DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 10, 2018, 02:15:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
ATTENTION:
NO COMMERCIAL SITES OR LINKS TO COMMERCIAL SITES ALLOWED ON THIS FORUM. IF YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO SELL,
ie, CLOTHES, RECORDS, FURNTURE, ETC. DON'T DO IT HERE. THE URL WILL BE DELETED...  Mike Paladino
79114 Posts in 7100 Topics by 95 Members
Latest Member: doctordoowop
* Home Help Login Register
+  DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
|-+  OT - OFF TOPIC TOPICS :-)
| |-+  Off Topic Stuff
| | |-+  Zeppo Marx
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Zeppo Marx  (Read 4449 times)
doctordoowop

« on: December 23, 2017, 12:47:28 PM »

As a Marx  Bros  fanatic  just  read   about    Zeppo's  amazing involvement  in  the bombing of Hiroshoma.

No joke --real--  w/o searching,  anybody know  what  the connection is??
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2017, 01:08:47 PM »

As a Marx  Bros  fanatic  just  read   about    Zeppo's  amazing involvement  in  the bombing of Hiroshoma.
No joke --real--  w/o searching,  anybody know  what  the connection is??

Groucho Marx has always been my favourite comedian.  I know that Zeppo and Gummo were both inventors, holding US patents.  Zeppo st up Marman Products, which had a contract with The US Government, to manufacture implements to secure cargo during transport (i.e. "The Marman Clamp" -which held cylindrical tanks together).  I can only assume that The Clamp was used on The Enola Gay and other plane, to hold The Atomic Bombs dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki to some part of the cabin, to hold them fast, to keep them from detonating while inside the airplane.

doctordoowop

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2017, 02:13:24 PM »

Robb-correct!   Fantastic.   It was  clamps or  whatever called that held the bombs  in the  planes.

I liked him  in  his  5  Paramount  movies.  But being an agent paid off--Barbara Marx etc. Grin Grin Grin Grin

bklynmike101

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2017, 02:56:54 PM »

Marx Bros/Groucho my favorite too. Incredibly inventive (and funny) back in the day. Also, Groucho did a lot of ad-libbing on You Bet Your Life - a true comedic talent.
doctordoowop

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2017, 03:22:48 PM »

Very musically talented  too-Groucho  ukelele-guitar/---sing & dance.  Zeppo  sing.

Chico--piano &  of course Adolph  on harp.
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2017, 05:38:23 PM »

Very musically talented  too-Groucho  ukelele-guitar/---sing & dance.  Zeppo  sing.

Chico--piano &  of course Adolph  on harp.
"Gummo" was Milton, "Chico" was Leonard, "Groucho" was Julius, and "Zeppo" was Herbert.  Yes, "Harpo" was Adolph.

doctordoowop

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2017, 01:38:02 AM »

Adolph  became  Arthur,  and Chicko(loved girls)  morphed into  the more italian Chico.
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2017, 01:59:20 PM »

Adolph  became  Arthur,  and Chicko(loved girls)  morphed into  the more italian Chico.

Yes.  I wonder why Chico chose to act like an Italian in their act.Their mother was from Alsace, and had a thick Alsation German accent, and their father's family had come from Hesse (The Rhineland).  Groucho had a wonderful Alsatian accent, he used in pretending to be a German doctor or professor.  The Alsatian German dialect is even more funny and dramatic than the overdramatic and "hammy" Sweitzertuutsch (Swiss German).  Groucho overexaggerated his mother's brother's accent, to develop that.

doctordoowop

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2017, 09:20:48 PM »

I SHOULD  know that-   but dont.  Why Eyetalian--no sais.
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2017, 09:24:47 PM »

I SHOULD  know that-   but dont.  Why Eyetalian--no sais.
Why should you know that?  I don't think he ever talked publicly about how he came to that decision.  Were you a friend of the family?

JoeC

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2017, 02:53:41 PM »

When Zeppo lived in Rancho Mirage in the 1970s, supposedly his phone number was listed in the local directory. Died of lung cancer at the end of that decade.
doctordoowop

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2017, 07:32:12 PM »

Only because i've  READ  countless books about them--I guess it  was  never detailled.  Interestingly  Groucho  always claimed that Zeppo was the funniest.

Did  he ever perform,  or  on camera, radio etc. after. Duck Soup?
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2017, 09:43:07 PM »

Only because i've  READ  countless books about them--I guess it  was  never detailled.  Interestingly  Groucho  always claimed that Zeppo was the funniest.

Did  he ever perform,  or  on camera, radio etc. after. Duck Soup?

I don't believe so.  He had quit the act.  He was their agent, but didn't rejoin them when they made their last film to pay Chico's debts.  He DID make an appearance on Groucho's "You Bet Your Life" on TV.  But, I wouldn't really call that "performing", any more than what Ed Sulli8van did could be called "performing".

doctordoowop

« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2017, 09:55:39 PM »

Really?  Love to see that.   Is  it on YT?   Harpo  did  too, as well  as Groucho's  daughter-"Why cant she join the (Christian)Jonathan Club?  She 'll only go in up to her waist?
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2017, 10:29:58 PM »

Really?  Love to see that.   Is  it on YT?   Harpo  did  too, as well  as Groucho's  daughter-"Why cant she join the (Christian)Jonathan Club?  She 'll only go in up to her waist?

Yes, I'm pretty sure that that episode is on You-tube.

By the way, I bought Melinda Marx's 45 on VJ Records, when it was out in 1964, as I tried almost all VJ's, and I'm such a fan of Groucho.  I don't like it much, but I've never been able to get rid of it for "loyalty" reasons, like I do for most Pop rejects.  In any case, I only paid about 5? for it in a thrift store.

JoeC

« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2017, 09:06:03 AM »

Zeppo was living pretty well in hs old age. Had a house on one of the fairways of the Tamarisk County Club in Rancho Mirage, and was able to pay a decent alimony to his ex-wife. Think his money came from a variety of businesses, especially his military parts machining business (which made, among other things, the clamps to hold the A-Bombs destined for Hiroshima and Nagasaki in place on the bombing run to Japan).

Groucho said his name came from the Zeppelin aircraft; Harpo said from a trained chimp in Vaudeville called "Mr Zippo."
doctordoowop

« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2017, 02:29:20 PM »

Searched-not on YT.
Shandy
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2017, 08:58:41 PM »

Robb - Making fun of Italian immigrants was "en vogue" for a long time.
doctordoowop

« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2017, 11:16:30 PM »

Best  I can find  is  that Chico  did  that accent  to  avoid fites as a kid. Cry Cry I agree more with Shandy.
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2017, 11:37:14 PM »

Robb - Making fun of Italian immigrants was "en vogue" for a long time.

Especially poor, uneducated Sicilians.  Just like the poor, uneducated, heavy drinking Irish.  What a weird ensemble The marx Brothers' Vaudeville act had - A wiseguy, an Italian, a mute, and a straight man!  They should have added Gummo in Blackface, and if their first brother had lived, he could have been "the cripple".

Shandy
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2017, 01:35:19 PM »

I hear ya, Robb, those were the times.  A Chinese guy could have filled the bill, too Angry
JoeC

« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2017, 06:32:09 PM »

As a kid, I knew Groucho Marx from "You Bet Your Life." The Marx Bros, not so much.  As a comedy act comprised of brothers, I - like many kids watching TV in the 50s -  knew only the Three Stooges. I had no one to tell me the Marx Bros were "A List" stars, the Stooges "C listers." Big difference I came to see was the Marx Brios were four separate personalities playing off each other; whereas the Stooges were, as one critic I put it, "variations of one idiot."

doctordoowop

« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2017, 09:35:47 PM »

TheStooges  were why I never watched Officer Joe  Bolton.
JoeC

« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2017, 10:01:40 PM »

TheStooges  were why I never watched Officer Joe  Bolton.

Aah, the good old days of WPIX, Channel 11 at 5 pm. Joe Bolton was also the station's weatherman, if I'm not mistaken. Didn't he carry a police baton on the show and sort of flip it out and in like cops are wont to do, using the leather thong at the end of the thing? He also hosted The Little Rascals, and Dick Tracy cartoons. I liked both of those shows, the latter with villains like Flattop and Mumbles, Oodles, Wormy, etc.
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2017, 11:27:30 PM »

Where did "The Officer Joe Bolton Show" air?   New York/ Northern New Jersey Metro Area?

JoeC

« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2017, 09:34:42 AM »

Where did "The Officer Joe Bolton Show" air?   New York/ Northern New Jersey Metro Area?

Yes. Tri-State area only (NY/NJ/CT) within range of the transmitter. NYC, in the 50s, had this station lineup:

Ch 2 - WCBS
Ch 4 - WNBT (later changed to WNBC)
Ch 5 - WABD (Dumont network; Fox network today)
Ch 7 - WABC
Ch 9 - WOR (Independent Local)
Ch 11 - WPIX (Independent Local)
Ch 13 - Educational (forerunner of PBS) Can't remember the call letters

Channels 9 and 11 ran the Yankees/Giants and Dodgers, old movies, kids shows (like Bolton's), and interview shows. (Joe Franklin). Channel 11 did have a lo-tech news operation.

Here's a few stills of Bolton. A couple seconds gives you the picture. Where that annoying music came from I don't know. Had nothing to do with the channel or Bolton's show. He looks the role of an Irish NYC cop of the 50's, no?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XG0nMVEDdU&index=5&list=PL3N6RbLvNZGBAP75Nu7kTOnu9VYF1izkp
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 09:36:16 AM by JoeC » Logged
doctordoowop

« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2017, 12:43:20 PM »

13 was  WNET.   I think Joe  wore police outfit--in blue--hard  to see on my B&W  TV.  Grin Grin Grin I preferred  Gabby  Hayes-w/Cassidy  & Buster Crabbe  announcing himself as Rogers or  Gordon.
JoeC

« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2017, 08:50:46 PM »

Doctor, did u watch a lot of Channel 13? I'd never have come up with those call letters in a million years. In the video clip, Bolton is indeed wearing a blue police uniform. I suspect the NYPD looked favorably on him and that uniform was likely real, including the badge.

Out in LA, from reading I've done, the LAPD considered Jack Webb to be like an auxilliary officer. Lotta backside kissing on the part of Webb and the Department. Did you ever see the movie "LA Confidential" (based on one of James Ellroy's books) about policing in LA in the early 50s. If you haven't seen it, think you'd enjoy -- if for nothing else, the many LA references.
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2017, 09:34:20 PM »

Doctor, did u watch a lot of Channel 13? I'd never have come up with those call letters in a million years. In the video clip, Bolton is indeed wearing a blue police uniform. I suspect the NYPD looked favorably on him and that uniform was likely real, including the badge.

Out in LA, from reading I've done, the LAPD considered Jack Webb to be like an auxilliary officer. Lotta backside kissing on the part of Webb and the Department. Did you ever see the movie "LA Confidential" (based on one of James Ellroy's books) about policing in LA in the early 50s. If you haven't seen it, think you'd enjoy -- if for nothing else, the many LA references.

Jack Webb was probably the worst actor that ever lived.  He made John Agar look like an Oscar winner!  Webb was in Ed Sullivan's class.

JoeC

« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2017, 10:09:15 PM »

Jack Webb was probably the worst actor that ever lived.  He made John Agar look like an Oscar winner!  Webb was in Ed Sullivan's class.

He was stiff. Walked stiff, talked stiff ...
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: