DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 16, 2018, 11:47:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
ATTENTION:
NO COMMERCIAL SITES OR LINKS TO COMMERCIAL SITES ALLOWED ON THIS FORUM. IF YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO SELL,
ie, CLOTHES, RECORDS, FURNTURE, ETC. DON'T DO IT HERE. THE URL WILL BE DELETED...  Mike Paladino
79018 Posts in 7095 Topics by 95 Members
Latest Member: doctordoowop
* Home Help Login Register
+  DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
|-+  OT - OFF TOPIC TOPICS :-)
| |-+  Off Topic Stuff
| | |-+  Zeppo Marx
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Zeppo Marx  (Read 3618 times)
doctordoowop

« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2017, 10:19:36 PM »

Good  friends with Tom Parker LAPD  chief  who  referred "real cases "to Webb.  I unfortunately  know why he walked that way. Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Liked Dragnet announcer Fenneman. 

Joe--WNET  was NYC  PBS  station.  Never  watched. I remember  thinking  how  smart NYC was  to put  PBS on 13, while LA  put it on 28.

Joe --check out  "Kiss  Me Deadly"   1955  film noir  with many LA  references.   Leachmans 1st.  Ralph Meeker as Spillane.

"Crime  Wave" around   same time  shot  all over LA --great Sterling Hayden.
JoeC

« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2017, 09:38:36 AM »

I will check those films out. I love noir books and movies.

Won't ask about Webb's walk. Too early in the morning and I just had breakfast.

Several characters on Dragnet were real people whose true names were used. The two I'm thinking of were the Forensics Lab supervisor, the legendary Ray Pinker. And Capt (later Chief) Thad Brown. Brown and Pinker probably ate it up.

I love the old 1950s TV series of Dragnet but ... did you ever see the episode featuring a kid on LSD from the newer series, around 1967 I'd guess? The kid's character was called "Blue Boy" because under the influence he had painted his face blue.

I know LSD is mind-altering but the script had the kid saying and doing unbelievably ridiculous things -- very much Webb's and the adult writers' view of the 60s drug culture as FAR more horrible than it was. Sorta like the film "Reefer Madness" in the 30s. People on pot jumping off buildings, etc. Not that it doesn't happen but these anti-drug scripts were WAY over the top. Lost all credibility with their intended audience.
doctordoowop

« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2017, 02:49:15 PM »

Webb  did one great  piece  with Carson.  About  a copper clapper  caper from Cleveland. Very funny.
bklynmike101

« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2017, 03:21:48 PM »

When my dad gently tried to tell me he didn't think Officer Joe Bolton was a real policeman, I threw a fit in protest.  Roll Eyes

I too, was introduced to Groucho via You Bet Your Life well before discovering he had a "past" in show biz.

On a recent cruise, comedian John Mulrooney, a self-described Irishman from Brooklyn, did a fantastic job imitating and making fun of the accent of the ship's Italian captain. It was all good - Mulrooney also did comedic versions of his parents' Irish accents, as well as several other dialects and languages. Very funny.   
JoeC

« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2017, 05:48:31 PM »

Webb  did one great  piece  with Carson.  About  a copper clapper  caper from Cleveland. Very funny.

Ever see the 50s movie starring Webb called "The D.I." As in Drill Instructor. Watch this clip for a barrel of laughs. Unbelievable!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSCp8txMl-4

Here's a bonus, the aforementioned "Blue Boy" episode of Dragnet 67 (shortened to 5 minutes but gets my point across). Hilarious!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5iFVfwMnG4&t=1s
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 05:53:45 PM by JoeC » Logged
doctordoowop

« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2017, 08:53:47 PM »

Funny

https://youtu.be/jgYbogp1Ha0
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #36 on: December 31, 2017, 04:06:46 AM »

Yes.  And Webb actually did it well, and actually seemed to be human, rather than a robot.  Maybe he wasn'tthe worst actor in history, but he deliberately acted that way on the series?

doctordoowop

« Reply #37 on: December 31, 2017, 02:34:15 PM »

I think  he  acted  the  way he  THOUGHT  LAPD acted.   Unemotional ,  "just the facts mam etc."  At the time --1950s --LAPD  was one of best PDs  --not for many yrs, and not now.  They  let OJ, Blake & almost Spector get  off.

Webb did a  nice job  in a film noir from early 50s-that got him the Dragnet gig.

Remember the replays had a diffeRent  name--Badge 714.
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #38 on: December 31, 2017, 03:39:46 PM »

I think  he  acted  the  way he  THOUGHT  LAPD acted.   Unemotional ,  "just the facts mam etc."  At the time --1950s --LAPD  was one of best PDs  --not for many yrs, and not now.  They  let OJ, Blake & almost Spector get  off.
Webb did a  nice job  in a film noir from early 50s-that got him the Dragnet gig. Remember the replays had a diffeRent  name--Badge 714.

I saw his '40s and early '50s films.  He was pretty unemotional and seemed not a very good actor in those, as well.  My statement wasn't made just from watching "Dragnet".

doctordoowop

« Reply #39 on: December 31, 2017, 03:47:19 PM »

I agree-  I would never claim Webb  was a good actor.
Shandy
« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2018, 04:12:13 PM »

Webb's wooden demeanor was part of his character, he was stuck with it.  He was a very smart and funny guy and very into music.  Saw him interviewed more times than I can count and he was great at spoofing Dragnet.  He got it.
doctordoowop

« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2018, 01:43:54 AM »

He  was  funnier than most on Carson.
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2018, 12:51:28 PM »

He  was  funnier than most on Carson.

This might indicate that he was NOT a poor actor, but did such a good job on his first "hit" film (noir police crime drama) that he became type cast into that role for both films and TV, similar to what happened to great actors, Boris Karloff, Peter Lorre,
Bela Lugosi and Vincent Price, all of whom were minor stars in film genres other than "horror".

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: