DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 25, 2018, 04:38:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
ATTENTION:
NO COMMERCIAL SITES OR LINKS TO COMMERCIAL SITES ALLOWED ON THIS FORUM. IF YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO SELL,
ie, CLOTHES, RECORDS, FURNTURE, ETC. DON'T DO IT HERE. THE URL WILL BE DELETED...  Mike Paladino
78649 Posts in 7075 Topics by 95 Members
Latest Member: doctordoowop
* Home Help Login Register
+  DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
|-+  OT - OFF TOPIC TOPICS :-)
| |-+  Off Topic Stuff
| | |-+  TAB HUNTER
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: TAB HUNTER  (Read 466 times)
doowopbob
« on: July 09, 2018, 03:17:38 PM »

Just read on CNN.com that Tab Hunter died Sunday, July 8th.  He was 86.  Quite a career.
JoeC

« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2018, 07:25:47 PM »

RIP, Tab. Six weeks on the Billboard Charts in the Spring of 1957 with his "Young Love."  I preferred the Sonny James version which got released first and, I think, outsold Tab. Both were joint #1's. Rare.

Pretty good documentary on his life shows up now and then on cable. Think it's called Tab Hunter Confidential.
Shandy
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2018, 08:21:51 PM »

WOW, didn't think he was that much older than me.
dead dog

Looking for The Echo

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2018, 03:01:39 PM »

WOW, didn't think he was that much older than me.

WOW! ! ! Shandy, I didn't know you are 86. You surely (and don't call me surely) don't look that old. Shocked, Kiss

"Enjoy life to the fullest, as you never know when you will be asked to leave"
Shandy
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2018, 05:40:56 PM »

Bill - I'll 86 you, LOL.  Don't think you've ever seen me unless you're on FB, but I'm the reverse of his age.
doctordoowop

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2018, 12:54:42 AM »

Manager  was   same  guy  who  made up   names  Rock  Hudson,   Troy  Donahue,  and  couple  other for handsome gay guys.  . 
How things have changed--LA  Times  listed  Anthony  Perkins  &  ??  as  his lovers --yrs  ago.

Agree  Joe--James version  much better.  &  Hunter's  version so  upset  Jack Warner that he started  WBros  records.
JoeC

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2018, 07:41:55 AM »

Manager  was   same  guy  who  made up   names  Rock  Hudson,   Troy  Donahue,  and  couple  other for handsome gay guys.  . 
How things have changed--LA  Times  listed  Anthony  Perkins  &  ??  as  his lovers --yrs  ago.

Agree  Joe--James version  much better.  &  Hunter's  version so  upset  Jack Warner that he started  WBros  records.

Tab sang it with all the emotion of what he was doing -- reading it for the first or second time, at the mic stand in the recording studio. Sounded totally disinterested.
doctordoowop

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2018, 01:10:25 PM »

Agree  Joe.
doowopdan in GA
Administrator

a/k/a Dan Greenfield, JD/DJ

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2018, 03:31:00 PM »

The original of "Young Love" was by Ric Cartey and the Jiva-tones, on a small Atlanta label.  It's pretty flat -- kinda like Tab Hunter with a twang.  Sonny James is the best version, no question. 

People tended to confuse Tab Hunter and Troy Donahue (who replaced him at that studio). Troy supposedly used to say "I'm the straight one," and Tab would occasionally obligingly sign "Troy Donahue" autographs. 
JoeC

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2018, 04:08:55 PM »

Interesting, Dan. Never heard that original of "Young Love."

I thought Tab came off well in that recent documentary of him. Before seeing that, I guess it was hard for me to get past his "Hollywood" name in terms of taking him seriously at all.
doctordoowop

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2018, 05:16:34 PM »

Now that i  don't have to be   accused of being a homophobe--  Troy  Donahue  is described as gay all  over  the internet.  Same gay manager as Tab, Rock,Robert Wagner  &  Guy Madison.  Yes  Joe--  Wild Bill   Hickock.

As I  typed this I  realized that the word  'homophobe "  is itself homophobic because of use   of the now  forbidden--"homo"to describe gays.

No longer  proper  to  call  blacks  colored  or  Negro.
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2018, 05:41:38 PM »

Now that i  don't have to be   accused of being a homophobe--  Troy  Donahue  is described as gay all  over  the internet.  Same gay manager as Tab, Rock,Robert Wagner  &  Guy Madison.  Yes  Joe--  Wild Bill   Hickock.

As I  typed this I  realized that the word  'homophobe "  is itself homophobic because of use   of the now  forbidden--"homo"to describe gays.

Or "Blacks", for that matter!   They are "African Americans".  (but DNA studies say that we ALL are "African Americans").  I made this post, to "prove" that Shandy's leaving this forum didn't signal its death.   Shocked

JoeC

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2018, 07:36:19 PM »

Or "Blacks", for that matter!   They are "African Americans".  (but DNA studies say that we ALL are "African Americans").  I made this post, to "prove" that Shandy's leaving this forum didn't signal its death.   Shocked

Of course, I believe that too, Robb. I think you called it in one of your last posts to Shandy while she was leaving, i.e., that it's entirely possible that the relatively few posters that have been inhabiting this board for the last x years, have pretty much exhausted all they had to say. The subject matter has pretty much been covered, and re-covered many times.

I know I started many "What Are You Listening To" threads on the music forum just to get something going. And, hoping to hear a YT song I hadn't heard before that was being "recommended." Then, we had/have all the RIP posts when one of our heros/heroines passes on. Basically, this Off-Topic Forum was started mainly because we had exhausted the music subject matter to a degree where we were going a weeks sometimes between music-focused posts.

jp05

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2018, 09:13:31 PM »

Robb, I'm a little late to the forum as I've been busy. You indicated that Shandy left the forum. Why? I thought she contributed extremely well, although (like many of us) there were certain things that were a bit acerbic. I hope she returns!

I also note that the Doo Wop forum has had very little activity in the last week. Is this related?
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2018, 10:01:47 PM »

Robb, I'm a little late to the forum as I've been busy. You indicated that Shandy left the forum. Why? I thought she contributed extremely well, although (like many of us) there were certain things that were a bit acerbic. I hope she returns!

I also note that the Doo Wop forum has had very little activity in the last week. Is this related?

Well, we have maybe 8-10 major posters, and I'd guess she was in the top 4.  So, her leaving was going to cut our post number severely, even if nobody else would post less.  But, given that she also started threads, we are all posting less, as we are no longer posting on threads she starts (as she doesn't start any), and we are no longer replying to her posts, as she doesn't respond to ours. 

And yes, she left because there wasn't much action here anymore.  So, her leaving just exacerbated that excellerating trend.

doctordoowop

« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2018, 10:15:43 PM »

I recall   her  criticizing  Joe C &  me  ---not  sure why. Perhaps too  many posts here   about groups  like  the Mystics  [from many  posters]--white &  from the 60s.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: