DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2018, 01:30:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
ATTENTION:
NO COMMERCIAL SITES OR LINKS TO COMMERCIAL SITES ALLOWED ON THIS FORUM. IF YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO SELL,
ie, CLOTHES, RECORDS, FURNTURE, ETC. DON'T DO IT HERE. THE URL WILL BE DELETED...  Mike Paladino
77473 Posts in 7022 Topics by 192 Members
Latest Member: doowopbob
* Home Help Login Register
+  DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
|-+  OT - OFF TOPIC TOPICS :-)
| |-+  Off Topic Stuff
| | |-+  Kid Videos
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Kid Videos  (Read 560 times)
JoeC

« on: February 23, 2018, 05:01:49 PM »

Everybody loves videos of kids, right? Little Rascals and all. One of my favorites:

Sugar Chile Robinson    Caldonia   1946       Performance starts at 0:23   Vocals around 1:10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rcq93txBdtM
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 09:44:56 PM by JoeC » Logged
doctordoowop

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2018, 08:39:04 PM »

Great. Don't worry  Chile--those 2 other adults will  keep Van Johnson away.  Grin Grin Grin Grin
doctordoowop

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2018, 12:34:25 AM »

Cabin Kids

https://youtu.be/FUZNguDq14Q

The  girl in front  is the cutest  sweetie  I've ever seen.  Love way she  put her arm around her brother. The innocent things.

I actually  teared  up when I thought how tough their  life would  later be.
JoeC

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2018, 10:02:55 AM »

Great video. Loved it. What happened later?
JoeC

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2018, 04:10:20 PM »

Collins Kids  Hoy Hoy  1958   Watch Larry do his thing! Oklahomans relocated to Bell Gardens (a la Eddie Cochran)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfQ5W8QGvz8
« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 04:13:48 PM by JoeC » Logged
Shandy

Manhattan Lifer, Chelsea

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2018, 06:04:36 PM »

I'll Be Glad When Your Dead" - Sammy Davis Jr.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Im-H6ORoNm8

"The small man builds prisons for everyone he meets, but the wise woman ducks under the moon and tosses keys to the beautiful and rowdy prisoners."  Hafiz

"Intelligence is a lot less powerful when everyone knows you have it."  Unknown
JoeC

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2018, 06:18:54 PM »

Shandy, that's a gem. What a multi-talented guy.

Dancing was probably his best "talent" but acting, singing, impressions -- all great. Thought there were two tragedies in his life: (1) losing his eye, and; (2) choosing to hitch his wagon to the "Rat Pack." On the latter point, think if he had not been third fiddle in the Rat Pack, his talent would've stood out to far more people. He was too talented to be seen primarily as a Sinatra sidekick and occasional stooge.
doctordoowop

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2018, 09:52:04 PM »

Nothing  specific  Joe--just being black in the South in 1936. Big problems ahead.

3  of the Hall sisters  (real  name) did sing together into the early 40s.
JoeC

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2018, 10:20:35 PM »

Here's what being black in Hollywood in the 30s looked like (forget the South!!). Filmed at the old Hal Roach Studios (now torn down) at the corner of West Washington Blvd and National Blvd in Culver City.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nf9SkLYrWU
« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 10:27:44 PM by JoeC » Logged
Shandy

Manhattan Lifer, Chelsea

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2018, 07:34:29 PM »

JoeC I saw the same same song Sammy did on a TV clip and he was about four, but I couldn't find that one.  I agree, I fell in love with his dancing first.  I never saw Sammy as anyone's stooge.  Maybe because I thought so little of Sinatra.  Now Peter Lawford....what's wrong with this picture, lol.

"The small man builds prisons for everyone he meets, but the wise woman ducks under the moon and tosses keys to the beautiful and rowdy prisoners."  Hafiz

dead dog

Looking for The Echo

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2018, 08:05:59 PM »

Here's what being black in Hollywood in the 30s looked like (forget the South!!). Filmed at the old Hal Roach Studios (now torn down) at the corner of West Washington Blvd and National Blvd in Culver City.

If they did that today they would be called racist.

"Enjoy life to the fullest, as you never know when you will be asked to leave"
bklynmike101

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2018, 08:22:24 PM »

JoeC I saw the same same song Sammy did on a TV clip and he was about four, but I couldn't find that one.  I agree, I fell in love with his dancing first.  I never saw Sammy as anyone's stooge.  Maybe because I thought so little of Sinatra.  Now Peter Lawford....what's wrong with this picture, lol.

Personally, I've always found Peter Lawford to be very annoying - no particular reason. Sammy was extraordinarily talented in multiple dimensions - just about any aspect of performing. Frank was never my thing, but I get it.
JoeC

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2018, 09:19:30 PM »

JoeC I saw the same same song Sammy did on a TV clip and he was about four, but I couldn't find that one.  I agree, I fell in love with his dancing first.  I never saw Sammy as anyone's stooge.  Maybe because I thought so little of Sinatra.  Now Peter Lawford....what's wrong with this picture, lol.

From a 2007 article in The Atlantic magazine: "Sinatra gave Sammy Davis Jr. his career, and his fiercely loyal, public embrace of Davis, often in the teeth of bigotry, was principled and heroic. But in their Rat Pack shows, he made Davis the butt of race-oriented jokes, and Davis knew a Sinatra both vindictive and considerate ..."  

Sinatra was not a racist (early strong civil rights supporter) but ... I heard Sammy on Stern before he died telling Howard how much that treatment hurt him. He described it as joking around, but with a mean-spirited edge (Frank knowing it hurt Sammy yet keeping it up).
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 09:31:25 PM by JoeC » Logged
JoeC

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2018, 09:24:46 PM »

If they did that today they would be called racist.

These "shorts" are what Officer Joe Bolton showed us kids on WPIX-11 in NYC every day between 5-6 pm in the 1950s. I think we knew they were racist even then (they did, after all, come from the early 1930s). BTW, the big kid is actor Jackie Cooper, isn't it? About the only one of those kids to go on to have his own TV show and be in some movies.
Shandy

Manhattan Lifer, Chelsea

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2018, 02:27:29 AM »

Mike - LOL, yeah, I can't put my finger on Lawford, either.  I thought Sammy was a genius in many ways and very humble.

JoeC - Sinatra was a mean, vindictive SOB, but I know that he had something really going on for him with his singing and styling (millions for generations can't all be wrong), but his stuff just wasn't for me.

JoeC

« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2018, 09:19:40 AM »

Mike - LOL, yeah, I can't put my finger on Lawford, either.  I thought Sammy was a genius in many ways and very humble.

JoeC - Sinatra was a mean, vindictive SOB, but I know that he had something really going on for him with his singing and styling (millions for generations can't all be wrong), but his stuff just wasn't for me.

I'm with you on NOT being a Sinatra fan (music or personal life) but these two songs I have to admit I think are gems. Both from his 40s period. Take a listen if you're of a mind!

Violets For Your Furs  1941

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOh1AXpW4ks

Autumn In New York  1947

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLFxVernaxM

Shandy

Manhattan Lifer, Chelsea

« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2018, 03:54:14 PM »

JoeC - TY, but I've heard them before.  Just not my style.  Love a lot of lyrics he did, but he just doesn't do it for me.

JoeC

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2018, 04:52:34 PM »

JoeC - TY, but I've heard them before.  Just not my style.  Love a lot of lyrics he did, but he just doesn't do it for me.

I fully understand. Billie Holiday sang both better anyway.
Shandy

Manhattan Lifer, Chelsea

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2018, 06:42:07 PM »

JoeC - To my ear, much better.

doctordoowop

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2018, 09:47:04 PM »

Re Lawford--just read about the 2nd prettiest  HWood female--Lana Turner--she described  his bi-sexual  behavior. For what its worth.

Prettiest?  Hedy Lamarr
bklynmike101

« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2018, 12:39:46 PM »

Re Lawford--just read about the 2nd prettiest  HWood female--Lana Turner--she described  his bi-sexual  behavior. For what its worth.

Prettiest?  Hedy Lamarr

Prefer the sensuality of Rita Hayworth myself.  Roll Eyes Veronica Lake maybe?
doctordoowop

« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2018, 01:41:33 PM »

The 1st  scene of Lana in Postman is  fantastic--take a peak  on YT.   BTW,  per her book a   wild  nympho.  Also  a   bit too  close to  her buddy Ava Gardner. Grin Grin Grin Grin
Shandy

Manhattan Lifer, Chelsea

« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2018, 03:13:57 AM »

If I went in that direction, it would be Brigette Bardot and Vivian Leigh for me.

bklynmike101

« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2018, 12:43:19 PM »

If I went in that direction, it would be Brigette Bardot and Vivian Leigh for me.

Works for me!  Grin
Shandy

Manhattan Lifer, Chelsea

« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2018, 01:44:38 PM »

LOL!

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: