DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 25, 2018, 04:37:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
ATTENTION:
NO COMMERCIAL SITES OR LINKS TO COMMERCIAL SITES ALLOWED ON THIS FORUM. IF YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO SELL,
ie, CLOTHES, RECORDS, FURNTURE, ETC. DON'T DO IT HERE. THE URL WILL BE DELETED...  Mike Paladino
78649 Posts in 7075 Topics by 95 Members
Latest Member: doctordoowop
* Home Help Login Register
+  DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
|-+  OT - OFF TOPIC TOPICS :-)
| |-+  Off Topic Stuff
| | |-+  Common Gammatical errors
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Common Gammatical errors  (Read 1888 times)
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2018, 10:52:40 PM »

All  the above  is getting my dandruff  up.   Grin Grin Grin Grin

Orient  instead  of orientate.
Are "orientaters" good for making French fries?  Or are they just found in The East???

Shandy
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2018, 12:04:14 AM »

doc/Robb - Guys, guys you're getting into words and not gamattical(sic) errors, as Robb pointed out to me when I did it.
bklynmike101

« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2018, 12:10:22 PM »

I lived in San Mateo from roughly '82-'85 and can assure you that by then any and all vestiges of a "ghetto" were long-gone. Interesting that only 10 years prior, things appeared to have been vastly different. 
Shandy
« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2018, 12:58:36 PM »

Mike - I've seen two neighborhoods change before my eyes....the East 60's and Chelsea.  I lived in construction zones both times (uptown built high, Chelsea renovated, mostly), and it happens fast!
doctordoowop

« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2018, 05:58:35 PM »

It would be funny if done intentionally-but I  misspelled grammatical. Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
bklynmike101

« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2018, 06:00:08 PM »

Shandy,

I've also seen up front and personal neighborhoods go the other way in "real" time - e.g. East New York, Brooklyn early-mid 60's (among others).
Shandy
« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2018, 06:29:39 PM »

Mike - I don't doubt it.  If you haven't been back in awhile....Red Hook, Williamsburgh, Fort Greene, Green Pernt(sic) and even Bed-Stuy.  All gentrified to different extents and all trendy.  Park Slope and Carroll Gardens (correct me if I'm wrong, all nice, neighborhoods back in the day) are now trendy and through the roof!
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2018, 08:44:02 PM »

I lived in San Mateo from roughly '82-'85 and can assure you that by then any and all vestiges of a "ghetto" were long-gone. Interesting that only 10 years prior, things appeared to have been vastly different. 

Maybe it became gentrified.  Land costs on The Peninsula exploded in the 1970s.  San Mateo County was The 2nd Richest (per capita) county in USA, and, at one time, had the highest mean land values of any US county (don't know if it still does).

bklynmike101

« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2018, 12:26:04 PM »

Mike - I don't doubt it.  If you haven't been back in awhile....Red Hook, Williamsburgh, Fort Greene, Green Pernt(sic) and even Bed-Stuy.  All gentrified to different extents and all trendy.  Park Slope and Carroll Gardens (correct me if I'm wrong, all nice, neighborhoods back in the day) are now trendy and through the roof!

Yup. Although I have not been back for some time, I do 'keep tabs' on things to some extent. I never thought I'd see the resurrection of Brooklyn but I have (most areas). Harlem as well to a large extent as I understand it. Net net, I believe it's a (very) good thing overall even though there are inevitably some folks who are hurt by 'gentrification'. The recent "topper" for me is when I saw that the main character in Homeland was now a Brooklyn brownstone resident, and that said brownstone was located in the heart of Bed-Stuy.  In my day, Bed-Stuy was merely a bunch of subway stations one had to 'survive in' on the A train (sometimes the E) en route to 'the city'.   
bklynmike101

« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2018, 12:28:38 PM »

Maybe it became gentrified.  Land costs on The Peninsula exploded in the 1970s.  San Mateo County was The 2nd Richest (per capita) county in USA, and, at one time, had the highest mean land values of any US county (don't know if it still does).

Robb, One of my brilliant  Tongue financial maneuvers was to sell my little condo in San Mateo when I relocated instead of hanging onto it. I sold at a loss yet it's now worth more than 6x!. Genius!  Undecided
doctordoowop

« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2018, 05:46:23 PM »

I think grammar  includes  word usage--if not  add that to topic. 

Acronym   means 1st letters  of group  make their  own word--such as radar, sonar, taser,  AIDS etc.

MOST  talking heads now  seem to call  abbreviations  acronyms.
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2018, 08:23:25 PM »

Robb, One of my brilliant  Tongue financial maneuvers was to sell my little condo in San Mateo when I relocated instead of hanging onto it. I sold at a loss yet it's now worth more than 6x!. Genius!  Undecided
Nobody could have guessed this would happen.  20-30 years ago condos  didn't accelerate in value much at all, even in areas where single family dwellings increased in price exponentially.  But land on The Peninsula will continue to increase exponentially because it is close to San Francisco, and the only new lopen and keeps getting farther and farther away from The centre of the expanding metro area.

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: