DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 16, 2018, 11:37:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
ATTENTION:
NO COMMERCIAL SITES OR LINKS TO COMMERCIAL SITES ALLOWED ON THIS FORUM. IF YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO SELL,
ie, CLOTHES, RECORDS, FURNTURE, ETC. DON'T DO IT HERE. THE URL WILL BE DELETED...  Mike Paladino
79018 Posts in 7095 Topics by 95 Members
Latest Member: doctordoowop
* Home Help Login Register
+  DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
|-+  OT - OFF TOPIC TOPICS :-)
| |-+  Off Topic Stuff
| | |-+  Viet Nam
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Viet Nam  (Read 3538 times)
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #60 on: April 01, 2018, 09:55:53 PM »

Is it possible that this site has become more of an OT nightmare since an OT section was included?   I think so.
At least we're doing this in The Off Topic section.   Grin

JoeC

« Reply #61 on: April 02, 2018, 08:00:13 AM »

How  about  golfer Gay Brewer.

Re  Seeger--Agree Shandy. Dylan  was  the  biggest  acoustic    folkie  before  Newport--Seeger saw  him then   as a traitorous,  incomprehensible  act.  And from Dylan--  where was   Pete's Thorazine?

Doc, you're probably right but ... Joan Baez sold a lot of records in the 1960-63 time frame. Likely, MORE than Dylan did. But, Dylan had the "protest song" audience; she did old English Childe ballads.
bklynmike101

« Reply #62 on: April 02, 2018, 11:48:37 AM »

Only Maynard that comes to my mind is jazz trumpeter, Maynard Ferguson. And, he was Walter Maynard Ferguson! Guess Maynard was a "cooler" name for a jazzman than Walter.

BTW, Ferguson and Dollard St. Laurent grew up in Verdun, Que together.

Does Maynard G. Krebs count? Grin
bklynmike101

« Reply #63 on: April 02, 2018, 11:52:08 AM »

How  about  golfer Gay Brewer.

When I grew up during the late 1940s and 1950s, "gay" meant "happy" and joyous, and nothing else.  Brewer was older than I, so, I suspect that he had no problem with that name.  Didn't he grow up in South Africa?  It certainly shouldn't have been a problem back then.  Not like if his parents had named him "Poof", "Poofy", "Fluffy", "Pansy" or "Queer Boy".  I guess the public recorder might have contacted the parents when they submitted those names, even without having a law analogous to the current German law.

Given names in Iceland are extremely restricted. There is a list of approved names. And that's it - except one can petition for an exception but they are not granted automatically. Far from it. The acceptance rate for exception request hovers around 50%. No "silly" names are permitted. Of course that does not stop peopled from taking on nick names. 
doctordoowop

« Reply #64 on: April 02, 2018, 05:31:05 PM »

Joe-I strongly disagree-Dylan  sales  exceeded  Joans   I would say  by  ten to hundred times  even before he went electric in 65.

[Done of course  by NOT checking Google]
« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 05:22:54 PM by doctordoowop » Logged
JoeC

« Reply #65 on: April 02, 2018, 06:17:14 PM »

Joe-I strongly disagree-Dylan  sales  exceeded  Joans   I would say  by  ten to hundred times  even before he went electric in 65.

[Done of course  checking Google]

Am sure you're right. I know Dylan's first album did not sell well but "Freewheelin Bob Dylan" was a monster. Guess I was swayed by the fact every college girl I met in the early 60s loved Baez and her old fashioned folky stuff and had all her albums. Most hated Dylan. Guys were the opposite and I guess they bought more records.
doctordoowop

« Reply #66 on: April 02, 2018, 08:01:46 PM »

What a terrible  mistake--I meant to say by NOT  checking Google.  Seriously--the various oaths I have taken  forbid  untruths.

Its no fun checking--much prefer  asking u guys here. Cheesy Cheesy
Shandy
« Reply #67 on: April 03, 2018, 01:39:14 AM »

Robb - It's still rife in the music section because I think people are now forgetting where they are Wink
dead dog

Looking for The Echo

« Reply #68 on: April 03, 2018, 03:30:57 PM »

Well, I just did my part in shifting the hockey to the Hockey thread.

Thank you.

"Enjoy life to the fullest, as you never know when you will be asked to leave"
Gino

« Reply #69 on: April 04, 2018, 11:42:07 AM »

Always hated all the "folkies" - give me old time rock 'n' roll!

"Grease for Peace!!"
Gino
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: