (now CSUN) for a few years. Fled to British Columbia to avoid Vietnam War draft. Only speaks a little Spanish. Dad was LAPD.
JoeC

« Reply #184 on: January 02, 2018, 12:26:49 PM »

After my then high school age son came back from a 3-4 week summer program at Cambridge, he startled us with his [brief] adoption of Britishism's like "quite".

In grad school, I was on a semester-long team project whose members (4) included an "older" guy who had been in the army, bounced around multiple undergraduate institutions to earn his degree, and was an African-American raised in the "ghetto" in D.C.  He spoke "ghetto" most of the time, but come our final presentation to a review panel of business executives, his diction, language, and sentence structure morphed into absolutely impeccable (and impressive) proper English.  I ended up asking him for the definitions of some of the words he had used.

He was a really good guy; went on to land a nice career in the federal government.   

My kids, as teenagers, were REALLY at that age where you don't want to be "different." So ... they pretty easily added/dropped stuff.
doctordoowop

« Reply #185 on: January 02, 2018, 10:40:53 PM »

Sure Joe--thats not how Cheech talks at home--but great imitation.

Remember  the great scene in airplane  when Mrs. Cleaver  (Billingsley) because she spoke "jive"  translated the blacks' food order to the stewardess?
JoeC

« Reply #186 on: January 03, 2018, 09:01:53 AM »

Sure Joe--thats not how Cheech talks at home--but great imitation.

Remember  the great scene in airplane  when Mrs. Cleaver  (Billingsley) because she spoke "jive"  translated the blacks' food order to the stewardess?

Hilarious. Love that type of humor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXSLcYQHqFQ

doctordoowop

« Reply #187 on: January 04, 2018, 12:07:16 AM »

Funnier now  37 yrslater.   Too PC  for that now-but great.
JoeC

« Reply #188 on: January 04, 2018, 09:55:37 AM »

Funnier now  37 yrslater.   Too PC  for that now-but great.

Both of those guys worked in scores of TV shows for years. Hill St Blues, NYPD Blue, the CSI series, Grey's Anatomy. No starring roles but hopefully made them a decent living.
doctordoowop

« Reply #189 on: January 04, 2018, 06:06:49 PM »

Dont recall  them. But  brilliant  casting with Mrs. Cleaver.
JoeC

« Reply #190 on: January 24, 2018, 02:51:30 PM »

How did Vladimir Guerrero NOT get in the HoF last year?? 5th highest BA among players with over 400 HRs.

Anyone wanna take a crack at the four players who hit for a higher average with 400+ HRs?  Clue: It's a damn impressive list!
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #191 on: January 24, 2018, 09:50:42 PM »

How did Vladimir Guerrero NOT get in the HoF last year?? 5th highest BA among players with over 400 HRs.

Anyone wanna take a crack at the four players who hit for a higher average with 400+ HRs?  Clue: It's a damn impressive list!
Ted Williams -.344, Stan Musial-.331, Babe Ruth .342, Lou Gherig .340

also Jimmy Foxx 534 HR, .325 higher than Guerrero's .318  That makes 5.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 09:55:31 PM by Robb_K » Logged

doctordoowop

« Reply #192 on: January 24, 2018, 10:40:30 PM »

I  disagree  with  Hoffman & Thome--DH  mostly. Ruth would have hit  900  w/DH.
JoeC

« Reply #193 on: January 25, 2018, 02:50:18 PM »

Anyone wanna take a crack at the four players who hit for a higher average with 400+ HRs?  Clue: It's a damn impressive list!
Ted Williams -.344, Stan Musial-.331, Babe Ruth .342, Lou Gherig .340

also Jimmy Foxx 534 HR, .325 higher than Guerrero's .318  That makes 5.

Right, as usual Robb. Still, to me his stats should have made Guerrero an automatic first round HoF selection. Guess he failed to do enough to impress the baseball writers. Oh yeah, he could also throw a baseball on a beeline to any base. One of the best OF arms of his generation.
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #194 on: January 26, 2018, 07:52:35 PM »

LOL at the UCLA ref!

Cheech, btw, was born in South Central but basically grew up in Granada Hills. Went to a Catholic HS in Mission Hills, then to San Fernando Valley State (now CSUN) for a few years. Fled to British Columbia to avoid Vietnam War draft. Only speaks a little Spanish. Dad was LAPD.
Where he met Tommy Chong!

JoeC

« Reply #195 on: January 26, 2018, 08:08:24 PM »

Chong's 79 now and battling his second form of cancer. Both he and his actress daughter, Rae Dawn, became naturalized US citizens.
doowopbob

« Reply #196 on: January 27, 2018, 02:46:24 AM »

Speaking of picking up a cultural accent - my son and his buddies started using black slang in the early 90's.  He eventually went to Washington State University in Pullman, WA in the area they call the Palouse - WELL - he was talking his Seattle based jive and one of the big WSU lineman put him up against a wall and said "you're on the Palouse now, you're white, talk white".  Lesson learned for my son.  He actually realized that not only did he sound silly but he was also insulting the blacks.

I was guilty of the same thing in HS, we all wanted to sound like Chicanos - dumb us.

Silence is golden
JoeC

« Reply #197 on: January 27, 2018, 09:19:01 AM »

Anyone know why they call that area of Eastern Washington state the Palouse? First time I ever heard the term was when the recently-deceased broadcaster Keith Jackson used the term (he went to WSU). Always wondered.
doowopbob

« Reply #198 on: January 27, 2018, 03:29:06 PM »

Horse country, name started many moons ago, at least that's the explanation we were given when we went for orientation with our son.

Silence is golden
JoeC

« Reply #199 on: January 27, 2018, 04:32:06 PM »

Maybe a Native American name? Wonder if it only refers to the general Spokane-Pullman geographical area or if it extends into Idaho as well?
doowopbob

« Reply #200 on: January 27, 2018, 04:56:10 PM »

JoeC I do not have an answer for that, I'll ask my son the next time he calls.

Silence is golden
doctordoowop

« Reply #201 on: January 27, 2018, 05:46:52 PM »

P  in palouse  from Pullman, somehow?
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #202 on: January 28, 2018, 01:07:01 AM »

Maybe a Native American name? Wonder if it only refers to the general Spokane-Pullman geographical area or if it extends into Idaho as well?
The French trappers named it.  "Pelouse" means: flat land with short grass.  "Peleuse" means "peeled".

JoeC

« Reply #203 on: January 28, 2018, 09:28:38 AM »

The French trappers named it.  "Pelouse" means: flat land with short grass.  "Peleuse" means "peeled".

Thanks, Robb, for the explanation.

Always wondered how "son of a Georgia dirt farmer" Keith Jackson ended up at Washington State. Turns out that was due to his Marine Corps service on the West Coast and the GI Bill. He started calling WSU sports after graduating, and from there went to KOMO in Seattle, and on to the national network jobs.
doowopbob

« Reply #204 on: January 28, 2018, 10:47:13 PM »

Thanks Robb, I doubt my WSU grad son even knows that.

Keith was well thought of here in Seattle.  A true gentleman on and off the air.

Silence is golden
doctordoowop

« Reply #205 on: January 29, 2018, 01:53:38 PM »

I liked him better  than Gifford on Mon nite football.   They didn't need another jock.
JoeC

« Reply #206 on: January 29, 2018, 02:24:38 PM »

I liked him better  than Gifford on Mon nite football.   They didn't need another jock.

Lived (and died) in Sherman Oaks, per the LA Times.
doctordoowop

« Reply #207 on: January 29, 2018, 06:20:00 PM »

Used to be the man on TV--NBA, MLB  & Mon nite.  WOW--anything else?  Besides NCAA?
JoeC

« Reply #208 on: January 29, 2018, 06:49:58 PM »

Used to be the man on TV--NBA, MLB  & Mon nite.  WOW--anything else?  Besides NCAA?

The Olympics, and some NASCAR. I think maybe even boxing.
doctordoowop

« Reply #209 on: February 11, 2018, 10:25:37 PM »

RIP Wally  Moon. Cry Cry Cry
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: