DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 17, 2017, 11:33:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
ATTENTION:
NO COMMERCIAL SITES OR LINKS TO COMMERCIAL SITES ALLOWED ON THIS FORUM. IF YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO SELL,
ie, CLOTHES, RECORDS, FURNTURE, ETC. DON'T DO IT HERE. THE URL WILL BE DELETED...  Mike Paladino
75103 Posts in 6940 Topics by 192 Members
Latest Member: doowopbob
* Home Help Login Register
+  DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
|-+  OT - OFF TOPIC TOPICS :-)
| |-+  Off Topic Stuff
| | |-+  Christopher Columbus could be next on the monuments chopping block.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Christopher Columbus could be next on the monuments chopping block.  (Read 375 times)
dead dog

« on: August 23, 2017, 04:28:40 PM »

So the politician who tried to turn a terrorist into a “National Freedom Hero” wants Mayor Bill de Blasio’s task force on “hate” monuments to look into Columbus’ statue, too.

What's wrong with our country ?  This is such bull shit ! ! !

http://nypost.com/2017/08/22/melissa-mark-viverito-displays-her-ignorance-in-columbus-kerfuffle/

http://nypost.com/2017/08/19/are-these-nyc-statues-next-on-the-chopping-block/

"Enjoy life to the fullest, as you never know when you will be asked to leave"
JoeC

« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2017, 09:39:37 PM »

Reminds me of the Sopranos episode where Tony smoothed things over at Mohegan Sun when Native Americans attacked Columbus' statue in Newark.
Gino

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2017, 10:30:10 AM »

Good ol' Warren Wilhelm Jr. always ready to show disrespect!

"Grease for Peace!!"
Gino
doctordoowop

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2017, 05:24:44 PM »

He didn't"discover "   America--but 1st white Euorpean here.  So brave to take those  3  rowboats to Haiti.   2  went back--not sure which sank.

Of course the math geniuses  Newton, Galileo   etc knew world was round--  but no one had  tried   "on the sea."

The biggest joke is ESPN  removing Korean  announcer  From Va  football game--because of name--Robert  Lee.   Cant make this s--t   up.

Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2017, 12:35:05 PM »

He didn't"discover "   America--but 1st white Euorpean here.  So brave to take those  3  rowboats to Haiti.   2  went back--not sure which sank.
Of course the math geniuses  Newton, Galileo   etc knew world was round--  but no one had  tried   "on the sea."

The first "White" European in USA was probably one that arrive from Europe, in a boat skirting along the shore of the glacial ice between Ireland, The Faroe islands, Iceland, Greenland, Baffin Island, Labrador, New Foundland, Nova Scotia, Maine, New Hampshire, Massachusetts during the last Ice Age, maybe 10,000 -20,000 years ago.  If not, Leif Eriksson likely got to Massachusetts, New Hampshire or Maine, as, according to The Vinland Saga, the description would almost certainly have placed Vinland south of The Canadian border.  Like the findings at L'Anse Aux Medeaux, in Newfoundland being found so recently, the ruins or foundation of the Norse settlement in USA will probably be found sooner or later.  I'm currently working on research of The Old Norse/Icelandic Sagas on a history project for a Norwegian publisher.

Also, Portuguese and French, and probably English or Irish fisherman were reaching The Grand Banks, off the coast of Nova Scotia during the beginning of the 1400s.  they probably even were there in the 1350s.  It's hard to believe that NONE of them ever made landfall in land within the current USA. 

JoeC

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2017, 01:38:30 PM »

Robb, interesting and compelling history.

In 1954, when my family returned to the USA after 3 years in Germany, we took a flight route that is laughable today (almost analogous to your centuries-earlier Europeans skirting land masses to traverse the North Atlantic). We had to fly from Frankfurt's Rhein-Main Airport to Shannon. Ireland, then the oceanic hop to Gander, Newfoundland, and then hugging the coast on to Idlewild Airport in NYC. Prop plane, no commercial jets then. Took forever. We flew low enough to see icebergs pretty clearly.
doctordoowop

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2017, 03:53:51 PM »

Columbus & Vespucci  just had better  agents--or  a connection to social media. Grin Grin Grin Grin
Gino

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2017, 06:08:38 PM »

Doc -

More than that.  Columbus was the first to establish settlements in the "new world."

"Grease for Peace!!"
Gino
JoeC

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2017, 07:47:15 PM »

Doc -

More than that.  Columbus was the first to establish settlements in the "new world."

A scary place. See Mel Gibson's "Apocalypto."
doctordoowop

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2017, 11:33:07 PM »

Loved Jimmy Jones reference  to  Chris  in  Good Timin.   Along with Isabella.
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2017, 02:28:03 AM »

Doc -

Didn't the "Paleo-Indians" coming across the Bering Straits land bridge establish Settlements?   (Tenochtitlan, Cuzco, Cahokia, etc.... long before 1493).  Doesn't Newfoundland count as "The New World"?  Leif Eriksson's settlement at L'anse Aux Medeaux was founded in 1000 or 1001.  The Vinland settlement was 1002. There was a 3rd. They were re-visited adding more settlers from 1000-1005, when they abandoned them because of continued fighting with the local natives. 

bklynmike101

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2017, 03:25:57 PM »

According to my high school history teacher (full disclosure - he was Irish), the Irish discovered America around the year 800. So it must be true. He was quite aware of, and did teach us that the "Vikings", whose lead singer was apparently one Leif Eriksson, had reached the new world and settled in for a time around the year 1000, although the colony eventually gave up and returned to Europe (and/or died out).  As Newfoundland does indeed have remnants from their visit, Leif & The Vikings were obviously the first R&B vocal group.  Columbus (on the Columbia label) and Vespucci (on Virgo) merely had better distribution deals. And that's the truth!   
doowopbob

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2017, 04:27:54 PM »

This discovery thing is now out of hand.  We all know that either Al Gore, Alan Freed or John Wayne discovered the good ole USA.

I want to yodel, I want to lurk, does that make me a total jerk?
Doowopjoe3

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2017, 11:31:11 AM »

I remember my high school history taught me it was Alan Freed who when he found this new land he was amazed at the birds he found, Robins, Bluejays, Larks, Orioles, Starlings even the non flying Penguins. He came in 2 boats, The "Moondog" and his second in command  , Sir Fats of Domino piloting the "Tutti Frutti"
doctordoowop

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2017, 02:53:48 PM »

Similar  to Chris,  Morris  Levy  was  the  money  man  behind   Freed. Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: