DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 25, 2018, 12:47:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
ATTENTION:
NO COMMERCIAL SITES OR LINKS TO COMMERCIAL SITES ALLOWED ON THIS FORUM. IF YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO SELL,
ie, CLOTHES, RECORDS, FURNTURE, ETC. DON'T DO IT HERE. THE URL WILL BE DELETED...  Mike Paladino
76534 Posts in 6993 Topics by 192 Members
Latest Member: doowopbob
* Home Help Login Register
+  DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
|-+  OT - OFF TOPIC TOPICS :-)
| |-+  Off Topic Stuff
| | |-+  Greeting Cards
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Greeting Cards  (Read 182 times)
Shandy

Manhattan Lifer, Chelsea

« on: February 11, 2018, 09:46:48 AM »

Time/Warner, who owns Atlantic, has teamed up with Hallmark Greeting Cards.  Staring with Valentine's Day, they are including an Atlantic 45 in their cards.

https://corporate.hallmark.com/news-article/hallmark-introduces-first-ever-vinyl-record-greeting-cards/

"The small man builds prisons for everyone he meets, but the wise woman ducks under the moon and tosses keys to the beautiful and rowdy prisoners."  Hafiz

"From childhood's hour I have not been as other were - have not seen as others saw - I could not drink(sic) my passions from a common stream.
doctordoowop

« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2018, 12:16:50 PM »

Wonder if  they'll put any Valentine records in there.
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2018, 01:39:34 PM »

They should give out mint, original yellow 45s from 600-900!  Including all the unreleased numbers filled in from the master tapes!  Grin
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 05:28:02 PM by Robb_K » Logged

Shandy

Manhattan Lifer, Chelsea

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2018, 02:01:20 PM »

Robb - Back up the truck!!!!!

"The small man builds prisons for everyone he meets, but the wise woman ducks under the moon and tosses keys to the beautiful and rowdy prisoners."  Hafiz

"From childhood's hour I have not been as other were - have not seen as others saw - I could not drink(sic) my passions from a common stream.
JoeC

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2018, 08:32:40 PM »

Need some education. I know the yellow label Atlantic series Robb mentioned (from the 40s and early 50s). But ... IIRC, they made yellow label records again in the mid-60s. Was that  a nostalgia thing (like throwback uniforms in sports?), or what? Anyone know how long that lasted?
doctordoowop

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2018, 09:07:08 PM »

Bet they put out "Sweets for My Sweet."

But prob we get the dreaded Under the Boardwalk.

The  latter was  one of  "banned " songs from DWS  of  So Cal  shows.  Other 3?   Little Darlin, Stand by Me,  and  Lion Sleeps Tonite"
Shandy

Manhattan Lifer, Chelsea

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2018, 09:30:39 PM »

"Think" and "Respect" by Aretha Franklin are two of the titles.

doctordoowop

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2018, 10:26:41 PM »

Yes-prob  1962  way too old.
Shandy

Manhattan Lifer, Chelsea

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2018, 10:28:31 PM »

doc - Are you addressing me with "way too old"?

Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2018, 11:09:59 PM »

Need some education. I know the yellow label Atlantic series Robb mentioned (from the 40s and early 50s). But ... IIRC, they made yellow label records again in the mid-60s. Was that  a nostalgia thing (like throwback uniforms in sports?), or what? Anyone know how long that lasted?
Yes that was a nostalgia series only for reprints of those releases that were originally yellow.  And they all had the "Atlantic Ball" on them, giving away that they are NOT originals, as that element was only started on red issues about at 2100 or so.

doctordoowop

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2018, 02:01:58 AM »

Shandy--too  old  referred  to  1962  Drifters.  Not u--but u knew  that. Grin Grin Grin Grin
JoeC

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2018, 09:00:07 AM »

Need some education. I know the yellow label Atlantic series Robb mentioned (from the 40s and early 50s). But ... IIRC, they made yellow label records again in the mid-60s. Was that  a nostalgia thing (like throwback uniforms in sports?), or what? Anyone know how long that lasted?
Yes that was a nostalgia series only for reprints of those releases that were originally yellow.  And they all had the "Atlantic Ball" on them, giving away that they are NOT originals, as that element was only started on red issues about at 2100 or so.

I dunno, Robb. This wouldn't seem to be a reprint from the old series. Huh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGBREYow29A
Shandy

Manhattan Lifer, Chelsea

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2018, 02:23:11 PM »

doc - I'm ashamed to admit that I needed to be assured Embarrassed

Gino

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2018, 04:25:14 PM »

Joe -

That one's a European (French, I think) pressing.  The "BIEM" gives it away.

"Grease for Peace!!"
Gino
JoeC

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2018, 05:19:48 PM »

Thanks a lot. I said I needed me some educating!
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2018, 08:39:55 PM »

Need some education. I know the yellow label Atlantic series Robb mentioned (from the 40s and early 50s). But ... IIRC, they made yellow label records again in the mid-60s. Was that  a nostalgia thing (like throwback uniforms in sports?), or what? Anyone know how long that lasted?
Yes that was a nostalgia series only for reprints of those releases that were originally yellow.  And they all had the "Atlantic Ball" on them, giving away that they are NOT originals, as that element was only started on red issues about at 2100 or so.
I dunno, Robb. This wouldn't seem to be a reprint from the old series. Huh
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGBREYow29A[/quote]
A yellow Atlantic series of reprints of Stax Records, which never before were released on Atlantic???  I never saw THAT particular yellow series before.

JoeC

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2018, 05:38:09 PM »

Well, as Lou said above, perhaps released in France only? The BIEM mark?

Then again, saw "Sookie Sookie" by Don Covay on a yellow Atlantic label. Released in 1966. He was on many different labels but ... not Stax/Volt to my knowledge.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 05:55:09 PM by JoeC » Logged
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2018, 07:48:39 PM »

Well, as Lou said above, perhaps released in France only? The BIEM mark?

Then again, saw "Sookie Sookie" by Don Covay on a yellow Atlantic label. Released in 1966. He was on many different labels but ... not Stax/Volt to my knowledge.
"Sookie Sookie" by Don Covay was originally on a red Atlantic.  Atlantic Records, which distributed Stax Records' releases from early 1962 through the late 1960s.  They wrote their contract with Stax such that they (Atlantic) kept the rights to re-issue those Stax cuts they acquired during their distribution period, in perpetuity.  Atlantic effectively "stole" the rights to those Stax recordings from the original producers and financiers of the recordings.  Stax should have hired a better lawyer.

JoeC

« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2018, 08:05:15 PM »

Interesting. I knew Covay did record some stuff at the Stax studio in Memphis. As an Atlantic artist.
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2018, 08:16:05 PM »

Interesting. I knew Covay did record some stuff at the Stax studio in Memphis. As an Atlantic artist.
Yes, as part of Atlantic's distribution agreement with Stax, they sent some of their artists, like Wilson Pickett, Don Covay, Sam & Dave and Aretha Franklin (who recorded almost nothing there, despite Atlantic's plans for her).

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: