DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 17, 2017, 11:19:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
ATTENTION:
NO COMMERCIAL SITES OR LINKS TO COMMERCIAL SITES ALLOWED ON THIS FORUM. IF YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO SELL,
ie, CLOTHES, RECORDS, FURNTURE, ETC. DON'T DO IT HERE. THE URL WILL BE DELETED...  Mike Paladino
75103 Posts in 6940 Topics by 192 Members
Latest Member: doowopbob
* Home Help Login Register
+  DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
|-+  OT - OFF TOPIC TOPICS :-)
| |-+  Off Topic Stuff
| | |-+  2018 ROCK AND ROLL HALL OF FAME NOMINEES.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2018 ROCK AND ROLL HALL OF FAME NOMINEES.  (Read 294 times)
januarytom

« on: October 05, 2017, 12:59:17 PM »

IF ANYONE IS INTERESTED IN THIS YEARS JOKE.
WHY IS NINA SIMONE ON THIS LIST?Huh

The nominations for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame's Class of 2018 are in, and the list includes Radiohead, Rage Against The Machine, Bon Jovi, Depeche Mode, Judas Priest, Kate Bush, the Cars, Dire Straits, Eurythmics, J. Geils Band, LL Cool J, MC5, the Meters, the Moody Blues, Rufus featuring Chaka Khan, Nina Simone, Sister Rosetta Tharpe, Link Wray and the Zombies.
JoeC

« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2017, 01:58:17 PM »

Agree on Nina. I like Kate Bush but ... r n r she is not. Neither of course is LL Cool J.

Hope Sister Rosetta Tharpe gets in (and she just might on the strength on her rockin' Gibson SG guitar playing). Much more of a rocker instrumentally than, say, Pop Staples who is already in, was. Plus, the Sister should get points for really being a "roots" act who goes back to the '30s. Loss of Tom Petty may hurt as he was one of her strongest advocates. We shall see.
Shandy

Manhattan Lifer, Chelsea

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2017, 03:41:24 PM »

I don't think I even know who Kate Bush is and I'm not interested in googling.  I'm surprised they even know who Sister is, but r&r?

"The small man builds prisons for everyone he meets, but the wise woman ducks under the moon and tosses keys to the beautiful and rowdy prisoners."  Hafiz

"From childhood's hour I have not been as other were - have not seen as others saw - I could not drink(sic) my passions from a common stream.
doowopbob

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2017, 08:19:38 PM »

Tried to vote but kept getting an error message.  From a rock point of view I would like to see the Moody Blues get in. I tried to vote for Link Wray since Duane Eddy is already in.

I want to yodel, I want to lurk, does that make me a total jerk?
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2017, 08:31:44 PM »

IF ANYONE IS INTERESTED IN THIS YEARS JOKE.
WHY IS NINA SIMONE ON THIS LIST?Huh

The nominations for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame's Class of 2018 are in, and the list includes Radiohead, Rage Against The Machine, Bon Jovi, Depeche Mode, Judas Priest, Kate Bush, the Cars, Dire Straits, Eurythmics, J. Geils Band, LL Cool J, MC5, the Meters, the Moody Blues, Rufus featuring Chaka Khan, Nina Simone, Sister Rosetta Tharpe, Link Wray and the Zombies.
"Rock & Roll"Huh?? I agree with Link Wray being on that list.  Even Sister Rosetta Tharpe didn't really sing "Rock & Roll".  Although her Gospel and Blues songs were the type of music that contributed to the start of  "Rock & Roll" as inspiration to it.

I never heard of many of the rest of the artists on the list, and those that I have I'd call "Rock" rather than "Rock & Roll" artists (although there are several on the list I'd have a hard time calling "artists".

JoeC

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2017, 09:11:51 PM »

I don't think I even know who Kate Bush is and I'm not interested in googling.  I'm surprised they even know who Sister is, but r&r?

Kate Bush is a big star in the UK and has been for the last 35 years or so. Very eclectic; can't think of any comparison here in the US. You might know her as the composer of American R&B artist Maxwell's #1 hit in 1997, "This Woman's Work."  She combines singing and performance art in her videos. Only US hit was "Running Up That Hill" in 1985.   

The way that "Hall of Fame" defines R&R is totally opaque. No logic, rhyme or reason whatsoever. I've never visited and don't intend to.
doctordoowop

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2017, 09:55:40 PM »

Bring  Ertegun  back.  RIP
Gino

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2017, 12:01:27 AM »

Totally "ear-elephant."

(Hope y'all get it.)

"Grease for Peace!!"
Gino
doctordoowop

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2017, 12:10:27 AM »

Mite  as  well put Stan Freberg & Soupy  Sales  in  .  Throw  in Larry  Verne  & Napoleon  14th too.  Don't forget Rappin Rodney. Grin Grin Grin Grin
bklynmike101

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2017, 11:42:25 AM »

I vote for Senator Everett Dirksen (Wild Thing)  Roll Eyes
43doowop

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2017, 05:03:59 PM »

Screamin Jay should be in for sure....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kGPhpvqtOc
JoeC

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2017, 05:56:30 PM »

Screamin Jay should be in for sure....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kGPhpvqtOc

Terrible version of the song itself. That skull on a stick had a name, "Henry."