DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 25, 2018, 10:38:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
ATTENTION:
NO COMMERCIAL SITES OR LINKS TO COMMERCIAL SITES ALLOWED ON THIS FORUM. IF YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO SELL,
ie, CLOTHES, RECORDS, FURNTURE, ETC. DON'T DO IT HERE. THE URL WILL BE DELETED...  Mike Paladino
78656 Posts in 7075 Topics by 95 Members
Latest Member: doctordoowop
* Home Help Login Register
+  DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
|-+  OT - OFF TOPIC TOPICS :-)
| |-+  Off Topic Stuff
| | |-+  Why NYC Droped The Ball
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Why NYC Droped The Ball  (Read 1031 times)
dead dog

Looking for The Echo

« on: March 16, 2018, 07:23:29 PM »

Came across this while surfing the net for Stephen Hawking I came across this, pretty interesting.

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2012/12/why-nyc-drops-an-11-875-pound-ball-on-new-years-eve/266654/
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 07:27:06 PM by dead dog » Logged

"Enjoy life to the fullest, as you never know when you will be asked to leave"
Shandy
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2018, 07:58:55 PM »

Bill - I know the story well, but that didn't prevent me from reading the whole thing again.  Never liked history at all until I became enchanted by Manhattan and Haiti.  I guess I'm just a small dose historian Grin
dead dog

Looking for The Echo

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2018, 09:03:25 PM »

This is my favorite building in NY city:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flatiron_Building

"Enjoy life to the fullest, as you never know when you will be asked to leave"
doowopbob
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2018, 09:58:09 PM »

Interesting story, thank you for posting.
Shandy
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2018, 12:56:46 PM »

Bill - As weird as this may seem, it's mine, too, a nice walk from my front door.  It was once the tallest building and had an observation deck! I have a connecting hallway in my apartment lined with nothing but pictures of it.
JoeC

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2018, 03:32:12 PM »

NYC has some truly wonderful architecture. My favorite buildings tend to be the Art Deco ones like the Brill , Empire State, Chrysler, and Waldorf Astoria.
doctordoowop

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2018, 12:43:16 AM »

NYC  has  the  only  Major  sports arena [ 2nd  most famous to Yankee St] named after a US  prez--James Madison--only 5 foot 5,  but was on the $5000 bill.
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2018, 12:46:22 AM »

NYC  has  the  only  Major  sports arena [ 2nd  most famous to Yankee St] named after a US  prez--James Madison--only 5 foot 5,  but was on the $5000 bill.
Why would anyone name a modern sports arena after a non-sporty US President?Huh?  Did The Madison family donate the property?  I thought they were from Virginia.

JoeC

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2018, 08:33:11 AM »

Why would anyone name a modern sports arena after a non-sporty US President?Huh?  Did The Madison family donate the property?  I thought they were from Virginia.

Think it was named after Madison Square, which I think is an actual place (of course, the Square was likely named after the Prez). Think Madison Square is in Shandy's neighborhood? Later, relocated up to upper Times Square area, then down to Penn Station.
Shandy
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2018, 10:32:54 AM »

Most of us locals refer to it as Madison Park, because the park is where the action is.  A short walk east from my door, it's right by my beloved Flatiron Building.  I recall the W. 50th Street location, they had a lot of boxing matches there.
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2018, 11:34:53 AM »

Think it was named after Madison Square, which I think is an actual place (of course, the Square was likely named after the Prez). Think Madison Square is in Shandy's neighborhood? Later, relocated up to upper Times Square area, then down to Penn Station.
If SO, it WASN'I named after a US president. It was named after a place, like so many other facilities.  That makes more sense.

bklynmike101

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2018, 01:20:24 PM »

Most of us locals refer to it as Madison Park, because the park is where the action is.  A short walk east from my door, it's right by my beloved Flatiron Building.  I recall the W. 50th Street location, they had a lot of boxing matches there.

I remain the proud owner of one wooden seat slat from the 50th Street emporium.  Grin
JoeC

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2018, 03:14:24 PM »

Went many times to the "old Garden" on 8th at 49th-50th Streets. Boxing, basketball and hockey (though I never saw a boxing match)!

Per Wiki, the really old MSG (going back to the 1870s) was at 26th and Madison, and developed by showman P.T. Barnum.

Robb, could be wrong but didn't you once say you had met LA music guy H.B. Barnum? Think H.B. was influenced to use his initials due to his surname and old P.T.?
Shandy
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2018, 03:24:59 PM »

damn, wiki got something right.
doctordoowop

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2018, 04:18:08 PM »

Robb --was a trick statement.   Of course  but --the  word Madison  comes from James.

Like--who was  only person to play for  Knicks, Rangers and Dodgers?

Ans-Gladys Gooding-organ player. Grin Grin Grin
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2018, 07:39:01 PM »

Went many times to the "old Garden" on 8th at 49th-50th Streets. Boxing, basketball and hockey (though I never saw a boxing match)!

Per Wiki, the really old MSG (going back to the 1870s) was at 26th and Madison, and developed by showman P.T. Barnum.

Robb, could be wrong but didn't you once say you had met LA music guy H.B. Barnum? Think H.B. was influenced to use his initials due to his surname and old P.T.?
Yes, I met H.B.  No, to your question.  He used his initials because his Christian (given) name was so weird, and he was made fun of for it as a child.  So, his friends called him "H.B".  H.B. stands for Hidle Brown.  He was comfortable with "Hidle enough to use it as the name of his music publishing company.

JoeC

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2018, 08:34:22 AM »

Yes, I met H.B.  No, to your question.  He used his initials because his Christian (given) name was so weird, and he was made fun of for it as a child.  So, his friends called him "H.B".  H.B. stands for Hidle Brown.  He was comfortable with "Hidle enough to use it as the name of his music publishing company.

Thanks for the clarification on H.B. Bet I'm not the only one though, on hearing the name H.B. Barnum, to give P.T. Barnum a thought.
doctordoowop

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2018, 01:32:21 PM »

Hidle  is better than Phineas. Grin Grin Grin
JoeC

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2018, 04:19:47 PM »

H.B. Barnum. From singing in The Dootones and The Robins to arranging songs for Frank Sinatra.
doowopdan in GA
Administrator

a/k/a Dan Greenfield, JD/DJ

« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2018, 10:02:51 AM »

I hadn't looked at the OT posts in a while. Interesting stuff.  I once read a book on the history of Madison Square Garden(s) that was really interesting.  The history of Central Park is equally fascinating.  Maybe I find NYC so compelling because I grew up just outside it in the boring suburbs and every trip in was like a pilgrimage. 

Anyway, being born in late 1960, I have a vague memory of the old Garden on 50th Street, when my dad took me there in, I think, 1967, just him and me, when Ringling Bros was there.  The only thing I remember clearly is that there was a "giant" sitting in a big chair, and you got to shake his hand and they were selling "giant" rings.  He seemed kind of sad to me.  In doing a bit of research, it was probably a man named Eddie Carmel, known as "the Jewish Giant."  Actually, I had a lousy time -- never really liked circuses.  The funny thing about it was that, talking to my father many years later, he took me because he thought I would enjoy it, and I went because I wanted to hang out with him, but neither of us really wanted to go to the circus.  Going to the new Garden 5 years later to see a Rangers game, that was a different story! Smiley
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: