DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 22, 2017, 02:08:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
ATTENTION:
NO COMMERCIAL SITES OR LINKS TO COMMERCIAL SITES ALLOWED ON THIS FORUM. IF YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO SELL,
ie, CLOTHES, RECORDS, FURNTURE, ETC. DON'T DO IT HERE. THE URL WILL BE DELETED...  Mike Paladino
75137 Posts in 6941 Topics by 192 Members
Latest Member: doowopbob
* Home Help Login Register
+  DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
|-+  OT - OFF TOPIC TOPICS :-)
| |-+  Off Topic Stuff
| | |-+  Nitpicking
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Nitpicking  (Read 1149 times)
Shandy

Manhattan Lifer, Chelsea

« on: July 30, 2017, 05:11:51 PM »

This is not really a topic, but previously I had told Robb some of my nitpicking experiences here and it came up again in a music topic today, so I thought I would make my brief comment to him here.

Robb - I had the Robbins experience with you, but I had a few others.  Chance pointed out that I used the wrong spelling on antidote.  This one is rich...I said to someone "I await the news with baited breath."  Lou(Gino) pointed out it should have been "bated".  Here comes the doozy.  Old kid's shows came up and I mentioned that everyone remembers Lucky Pup but me, and I remember Magic Cottage and no one else did.  I went on the describe the show, mentioned that it was hosted by a pretty and kind lady named Pat Michaels.  Design comes back, real official like and said "Her name was Pat Mikeles."  I played dumb to give him a chance to come clean.  He never heard of the show and goggled it, he would know nothing without that.  So I gave him his chance.  "How on earth could you know that?"  And he said "I read it somewhere."  ROF.  The kicker was that the show went off the air (I googled AFTER my post) when I was THREE YEARS OLD.  See, I was new and posted a lot about the music.  When you guys couldn't get me at that (I'm bound to make a mistake sometime, but not right out of the gate), I was gang nitpicked, lol.  I saw TONS of mistakes back then, but only mine were seen as "Gotcha!s"  That hasn't happened for a long time.  Your hamlet/town distinction brought it to mind Smiley
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 12:47:28 AM by Shandy » Logged

"The small man builds prisons for everyone he meets, but the wise woman ducks under the moon and tosses keys to the beautiful and rowdy prisoners."  Hafiz

"From childhood's hour I have not been as other were - have not seen as others saw - I could not drink(sic) my passions from a common stream.
JoeC

« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2017, 05:38:26 PM »

I never heard of Lucky Pup or Magic Cottage. It was strictly Officer Joe Bolton and the Little Rascals reruns on WPIX-11 for me, sprinkled in with some Mouseketeers (the original, Annette days).
doctordoowop

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2017, 07:01:32 PM »

Compulsives cant help  themselves.   I liked  Dunkirk,  but  was  amazed  that   Britisher  Writer/Director Nolan  had  one Spitfire pilot ask  another--"How many  GALLONS  of  GAS  u got left?"   Shouldn't  it be  liters  of petrol?

At least  he  got the ending right. Grin Grin Grin
JoeC

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2017, 07:21:06 PM »

Liters of petrol. hah! Liters is the American spelling. Brits (and others) spell it litres.
Shandy

Manhattan Lifer, Chelsea

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2017, 07:47:13 PM »

doc - I agree with you, compulsives have a hard time with control.  But a compulsive doesn't have selective control so these were just a bunch of garden variety chauvs that didn't like a woman who knew a little about music hanging around the old white boys' club ("No Grils(sic) Allowed).  They finally tired of it.  One time I made a REALLY stupid mistake, one that I have no excuse for ever, because I saw it everyday, just about.  I said "Did It" was by the Aladdins.  YIKES! Embarrassed  While mortified, I didn't mind being corrected on that one at all.  So I take an factual correction very well, don't want to be a part of spreading misinformation, but nitpicking is a pet peeve.

"The small man builds prisons for everyone he meets, but the wise woman ducks under the moon and tosses keys to the beautiful and rowdy prisoners."  Hafiz

"From childhood's hour I have not been as other were - have not seen as others saw - I could not drink(sic) my passions from a common stream.
DJ Big Jack
Administrator

BOO !

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2017, 10:10:53 PM »

I, of course, refuse to pick on Shandy and tell her that she spelled "Design" as "Desgin" and spelled "Googled" as "googgled".     I would NEVER do that!

BTW Shandy .. I loved the term "gang nitpicked" ... it's so so so GRAPHIC !

doctordoowop

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2017, 11:10:51 PM »

I can barely type,so my  posts must be full of errors.   Of course, Bobby  Jeffers' Laddins. 

BTW Joe,  OK I  spelled  liter wrong,  but   what were  gallon and  gas doing  in Dunkirk?   Perhaps  it  was dummed  down for the US  audience--too much of a gaffe for  Nolan.

Shandy,  I  am not sure  how doozy  is spelled,but   comes from the Dusenberg  auto.  I will  look  it up--may be  dusey--but  dont know enough  to"correct"u. Grin Grin Grin Grin
doctordoowop

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2017, 11:21:16 PM »

It is doozy  and does   NOT  come from car.   Why I was  tentative  in  last post--  per Merriam  Webster  nothing to do  with car.

Like  a   multiple  choice test--  learn  from my mistakes.  Never knew.
Shandy

Manhattan Lifer, Chelsea

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2017, 12:40:04 AM »

Jack - Well of course you wouldn't pick on me, not someone who's survived a gang nitpick and lived to tell the tale!

doc - Goes to show what I know, I thought it was Dusseldorf(sp?) for the car.  I'm not Jewish, but I don't drive German.  Thinking that it referred to the car is a hoot though, you get many points for that.  BTW, the car is spelled Duesenberg, which I only know because I looked it up. 
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 12:45:30 AM by Shandy » Logged

Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2017, 04:14:37 AM »

Robb - I had the Robbins experience with you. I saw TONS of mistakes back then, but only mine were seen as "Gotcha!s".  Your hamlet/town distinction brought it to mind Smiley
Part I-
Sorry you feel singled out for petty nitpicking here on this website. But I assure you that it's just a coincidence, not because you're female, & other members are "White males". I'd bet my life that males on this website are NOT consciously nitpicking at your posts, letting fellow male posters get by Scott free when making errors. I don't try to pick you out to "correct" your "errors". I make enough of my own. Everyone here could be constantly "correcting" other members' misspellings on almost every post. I make it a point not to do that. The Robbins example was different, in that it is information that several posters here may not know. I pointed that out for their sake. You were correct to complain that I overlooked that you HAD spelled it correctly. That just points out that I don't read very carefully. But, I just want you to know that I don't try to point out your (or anyone's) errors to make them look bad. You probably noticed that I feel compelled to provide "information" to others, to the point where it looks like I just like to "hear myself talk" (self image of a "teacher"). Believe me, there's nothing personal against you in anything I point out in your posts. I do the same for anyone's posts. I will never correct spelling, unless it is something that others here can learn.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 08:35:59 AM by Robb_K » Logged

JoeC

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2017, 08:24:56 AM »

Robb, couldn't agree more.

Shandy, for some reason I think you see slights where there are none. From Day One, I've only seen the utmost respect here for your knowledge. Of course, there are differences of opinion but, that's what makes for a good board.
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2017, 08:34:44 AM »

Part II
I wouldn't want to join a "White VGH collectors' Club".  I definitely wouldn't side with them against female members who want to be treated equally. It's a fact that there are significantly less female record collectors than male, not because there are less fans of music among them, but because organised "collecting" is a male thing, because more males tend towards the autistic side that leads to "collectors' syndrome", and males are also more apt to go public with their collecting. It just SEEMS that we are chauvanistic. Most members here WANT more female VGH fans and even record collectors on this forum. I can understand why you feel that VGH record collectors are mainly a male chauvanist group, but, it's just that many of them are very compulsive in their hobby, and not considerate of others, and not socially oriented. I haven't met very many who I liked. I know that I share many characteristics with them, and try to keep them under control.  As far as your being singled out, I'd guess that you and I have more in common than what I have in common with many other posters on this forum.  So, if I WERE prejudiced against any members here (I hope not), you wouldn't be one of them. Please forgive my apparent insensitivity, and know that I mean no one any harm.  And don't take things so personally. Any seemingly rude behaviour on this forum is a LOT more about the poster than an attempt to belittle the person "corrected".  Actually, I wasn't trying to "correct" you as to what a "town" is.  I only brought up "hamlet" to make the joke about it being unkosher.  I try to be funny, and often fail.

JoeC

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2017, 09:30:58 AM »

I can barely type,so my  posts must be full of errors.   Of course, Bobby  Jeffers' Laddins. 

BTW Joe,  OK I  spelled  liter wrong,  but   what were  gallon and  gas doing  in Dunkirk?   Perhaps  it  was dummed  down for the US  audience--too much of a gaffe for  Nolan.

Shandy,  I  am not sure  how doozy  is spelled,but   comes from the Dusenberg  auto.  I will  look  it up--may be  dusey--but  dont know enough  to"correct"u. Grin Grin Grin Grin
Doc, I only pointed out the liter thing (and liter IS a correct spelling) to point out how trivial I happen to think nitpicking is. Life is too short and none of us is perfect.
doctordoowop

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2017, 05:52:45 PM »

I  agree  Joe--but IMDB  has a section  on "Goofs"  for every movie--I  discussed it with my son,HWood  director--he agreed it must have been Nolan dumming(or is it dumbing) down for US.  He was surprised when I told  him--but he agreed  that HWood  doesn't care much about accuracy.
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2017, 04:02:51 AM »

I  agree  Joe--but IMDB  has a section  on "Goofs"  for every movie--I  discussed it with my son,HWood  director--he agreed it must have been Nolan dumming(or is it dumbing) down for US.  He was surprised when I told  him--but he agreed  that HWood  doesn't care much about accuracy.
They sure don't!  I hate it when the history researchers don't do their jobs correctly, or even worse, when they DO, but the producers and money people think that "spicing up" "dull" history by exaggerating or adding absolute false events that are "exciting" or that they think people want to see or believe, or whitewashing what happened for a"white Anglo-Saxon Protestant chauvanistic agenda will be better.

I've noticed errors in almost every period piece (historical film).  Unfortunately, that's just the way life is.  The strong and the winners dictate what is available to the masses.

One example of simple error WITHOUT an agenda is the inclusion of domesticated Dromedary camels used for beasts of burden and personal transportation in the film, "The Ten Commandments".  The Dromedary (one humped) camel was not domesticated in The Middle East until about 900 B.C.  Many of the most respected historians now believe, based on Egyptian, Hittite, and Hurrian writings about The Hyksos Period, and the geological record of The Thera (Santorini) volcano eruption, that "The Exodus" described in The Bible, took place between 1550 and 1440 B.C.  Those who disagree, believe that "The Exodus of The Hebrews" took place between 1330 and 1230 B.C.  ALL these estimates are way too early for domesticated camels to b\have been used in Egypt then.

doctordoowop

« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2017, 10:37:59 PM »

HWood  sees critics  and  nitpickers  or  finders  of big errors--as  Hollywood  A-holes."

Well said Robb.
doowopbob

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2017, 07:42:44 PM »

Shandy - being new here I have ask why you weren't welcomed here?Huh  I'm under the impression that this forum is for music lovers and a great place to learn more about Doo Wop in particular.  I just can't imagine being singled out for being female, that is just WRONG!!!!!

I want to yodel, I want to lurk, does that make me a total jerk?
Shandy

Manhattan Lifer, Chelsea

« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2017, 10:39:52 PM »

Robb - I don't know why I'm seeing your two part comment so late.  TY for your input.  I should have stressed that it happened when I first joined here and doesn't anymore.  While I know you were here then (over seven years ago), you had sort of dropped out for awhile at the time.  I even asked about you since you stood out with your picture.  It was very sexist in nature and I had the e-mail to prove it.  It was nothing new to me, though, since I've experienced it since I started collecting at ten.  A child and a female to boot, double whammy, lol.  I scrape it off the bottom of my shoe like I do when I step in something unpleasant and keep walking.  The administrators were bombarded with e-mails wanting to get rid of me because I was "annoying" and "didn't belong".  A member named Bradd even started a topic to rally members against me.  See "The Chit Chat Here".  But I wasn't going anywhere and the administrators backed me, so they tired of it and here I be.  It got so bad that Mike Paladino came on to address the behavior.  When have you ever seen that before?  Two members received me warmly, rockingrichard and Chance.  They remembered me from back in the day, hadn't see each other in decades and we posted about Times and music-related memories.  We were seen by some as a clique.  It was ridiculous.  And I will take it personally when it is personal.  Terms like "girly" and "get a room" don't sit well with me.  I am not paranoid nor delusional.  But that is in the past.  I understand completely that you have no connection to my reality as a female in a male dominated pursuit, but that doesn't change the reality.  I have always enjoyed the information you provide and really like the fact that time hasn't waned your enthusiasm.  Cool Cool

Bob - See above.  I have no problem with the people here now, but in the beginning I was expected to prove my every word, while a lot of people were babbling utter nonsense and were never questioned.  That's when the nitpicking was at it's height and my every typo or misspelling needed correcting because they couldn't touch my musical facts so they had to find something, sort of like they thought they could take me down a peg or something.  I can tell you're not that sort as it comes to the surface right away.  It's just part of my history with the music and nothing breaks my stride Grin
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 12:54:48 AM by Shandy » Logged

doowopbob

« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2017, 10:45:32 PM »

Thanks for the explanation Shandy, glad things have improved for you.

Shandy

Manhattan Lifer, Chelsea

« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2017, 12:16:05 AM »

Bob - Yes, if it seemed I was complaining about now, that's not the case.  I don't expect the people who are new here to know what happened over seven years ago.  It pretty much came to an abrupt halt about 6 years ago.  If you don't get scared off, people get used to you even if it's begrudgingly Grin
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 12:24:36 AM by Shandy » Logged

doowopbob

« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2017, 12:36:51 AM »

I'll give you a special lurkers yodel

Shandy

Manhattan Lifer, Chelsea

« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2017, 12:55:29 AM »

Which I eagerly anticipate!

Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2017, 02:23:02 AM »

I should have stressed that it happened when I first joined here and doesn't anymore.  While I know you were here then (over seven years ago), you had sort of dropped out for awhile at the time.  I even asked about you since you stood out with your picture.  It was very sexist in nature and I had the e-mail to prove it.  It was nothing new to me, though, since I've experienced it since I started collecting at ten. I scrape it off the bottom of my shoe like I do when I step in something unpleasant and keep walking.  The administrators were bombarded with e-mails wanting to get rid of me because I was "annoying" and "didn't belong".  A member named Bradd even started a topic to rally members against me.  See "The Chit Chat Here".  But I wasn't going anywhere and the administrators backed me, so they tired of it and here I be.  It got so bad that Mike Paladino came on to address the behavior.  When have you ever seen that before?  Two members received me warmly, rockingrichard and Chance.  They remembered me from back in the day, hadn't see each other in decades and we posted about Times and music-related memories.  We were seen by some as a clique.  It was ridiculous.  And I will take it personally when it is personal.  Terms like "girly" and "get a room" don't sit well with me. But that is in the past.I understand completely that you have no connection to my reality as a female in a male dominated pursuit, but that doesn't change the reality.  

Yes Shandy, I must have missed most of the blatant, overt public rudeness and nastiness. That all must have happened mostly during the first late spring, summer and early fall after we joined this forum, as that is my season of very intense work and lots of travel, when I am away from Internet connection a lot, and working long hours, and also socialising at late hours.  If I had been on this forum during that whole time, I'd have complained a lot about the unfriendly tone, and being OT, and I might well have quit the place.  It must have gotten cleaned up quite a bit before I returned.  I do remember your calling out a couple of posters several times, and that 2 forum members were rude to you several times.  But, the "ganging up on you" and ridiculing you must have been mostly over.  And, I guess that some of those members left this forum.  Is that right?

JoeC

« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2017, 08:12:51 AM »

Comments:

1. I find it hard to believe, Shandy, that you were dismissed in any way on your knowledge of the music. That comes through early and strong in your posts.

2. Am I wrong that you once said that there was a time when other females WERE on this board -- at least one other. What happened to her/them?

3. Bradd? Sounds like a Dobie Gillis character.
doctordoowop

« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2017, 02:21:17 PM »

Shandy--nothing  breaks your  stride.  Closet  Matthew Wilder fan,eh?    Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
Shandy

Manhattan Lifer, Chelsea

« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2017, 02:48:56 PM »

Robb - Bradd left after no one would join his lynch mob. Old Roger was bounced after he was warned about his sexist remarks to me, so, contrarian that he was, he just pumped up the volume.  Jack bounced him and pulled his post before I saw it, but other members told me it was rank beyond belief.   There is one member still here, but he seldom shows up.  He was the one who used my personal e-mail to send me a disgusting sexual rant.  I'd mention his name, but I'd have to spit on it, lol  When he does make an appearance it doesn't involve me, so I can ignore him easily.  I'm sure there are still some cowards here that wrote to the administrators trying to get me bounced, but I don't know who they are.  As long as they keep their moronic mouths shut regarding me, I'm okay with that.  I have no doubt that if you'd seen what was done publicly you would have spoke out against it.  Quite a few did.....Mike, Brooklyn, rockingrichard, Gaynights, newsboy....so I knew who the good guys were Grin

doc - He stole that line from me and I'm suing, lol.

Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2017, 02:59:13 PM »

Robb - Bradd left after no one would join his lynch mob. Old Roger was bounced after he was warned about his sexist remarks to me, so, contrarian that he was, he just pumped up the volume.  Jack bounced him and pulled his post before I saw it, but other members told me it was rank beyond belief.   There is one member still here, but he seldom shows up.  He was the one who used my personal e-mail to send me a disgusting sexual rant.  I'd mention his name, but I'd have to spit on it, lol  When he does make an appearance it doesn't involve me, so I can ignore him easily.  I'm sure there are still some cowards here that wrote to the administrators trying to get me bounced, but I don't know who they are.  As long as they keep their moronic mouths shut regarding me, I'm okay with that.  I have no doubt that if you'd seen what was done publicly you would have spoke out against it.  Quite a few did.....Mike, Brooklyn, rockingrichard, Gaynights, newsboy....so I knew who the good guys were Grin
doc - He stole that line from me and I'm suing, lol.

I'm sure I would have.  I don't like to see attacks made on people by others.  I've done that on other fora when posters displayed such behaviour.  Anyway, it's good that this place is pretty civil now.  We just need more posters.

Shandy

Manhattan Lifer, Chelsea

« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2017, 06:03:06 PM »

Robb - More new posters, and more lurkers becoming active would make me VERY happy Grin

doctordoowop

« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2017, 06:09:10 PM »

Shandy--curious--  there is a way  to  see  how diff  lurkers  there are ,  rite?    And  can a non-member  lurk?
Shandy

Manhattan Lifer, Chelsea

« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2017, 07:15:17 PM »

doc - Only Jack knows the number for sure, but when you log in you can see who's on line and who's been on line that day.  I know lurkers from that.  A non-member would have to be a guest and marked as such and yes, they can lurk.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: