DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2018, 07:24:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
ATTENTION:
NO COMMERCIAL SITES OR LINKS TO COMMERCIAL SITES ALLOWED ON THIS FORUM. IF YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO SELL,
ie, CLOTHES, RECORDS, FURNTURE, ETC. DON'T DO IT HERE. THE URL WILL BE DELETED...  Mike Paladino
77471 Posts in 7022 Topics by 192 Members
Latest Member: doowopbob
* Home Help Login Register
+  DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
|-+  OT - OFF TOPIC TOPICS :-)
| |-+  Off Topic Stuff
| | |-+  Professional Athletes who were also recording artists
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Professional Athletes who were also recording artists  (Read 2140 times)
doctordoowop

« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2018, 03:03:28 PM »

I remember  when a reporter  asked his  trainer  Angelo  Dundee  what he thought about  Ali changing his name--  loved  his answer--" U think Dundee is my real name?" Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
JoeC

« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2018, 05:26:51 PM »

I remember  when a reporter  asked his  trainer  Angelo  Dundee  what he thought about  Ali changing his name--  loved  his answer--" U think Dundee is my real name?" Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Good answer from Dundee. Real name: Angelo Mirena. Originally, from South Philly. Learned his trade at the legendary Stillman's Gym, a couple blocks from the old MSG on 8th Avenue & 50th St.

Started in the mid 50s as a corner man for one of my fave fighters, Carmen Basilio.   
doctordoowop

« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2018, 11:44:11 PM »

I love Basilio--very  tough   guy  from  upstate NY.  Saw his fites  w/Sugar Ray w/my pop  in  pay for view  movie theaters.

His brother, Chris Dundee,  was  a promoter as I recall.
JoeC

« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2018, 09:10:16 AM »

I remember Carmen from the fights that used to be on network TV sponsored by Gillette. IIRC, had a couple memorable bouts with Gene Fullmer. Another I recall against the LA fighter, Art Aragon.

Only 5'6 or 5'7, Basilio fought as both a Welterweight and a Middleweight. Could really take a punch. Not a real powerful puncher himself; relied on lightning fast combinations.
Shandy

Manhattan Lifer, Chelsea

« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2018, 02:35:01 PM »

Does talking on vinyl count?  "I Love Mickey" - Teresa Brewer and Mickey Mantel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UJPmdL9T10

"The small man builds prisons for everyone he meets, but the wise woman ducks under the moon and tosses keys to the beautiful and rowdy prisoners."  Hafiz

"Intelligence is a lot less powerful when everyone knows you have it."  Unknown
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2018, 03:13:10 PM »

Does talking on vinyl count?  "I Love Mickey" - Teresa Brewer and Mickey Mantel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UJPmdL9T10
Do you mean Mickey Mantle?  I guess you could call him a "recording artist", as he did say something on that record.  I doubt we could call him a singer.

Shandy

Manhattan Lifer, Chelsea

« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2018, 04:41:46 PM »

Robb - You're in nitpicking mode, once again.  Yes, I did mean Mickey Mantle.!  Sorry that my typo caused you confusion. You should doubt using the royal term "we".
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 04:57:09 PM by Shandy » Logged

"The small man builds prisons for everyone he meets, but the wise woman ducks under the moon and tosses keys to the beautiful and rowdy prisoners."  Hafiz

Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2018, 07:46:28 PM »

Robb - You're in nitpicking mode, once again.  Yes, I did mean Mickey Mantle.!  Sorry that my typo caused you confusion. You should doubt using the royal term "we".
No offence intended.  I knew it was a typo.  No New Yorker who was alive when Mickey played would misspell his name.  I just thought it was funny.  My grandmother called him "Mickey Mandel" (a "Nice Jewish Boy").  "Mandel" means "almond" in Yiddish and German.

doowopbob

« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2018, 10:04:50 PM »

Who's Mickey Mantle?HuhHuhHuh

Silence is golden
doctordoowop

« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2018, 10:53:53 PM »

Knew Aragon--a bit  punchy  but nice.  Had a big  Bail  Bond  co.  next to  LA  Cty  jail-where OJ lived. Original Golden Boy--but  was  afraid of fites w/NY,Philly guys.
JoeC

« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2018, 09:03:46 AM »

Knew Aragon--a bit  punchy  but nice.  Had a big  Bail  Bond  co.  next to  LA  Cty  jail-where OJ lived. Original Golden Boy--but  was  afraid of fites w/NY,Philly guys.

He used to fight at the old Olympic Auditorium and the long-gone Hollywood Legion Stadium. Speaking of the Olympic Auditorium (wonder if it still exists?), think it also used to host R&B shows in the early to mid 1950s. Not sure where it was located although my recollection is in the neighborhood north of USC.

Aragon supposedly dated many of the most beautiful movie stars and starlets of the day. Big buddy of Audie Murphy (Audie gave him several roles in his war pictures). Been fascinated with bail bondsmen ever since the Tarantino flick "Jackie Brown." 
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2018, 11:06:12 AM »

He used to fight at the old Olympic Auditorium and the long-gone Hollywood Legion Stadium. Speaking of the Olympic Auditorium (wonder if it still exists?), think it also used to host R&B shows in the early to mid 1950s. Not sure where it was located although my recollection is in the neighborhood north of USC.

Aragon supposedly dated many of the most beautiful movie stars and starlets of the day. Big buddy of Audie Murphy (Audie gave him several roles in his war pictures). Been fascinated with bail bondsmen ever since the Tarantino flick "Jackie Brown." 
It was north of USC, but also east of it, nearer to Downtown.  I think it was between Hoover and Figueroa on Washington.

JoeC

« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2018, 02:46:17 PM »

Robb, that sounds right. Probably condemned when they built the 10 Freeway through that area.

What was it, back in the day, that all these American Legion Posts had "stadiums?" There was the Hollywood Legion Stadium (originally outdoors but later with a roof over it) and the famous (to us anyway) El Monte Legion Stadium. Probably others I'd guess. Imagine they erected these places as money-makers, putting on events in them.
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2018, 06:33:31 PM »

Robb, that sounds right. Probably condemned when they built the 10 Freeway through that area.

What was it, back in the day, that all these American Legion Posts had "stadiums?" There was the Hollywood Legion Stadium (originally outdoors but later with a roof over it) and the famous (to us anyway) El Monte Legion Stadium. Probably others I'd guess. Imagine they erected these places as money-makers, putting on events in them.
Yes, they put on lots of shows and meetings, but also had sports events.  Isn't that where The American Legion Baseball leagues played?  A LOT of the pro baseball players played American Legion ball before.

JoeC

« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2018, 07:21:23 PM »

Here's a piece (edited for size) from the El Monte Legion Stadium website:

Art Laboe, a noted local radio disc jockey, stated simply, “Concerts started at El Monte because the laws were different in the county than they were in the City.” In particular, rules restricting underage gatherings did not exist in the county, which permitted Laboe and other disc jockeys and promoters to host rock ’n’ roll shows for teenagers. Similarly, relaxed legislation also benefited other venues, including Rainbow Gardens and the Long Beach Municipal Auditorium; the latter competed with the Legion Stadium in size and reputation.

Angelenos’ experience of life in Greater Los Angeles – a network of suburbs connected by freeways – encouraged young people to drive from their homes to county dance hall sites. Located approximately fifteen miles east of downtown Los Angeles and accessible by the main traffic arteries in the region, El Monte drew a diverse clientele from all ends of the Southland. Recalling the racial and class composition of audiences, Art Laboe commented: “White kids from Beverly Hills, black kids from Compton, and local Chicano kids used to come out to our shows every weekend.”
Shandy

Manhattan Lifer, Chelsea

« Reply #45 on: January 12, 2018, 03:21:58 PM »

"Say Hey" (The Willie Mays Song) - Willie Mays and the Treniers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFT1TcT5YQo
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 05:42:14 PM by Shandy » Logged

Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #46 on: January 12, 2018, 05:08:10 PM »

"Say Hey" (The Willie Mays Song) - Willie Mays and the Treniers
The (Singing) Wanderers sang ""Say Hey!  Willie Mays" on Savoy in 1954.  But, I don't remember Willie talking or singing on that one.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 12:45:55 PM by Robb_K » Logged

DJ Big Jack
Administrator

BOO !

« Reply #47 on: January 12, 2018, 05:56:53 PM »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Olympic_Auditorium

JoeC

« Reply #48 on: January 12, 2018, 06:17:58 PM »

Thanks Jack. Too bad they didn't get a Wiki contributor who could've listed some of the 50s R&B acts they speak of.
doctordoowop

« Reply #49 on: January 12, 2018, 07:02:57 PM »

Joe--Olympic  still  there  . Across  the SM FWY  from Staples.  I can correct  Robb--East of the 110, or 11(Harbor)  as it was originally. Hooover & Fig are west of the 110.

Named    for the  1932  LA  olympics.  Not sure wat used fornow.Nomusic,no sports?
JoeC

« Reply #50 on: January 12, 2018, 08:33:13 PM »

Joe--Olympic  still  there  . Across  the SM FWY  from Staples.  I can correct  Robb--East of the 110, or 11(Harbor)  as it was originally. Hooover & Fig are west of the 110.

Named    for the  1932  LA  olympics.  Not sure wat used fornow.Nomusic,no sports?

From what Jack posted -- "In June 2005, the Glory Church of Jesus Christ, a Korean-American Christian church, purchased the entire property, thus the name Grand Olympic Auditorium ceased to exist."

Sounds like it might still be a church.
doctordoowop

« Reply #51 on: January 12, 2018, 08:47:26 PM »

Prob so- sounds  right.

They alsobid for Walter Ward's  group.
doowopbob

« Reply #52 on: January 12, 2018, 10:38:36 PM »

gelenos’ experience of life in Greater Los Angeles – a network of suburbs connected by freeways – encouraged young people to drive from their homes to county dance hall sites. Located approximately fifteen miles east of downtown Los Angeles and accessible by the main traffic arteries in the region, El Monte drew a diverse clientele from all ends of the Southland. Recalling the racial and class composition of audiences, Art Laboe commented: “White kids from Beverly Hills, black kids from Compton, and local Chicano kids used to come out to our shows every weekend.”

Of course he didn't dare say that white kids WERE NOT WELCOME at El Monte Legion Stadium!!!!!  I went twice and the second time saw a white kid make the mistake of asking a Chicana to dance and then watched in horror as he was drug out of the building covered in blood, he had crossed a line we whites weren't supposed to cross.

Silence is golden
Shandy

Manhattan Lifer, Chelsea

« Reply #53 on: January 13, 2018, 08:16:06 AM »

I only know the version by The Singing Wanderers on Decca from '54, and Willie isn't on it.

Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #54 on: January 13, 2018, 12:48:13 PM »

I only know the version by The Singing Wanderers on Decca from '54, and Willie isn't on it.
Yes, I forgot they were called "The Singing Wanderers" on that release.

JoeC

« Reply #55 on: January 13, 2018, 01:03:31 PM »

gelenos’ experience of life in Greater Los Angeles – a network of suburbs connected by freeways – encouraged young people to drive from their homes to county dance hall sites. Located approximately fifteen miles east of downtown Los Angeles and accessible by the main traffic arteries in the region, El Monte drew a diverse clientele from all ends of the Southland. Recalling the racial and class composition of audiences, Art Laboe commented: “White kids from Beverly Hills, black kids from Compton, and local Chicano kids used to come out to our shows every weekend.”

Of course he didn't dare say that white kids WERE NOT WELCOME at El Monte Legion Stadium!!!!!  I went twice and the second time saw a white kid make the mistake of asking a Chicana to dance and then watched in horror as he was drug out of the building covered in blood, he had crossed a line we whites weren't supposed to cross.

Interesting, Bob. Also, wasn't Compton still predominantly white back in the 50's? Changing, but still not exactly a black ghetto?
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #56 on: January 13, 2018, 02:00:45 PM »

Interesting, Bob. Also, wasn't Compton still predominantly white back in the 50's? Changing, but still not exactly a black ghetto?
Yes, Compton was still predominantly "White" during the early '50s.

doctordoowop

« Reply #57 on: January 13, 2018, 02:12:33 PM »

2  most famous whites from Compton--Duke, and Pete  Rozelle.

A  fews yrs  I recall reading  wen  Compton celebrated being over 50% Hispanic.  South Central now  South La, &  Watts  (old time  65 riot etc.,) now gone. Cry Cry Cry Cry
doowopbob

« Reply #58 on: January 13, 2018, 11:20:24 PM »

I attended Compton Community College as an evening student from 1973 to 1975, predominantly black.  Most evening student males were like me, using our G.I. Bill from Vietnam service, trying to better ourselves.  Not one racial incident my entire two years at the school.  My wife and young daughter bought books for me one time during the day and she was a little concerned as she and our daughter stood out like sore thumbs.  I would give Compton CC an A in their education program.  My Counselor was former L.A. Rams running back Art Perkins, what a neat guy.

Silence is golden
doctordoowop

« Reply #59 on: January 14, 2018, 02:32:06 AM »

I remember  50s-60s Rams well-dont   recall Perkins.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: