DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 17, 2017, 11:32:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
ATTENTION:
NO COMMERCIAL SITES OR LINKS TO COMMERCIAL SITES ALLOWED ON THIS FORUM. IF YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO SELL,
ie, CLOTHES, RECORDS, FURNTURE, ETC. DON'T DO IT HERE. THE URL WILL BE DELETED...  Mike Paladino
75103 Posts in 6940 Topics by 192 Members
Latest Member: doowopbob
* Home Help Login Register
+  DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
|-+  OT - OFF TOPIC TOPICS :-)
| |-+  Off Topic Stuff
| | |-+  Nitpicking
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Nitpicking  (Read 1097 times)
JoeC

« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2017, 07:20:56 PM »

Based on the membership rolls, there are either a boatload of lurkers who never post ... or people who have dropped out, or people who are no longer alive. All three are possibilities.
doctordoowop

« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2017, 12:45:27 AM »

Wonder  if  the  word lurk"  became  more popular after  Harrison's  line  in Hard Days Nite?

Q-What u doing here?

A-  Just lurking
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2017, 02:00:48 AM »

Based on the membership rolls, there are either a boatload of lurkers who never post ... or people who have dropped out, or people who are no longer alive. All three are possibilities.

It's probably a combination of all 3.

Shandy

Manhattan Lifer, Chelsea

« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2017, 02:19:27 AM »

Robb - A fourth possibility....they tried to come back and find themselves locked out.  It just happened to Lou Rallo, bigbeatguy.

"The small man builds prisons for everyone he meets, but the wise woman ducks under the moon and tosses keys to the beautiful and rowdy prisoners."  Hafiz

"From childhood's hour I have not been as other were - have not seen as others saw - I could not drink(sic) my passions from a common stream.
doctordoowop

« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2017, 11:31:22 AM »

Why so hard  getting in?  Others  mentioned  something awhile  ago.
JoeC

« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2017, 12:01:37 PM »

Why so hard  getting in?  Others  mentioned  something awhile  ago.

If anyone can answer, it's Jack!
DJ Big Jack
Administrator

BOO !

« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2017, 12:11:03 PM »

LURK  
1. to lie or wait in concealment, as a person in ambush; remain in or around a place secretly or furtively.
2. to go furtively; slink; steal.
3. to exist unperceived or unsuspected.
4. Chiefly Computers. to read or observe an ongoing discussion without participating in it, as on a message board.

Note:  Forum lurkers  here ----  
   - There are 80 members who joined and never posted
   - There are 20 members who joined and posted less than five times.
   -  Of the above 100 people,  only 5 have viewed the forum in the past 6 months.
   -  How many "lurkers" are there who have made more posts and now just view instead of posting?   It's hard to tell .. I'd have to go through all the member info and parse it out ... but that's too much work !!

NITPICK
1.  to be excessively concerned with or critical of inconsequential details.
verb (used with object)
2. to criticize by focusing on inconsequential details.
Note:  a "nit" is an egg of a louse or parasite.  When the eggs are laid on hair (or fur) it is a tedious job to remove (pick) them off because they adhere to indivdual strands of hair. The term nitpick probably came from the act of picking the nits off hair (or fur), strand by strand. A task which would take hours and require attention to small details.

doctordoowop

« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2017, 02:21:52 PM »

Just  from  your  stats,doubt many  lurkers here.   

BTW,  ask any  kid  with  lice whether  nit picking  is important. Or  any one  afflicted with "crabs."

[Crabs less  common  now  for   fairly  obvious   reasons]
Shandy

Manhattan Lifer, Chelsea

« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2017, 03:07:53 PM »

doc - I'm obtuse here, why are crabs less common?

"The small man builds prisons for everyone he meets, but the wise woman ducks under the moon and tosses keys to the beautiful and rowdy prisoners."  Hafiz

"From childhood's hour I have not been as other were - have not seen as others saw - I could not drink(sic) my passions from a common stream.
JoeC

« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2017, 03:26:14 PM »

Just  from  your  stats,doubt many  lurkers here.   

BTW,  ask any  kid  with  lice whether  nit picking  is important. Or  any one  afflicted with "crabs."

[Crabs less  common  now  for   fairly  obvious   reasons]

On the positive side, guess not having many lurkers is a good thing but negative is that who we see posting may be all we have in terms of membership.

Why I hate to hear bigbeatguy somehow can't get in.
doctordoowop

« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2017, 03:58:33 PM »

Shandy--I'll  step lightly  and  politely  and just   say   thanx  to  cosmetics and cosmetology.

[Remember  bald  men cant  get head lice. Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin]
JoeC

« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2017, 04:08:01 PM »

Pretty sure Chuck Berry trained as a cosmetologist. At first, music was an avocation.
doctordoowop

« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2017, 04:54:35 PM »

We know he didn't  play  baseball--"2-3  the  count"--   Holly  even copied his error.
Shandy

Manhattan Lifer, Chelsea

« Reply #43 on: August 07, 2017, 01:25:12 AM »

doc - Oh, the light just dawned, lol.

Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #44 on: August 07, 2017, 03:54:06 AM »

Shandy--I'll  step lightly  and  politely  and just   say   thanx  to  cosmetics and cosmetology.
[Remember  bald  men cant  get head lice. Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin]

At least not on the TOPs of their heads.   Tongue

JoeC

« Reply #45 on: August 07, 2017, 09:25:48 AM »

Compulsives cant help  themselves.   I liked  Dunkirk,  but  was  amazed  that   Britisher  Writer/Director Nolan  had  one Spitfire pilot ask  another--"How many  GALLONS  of  GAS  u got left?"   Shouldn't  it be  liters  of petrol?

At least  he  got the ending right. Grin Grin Grin

Just saw Dunkirk and have to disagree, Doc. It was OK and glad it was a watchable length (90 minutes) but I thought it focused waaaay too much on aerial dogfights rather than the civilian fishing craft that really pulled off the rescue (THAT was the real story of Dunkirk). Also, don't think we saw the real peril from the German army on the ground closing in on the beach. No history on WHY the Wehrmacht stopped and let the evacuation occur.
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #46 on: August 07, 2017, 01:02:12 PM »

Compulsives cant help  themselves.   I liked  Dunkirk,  but  was  amazed  that   Britisher  Writer/Director Nolan  had  one Spitfire pilot ask  another--"How many  GALLONS  of  GAS  u got left?"   Shouldn't  it be  liters  of petrol?

Just saw Dunkirk and have to disagree, Doc. It was OK and glad it was a watchable length (90 minutes) but I thought it focused waaaay too much on aerial dogfights rather than the civilian fishing craft that really pulled off the rescue (THAT was the real story of Dunkirk). Also, don't think we saw the real peril from the German army on the ground closing in on the beach. No history on WHY the Wehrmacht stopped and let the evacuation occur.

Their tanks had outrun their supply lines.  So they had outrun their fuel. 

JoeC

« Reply #47 on: August 07, 2017, 01:12:07 PM »

Their tanks had outrun their supply lines.  So they had outrun their fuel. 

Thanks, Robb. Thought it might somehow have been some miscalculation/misjugement by the commanding Field Marshall.
doctordoowop

« Reply #48 on: August 07, 2017, 01:15:39 PM »

Right Joe--forget my post--it was watchable  but  not a second time.  I just  bought  Lords book.   Agree  why did grmans stop?
doctordoowop

« Reply #49 on: August 07, 2017, 01:17:25 PM »

Thanx Robb.   Anyway,who said Germans were  great strategists?
JoeC

« Reply #50 on: August 07, 2017, 04:58:44 PM »

Right Joe--forget my post--it was watchable  but  not a second time.  I just  bought  Lords book.   Agree  why did grmans stop?

No need to "forget" your post. It's more than OK as movies go, just maybe needed a bit better balance on who the real heroes were -- the guys with their boats more than the few British planes above. I say that realizing there's not much drama with sailing fishing boats and pleasure craft -- compared to Spitfires engaging in dogfights!
doctordoowop

« Reply #51 on: August 07, 2017, 05:20:16 PM »

A nobody  could NOT  have   HWood  agree  to make Dunkirk.   Nolan I understand has a great recent.track record.  Bec of limited competition it is making much more $$  than expected.
JoeC

« Reply #52 on: August 07, 2017, 07:32:05 PM »

Was Dunkirk a Hollywood or British-made film? I don't recall the credits.
doctordoowop

« Reply #53 on: August 07, 2017, 08:59:27 PM »

US  made--not sure where  $$  came  from.  But Nolan has  a lot of clout & is  English.

Still  early  in Lords  excellent  book--tanks  were  "topped off"  10  miles  from  Dunkirk.  Sonot a fuel problem.  So far---  Hitler   ordered the  tanks to stop  because he didn't  want a repeat  of WW1,  and  wanted to  go thru  France  rather  than Flanders. 

But many pages to  go.

Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #54 on: August 08, 2017, 04:01:53 AM »

Thanx Robb.   Anyway,who said Germans were  great strategists?
Most of The Generals knew what they were doing.  Their problems came mostly from Hitler  ordering them to do the impossible.  But his lunacy helped them defeat France, which they wouldn't have done without Hitler's foolhardy plans.  They outran their supply lines a lot, also in The French Campaign.  Had The French High Command allowed De Gaulle to use their tanks all together in a few large Tank Units, instead of 2 each, supporting each infantry division, and also The French civilians not turned to panicking refugees and choked the roads, The French could have stopped The Germans well before Paris, and The Entire WWII would have gone a different way.

JoeC

« Reply #55 on: August 08, 2017, 07:52:03 AM »

I remember, as a kid in the early 1950s (not that long after WWII), walking in and around the Maginot Line pillboxes. One of the most foolish defensive strategies, employed in this case by the French, ever dreamed up. The Germans easily bypassed the entrenched fortifications, rendering them useless.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: