DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 14, 2018, 12:28:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
ATTENTION:
NO COMMERCIAL SITES OR LINKS TO COMMERCIAL SITES ALLOWED ON THIS FORUM. IF YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO SELL,
ie, CLOTHES, RECORDS, FURNTURE, ETC. DON'T DO IT HERE. THE URL WILL BE DELETED...  Mike Paladino
79014 Posts in 7095 Topics by 95 Members
Latest Member: doctordoowop
* Home Help Login Register
+  DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
|-+  OT - OFF TOPIC TOPICS :-)
| |-+  Off Topic Stuff
| | |-+  Baseball Trivia
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Baseball Trivia  (Read 25393 times)
JoeC

« Reply #210 on: February 11, 2018, 10:35:25 PM »

RIP Wally  Moon. Cry Cry Cry

Know he's famous for his "Moon Shots" in the LA Coliseum for the Dodgers but I always think of him as a St. Louis Cardinal, with those red birds sitting on a bat on his Away uniform gray shirt.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 09:04:01 AM by JoeC » Logged
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #211 on: February 11, 2018, 11:07:05 PM »

RIP Wally  Moon. Cry Cry Cry
1954 NL Rookie of the year.  Great hitter.  Sorry to hear, but all the players from that era are already gone, or will be over the next 10-15 years.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 01:47:18 AM by Robb_K » Logged

bklynmike101

« Reply #212 on: February 12, 2018, 01:31:26 AM »

Not to nit pick because it's obviously just a typo (and I can't type for tyrin') but Wally was ROY in '54 (not '64) just to set the record straight. 87 years young when he passed.
doctordoowop

« Reply #213 on: February 12, 2018, 01:59:58 AM »

I recall  that  Cards   had 3  consecutive great rookie  Outfielders-Jackie Brandt,  Moon &  Virdon.  All  traded  away.

Joe isn't  the home  uniform the same--just white?  Topps  took pix in NYC--so  most National  Leaguers were in Ebbets, a few in Polo.  & ALL Americn lleaguers were in YAnkee  St.
JoeC

« Reply #214 on: February 12, 2018, 09:07:13 AM »

Doc, I'm sure that's right and I'm also sure so many visual memories of mine are dictated by the old baseball cards. You're dead right (I was thinking of Moon in the 1955 Bowman TV set series with the Away grays on). Thinking right now of Red Schoendienst in that same 1955 away uni. if I had a favorite Cardinal, it was Red. I was always partial to 2B -- Nellie Fox, Red, Johnny Temple, Maz ...

Think Bobby Del Greco, another rookie coming up in the era, was the reason why at least one of those guys was traded. And he never really panned out.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 09:13:59 AM by JoeC » Logged
bklynmike101

« Reply #215 on: February 12, 2018, 12:31:31 PM »

Unusual for the timeframe - Wally apparently had a bachelor's degree in education and pursued (or intended to) a master's. Spent most of his post-MLB career as a college baseball coach. Seemed like a very even-keeled and likable guy.
JoeC

« Reply #216 on: February 12, 2018, 01:32:08 PM »

Unusual for the timeframe - Wally apparently had a bachelor's degree in education and pursued (or intended to) a master's. Spent most of his post-MLB career as a college baseball coach. Seemed like a very even-keeled and likable guy.

Interesting point, Mike. Made me wonder what percentage of ball players, even now, have a college degree. Here's an excerpt from a 2012 Fox Sports article on the subject.

"As of mid-May 2012, 917 players had appeared in at least one big-league game this season, according to STATS LLC. Of that group, only 39 — or 4.3 percent — were confirmed by their teams of MLB as having obtained four-year college degrees through a FOXSports.com survey of clubs.

In that context, Curtis Granderson’s degree in business management and business marketing is about as impressive as the MVP-caliber numbers he posted for the New York Yankees last year.

The Diamondbacks lead the majors with seven college graduates: JJ Putz, Willie Bloomquist (Arizona State), Craig Breslow (Yale), John McDonald (Providence), Takashi Saito (Tohoku Fukushi University in Japan), Mike Zagurski (Kansas) and Brad Ziegler (Southwest Missouri State). The Houston Astros and Tampa Bay Rays are tied for second with four graduates apiece on their 40-man rosters."

And no, Lou Gehrig left Columbia after just two years there. And brainy author, Jim Brosnan, apparently never set foot on a college campus.
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #217 on: February 12, 2018, 08:43:35 PM »

Interesting point, Mike. Made me wonder what percentage of ball players, even now, have a college degree. Here's an excerpt from a 2012 Fox Sports article on the subject.

"As of mid-May 2012, 917 players had appeared in at least one big-league game this season, according to STATS LLC. Of that group, only 39 — or 4.3 percent — were confirmed by their teams of MLB as having obtained four-year college degrees through a FOXSports.com survey of clubs.

The Diamondbacks lead the majors with seven college graduates: JJ Putz, Willie Bloomquist (Arizona State), Craig Breslow (Yale), John McDonald (Providence), Takashi Saito (Tohoku Fukushi University in Japan), Mike Zagurski (Kansas) and Brad Ziegler (Southwest Missouri State).

JJ Putz?Huh  What a great name.  Sounds like the terrible names given to Jews when family names were doled out by the East European governments, to raise money from those Jews having to pay lots of money to get a "better sounding name".  Grin

bklynmike101

« Reply #218 on: February 13, 2018, 01:14:38 AM »

In that context, Curtis Granderson’s degree in business management and business marketing is about as impressive as the MVP-caliber numbers he posted for the New York Yankees last year.

The Diamondbacks lead the majors with seven college graduates: JJ Putz, Willie Bloomquist (Arizona State), Craig Breslow (Yale), John McDonald (Providence), Takashi Saito (Tohoku Fukushi University in Japan), Mike Zagurski (Kansas) and Brad Ziegler (Southwest Missouri State). The Houston Astros and Tampa Bay Rays are tied for second with four graduates apiece on their 40-man rosters."

And no, Lou Gehrig left Columbia after just two years there. And brainy author, Jim Brosnan, apparently never set foot on a college campus.

Don Slaught, former catcher, is a graduate of UCLA with a degree in economics, having returned to complete his degree while playing pro ball.
doctordoowop

« Reply #219 on: February 13, 2018, 02:04:51 AM »

Don't forget Doc  Medich &  Bobby Brown.

Yogi was sitting  next to  Brown on a train.  Brown was reading  Gray's Anatomy.Yogi a comic book. Yogi said  to  Brown,"  Mine turned out good,how about yours?"
JoeC

« Reply #220 on: February 13, 2018, 09:50:57 AM »

Don't forget Doc  Medich &  Bobby Brown.

Yogi was sitting  next to  Brown on a train.  Brown was reading  Gray's Anatomy.Yogi a comic book. Yogi said  to  Brown,"  Mine turned out good,how about yours?"

Doug Glanville got his BA from an Ivy League school, the University of Pennsylvania.

Branch Rickey had a brief MLB career as a catcher for the Browns in the 1905 time frame. Graduate of Ohio Wesleyan University.

Hank Greenberg and Eddie Yost both went to NYU, but only for one year before signing.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 09:56:25 AM by JoeC » Logged
bklynmike101

« Reply #221 on: February 13, 2018, 12:04:09 PM »

Ron Taylor, Mets relief pitcher, became a doctor, including time as team doctor for the Bluejays! Tom House, also a relief hurler, obtained bachelors and masters from USC, followed by a doctorate in sports psychology. That brings me back to Slaught, as both he and House have had post-baseball careers involving the application of technology and scientific principles toward coaching and perforance improvement in baseball. Ron Darling attended Yale, and I believe eventually completed his degree (elsewhere?)
doctordoowop

« Reply #222 on: February 13, 2018, 01:34:51 PM »

USC  could  field a whole team--Seaver, McGwire, Johnson etc.

UCLA-Karros, Utley.& many more too.
JoeC

« Reply #223 on: February 13, 2018, 02:08:47 PM »

Nobody tops Arizona State -- Reggie Jackson, Barry Bonds, Rick Monday, Sal and Chris Bando, Dustin Pedroia, Bob Horner, Andre Ethier, Paul LoDuca, Gary Gentry, Lenny Randle, Mike Devereaux, Oddibe McDowell, Ken Landreaux, the Bannisters, Hubie Brooks, Larry Gura, Ken Phelps, Marty Barrett, Pat Listach, the Romines, Ian Kinsler, Mike Leake, Jason Kipnis, Bump Wills, and about 30 other big leaguers.
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #224 on: February 13, 2018, 02:11:12 PM »

Don't forget Doc  Medich &  Bobby Brown.

Yogi was sitting  next to  Brown on a train.  Brown was reading  Gray's Anatomy.Yogi a comic book. Yogi said  to  Brown,"  Mine turned out good,how about yours?"

Doug Glanville got his BA from an Ivy League school, the University of Pennsylvania.

Branch Rickey had a brief MLB career as a catcher for the Browns in the 1905 time frame. Graduate of Ohio Wesleyan University.

Hank Greenberg and Eddie Yost both went to NYU, but only for one year before signing.

Branch Rickey played 3 years for The Browns and 1 year for The Yankees.

doctordoowop

« Reply #225 on: March 18, 2018, 05:32:44 PM »

Joe -- and any who  know NYC fans--  Ohtani  chose Angels wisely--hitting & pitching  very badly. 

The NY press   & Russo type guys would have caused a   nervous breakdown a la Ed  Whitson.
doowopbob
« Reply #226 on: March 18, 2018, 06:44:01 PM »

Cal State Fullerton has turned out a few good players over the years.
JoeC

« Reply #227 on: March 18, 2018, 07:06:58 PM »

Cal State Fullerton has turned out a few good players over the years.

Yes they have. Great program! Tim Wallach from Huntington Beach comes to my mind first.
doowopbob
« Reply #228 on: March 18, 2018, 08:25:13 PM »

Long Beach State gave us Jared Weaver and Jason Vargas, among others.

MLB Union Chief Tony Clark played at CS Fullerton I think.
JoeC

« Reply #229 on: March 18, 2018, 08:33:20 PM »

Long Beach State gave us Jared Weaver and Jason Vargas, among others.

MLB Union Chief Tony Clark played at CS Fullerton I think.

There was a stretch there where CS-F seemed to be in the College World Series every year. So, I imagine the list of major league players is a long one. Don't know about Tony but am pretty sure Phil Nevin went there (best years with the Padres).
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #230 on: March 18, 2018, 10:23:25 PM »

Doc, I'm sure that's right and I'm also sure so many visual memories of mine are dictated by the old baseball cards. You're dead right (I was thinking of Moon in the 1955 Bowman TV set series with the Away grays on). Thinking right now of Red Schoendienst in that same 1955 away uni. if I had a favorite Cardinal, it was Red. I was always partial to 2B -- Nellie Fox, Red, Johnny Temple, Maz ...

Think Bobby Del Greco, another rookie coming up in the era, was the reason why at least one of those guys was traded. And he never really panned out.
Bobby Del Greco was a bonus baby who flopped.  At least Bill Virdon was a great fielder, who hit decently enough to be a serviceable regular ML outfielder for a solid long career.

doctordoowop

« Reply #231 on: March 18, 2018, 11:38:27 PM »

Nevin--steroid boy-- did.
JoeC

« Reply #232 on: March 19, 2018, 08:37:18 AM »

Bobby Del Greco was a bonus baby who flopped.  At least Bill Virdon was a great fielder, who hit decently enough to be a serviceable regular ML outfielder for a solid long career.

Del Greco had a lot of speed and a very good defender (like Virdon). Batted leadoff for Cards after they got him from Pirates. Just couldn't hit.
bklynmike101

« Reply #233 on: March 19, 2018, 10:49:01 AM »

Del Greco had a lot of speed and a very good defender (like Virdon). Batted leadoff for Cards after they got him from Pirates. Just couldn't hit.

Yeah, Bobby Del Greco was no Bobby Gene Smith  Roll Eyes
doctordoowop

« Reply #234 on: April 07, 2018, 09:08:22 PM »

Joe--can u lend me a few bucks.?   Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Trying to  get $3.5   million together  for  a Mantle 1952 rookie  card.   In an upcoming auction.

RIP--Jack Hamilton--famous for"killing"   Tony Conigliaro  in 1967.  Tony never really recovered & died  very prematurely.  Iknow he had a good yr  AFTER the beaning-don't know  how.
bklynmike101

« Reply #235 on: April 08, 2018, 11:29:05 AM »

Jack Hamilton aka 'Hairbreadth Harry' aka 'Fat Jack'
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #236 on: April 08, 2018, 02:14:51 PM »

Joe--can u lend me a few bucks.?   Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Trying to  get $3.5   million together  for  a Mantle 1952 rookie  card.   In an upcoming auction.

I had that card, and the entire set (most of them inherited from older cousins in Chicago).  But, when I was 14, I thought I had grown up, so I gave all my sports cards to younger cousins.  They flipped them and destroyed them.  Mine wouldn't have been mint, anyway.  So, it probably would only be worth a few thousand dollars now (which wouldn't change my life-so I wouldn't consider selling it, iF I did have it).  I WOULD sell it for $3.5 million IF I had a mint copy today.  Even that money wouldn't change my life (it would just give me a little more security, and a little better feeling).  I'd still have to be careful with my money.  I inherited most of the US Topps and Bowman baseball cards from 1946-1952 from older cousins (with whom I lived after moving to Chicago), plus all those cards I was missing from 1953-1961, when buying them when we spent summers in Chicago.  So, I had just about all the complete sets of early Bowmans, and ALL Topps from 1946-1960 in 1961.  I also had some stray football and basketball cards (which I had inherited), plus all my Canadian and US hockey cards from the beginning of the 1950s through the early 1960s.

JoeC

« Reply #237 on: April 09, 2018, 07:19:38 AM »

That $3.5M Mantle must be from an unopened pack (of which I didn't think there were any more). And, since the slicers they used to cut the cards from a sheet of cards did not do a uniform job with the card "borders", the card must've been a lucky one that got cut evenly. Even with all that, the price seems WAY high.
JoeC

« Reply #238 on: April 09, 2018, 10:49:37 AM »

Giancarlo Stanton struck out 16x last week. Joe DiMaggio struck out 13x all year in 1941.
bklynmike101

« Reply #239 on: April 09, 2018, 11:26:57 AM »

The $3.5M price is only the auctioneer's "expected" price. A recent Jackie Robinson item ('47 uniform?) that was "expected" top fetch app. $4M ended up going for something like $2.3M.

Wonder how much my "original" 1958 Topps Ed Bouchee would bring?  Grin
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: