DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 25, 2018, 01:00:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
ATTENTION:
NO COMMERCIAL SITES OR LINKS TO COMMERCIAL SITES ALLOWED ON THIS FORUM. IF YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO SELL,
ie, CLOTHES, RECORDS, FURNTURE, ETC. DON'T DO IT HERE. THE URL WILL BE DELETED...  Mike Paladino
76534 Posts in 6993 Topics by 192 Members
Latest Member: doowopbob
* Home Help Login Register
+  DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
|-+  OT - OFF TOPIC TOPICS :-)
| |-+  Off Topic Stuff
| | |-+  Professional Athletes who were also recording artists
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Professional Athletes who were also recording artists  (Read 1075 times)
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #60 on: January 14, 2018, 02:29:30 PM »

I remember  50s-60s Rams well-dont   recall Perkins.

Why you don't remember him is that he was a little-used fullback for only 2 seasons with The Rams (1962-1963).

doctordoowop

« Reply #61 on: January 14, 2018, 03:18:36 PM »

Those  Rams sucked.    Thats  around  wen they  foolishly  got  rid  of Bill Wade  & Frank Ryan. [after Van Brocklin]  Just realized  all 3 won NFL  AFTER they left Rams.  Van in 60, Wade in 63 & Ryan in 64.  Later  60s finally better with Roman Gabriel.   

I became a Ram fan as a kid for  2 reasons--cool helmets,  and  Pacific Time  Zone.  I'd  play outside in the snow until around 5PM  wen it got dark. Then watch Ram game from  LA.

I dont recall  ever wondering  why it  was sunny & 70 degrees there and  dark & 30 degrees  at home. Just recall I liked  it. Grin Grin
JoeC

« Reply #62 on: January 14, 2018, 06:58:24 PM »

I used to wonder about that weather, Doctor! Especially when watching the USC Song Girls in action on bright, warm sunny days in November at the Coliseum. For my money, you can keep the Dallas Cowboys cheerleaders, the Song Girls in those knit outfits still set the standard.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 06:59:57 PM by JoeC » Logged
doctordoowop

« Reply #63 on: January 15, 2018, 02:18:56 AM »

Rite-Joe  why I liked SC  too.  Jaguar Jon  Arnett--dont recall  many others from then--but McKeever twins. 

Great trivia--whose HS  (ManualArts),college (SC)  and pro team (Rams)  are all within walking  distance.  Arnett-has to  be only  pro  who  has that  history.

As an early fan  I loved the single wing,  so  also liked  UCLA--beiieve  #1  in 54.  Coached by Red Sanders--who    died like Nelson  Rock==heart attack with mistress.

Just thought of another  bizarre LA  name-Cleveland.  Also  has  Wilson.  Few Adams  Jr Highs--no Jackson,  Surprised LA  has no Pierce  or Tyler. Grin Grin Grin Grin
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #64 on: January 15, 2018, 03:02:46 AM »

Rite-Joe  why I liked SC  too.  Jaguar Jon  Arnett--dont recall  many others from then--but McKeever twins. 

Great trivia--whose HS  (ManualArts),college (SC)  and pro team (Rams)  are all within walking  distance.  Arnett-has to  be only  pro  who  has that  history.

As an early fan  I loved the single wing,  so  also liked  UCLA--beiieve  #1  in 54.  Coached by Red Sanders--who    died like Nelson  Rock==heart attack with mistress.

Just thought of another  bizarre LA  name-Cleveland.  Also  has  Wilson.  Few Adams  Jr Highs--no Jackson,  Surprised LA  has no Pierce  or Tyler. Grin Grin Grin Grin
L.A. HAD an Andrew Jackson High School from 1936 to 1981 (when it was closed down).  Part of that campus is now Sunrise Ave. Elementary School, and the rest is planned to be a new middle school.  It is located in Boyle Heights, on 7th Street 5 blocks east of Soto Street.  They also have a Theodore Roosevelt, Woodrow Wilson, George Washington, Grover Cleveland, Abraham Lincoln, Thomas Jefferson and John C. Fremont High School.  It may not have a John Adams High School.  But it has a West Adams High School (indirectly named after him, as Adams Boulevard and the West Adams District was named after him.  It also has a Daniel Webster Middle School.

JoeC

« Reply #65 on: January 15, 2018, 08:19:34 AM »

Primo Villanueva -- great UCLA Single Wing TB in mid-50s. From Calexico down in the Imperial Valley. Followed by Ronnie Knox from SaMoHi and Billy Kilmer from Azusa.

The name Manual Arts HS seems to me to denote a non-college high school track/focus. With Arnett going to USC, gotta feeling I'm very wrong. ?? 
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #66 on: January 15, 2018, 12:31:05 PM »

The name Manual Arts HS seems to me to denote a non-college high school track/focus. With Arnett going to USC, gotta feeling I'm very wrong. ?? 
Yes, Manual Arts was originally aimed towards sending students to trade schools.  But, it was a regular high school by the time Arnett attended.

JoeC

« Reply #67 on: January 15, 2018, 01:00:10 PM »

Robb, your post made me want to see the list of their notable alumni. And, man, that list is long and impressive. From a Governor of California, to actors/directors, to a WWII fighter pilot ace, to a famous painter, and pro athletes in abundance in all sports.

The "demographics" today are reportedly 82% Hispanic enrollment, 18% African American. Literally only a trace of other races.
doctordoowop

« Reply #68 on: January 15, 2018, 04:31:05 PM »

Dont forget  one or more Penguins.Cleve?    Joe--Manual Arts--fairly  non-competitive.

Just came out with top  25 hoop teams in Scal today.  I'll  list for you.

Bishop  Montgomery
St John Bosco
Sierra  Canyon
Rancho  christian
Etiwanda
Westchester
SAna mater Dei
Crespi
Harvard-W
Fairfax
Eastvale Roosevelt
Santa maragarita
st anthony
LosAltos
Oak  Park
St Bernard
Anaheim Canyon
Corona Centennial
Damien
Dominguez
Mayfair
JW North
Elcamino
Birmingham
Cathedral

As far  as I can tell-only Fairfax  &  Westchester only  public HS  in  LA  city  (urban  area )--El Camino &  Birmingham in SFValley. 
About 13 are  private-and many more  east of La in Riverside  area--with 4-5 million people--LA  has only  4  teams. Not sure where Mayfair is.

The CIF  foolishly allows unlimited  transfers-hence  the  relative  demise of  public schools-espLA.

JoeC

« Reply #69 on: January 15, 2018, 05:37:35 PM »

As you say, a lotta Catholic HS on that list. Same here in DC and Baltimore. Public HS just don't have the resources anymore, especially in football. Several DC HS gave up football because couldn't afford helmets and uniforms. Those in the poorest areas.

My son had a basketball player roommate one year at Ariz State from Etiwanda HS. Think that's somewhere out in the San Berdoo or Riverside area. 
doowopbob

« Reply #70 on: January 15, 2018, 07:00:30 PM »

Etiwanda is east of Los Angeles

Music is great to dance with my mate.  We lurk and yodel if we stay up too late. So bring on the Doo Wop so I can dance and lurk while yodeling with my mate.
JoeC

« Reply #71 on: January 15, 2018, 07:13:56 PM »

Etiwanda is east of Los Angeles

Well, that would cover Berdoo or Riverside, no?
doowopbob

« Reply #72 on: January 15, 2018, 08:07:03 PM »

Yes, of course, what was I thinking

Music is great to dance with my mate.  We lurk and yodel if we stay up too late. So bring on the Doo Wop so I can dance and lurk while yodeling with my mate.
doctordoowop

« Reply #73 on: January 15, 2018, 10:34:26 PM »

Etiwanda,  Corona, Los  Altos all+  maybe a couple  more  East of LA--60-70miles.   Many  blacks have exited LA  --headed  East-1st Pomona then  farther.  I have seen those teams--pretty"athletic" --a sports code word usually for black.

All those  Cath schools  are very generous with scholarship $$$$--u have a better  chance getting a scholarship if  u can dunk & hit 3s,  sadly than  being a math-chemistry whiz.
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #74 on: January 16, 2018, 12:35:21 AM »

Dont forget  one or more Penguins.Cleve?    Joe--Manual Arts--fairly  non-competitive.

Just came out with top  25 hoop teams in Scal today.  I'll  list for you.

Bishop  Montgomery
St John Bosco
Sierra  Canyon
Rancho  christian
Etiwanda
Westchester
SAna mater Dei
Crespi
Harvard-W
Fairfax
Eastvale Roosevelt
Santa maragarita
st anthony
LosAltos
Oak  Park
St Bernard
Anaheim Canyon
Corona Centennial
Damien
Dominguez
Mayfair
JW North
Elcamino
Birmingham
Cathedral

As far  as I can tell-only Fairfax  &  Westchester only  public HS  in  LA  city  (urban  area )--El Camino &  Birmingham in SFValley. 
About 13 are  private-and many more  east of La in Riverside  area--with 4-5 million people--LA  has only  4  teams. Not sure where Mayfair is.
The CIF  foolishly allows unlimited  transfers-hence  the  relative  demise of  public schools-espLA.
Most of The San Fernando Valley is within the boundaries of The City of Los Angeles.  Only Burbank and San Fernando are not (they are separate cities). The Los Angeles City portion of The San Fernando Valley is certainly urban.So, El Camino, Birmingham, Fairfax and Westchester are all L.A. City schools.  I think Dominguez H.S. is, as well.  The demise of The Los Angeles Unified School District (and other big city districts across USA) is due to the wealthy interests desiring that education become privatised, and the upper middle and middle-middle class parents are taking their children out of big city schools and sending them to private charter schools.

JoeC

« Reply #75 on: January 16, 2018, 08:42:09 AM »

Dominguez HS is on the east side of Compton. You could field an NBA All-star team with their grads.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 08:47:14 AM by JoeC » Logged
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #76 on: January 16, 2018, 11:30:55 PM »

Dominguez HS is on the east side of Compton. You could field an NBA All-star team with their grads.
You could do the same with graduates of Compton High and Compton's Centennial High.

Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: