DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 17, 2017, 11:22:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
ATTENTION:
NO COMMERCIAL SITES OR LINKS TO COMMERCIAL SITES ALLOWED ON THIS FORUM. IF YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO SELL,
ie, CLOTHES, RECORDS, FURNTURE, ETC. DON'T DO IT HERE. THE URL WILL BE DELETED...  Mike Paladino
75103 Posts in 6940 Topics by 192 Members
Latest Member: doowopbob
* Home Help Login Register
+  DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
|-+  OT - OFF TOPIC TOPICS :-)
| |-+  Off Topic Stuff
| | |-+  New TV show for Shandyh
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New TV show for Shandyh  (Read 1110 times)
Shandy

Manhattan Lifer, Chelsea

« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2017, 03:08:14 AM »

Seems the "black&whites" (and green) were phased out in '72.  I was 22 then, but to me they will always be THE cop car.  The blue and whites are too girly Wink

"The small man builds prisons for everyone he meets, but the wise woman ducks under the moon and tosses keys to the beautiful and rowdy prisoners."  Hafiz

"From childhood's hour I have not been as other were - have not seen as others saw - I could not drink(sic) my passions from a common stream.
bklynmike101

« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2017, 12:01:18 PM »

Yup. I preferred the classic green and blacks of my youth to the blue and white's of my later youth. The change just rubbed the wrong way. Bring back Bungalow Bar ice cream trucks!
doctordoowop

« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2017, 01:37:15 PM »

Yes--only 2 incorporated  cities on LI  -- Glen Cove  &  Long Beach. Think they have  their own PDs.   

All  Nassau  county  cars  were  medium blue with orange trim.  Joe would  know--not sure  about Suffolk  Cty--think white.

I will  check  now  about    NYC  PD  cars.

doctordoowop

« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2017, 01:45:17 PM »

found  some black/dark green from  1966--so  probably some  still around in 70s.   But definitely  mostly powder blue/white by 1971.
Shandy

Manhattan Lifer, Chelsea

« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2017, 02:34:22 PM »

Mike - Rubbed me the wrong way, too.  I was a Pied Piper girl for my summers in the Bronx.

doc - See Jacks previous post, both the old and the new NYC cars were in used in '72.

"The small man builds prisons for everyone he meets, but the wise woman ducks under the moon and tosses keys to the beautiful and rowdy prisoners."  Hafiz

"From childhood's hour I have not been as other were - have not seen as others saw - I could not drink(sic) my passions from a common stream.
doctordoowop

« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2017, 12:29:18 PM »

Deuce-- pretty  grim,but realistic.

Another called it  Deuce  in 71.

When Franco  was  telling  his twin about being the favorite--Faintly  Heard"Lovers Who Wander" in Background.

The soul  music  is pretty weak, but   have to pay for the real stuff.  HBO  saves $$$.

JoeC

« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2017, 12:51:37 PM »

I most recall the 1950s era cop cars in NYC. As I recall, all black & white and all Fords.

In Suffolk County, throughout the 60s, the cops drove cars (Plymouths?) painted black, with white doors and white roofs. .
doctordoowop

« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2017, 04:06:41 PM »

Only 2  real  cities in Nassau--any in Suffolk?
doctordoowop

« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2017, 04:09:35 PM »

Woops--just  found  another nit--  HO -meaning  whore not around until much  later--late 80s?

A  lot  of  male "frontal  nudity"
JoeC

« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2017, 05:01:11 PM »

Only 2  real  cities in Nassau--any in Suffolk?

When I lived there, there were no real cities in Suffolk. Three biggest population centers were Huntington, Babylon and Islip. Probably many more  towns now but, I suspect, still no cities per se.

What are the two Nassau cities? Hempstead?  Other??
doctordoowop

« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2017, 10:40:01 PM »

Joe--only  incorporated  cities  are/were  Long Beach  &  Glen   Cove. Who  knows why.  There  is a township of  Hempstead--but it isn't a city.
doctordoowop

« Reply #41 on: September 18, 2017, 10:43:47 PM »

BTW,  Deuce  is produced directed  by women  only I believe.   So  IMO  to show their  "coolness"  every  sentence   has a f--k  or 2 in it. Amazing.
Shandy

Manhattan Lifer, Chelsea

« Reply #42 on: September 18, 2017, 11:34:18 PM »

doc - Gee, i've been saying mf since I was seven, does that make me cooler?  BTW, I think your comment is sexist, and takes quite a mental leap to be so, but it doesn't bother me.  When we were young, and if we wanted to be treated like ladies, we didn't say it, but guys did it to look cool/tough to the other guys.  I see out of both eyes Wink  Maybe Guyland guys and girls were different, I would be surprised if they weren't.  You should know, since your son is some Hollywood big shot, that producers and directors don't write much.  As to the writers, they just added two female authors to their existing two-man team of David Simon and George Pelecanos.  The former is an author and a police reporter.  NYC cops (and they will cop to it, NPI) have the foulest mouths by far of any group I've ever come across, it's part and parcel of their very dark humor. So if I had to guess like you did, I'd say the f-bombs come from him and my guess is better than yours. (Shan sticks out her tongue, put her thumbs in her ears and wiggles her fingers).
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 11:57:37 PM by Shandy » Logged

doctordoowop

« Reply #43 on: September 19, 2017, 03:01:29 PM »

My  son is  NOT  a big shot, unfortunately.   

Have 3 daughters too.   Knew it mite be considered sexist,   but  let's just   say  the f's  really fly,   even too much for me. Maybe I'm a   wimp. Grin Grin Grin Grin
Shandy

Manhattan Lifer, Chelsea

« Reply #44 on: September 19, 2017, 03:45:25 PM »

Four children, that's impressive these days.  I'm sure you're proud of them all.  When I'm at the supermarket and get to the total (I basically feed only myself), I think "How do families do it?".  Nutritious things that could be had on the cheap....fish, fruits, vegetables....are not the bargain they used to be.  I recently paid $37 for a pound of wild shrimp, I have a thing for shellfish of any kind and when I see the prices I wish I was raised in the Jewish faith, lol.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 02:17:58 AM by Shandy » Logged

JoeC

« Reply #45 on: September 19, 2017, 06:00:23 PM »

The Deuce just got picked up for a second season. 

As for the soundtrack, heard a number of cuts, one being "Slam Down Tough" by UK horn man,  jazz funk artist Dominic Glover, that were from this century (Glover's song was from 2016).
DJ Big Jack
Administrator

BOO !

« Reply #46 on: September 19, 2017, 08:49:05 PM »

I never understood why people drop the Fbomb , let alone use it in almost every sentence.     I doubt if I've said it more than 10 times total in my entire life, and that includes over 23 years in the military.    There's really no reason to use it as a noun, verb and adjective the entire time you speak .. there are lots of other , truly descriptive words out there.   Is it laziness?  or ?     I'd really like to know.

doctordoowop

« Reply #47 on: September 19, 2017, 11:20:29 PM »

It  is very  common--maybe  more in  NYC  --why  so   much  cursing  heard  on  rap ---as  most  is from  NY.

I certainly know women curse,  but like spitting--an almost  total  male  habit.

DJ Big Jack
Administrator

BOO !

« Reply #48 on: September 20, 2017, 06:59:00 AM »

I still remember John Goodman in the TV show "Treme" doing avideo blog about the government response to Katrina where he said  "F___ you, you F___ing F___s."     Later, someone approached him in a restaurant and commented on his use of the word as a verb, noun, and adjective all in one short sentence.

Shandy

Manhattan Lifer, Chelsea

« Reply #49 on: September 20, 2017, 07:49:14 AM »

Because with 8 million people, there is many an occasion to tell people, in the nicest possible way, to "f off".  It's mostly used as a sort of punctuation, like "You, f!"  It is also complementary, like "You are so fkg cool!".  It's almost never used to mean intercourse (sexual), but I think that's where it started and why it was considered crude.  It's evolved into an exclamatory, like "Cool!" and "Oh, man."  Why has suck (first used as slang for oral sex) been accepted into the lexicon, and not f?  The f word is so much more diversified.  If course, you don't throw it around just anywhere, like in a job interview or when meeting the in-laws-to-be.  We do have a sense of propriety, ya know.  Everything I've said makes perfect sense in NYC, so if you're not from here or don't get it, I understand, but think you're so fkg un-cool Grin 

JoeC

« Reply #50 on: September 20, 2017, 08:35:24 AM »

Joe--only  incorporated  cities  are/were  Long Beach  &  Glen   Cove. Who  knows why.  There  is a township of  Hempstead--but it isn't a city.

Interesting. For some reason, I never even think of Long Beach as being in Nassau (though I know it is). Think of it more like The Rockaways
doctordoowop

« Reply #51 on: September 20, 2017, 12:13:54 PM »

Good surf at the  Azores Hotel.   Mafia guys  lived in LB.    Had all  shrubbery  removed from front of houses for  protection. 

BTW,  Caan  is in a shooting  scene in Godfather--where   spur   leaves Meadowbrook  Pkwy  to  go to  LB.   It was at the toll  booth.
JoeC

« Reply #52 on: September 20, 2017, 04:13:08 PM »

For years, virtually all the New York Rangers lived in Long Beach. Gave them some privacy.
DJ Big Jack
Administrator

BOO !

« Reply #53 on: September 20, 2017, 05:43:58 PM »

Shandy ... seen on a T shirt

FRIDAY is my second favorite F word

Shandy

Manhattan Lifer, Chelsea

« Reply #54 on: September 21, 2017, 08:17:56 AM »

LOL  Not pertaining to the F-word, but we have a cool one saying "New York Doesn't (Heart) You!".  I don't wear it though because I love tourists.  I do wear "I Hear Voices....And They Don't Like You."  I call it my Travis Bickle shirt.  It's meant to scare people off, but all it does is attract people who want to know where I got it.  Go figure.

Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #55 on: September 21, 2017, 12:33:02 PM »

Good surf at the  Azores Hotel.   Mafia guys  lived in LB.    Had all  shrubbery  removed from front of houses for  protection. 

BTW,  Caan  is in a shooting  scene in Godfather--where   spur   leaves Meadowbrook  Pkwy  to  go to  LB.   It was at the toll  booth.
A shrubbery???  I love references to Monty Python!   Grin

Shandy

Manhattan Lifer, Chelsea

« Reply #56 on: September 21, 2017, 01:35:22 PM »

"Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition in the shrubbery." Grin

doctordoowop

« Reply #57 on: September 21, 2017, 11:22:22 PM »

Sure --to   remove  hit man  hiding  places.
Shandy

Manhattan Lifer, Chelsea

« Reply #58 on: September 22, 2017, 01:33:47 AM »

Grin

DJ Big Jack
Administrator

BOO !

« Reply #59 on: September 22, 2017, 11:47:12 AM »

I always laughed seeing Tony Soprano walking down the driveway in his bathrobe to pick up the paper .. and glancing around for anything unusual  the entire time.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: