DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 17, 2017, 11:23:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
ATTENTION:
NO COMMERCIAL SITES OR LINKS TO COMMERCIAL SITES ALLOWED ON THIS FORUM. IF YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO SELL,
ie, CLOTHES, RECORDS, FURNTURE, ETC. DON'T DO IT HERE. THE URL WILL BE DELETED...  Mike Paladino
75103 Posts in 6940 Topics by 192 Members
Latest Member: doowopbob
* Home Help Login Register
+  DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
|-+  OT - OFF TOPIC TOPICS :-)
| |-+  Off Topic Stuff
| | |-+  June Foray Passes at 99
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: June Foray Passes at 99  (Read 483 times)
Shandy

Manhattan Lifer, Chelsea

« on: July 27, 2017, 09:26:49 PM »

The name might not ring a bell but we grew up hearing her voices....Rocky the Flying Squirrel, Natasha, Tweety Bird's Owner, many voices for Stan Freeberg records.  Fascinating woman.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/june-foray-voice-of-rocky-the-flying-squirrel-dead-at-99/

"The small man builds prisons for everyone he meets, but the wise woman ducks under the moon and tosses keys to the beautiful and rowdy prisoners."  Hafiz

"From childhood's hour I have not been as other were - have not seen as others saw - I could not drink(sic) my passions from a common stream.
JoeC

« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2017, 07:21:47 AM »

Stan Freberg, a mortal enemy of "our music." Don't know who was worse in his nasty attacks on some great music/performers, Mich Miller or Freberg.

As Scaramucci (or whatever his name is) said yesterday, "New Yorkers can hold grudges forever."

RIP June.
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2017, 08:53:57 AM »

Her funny voices were one of the main reasons I liked Jay Ward's and Bill Scott's cartoons on Rocky & Bullwinkle, Fractured Fairy Tales, Mr. Peabody, and Dudley Do-Right of The Mounties, that allowed me to enjoy them when they were first shown, even though I was already practically an adult.  She had a repetoire of hundreds of characters with different qualities covering all the different emotions and character types.  For many years, she did most of the female voices for The Warner Brothers' cartoon shorts.  She was the female counterpart to Mel Blanc.  She even did a fair amount of work for Disney.

Gino

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2017, 09:23:42 AM »

A collection of voices that will be sorely missed.

"He breathed fire on me, already." - from St George and teh Dragonet.

"Grease for Peace!!"
Gino
Shandy

Manhattan Lifer, Chelsea

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2017, 03:33:32 PM »

Wayne Stierle met her when he was a little boy on Juvenile Jury.  She mesmerized him by doing one voice after another.  He said she was very sweet and it was obvious that she loved what she did.

"The small man builds prisons for everyone he meets, but the wise woman ducks under the moon and tosses keys to the beautiful and rowdy prisoners."  Hafiz

"From childhood's hour I have not been as other were - have not seen as others saw - I could not drink(sic) my passions from a common stream.
JoeC

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2017, 04:10:44 PM »

Natasha was great.
doctordoowop

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2017, 05:47:44 PM »

Steve Allen hated it too.   Made fun of be Bop A  Lula  and U send me by reading the lyrics--stupidly.

Then he had the  Baybops  on--  made them wear diapers in a baby carriage--while they sang  Joanie  or Go to  the Party  for about 30 seconds.   But only old  video  of them I've seen.
JoeC

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2017, 07:02:07 PM »

Steve Allen hated it too.   Made fun of be Bop A  Lula  and U send me by reading the lyrics--stupidly.

Then he had the  Baybops  on--  made them wear diapers in a baby carriage--while they sang  Joanie  or Go to  the Party  for about 30 seconds.   But only old  video  of them I've seen.

There's a long list of people from our parents' generation that went FAR out of their way to make fun of/denigrate the music we favored. Freburg and Miller were two of the worst but you're right to add Steve Allen. Others that come to mind were David Susskind and Frank Sinatra.
doctordoowop

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2017, 08:16:16 PM »

Frank's  hatred [and  fear of rock] are well  known.  I recall  Spector  on  Susskinds show--61-62.    He said to Phil  [with Crystals in background]--"I  hate it but i hope u make your  million." Phil  answered  sarcastically  ,"i already did."  That shut him up.

Give  Ed  credit  for having 5 Keys &  Bo on in 55,    Como  for having Larks and  Coasters on, and Laine for Teenagers.  All  live..
JoeC

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2017, 08:23:27 PM »

Ed deserves a good bit of credit. Although he was reticent to put Presley on, once he saw how that boosted ratings, he was on board. That Dr. Jive-hosted "show within a show" was really special.

Many of the more minor performers' beef with Ed was that, if the show was running late, they either got squeezed out altogether or only got to do 30-45 seconds while the end credits rolled. That happened a lot in the 60s.
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2017, 06:26:08 AM »

I remember that!  I thought it was funny, and didn't even blame Steve for making fun of them like that.  I actually liked Steve Allen a lot.  I actually thought he was a decent piano player (The Gravy Waltz), and liked his comedy sketches (The Man on The Street) with Louie Nye, Tom Poston, Dayton Allen, et al.   As a youngster, I wasn't thinking about his skepticism about "Rock & Roll" or his embarrassing professional singers.  I was happy to get some music I liked on the air.  We only got hokey C&W shows in Winnipeg.  And when visiting family in Chicago, I was glad to see the little bit of R&B or R&R on TV.  Ed Sullivan ("the man of stone") always made me laugh a lot.  We have a really big shew.... Annow,.......  right here on our stage, we have Kate Smith flagelating Topo Giggio with Seenor Weencess looking on, drooling.... Let's have a big hand for them....

Shandy

Manhattan Lifer, Chelsea

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2017, 07:23:26 AM »

When Sullivan had a screaming female audience, he'd refer to them as "My little chickadees.".  I think he thought that was hep/hip, lol.

Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2017, 07:36:59 AM »

When Sullivan had a screaming female audience, he'd refer to them as "My little chickadees.".  I think he thought that was hep/hip, lol.
Then, Old Stoneface can't have been ALL bad!  He was a fan of a guy who hated children and, most importantly, PHILADELPHIA!   Grin Grin Grin

JoeC

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2017, 08:43:00 AM »

Doctor mentioned the Bay Bops. I was agnostic about the group and their records. Didn't like or hate them. But ... in more than one venue where their name/songs came up in a discussion, the vitriol toward them was strongly expressed. Anyone else have that feeling themselves, or have the same experience?
bklynmike101

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2017, 08:43:19 AM »

Then, Old Stoneface can't have been ALL bad!  He was a fan of a guy who hated children and, most importantly, PHILADELPHIA!   Grin Grin Grin
Loved the W.C. reference. He was one of a kind. Loved his work and public/private personna (sp?) The alternative version (not printable) of his memorable "death-bed" "On The Other Hand, I'd Rather Be In Philadelphia" line tickled the fancy of this 16-17 year old when I first "discovered" him.

(I'm do believe I've exceeded my quota of quotes.)  
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2017, 09:43:27 AM »

Doctor mentioned the Bay Bops. I was agnostic about the group and their records. Didn't like or hate them. But ... in more than one venue where their name/songs came up in a discussion, the vitriol toward them was strongly expressed. Anyone else have that feeling themselves, or have the same experience?

I was lukewarm about The Bay Bops.  They were not bad, but a bit "too White-sounding" for me.  But, "Joanie" and "My Darling, My Sweet" are pretty decent, and the previously unreleased demo, "Secret" was not too bad.  I bought "Joanie" on Coral for 5 cents.  Had it cost $1, or, perhaps even full new price of 69 cents, I might never have bought it (till finding it for a dime in a Walgreen's sale)  Cheesy.

I think it's VERY funny that I've hijacked 2 ON TOPIC threads on the Music Forum with a monstrous political harangue, and we've made this Off-Topic thread into a VGH thread!  The World is NUTS!
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 06:42:55 PM by Robb_K » Logged

JoeC

« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2017, 11:41:46 AM »

Robb, I wouldn't worry about it. It's not as if either board is inundated with posts. As I believe the Doctor said in a thread somewhere in the past when the subject of "hijacking" came up, something like "It's how people talk."
Shandy

Manhattan Lifer, Chelsea

« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2017, 02:08:39 PM »

Robb - You've heard monstrous political harangues before, and you were no where near.  You served tea and crumpets by comparison Grin

doctordoowop

« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2017, 03:55:25 PM »

JoeC--yes I did. good  memory.

The  Baybops hated each other-hence  just 2-3 records.   The  biggest Baybop lover is Bob Diskin- "white groups only"   He arranged for all 4 original Bops to appear at Costellos   infamous  2008  Burlington show.

All my knowledge about them comes from  Diskin.
JoeC

« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2017, 04:20:19 PM »

I once (25 yrs ago) sent in to a local deejay in Northern Va a list of maybe a dozen doowop songs that I hadn't heard in awhile (back when it wasn't so easy to hear the stuff via at least an mp3). 'Joanie' by the Bay Bops was on the list. Others were songs by the Caprisians, Satintones, Hitmakers, and the like. He played them all, except for the Bay Bops, dismissing them out of hand.

I'd experienced similar reactions about the group, before and since. Only thing I can think of was they used more rock instrumentation than most other groups of their day. Sorta like an earlier version of the Long Island group The Bell Notes (I've Had It, Old Spanish Town, etc) who the Doowopp Blog considers doowop but I expect many here would not.
doctordoowop

« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2017, 04:38:40 PM »

Diskin had a couple of their  acapella  demos--actually  quite good.  Go to  the Party  may have set a record in mentions of other songs. 30-40?
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: