DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 17, 2017, 11:29:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
ATTENTION:
NO COMMERCIAL SITES OR LINKS TO COMMERCIAL SITES ALLOWED ON THIS FORUM. IF YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO SELL,
ie, CLOTHES, RECORDS, FURNTURE, ETC. DON'T DO IT HERE. THE URL WILL BE DELETED...  Mike Paladino
75103 Posts in 6940 Topics by 192 Members
Latest Member: doowopbob
* Home Help Login Register
+  DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
|-+  OT - OFF TOPIC TOPICS :-)
| |-+  Off Topic Stuff
| | |-+  Veterans Day , Saturday November 11, 2017
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Veterans Day , Saturday November 11, 2017  (Read 84 times)
DJ Big Jack
Administrator

BOO !

« on: November 03, 2017, 12:22:53 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/embed/uoABty_zE00?rel=0

Shandy

Manhattan Lifer, Chelsea

« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2017, 12:40:38 PM »

Lovely Smiley

"The small man builds prisons for everyone he meets, but the wise woman ducks under the moon and tosses keys to the beautiful and rowdy prisoners."  Hafiz

"From childhood's hour I have not been as other were - have not seen as others saw - I could not drink(sic) my passions from a common stream.
JoeC

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2017, 01:00:43 PM »

Big Jack, very moving.

Interesting that in the 50s and early 60s -- well before the unpopularity of Viet Nam -- there was mention in the songs of the day of people serving. Thinking of "Soldier Boy," "To A Soldier Boy," "I'm So Young," and all the songs referring to young people serving.

Plus, all those dedications on Freed's radio show from young girls to soldiers serving all around the world in those Cold War days. Back then, seemed to me that a good percentage of the kids graduating from HS - those that didn't go on to college - seemed to enlist; now, I don't think that's the case, for many reasons. 
doowopbob

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2017, 02:45:18 PM »

Thanks for posting Jack.  For all my fellow Veterans a big THANK YOU for your service.

I want to yodel, I want to lurk, does that make me a total jerk?
43doowop

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2017, 03:47:18 PM »

Thanks for posting,,,  next week will be 50 years since I came home from the Nam..

love this soldier song...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGg88nBNP-8
JoeC

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2017, 04:19:35 PM »

43 and Bob, glad you both made it back and thanks for YOUR service.

My roommate at Fort Meade went to Nam as an Army 2LT around Oct 1968. He could not wait to get there. He was killed in May '69 leading his platoon near Tam Ky (about 18 mi from Chu Lai). He was with the 1st Battalion of the 501st Infantry (then operating under the command of the 1st Brigade of the 101st Airborne). 
Shandy

Manhattan Lifer, Chelsea

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2017, 09:49:49 PM »

This is my favorite by far.  I had to sing it (with back up, thank god) and it almost killed me.  "Another Solider Gone" - Violinaires

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdz_Ou-Ub8I

"The small man builds prisons for everyone he meets, but the wise woman ducks under the moon and tosses keys to the beautiful and rowdy prisoners."  Hafiz

"From childhood's hour I have not been as other were - have not seen as others saw - I could not drink(sic) my passions from a common stream.
JoeC

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2017, 10:04:37 PM »

It's raw, unpolished, girl singer goes off-key but ... I've always liked it and for a doo wop record, it did more than OK in the NY metro area sales--wise.

New Jersey's own Tassels   To A Soldier Boy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgCk6iLFJjU
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 10:06:20 PM by JoeC » Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: