DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 16, 2018, 05:33:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
ATTENTION:
NO COMMERCIAL SITES OR LINKS TO COMMERCIAL SITES ALLOWED ON THIS FORUM. IF YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO SELL,
ie, CLOTHES, RECORDS, FURNTURE, ETC. DON'T DO IT HERE. THE URL WILL BE DELETED...  Mike Paladino
78212 Posts in 7058 Topics by 190 Members
Latest Member: doowopbob
* Home Help Login Register
+  DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
|-+  OT - OFF TOPIC TOPICS :-)
| |-+  Off Topic Stuff
| | |-+  RIP Le Grand Orange
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: RIP Le Grand Orange  (Read 487 times)
JoeC

« on: March 29, 2018, 07:40:45 PM »

Rusty Staub, an original Montreal Expo, died today.

One of only four players to hit a major league HR before age 20, and after age 40. (The other three were ARod, Ty Cobb and Gary Sheffield.)

Rusty endeared himself to the fans in Montreal by taking French lessons and trying to speak French. He signed his autographs in Montreal "Mes Meilleurs Souhaits, Le Grand Orange." (Best Wishes ...)

2716 career hits. Slow, like Ted Williams, none of those hits were "legged out."

RIP.
doctordoowop

« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2018, 11:31:05 PM »

He is  really  VERY  close to HOF.  Close to 3000 hits,  almost  300 HRs.  RIP
Shandy
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2018, 11:43:50 PM »

Even I know who he was. RIP
JoeC

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2018, 08:47:34 AM »

He owned a couple Manhattan restaurants back in the day when with the Mets, and after.

Reports said he died at 73 of "pneumonia, followed by multiple organ failures, dehydration, and an infection after spending 8 weeks in the hospital." A couple years ago, he had a massive heart attack while on a transatlantic flight, and survived!

Baseball-wise, a great hitter, choked way up on the bat (unusual for such a big guy), had those high pants and red (really more orange) hair.
doctordoowop

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2018, 11:23:26 AM »

Joe-just read  in LA Times--he is only player to have  500  hits with 4 teams.   Baseball is stat crazy.

Joe-also read  Babe Ruth was a 2  way player for awhile.  Before  I nit pick with the LA times writer--not true, correct?   He may have occasionally pinch hit when not  pitching, but  I dont think he EVER  played  OF  when not pitching.  [Like Ohtani will] Actually he is DH  & will  NOT play the field ever.

DJ Big Jack
Administrator

BOO !

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2018, 11:42:28 AM »

I'll start watching baseball when they speed up the game drastically and also play in the rain. !!

Shandy
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2018, 12:02:51 PM »

Jack - That speeded up thing....football....the clock never moves : Angry
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2018, 12:05:00 PM »

Joe-also read  Babe Ruth was a 2  way player for awhile.  Before  I nit pick with the LA times writer--not true, correct?   He may have occasionally pinch hit when not  pitching, but  I dont think he EVER  played  OF  when not pitching.  [Like Ohtani will] Actually he is DH  & will  NOT play the field ever.

Not sure what you mean by a "2-way player".  Baseball was always a 2-way game.  Every position played offence AND defence until the Designated Hitter came in (but that was after I stopped following Baseball).  Babe Ruth had several seasons during which he played both pitcher and the outfield in different games (1915, 1916, 1917, 1918, 1919, 1920 are the main ones, plus, he pitched a few games in a couple more years in the early 1920s).  In 1918 and 1919, he played enough of both to be considered a pitcher/outfielder.  So, It seems to me that The L.A. Times writer was not incorrect in his statement.

JoeC

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2018, 12:08:20 PM »

Joe-just read  in LA Times--he is only player to have  500  hits with 4 teams.   Baseball is stat crazy.

Joe-also read  Babe Ruth was a 2 way player for awhile.  Before  I nit pick with the LA times writer--not true, correct?   He may have occasionally pinch hit when not  pitching, but  I dont think he EVER  played  OF  when not pitching.  [Like Ohtani will] Actually he is DH  & will  NOT play the field ever.

Think you are right about Ruth. Next, someone will have him taking tickets at the turnstiles before the game, too. Whenever I go to an Orioles game, I look across the street from Camden Yards and view the exact location of Ruth's father's bar (think the Ruth family lived above it). Just down the street and around the corner where Edgar Allen Poe was found dead in the gutter. Lotta history in downtown B'more.

Doc, know you're a different kind of doctor but ... what do you make of the fairly detailed info in Rusty's cause of death (in my post above yours)? I mean, pneumonia doesn't usually lead to all that, or does it?
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2018, 12:46:07 PM »

Doc, know you're a different kind of doctor but ... what do you make of the fairly detailed info in Rusty's cause of death (in my post above yours)? I mean, pneumonia doesn't usually lead to all that, or does it?
Pneumonia can be VERY deadly to people above 60 years old.

doowopbob

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2018, 01:23:02 PM »

Always liked Rusty Staub, good ball player.

Silence is golden
bklynmike101

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2018, 02:16:15 PM »

Rusty was a favorite of mine as well. Ed "The Glider" Charles, whop passed a few weeks ago, was another "great" Met.
JoeC

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2018, 03:59:01 PM »

Rusty was a favorite of mine as well. Ed "The Glider" Charles, whop passed a few weeks ago, was another "great" Met.

Liked Ed a lot too. He was 29 years old when he made it to the majors with the Kansas City A's in 1962. 33 or 34 when he was traded to the Mets. 36 when the Mets won their first WS.
doctordoowop

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2018, 04:07:05 PM »

Thanx  Robb.  By  2 way player he meant  pitched in regular rotation  &  regularly  played outfield. Just curious  how  many he  played in OF  forSox.
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2018, 04:38:30 PM »

Thanx  Robb.  By  2 way player he meant  pitched in regular rotation  &  regularly  played outfield. Just curious  how  many he  played in OF  forSox.
In 1918, Ruth was 13-7 and pitched 166 innings as The Red Sox's 3rd or 4th pitcher, and played 59 games in the outfield and 13 at first base.  He got up 317 times, and had 95 hits, 26 doubles, 11 triples, and led The AL with 11 home runs.  He was 6th on his team in hits (but was only 3 away from being 5th.  So, we'd have.to admit that he was not only a regular in their pitching rotation, but was also a regular position player for them.

In 1919, he went 8-5, pitching 133 innings.  He placed 5th in innings pitched.  So, he was still part of The Sox's regular rotation.  As a batter, he led The AL in runs scored(103), RBIs(114) and home runs (29).  He also had 34 doubles and 12 triples.  He played 111 games in the outfield, and 4 games at first base.  He had 432 AB.  He was 2nd on his team in hits, and led in doubles, triples, and HRs.  No one could say he wasn't a regular position player.

Remember, too, that during those years, MLB only played 140 games during the regular season.  So, 115 out of 140 = 82% of total games at a non-pitching position.

doctordoowop

« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2018, 09:30:46 PM »

Thanx  Robb. Learned a lot  about  George  Herman. If u have all that info  in your head u  have way too much free time. Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Joe--parsimonious  answer--total  organ failure--pneumonia does not do that  unless  other more serious probs.  That was just  the last straw so to  speak.
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2018, 09:58:31 PM »

Thanx  Robb. Learned a lot  about  George  Herman. If u have all that info  in your head u  have way too much free time. Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

I just looked up the actual game totals, but remembered that Ruth spent 2 seasons as both a starting pitcher and a regular outfielder, and I knew his home run totals for those years.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: