DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2018, 11:33:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
ATTENTION:
NO COMMERCIAL SITES OR LINKS TO COMMERCIAL SITES ALLOWED ON THIS FORUM. IF YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO SELL,
ie, CLOTHES, RECORDS, FURNTURE, ETC. DON'T DO IT HERE. THE URL WILL BE DELETED...  Mike Paladino
78878 Posts in 7083 Topics by 95 Members
Latest Member: doctordoowop
* Home Help Login Register
+  DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
|-+  OT - OFF TOPIC TOPICS :-)
| |-+  Off Topic Stuff
| | |-+  Related to?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Related to?  (Read 492 times)
doctordoowop

« on: August 09, 2018, 08:54:46 PM »

Joe-u will  like this.   Met  a lite skinned   young black  lady   last week.  Her maiden name was GONDER.  U know my next  question--Yes Jesse--  Met catcher 62-63?  was  her uncle.

Met a black  lady from Alabama.  Maiden name GAMBLE--  Yes related to  both Oscar &  Kenny.

Lastly  met  a black guy  from Indiana --surname  PRYOR .  Yes  cousin of both Richard  &   boxer Aaron.

Think  smaller groups  tend to  have  closer  consanguinity.  Nothing  racist  intended here,just  a statistical point..

JoeC

« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2018, 08:00:20 AM »

When I think of Oscar Gamble, I think "best Afro in MLB" back in the day. His NYT obit even was titled "Oscar Gamble, Power Hitter With Prodigious Hair, Dies at 68." He was a really good player as well -- 17 years in the big leagues!! You don't stay around that long if you don't have a lot to offer skills-wise.

Jesse Gonder was, like all Mets of that early era, a symbol of utter mediocrity. Fact is, as a left-handed hitting catcher with a .251 lifetime average, he would've had a long, well paid career had he been playing today. Not that many catchers now -- even starting catchers -- hit that well. If you're decent defensively, you don't even have to hit .200 to get playing time.
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2018, 02:34:00 PM »

Joe-u will  like this.   Met  a lite skinned   young black  lady   last week.  Her maiden name was GONDER.  U know my next  question--Yes Jesse--  Met catcher 62-63?  was  her uncle. Met a black  lady from Alabama.  Maiden name GAMBLE--  Yes related to  both Oscar &  Kenny. Lastly  met  a black guy  from Indiana --surname  PRYOR .  Yes  cousin of both Richard  &   boxer Aaron. Think  smaller groups  tend to  have  closer  consanguinity.  Nothing  racist  intended here,just  a statistical point..
Gonder and Pryor are no surprise to me, as they are uncommon names (especially Gonder).  The odds of them being related were probably close to 100%.  Pryor is a bit of a coincidence but not surprising at all.  The fact that both Oscar and Kenny Gamble were BOTH related to a Gamble you met, has much, much lower odds than the other two.  But, it is still well in the realm of possibility to make it also not terribly surprising.  

I met a guy cross-country skiing in the back country on Mount San Jacinto, in California, and started talking to him, as people often do in places where you don't usually see anyone.  I noticed the soft sound of his voice and his foreign accent in English - the 2 factors which gave away to me that he had been raised in Ruthenia (which is the very northwest portion of The Ukraine, its only portion west of The Carpathian Mountains.  He also had a tinge of Yiddish accent in his voice.  So, I knew he was a Jew who grew up in Ruthenia. That is where a portion of my family was from, most of whom came to Canada after WWII, brought over by my grandparents.  After my mentioning that part of my family comes from there.  we got to talking, and I found out that he is my cousin (twice removed).  What are the odds of my meeting him in rural Southern California???  Not many people cross-country ski.  How many Jewish Ruthenians from the small Stettels of Orshava or Bilke came to USA?  I came there from Manitoba and Chicago.  He came there from Mikelovce to Decin, to Prague, to Paris, to Miami, and then to L.A. I've lived in many other countries for many, many days and years, both before and since then.  What were the odds of my meeting him on that day?

Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2018, 02:36:27 PM »

Related....Part II:
Another coincidence story:  I worked in Jordan for six years. We project professionals shared an apartment complex on a couple floors of a modern, high-rise apartment building. My n second year returning, I met one of the new project professionals.  He was supposed to meet me when I came to the airport, but missed me, because I arrived wearing Arab clothing (robes headdress, sandals, etc. so, not being met, I took a taxi.  When I arrived at our flat, I met the new housemate.  We both had beards and mustaches.  It took us 10 minutes of talking to realise that we were high school friends in Illinois, 15 years before!  Amazing.  He had been working for the lead International engineering firm in their international division for the past 14 years, and I had become a subcontractor to that firm one year before.  I had worked in Canada and western USA for Native American and First Nation Native North American tribes for the past 7 years, and he had been working in Africa, and Indonesia for the past 15, and had married a Baha'i Indonesian woman, before we met up again.

What are the odds of all that???  Almost nil.  And yet, coincidences like that happen, seemingly often.

jp05

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2018, 04:28:08 PM »

All proof of that it's a small world, and thru easier travel and technology, it's getting smaller!
doctordoowop

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2018, 06:49:35 PM »

Professor Robb--correct.   She told  me Gonder was  a German name--from Arkansas here.

Interesting  that it was  NEVER  mentioned  anywhere  that  Oscar  was related  to Kenny,or Aaron  to Richard.

The list is endless--I met a guy  named  Pinkett-yep  Jada's cousin.

Met a guy named  Gooden--yep   related to  Dwight  &  Gary Sheffield.

As Yogi  said--amazing what you can learn  by listening. Grin Grin Grin Grin
doctordoowop

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2018, 06:53:05 PM »

Right  Robb--coincidental,as u said , and NOT  coincidental  as  many incorrectly  say today.
bklynmike101

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2018, 02:15:51 PM »

Robb,

You defy the odds...... Grin
doctordoowop

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2018, 11:39:48 PM »

Correction--ironic  is incorrectly used instead of  coincidental  all the time.

Anything is possible  for  a guy --Robb-- who  knows  why  Amy  &  Mala  labels  are  poorly  made. Was  it Beltone too?
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2018, 11:19:44 PM »

Correction--ironic  is incorrectly used instead of  coincidental  all the time.

Anything is possible  for  a guy --Robb-- who  knows  why  Amy  &  Mala  labels  are  poorly  made. Was  it Beltone too?
No, Beltone was distributed by King Records, and pressed in their Cincinnati plant, which used vinyl.  Some were pressed in New York, but never on styrene.

doctordoowop

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2018, 11:50:05 AM »

Then what was  the 3rd  listed w/Amy & Mala?

Robb--u  agree  that  many  say  ironic instead of coincidence? --like  acronym instead of abbreviation.

The English language is  rapidly deteriorating IMO. Cry Cry Cry Cry
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2018, 06:25:54 PM »

Then what was  the 3rd  listed w/Amy & Mala?

Robb--u  agree  that  many  say  ironic instead of coincidence? --like  acronym instead of abbreviation.

The English language is  rapidly deteriorating IMO. Cry Cry Cry Cry

Bell Records.

doctordoowop

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2018, 11:24:34 PM »

I guess  I'm half  crazy Grin Grin Grin Grin-I  guessed  Beltone--close.

BTW--my daughter's  history  teacher  is named Corbett--distant  relative  of crazy  Boston  Corbett  who  shot & crippled  JW  Booth-who lived  after   6 hours  of

suffering-lying on the porch  of  the farmhouse while being  gleefully watched by   Union  soldiers. Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2018, 10:29:30 AM »

I guess  I'm half  crazy Grin Grin Grin Grin-I  guessed  Beltone--close.

BTW--my daughter's  history  teacher  is named Corbett--distant  relative  of crazy  Boston  Corbett  who  shot & crippled  JW  Booth-who lived  after   6 hours  of

suffering-lying on the porch  of  the farmhouse while being  gleefully watched by   Union  soldiers. Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
They're both probably distantly related to boxer, "Gentleman Jim" Corbett, who won the  heavyweight World championship of boxing from the great John L. Sullivan.

And I'm probably a distant cousin of Carole King (nee Klein).   Grin

doctordoowop

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2018, 11:24:56 PM »

Excellent--I'll  ask  her to check.

While on politics-- ONLY  pres to  later  go to  Congress?.

Only Pres  to go to Supreme  Court?
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2018, 11:29:34 PM »

Excellent--I'll  ask  her to check.

While on politics-- ONLY  pres to  later  go to  Congress?.

Only Pres  to go to Supreme  Court? - William Howard Taft?

doctordoowop

« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2018, 11:55:24 PM »

Taft--correct.  Who  went  to  Congress  as  Rep?
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2018, 01:41:44 AM »

No idea.  My only schooling in USA was 2 years of High School, and 4 in University.  If I'm a walking encyclopedia, I'm not even close to being complete.  My brain is a storage bin for some ad hoc collections of unrelated data, with SI damage from years of memory loss.  I'm sure the answer to your question has passed my ears and eyes a couple times.  But it didn't stick.

JoeC

« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2018, 09:05:48 AM »

Don't know who returned to be a Representative in the House, but Andrew Johnson was re-elected a Senator from Tennessee many years after the Congress tried to impeach him while he was President.
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2018, 10:27:08 AM »

Taft--correct.  Who  went  to  Congress  as  Rep?

Don't know who returned to be a Representative in the House, but Andrew Johnson was re-elected a Senator from Tennessee many years after the Congress tried to impeach him while he was President.
I do remember reading about a very early US president returning to The US House of Representatives.  Was it John Adams, or John Quincy Adams?  Or James Madison?
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 12:27:41 AM by Robb_K » Logged

doctordoowop

« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2018, 02:22:01 PM »

Good-John Q
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: