DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 17, 2017, 11:25:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
ATTENTION:
NO COMMERCIAL SITES OR LINKS TO COMMERCIAL SITES ALLOWED ON THIS FORUM. IF YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO SELL,
ie, CLOTHES, RECORDS, FURNTURE, ETC. DON'T DO IT HERE. THE URL WILL BE DELETED...  Mike Paladino
75103 Posts in 6940 Topics by 192 Members
Latest Member: doowopbob
* Home Help Login Register
+  DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
|-+  OT - OFF TOPIC TOPICS :-)
| |-+  Off Topic Stuff
| | |-+  The Treniers with Martin and Lewis 1954
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Treniers with Martin and Lewis 1954  (Read 575 times)
43doowop

« on: August 21, 2017, 03:43:16 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOrjlAy5M1Y
doctordoowop

« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2017, 09:19:37 PM »

Great  never saw  before.
doowopbob

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2017, 01:43:20 AM »

Thanks for sharing

I want to yodel, I want to lurk, does that make me a total jerk?
JoeC

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2017, 08:37:06 AM »

Interesting to see but, gotta say, as a teen I could never "connect" with the Vegas "rock" acts like Freddie Bell & The Bell Boys or The Treniers. Those acts seemed too rehearsed for me. Their goals, IMO, were not hit records or the adulation of the teen audience but to play a steady lounge gig on the Strip, opening for George Jessel or the like. They were "professional" when "authentic" was more desired (at least by me)!
Gino

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2017, 09:22:46 AM »

What's most interesting is that M & L choreographed well with the Treniers - must have had several rehearsals.

"Grease for Peace!!"
Gino
doctordoowop

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2017, 01:31:24 PM »

The  Treniers  performed a   lot at the  Riviera.   So sad that  in early days  they  could not stay at hotel,  & had to  enter through  the back door.

Lena Horne,  treated similarly, quit Vegas as a result.  But she could afford to give up  Vegas--many could not.
JoeC

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2017, 09:53:31 PM »

Not surprised Martin and Lewis worked well with the Treniers.

Also not surprised that Elvis bombed badly in Vegas in his early days. Luckily, that foolish booking by Parker didn't impede his career. Parker's same instincts in the 60s, of course, ruined the guy artistically.
doctordoowop

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2017, 10:40:42 PM »

Sure  in 56  Sinatra,  Martin , Damone, La Rosa  et al ran Vegas. 

What  hotel  did he fail  at?

One payoff-he  saw Jackie Wilson  and Liberace.  Loved their  showmanship. Grin Grin Grin Grin
JoeC

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2017, 08:03:30 AM »

Doctor, from some Elvis blog:

"That was not the case in 1956, however, when the rising rock ’n’ roll star, then just barely 21, played a two-week stint at the New Frontier Hotel in Las Vegas. Presley biographers have generally assessed that engagement a failure—a “flop” in show biz jargon. “I don’t think the people there were ready for Elvis,” drummer D. J. Fontana would later say of the Vegas audiences. “We tried everything we knew. Usually Elvis could get them on his side. It didn’t work that time.”

Presley was booked into the New Frontier’s Venus Room for two shows a night from April 23 through May 6. He was on a bill with veteran Vegas acts Freddy Martin and his orchestra, comedian Shecky Greene, and the Venus starlets. The newcomer was promoted as an “extra added attraction” and “the atomic powered singer.”

Freddy Martin & Orchestra?  The Venus Room seated 1000; E drew less than 300 a night weekdays, maybe twice that on Sat nites. Most customers went to see the "curiosity." Parker was already trying to make Elvis a lounge act, after one hit record nationally.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 08:08:43 AM by JoeC » Logged
doctordoowop

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2017, 05:26:38 PM »

What  a  clown!   Like I said  E  learned a lot.   He was a success  DESPITE  Parker.
JoeC

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2017, 08:25:37 PM »

What  a  clown!   Like I said  E  learned a lot.   He was a success  DESPITE  Parker.

Yep. I mean, in 1956 (other than to see a novelty in person), the Vegas audience was hardly E's audience. Later, of course, that all changed as the teens of the 50s grew up.
doctordoowop

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2017, 10:33:38 PM »

There is an interesting   audio  tape   taken  of E  rite after  his Vegas affair.   He  describes  watching  Jackie  W singing  I recall  Dont  Be Cruel  on his back  holding the  big mike up  in the air.   Raves how good it was.

E  called  JW  a black guy--neither  the  N---  word  nor colored.
JoeC

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2017, 07:56:35 AM »

There is an interesting   audio  tape   taken  of E  rite after  his Vegas affair.   He  describes  watching  Jackie  W singing  I recall  Dont  Be Cruel  on his back  holding the  big mike up  in the air.   Raves how good it was.

E  called  JW  a black guy--neither  the  N---  word  nor colored.

Obviously, way ahead of his times in race relations. Also, E did get his arrangement of Hound Dog from watching Freddie Bell during his Vegas booking. Leiber & Stoller hated it (at first), far preferring Big Mama Thornton's rendition.
doctordoowop

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2017, 05:03:15 PM »

I agree--I dont think he was a  racist. But he preferred petite  white  girls--like in allhis movies--Fabares,  Ann-margaret etc.

It may have been Hound dog  that he saw Wilson sing.

BTW,  L&S  didnt like  "There Goes My Baby"  even tho I think leiber wrote  much of it.   So their taste was occasionally, but not often , "off."

An aside--heard Vera interview Leiber  on radio yrs ago--They agreed Elvis  had  the best  voice in  Rock/R&B.  I was very surprised.
Gino

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2017, 06:05:52 PM »

Elvis heard Jackie Wilson sing Don't Be Cruel in Vegas.  You'll hear him say so on the extended Million Dollar Quartet album.

"Grease for Peace!!"
Gino
JoeC

« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2017, 07:50:06 PM »

I agree--I dont think he was a  racist. But he preferred petite  white  girls--like in allhis movies--Fabares,  Ann-margaret etc.

It may have been Hound dog  that he saw Wilson sing.

BTW,  L&S  didnt like  "There Goes My Baby"  even tho I think leiber wrote  much of it.   So their taste was occasionally, but not often , "off."

An aside--heard Vera interview Leiber  on radio yrs ago--They agreed Elvis  had  the best  voice in  Rock/R&B.  I was very surprised.

Yeah, certain the Hound Dog arrangement came from Freddie Bell. Leiber & Stoller really felt like black souls trapped in white bodies. They wrote for, and always preferred, versions of their stuff done by African Americans.
doctordoowop

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2017, 11:31:19 PM »

So   I was right  1st. Grin Grin Grin Grin
Shandy

Manhattan Lifer, Chelsea

« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2017, 04:09:01 PM »

Have seen the Martin and Lewis clip and can't see it too much.  When I was twelve I stumped Wayne Stierle with this song, he thought I was making it up Grin

Jump Outta The Bushes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkyRQwL8-W8

Despite spending some time in front of that shack, Elvis was raised in the urban projects as was no stranger to black culture.

"The small man builds prisons for everyone he meets, but the wise woman ducks under the moon and tosses keys to the beautiful and rowdy prisoners."  Hafiz

"From childhood's hour I have not been as other were - have not seen as others saw - I could not drink(sic) my passions from a common stream.
doctordoowop

« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2017, 04:57:32 PM »

oops, wont play on my computer.

We  should  remember   Dean  had fellow Ohians  Mills  Bros on every week.

PS--Shandy  have heard  the  texas disaster called  a "rain event  "  a few  times.

Event?  waiting for   Noah  to appear any minute. Grin Grin Grin Grin
Shandy

Manhattan Lifer, Chelsea

« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2017, 05:45:07 PM »

doc - Try this one, they were better live than recorded, but it will give you an idea of the song.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNNGZD44rgc  Maybe Noah coming would be an event, but a disaster is  disaster Angry

"The small man builds prisons for everyone he meets, but the wise woman ducks under the moon and tosses keys to the beautiful and rowdy prisoners."  Hafiz

"From childhood's hour I have not been as other were - have not seen as others saw - I could not drink(sic) my passions from a common stream.
Gino

« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2017, 09:49:10 AM »

"Disaster" is what happened when the stewardess backed into the propeller.

"Grease for Peace!!"
Gino
Shandy

Manhattan Lifer, Chelsea

« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2017, 11:55:03 PM »

Lou - I'm obtuse here.

Gino

« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2017, 09:27:46 AM »

Claire -

Dis-assed 'er.

"Grease for Peace!!"
Gino
doctordoowop

« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2017, 12:21:19 PM »

Obtuse?   Like the Warden  in Shawshank Redemption? Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
Shandy

Manhattan Lifer, Chelsea

« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2017, 08:16:00 PM »

Gino/Doc - LOL

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: