DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 17, 2017, 11:21:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
ATTENTION:
NO COMMERCIAL SITES OR LINKS TO COMMERCIAL SITES ALLOWED ON THIS FORUM. IF YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO SELL,
ie, CLOTHES, RECORDS, FURNTURE, ETC. DON'T DO IT HERE. THE URL WILL BE DELETED...  Mike Paladino
75103 Posts in 6940 Topics by 192 Members
Latest Member: doowopbob
* Home Help Login Register
+  DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
|-+  OT - OFF TOPIC TOPICS :-)
| |-+  Off Topic Stuff
| | |-+  History Tidbits
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: History Tidbits  (Read 936 times)
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2017, 08:39:14 AM »

Met him  once.  A  fellow  doctor  along  with our  mutual late friend  Dave Antrell,  and  a friends of  Jeff Stolper.
Bob was a great guy.  generous in sharing information, label scans, music tapes, etc.   I knew all 3 of those guys.  Also Bob Campbell, another big Chicago collector.  And Bob Pruter, as well (The 3 Chicago Bobs!)  Cheesy  I used the nickname "Bob" in high school.  So, we had The 4 Chicago Bobs.   Grin  We could have had a VGH group if we could sing better.   Cheesy

doctordoowop

« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2017, 01:50:37 PM »

Knew  Antrell and Stolper ?  Wow.   Hear Jeff  is in  Wash.  Dave-RIP  drugs. 
doctordoowop

« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2017, 01:52:05 PM »

Knew  Antrell and Stolper ?  Wow.   Hear Jeff  is in  Wash.  Dave-RIP  drugs.  
doctordoowop

« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2017, 01:53:09 PM »

Screw up--sorry.
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2017, 03:12:15 PM »

Knew  Antrell and Stolper ?  Wow.   Hear Jeff  is in  Wash.  Dave-RIP  drugs.  
Yes, I knew Dave Antrell and both Jeff and Darryl Stolper, Art Turco, Steve Propes, Art and Henry Mariano, and Bob Cattaneo, and Rip Lay, and Bob Stallworth, Bob Campbell, Bob Pruter, John Raino, John Hillyard, Chris Peake, Pete Antonecci, Bob Mays, Cub Koda, Ron Murphy, Mike Pelagrino, Norm Presley, Herman Griffith, Lonnie Cook, Bob Hite, Henry Vestine, Steve Fodor, and many more collectors.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 04:18:27 PM by Robb_K » Logged

doctordoowop

« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2017, 03:19:25 PM »

A lot of those name  are familiar  from Goldmine  ads  yrs ago.  Hite,Lay etc.

Darryl  had a big blues collection--he  said over $1 mill yrs ago.  Collected odd  ball stuff too--showed me his  KKK  application form from yrs ago.  Being Jewish dont think  he  signed up. Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Watched a few boxing PPV    fights  at his house. Nice, but distant. Much better friends with Jeff.
JoeC

« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2017, 04:59:13 PM »

Knew  Antrell and Stolper ?  Wow.   Hear Jeff  is in  Wash.  Dave-RIP  drugs. 
Yes, I knew Dave Antrell and both Jeff and Darryl Stolper, and Art and Henry Mariano, and Bob Cattaneo, and Rip Lay, and Bob Stallworth, Bob Campbell, Bob Pruter, John Raino, John Hillyard, Chris Peake, Pete Antonecci, Bob Mays, Cub Koda, Ron Murphy, Norm Presley, Herman Griffith, Lonnie Cook, Bob Hite, Henry Vestine, and many more collectors.

Three familiar names to me -- Bob Hite & Henry Vestine as members of the bliues band, Canned Heat, and Cub Koda, writer of "Smokin' In The Boys Room."
Shandy

Manhattan Lifer, Chelsea

« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2017, 05:52:11 PM »

Robb - Hite was infamous for his disgusting habit of destroying dupes he had so they would be worth more.  He did this to other people too, when they weren't looking Tongue

"The small man builds prisons for everyone he meets, but the wise woman ducks under the moon and tosses keys to the beautiful and rowdy prisoners."  Hafiz

"From childhood's hour I have not been as other were - have not seen as others saw - I could not drink(sic) my passions from a common stream.
doowopbob

« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2017, 10:50:58 PM »

I have a good friend who is from Philly and we have talked about collecting.  He made an interesting comment a couple weeks ago - he and his circle of friends in Philly did not buy a lot of VGH/R&B records for a couple reasons: 1) lack of money and 2)it was frowned upon to collect VGH/R&B records lest you be known as the "brother who sold out to the man".  He said he started collecting as soul came to be, it was considered okay by his group.  He also mentioned that MOTOWN was not hugely accepted except for The Temptations and Marvin Gaye when they added an "edge" to their songs.

I want to yodel, I want to lurk, does that make me a total jerk?
Shandy

Manhattan Lifer, Chelsea

« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2017, 12:16:15 AM »

Bob - I understand the "lack of money" angle, but the other is a little over the top for me Wink

"The small man builds prisons for everyone he meets, but the wise woman ducks under the moon and tosses keys to the beautiful and rowdy prisoners."  Hafiz

"From childhood's hour I have not been as other were - have not seen as others saw - I could not drink(sic) my passions from a common stream.
doowopbob

« Reply #40 on: August 04, 2017, 01:32:05 AM »

Shandy - I was surprised by the 'sell out' comment but my friend was dead serious.  I see him about once a week so I will dig a little deeper.

Shandy

Manhattan Lifer, Chelsea

« Reply #41 on: August 04, 2017, 02:03:53 AM »

Bob - My guess is that by buying the side you're getting something valuable, probably worth more than the artist got paid.  Just a guess.

doowopbob

« Reply #42 on: August 04, 2017, 02:58:31 AM »

Shandy - that was the shame of the music scene back in the day.

Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #43 on: August 04, 2017, 03:40:09 AM »

Robb - Hite was infamous for his disgusting habit of destroying dupes he had so they would be worth more.  He did this to other people too, when they weren't looking Tongue

Sorry to hear that.  I liked Bob.  I didn't know that about him.  I met him in 1965, when I started at UCLA.  He was a sales clerk at Rancho Music on Pico & Westwood Blvd. in West L.A.  At that time he had no beard or mustache, and his hair was much shorter and slicked back.  He was a "greaser".  He used to sit behind the desk and sing Blues songs while playing his ukulele.  Don Ho sings The Blues!!!   Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy   He found me a mint yellow "Bip Bam" by the Drifters for 79?.  So, I liked him immediately.

JoeC

« Reply #44 on: August 04, 2017, 08:26:42 AM »

I have a good friend who is from Philly and we have talked about collecting.  He made an interesting comment a couple weeks ago - he and his circle of friends in Philly did not buy a lot of VGH/R&B records for a couple reasons: 1) lack of money and 2)it was frowned upon to collect VGH/R&B records lest you be known as the "brother who sold out to the man".  He said he started collecting as soul came to be, it was considered okay by his group.  He also mentioned that MOTOWN was not hugely accepted except for The Temptations and Marvin Gaye when they added an "edge" to their songs.

I'd agree with Shandy's remark.

So, BEFORE soul music became recognizable as a "type" distinct from older R&B, what records did they buy with their available money? I don't know what records made by African-Americans in the 1950s/early 60s weren't either VGH or R&B. I guess there was Nancy Wilson, Brook Benton, Johnny Mathis but ... hard-edged? And those type of singers were far more a product of "the man" than, say, Lee Andrews & The Hearts or The Dreamlovers.
JoeC

« Reply #45 on: August 04, 2017, 08:33:34 AM »

Sorry to hear that.  I liked Bob.  I didn't know that about him.  I met him in 1965, when I started at UCLA.  He was a sales clerk at Rancho Music on Pico & Westwood Blvd. in West L.A.  At that time he had no beard or mustache, and his hair was much shorter and slicked back.  He was a "greaser".  He used to sit behind the desk and sing Blues songs while playing his ukulele.  Don Ho sings The Blues!!!   Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy   He found me a mint yellow "Bip Bam" by the Drifters for 79?.  So, I liked him immediately.

Here's Hite (1970) being interviewed in a short clip by Jimmy Savile, BBC1 deejay later exposed as a pedophile. He was the top UK deejay of his day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dstInmUq5vE
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #46 on: August 04, 2017, 08:46:21 AM »

Here's Hite (1970) being interviewed in a short clip by Jimmy Savile, BBC1 deejay later exposed as a pedophile. He was the top UK deejay of his day.

I knew Bob a lot more when he was a "clean cut" kid, than during The Canned Heat period.  In fact, when I heard his group was popular, and first heard its name, I thought it was "The CAN'T EAT" !!!  Everyone laughed a lot at that.   Cheesy Cheesy Grin  Personally, I think my guess was a better name.  But, I've always hated those "modern" group names that are singular, and those plural names that make no sense related to people.  Give me the bird, car, and character qualities or personal experience names like The Flamingos, Cadillacs, Drifters, Satintones, etc.    How can a handful of people be a "thing" like "Frijid Pink"Huh   "The Frigid Fops" would make more sense.  Or, "The Five Tunas" would make more sense than "Hot Tuna".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dstInmUq5vE

JoeC

« Reply #47 on: August 04, 2017, 09:56:49 AM »

Robb, Canned Heat took their name supposedly from Tommy Johnson's 1928 recording "Canned Heat Blues."  Here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGuoOyeUj-w

Check this Wiki writeup out.

"Hite performed with Canned Heat at Woodstock in August 1969. The performances were not included in the original (1970) film Woodstock, but are in the 1994 "Director's Cut" version.

Canned Heat appeared on a November 1969 episode of Playboy After Dark. Hite was invited to talk with Hugh Hefner after the performance ... A 20-year-old Lindsay Wagner, playing the part of one of Hefner's party guests, sat on Hite's lap and played a party game. When asked by Hefner what kind of animal Hite would be if he were an animal, Wagner claimed he'd be a bear. Hite told her she got it right, that people called him "The Bear." It was also on this episode that Hite informed Hugh Hefner that he had over 15,000 78s.

He produced the John Lee Hooker/Canned Heat album, Hooker 'N Heat (1971).

On April 5, 1981, during a break between sets at The Palomino Club in North Hollywood, Hite was handed a drug vial by a fan. Thinking it contained cocaine, Hite stuck a straw into the vial and snorted it. The drug turned out to be heroin and Hite turned blue and collapsed. Some roadies put Hite in the band's van and drove him to a nearby home where he died.
Gino

« Reply #48 on: August 04, 2017, 10:04:41 AM »

Robb:

"The story goes that the band initially wanted to conquer the world using the name Hot Shit. The record company supposedly talked them out of that.

But then why Hot Tuna? The speculation is that with this name the record company got their way: hot tuna would be slang for the mind-expanding trip caused by heroin.

Those who consult the various slang dictionaries however don't get much further than that hot tuna is a very unfriendly name for the genitals of young, not entirely fresh girls: 'Damn girl, close ya legs; yo tuna stank!'

SOURCE:  http://www.bandnameexplained.com/2015/05/hot-tuna-band-name-meaning.html

"Grease for Peace!!"
Gino
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #49 on: August 04, 2017, 11:26:12 AM »

Robb, Canned Heat took their name supposedly from Tommy Johnson's 1928 recording "Canned Heat Blues."  
On April 5, 1981, during a break between sets at The Palomino Club in North Hollywood, Hite was handed a drug vial by a fan. Thinking it contained cocaine, Hite stuck a straw into the vial and snorted it. The drug turned out to be heroin and Hite turned blue and collapsed. Some roadies put Hite in the band's van and drove him to a nearby home where he died.

I knew Bob died OD-ing on drugs.  But, I never knew he died because someone switched drugs on him, or failed to tell him what drug it was.  That's tragic.  I heard that Antrell died by OD-ing on drugs, as well.  Sad stuff.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 04:15:59 PM by Robb_K » Logged

JoeC

« Reply #50 on: August 04, 2017, 11:34:22 AM »

Tragic for sure. Wasn't The Palomino Club on Lankershim in North Hollywood? Think I mighta gone there once back in the early 70s if it's the one I'm recalling.

Wonder what happened to Hite's collection of 15,000 78s?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 11:37:12 AM by JoeC » Logged
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #51 on: August 04, 2017, 12:12:44 PM »

Tragic for sure. Wasn't The Palomino Club on Lankershim in North Hollywood? Think I mighta gone there once back in the early 70s if it's the one I'm recalling.
Wonder what happened to Hite's collection of 15,000 78s?
Yes. The Palomino Club was located in North Hollywood.  But, I don't know anything about The San Fernando Valley.  I only know South Central, South L.A.. West L.A./Santa Monica, and Hermosa Beach.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 12:14:43 PM by Robb_K » Logged

Shandy

Manhattan Lifer, Chelsea

« Reply #52 on: August 04, 2017, 02:08:15 PM »

Bob - Agreed and it's still a shame Angry

Robb - So you knew him before he was "known".  Love your Don Ho comment Grin  I saw them at Woodstock and I remember it was a pretty good set that ended up freaking out my friend who was tripping in a bad way.  They say that if you can remember Woodstock you probably weren't there Grin

doowopbob

« Reply #53 on: August 04, 2017, 07:39:30 PM »

JoeC - I don't have an answer for you and I won't pretend to be a mind reader(don't mean to be a smart ass) so I can't qualify my friend's statements.  I also can't vouch personally as I grew up in a 75% Hispanic area in SOCAL and the ones I knew liked R&B and Doo Wop.

Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #54 on: August 05, 2017, 10:01:16 AM »

JoeC - I don't have an answer for you and I won't pretend to be a mind reader(don't mean to be a smart ass) so I can't qualify my friend's statements.  I also can't vouch personally as I grew up in a 75% Hispanic area in SOCAL and the ones I knew liked R&B and Doo Wop.

Yes, and now so many like Lowrider music, sweet Soul ballads.  The music of the Barrios from the mid '50s to now has largely been inspired by The Black Community's music, but, also sometimes has an East L.A. Chicano Latin flavour.   

JoeC

« Reply #55 on: August 05, 2017, 11:27:15 AM »

JoeC - I don't have an answer for you and I won't pretend to be a mind reader(don't mean to be a smart ass) so I can't qualify my friend's statements.  I also can't vouch personally as I grew up in a 75% Hispanic area in SOCAL and the ones I knew liked R&B and Doo Wop.

Yes, and now so many like Lowrider music, sweet Soul ballads.  The music of the Barrios from the mid '50s to now has largely been inspired by The Black Community's music, but, also sometimes has an East L.A. Chicano Latin flavour.  

Right on the mark. There's a whole series of "Brown Pride," low-rider album compilations. Think a pic of Whittier Boulevard is on the covers. Interesting that in addition to what Robb cited, some distinctly East Coast songs are included.

Robb, jumping back to your collectors' list. Henry Vestine, also in Canned Heat and a REALLY good guitarist, also died young. Age 52, in Paris. Grew up in Washington DC suburbs and Pacific Paliisades. Despite his family's wealth, he hung out and jammed at those famous South Central clubs.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 11:31:00 AM by JoeC » Logged
doctordoowop

« Reply #56 on: August 05, 2017, 02:19:17 PM »

Yes  Palomino  was  in NHwood  up  Lankershim.   We brought a few  grps there--Maye,Berry, Julian etc.

Destroying  dupes to increase rarity of yours?  Heard of  that, but never knew who did it.

Heard  collectors  had a vigil  outside  Hites  house ,think in Topanga Canyon,  trying to get  Hites  collection from  widow. Rich Rosen may have been one.  Maybe  Stolpers  too.
Shandy

Manhattan Lifer, Chelsea

« Reply #57 on: August 05, 2017, 02:30:56 PM »

doc - Only a guess, but I can imagine Silvani among the vultures.

doowopbob

« Reply #58 on: August 05, 2017, 03:10:57 PM »

The Palomino Club got a lot of publicity on the country station in L.A.  Don't remember the call sign but I remember one DJ named Sammy Jackson, former actor who had been in the series "No Time For Sergeants".  Everyday he had a guest singer in studio, he called that portion "coffee with" sponsored by Von's markets. 

doctordoowop

« Reply #59 on: August 05, 2017, 03:18:44 PM »

Sammy  Jackson  was on KLAC--570  AM.   Home station  of Dodgers  now--sports  talk.   For awhile  Lakers were  there,  and the greatest  sports radio  show EVER Jim  Healy.   Many of his  shows  are on You Tube.   Was on 5:30-6  PM-I laffed all the home.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: