DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 23, 2018, 08:38:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
ATTENTION:
NO COMMERCIAL SITES OR LINKS TO COMMERCIAL SITES ALLOWED ON THIS FORUM. IF YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO SELL,
ie, CLOTHES, RECORDS, FURNTURE, ETC. DON'T DO IT HERE. THE URL WILL BE DELETED...  Mike Paladino
77946 Posts in 7045 Topics by 192 Members
Latest Member: doowopbob
* Home Help Login Register
+  DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
|-+  OT - OFF TOPIC TOPICS :-)
| |-+  Off Topic Stuff
| | |-+  MLK Day
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: MLK Day  (Read 1168 times)
Shandy

Manhattan Lifer, Chelsea

« on: January 15, 2018, 03:18:48 PM »

I was involved in the Civil Rights Movement and was present at his most famous oratory (he made many).  He will have a place in my heart that no one will ever hold.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARvrvJV4th4

« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 03:25:23 PM by Shandy » Logged

"The small man builds prisons for everyone he meets, but the wise woman ducks under the moon and tosses keys to the beautiful and rowdy prisoners."  Hafiz

"Intelligence is a lot less powerful when everyone knows you have it."  Unknown
Shandy

Manhattan Lifer, Chelsea

« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2018, 03:21:18 PM »

Lots of beautiful music was made more well-known by The Movement.

"Gonna Let Nobody Turn Me Round" - Sweet Honey in the Rock
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPuBGcng6Tw

"This Little Light of Mine" - Soweto Gospel Choir

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yUK0S_cEXY

"Eyes on the Prize" - Sweet Honey in the Rock"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_tcZAqQUAg
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 03:34:38 PM by Shandy » Logged

"The small man builds prisons for everyone he meets, but the wise woman ducks under the moon and tosses keys to the beautiful and rowdy prisoners."  Hafiz

JoeC

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2018, 05:48:23 PM »

Wow, that's amazing. and so enviable -- a historical event like that! I watched it on TV out on Long Island.

Only musical performance from that day that "stuck" with me was Bob Dylan singing "Only A Pawn In Their Game." The "pawn" being Medgar Evers' killer. I was really into Dylan in his early days. His voice drove my parents up the wall. He surely was opposite pole from Sonny Til but ... hey, I liked his words (a lot) and his guitar strumming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pk_dt71ElwY
doowopbob

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2018, 06:59:16 PM »

Thank you for sharing Shandy.

Silence is golden
JoeC

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2018, 07:17:33 PM »

Shandy, you musta been pretty young.
Shandy

Manhattan Lifer, Chelsea

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2018, 01:43:34 AM »

Bob - TY4 caring, seems only you and one other do.  I'd like to make excuses, like "They weren't involved as much.", but the truth is I just don't get it.  Of course, being involved in The Movement earlier than the 13 I was when he made this speech, is something I don't share with many.  I'm glad I did with you Kiss

Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2018, 12:10:22 AM »

Bob - TY4 caring, seems only you and one other do.  I'd like to make excuses, like "They weren't involved as much.", but the truth is I just don't get it.  Of course, being involved in The Movement earlier than the 13 I was when he made this speech, is something I don't share with many.  I'm glad I did with you Kiss
I think more of us than you three do care about it.  I did.  And I do appreciate your posts above.  It's impressive that you were involved in the movement at 13.

doowopbob

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2018, 12:11:00 AM »

As Dionne, Stevie, Gladys and Elton said "that's what friends are for"

Silence is golden
doctordoowop

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2018, 12:45:24 AM »

When I was   13 I was learning to tie my shoes. Grin Grin Grin Grin
Shandy

Manhattan Lifer, Chelsea

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2018, 09:56:21 AM »

Robb - Happy to hear that you care as well Smiley

Bob -  Wink

Doc -  Grin

JoeC

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2018, 07:52:28 PM »

At the time, many pundits and people in general really expected that day to result in a race riot. Thankfully, it's remembered for the opposite.
doctordoowop

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2018, 01:11:02 AM »

Thanx  for understanding  my joke--but  at 13  I was a bit immature & terribly  hedonistic--which is hard with no $$$.  Delivered Newsday for about $8/week. I didn't know  Rev.Dr. King  from Laker guard  Jimmy King,or Eagle QB  King Hill.  But I recall where I was & what I was  doing  when  I heard the terrible news in April, 1968.
doowopbob

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2018, 04:28:08 AM »

I was in the Navy, stationed in San Diego when Reverend King was killed.

Silence is golden
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2018, 12:01:01 PM »

Thanx  for understanding  my joke--but  at 13  I was a bit immature & terribly  hedonistic--which is hard with no $$$.  Delivered Newsday for about $8/week. I didn't know  Rev.Dr. King  from Laker guard  Jimmy King,or Eagle QB  King Hill.  But I recall where I was & what I was  doing  when  I heard the terrible news in April, 1968.

I was in my senior year at UCLA.  I also worked part-time for John Dolphin's widow at Dolphin's of Hollywood Record stores (mainly the Crenshaw store, but sometimes, also at the original Vernon & Central and Manchester and Broadway stores). I also worked part time at my father's store in The Crenshaw Area, near Crenshaw and Jefferson.  So, I was in tune with what was happening in The African-American Community at that time.

If I remember correctly, I was in a lecture class, and someone standing outside the door, was listening to a transistor radio, and heard the announcement, and screamed "NOOOOOOOOOO!!!" really loudly, and then yelled out, "Martin Luther King has been shot!"
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 10:04:13 PM by Robb_K » Logged

bklynmike101

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2018, 12:15:01 PM »

I was in the staircase in-between periods, headed for my next class at Stuyvesant HS when I heard the news. And when JFK was shot, we got news as we sat down to English class in the day's next to last period (7th) at George Gershwin JHS when the news spread like wildfire. Both events ate etched in my memory.   
Shandy

Manhattan Lifer, Chelsea

« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2018, 01:34:36 PM »

doc - I hear ya, and nothing wrong with that.  At 10 I was a customer at Times and at 12 I was working there.  We all have our different journeys, some by choice and some by sheer luck or stupidity.  I had plenty of the "fools rush in" variety Smiley

I have completely blocked out the memory of where I was and how I heard of his murder Cry

JoeC

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2018, 01:48:06 PM »

Thanx  for understanding  my joke--but  at 13  I was a bit immature & terribly  hedonistic--which is hard with no $$$.  Delivered Newsday for about $8/week. I didn't know  Rev.Dr. King  from Laker guard  Jimmy King,or Eagle QB  King Hill.  But I recall where I was & what I was  doing  when  I heard the terrible news in April, 1968.

I was in my senior year at UCLA.  I also worked part-time for John Dolphin's widow at Dolphin's of Hollywood Record stores (mainly the Crenshaw store, but sometimes, also at the original Vernon & Central and Manchester and Broadway stores). I also worked part time at my father's store in The Crenshaw Area, near Crenshaw and Jefferson.  So, I was in tune with what was happening in The African-American Community at that time.

If I remember correctly, I was in a lecture class, and someone standing outside the door, was listening to a transistor radio, and heard the announcement, and screamed "NOOOOOOOOOO!!!" really loudly, and then yelled out, "Martin Luther King has been shot!"

Stay in Westwood that night?
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2018, 09:55:35 PM »

Stay in Westwood that night?

No,  I lived in West L.A. about 2 miles away.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: