DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 14, 2018, 12:39:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
ATTENTION:
NO COMMERCIAL SITES OR LINKS TO COMMERCIAL SITES ALLOWED ON THIS FORUM. IF YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO SELL,
ie, CLOTHES, RECORDS, FURNTURE, ETC. DON'T DO IT HERE. THE URL WILL BE DELETED...  Mike Paladino
79014 Posts in 7095 Topics by 95 Members
Latest Member: doctordoowop
* Home Help Login Register
+  DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
|-+  OT - OFF TOPIC TOPICS :-)
| |-+  Off Topic Stuff
| | |-+  Denis (Silent 's')
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Denis (Silent 's')  (Read 105 times)
JoeC

« on: October 21, 2018, 08:34:00 AM »

Didn't post on Dominick Safuto thread because it's not doowop or an oldie as we think of oldies. What we have here is a live (you can tell because she sings part of the song in French) performance by Debbie Harry & Blondie on a Dutch TV show in 1977.

Wonder what Dominick thought? Not many Doowop remakes out there. Here's one (not autotuned; love how she can chew gum and sing):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyWQ9oaaJxM
« Last Edit: October 21, 2018, 08:36:03 AM by JoeC » Logged
DJ Big Jack
Administrator

BOO !

« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2018, 10:33:15 PM »

The Belmonts did at least remakes of at least three of their songs in Dutch.  You'd be surprized at how many performers did their songs in other languages.

"Mein Girl" , anyone?

JoeC

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2018, 08:18:11 AM »

The Belmonts did at least remakes of at least three of their songs in Dutch.  You'd be surprized at how many performers did their songs in other languages.

"Mein Girl" , anyone?

Interesting, Jack. As I said, she only sings half the song in French and I don't speak it so have no idea how well she does with it. This remake, in English, was a big hit in Europe in the latter 70s. As big as "Heart of Glass" for those familiar with that Blondie song.
doctordoowop

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2018, 12:38:52 PM »

But I Need Someone  did NOT  have Carlo  on lead--not even a Belmont-even tho Carlo wrote it.

What were other 2 in Dutch?
DJ Big Jack
Administrator

BOO !

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2018, 02:01:42 PM »

In addition to "I need Someone" (Ik hou van Jou), they did "Walk On By" and "Look Out For Sandy".

Wanda Jackson did "Morgen ja morgen" and also "Ik hou van jou" but that one is a very slow ballad and a completely different tune than the one by the Belmonts.

Also, Connie Francis did "Jij bent niet van Mij"

By the way, whenever I have someone at my show from another country, I try to do at least one song for them in their language.  I had a German man at my show last night and I played a song for him called "Gruppensex im Altersheim" (Group Sex in the Old Folks Home) ...he couldn't believe it.

Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2018, 06:41:04 PM »

The Belmonts did at least remakes of at least three of their songs in Dutch.  You'd be surprised at how many performers did their songs in other languages.

"Mein Girl" , anyone?
"Mein isn't Dutch.  It is German.  "My Girl"  would be "Mijne Meisje" or "Mijne Vriendin".  Or were you referring to The Temptations singing "My Girl" in German?  The Supremes, Four Tops, Martha and The Vandellas, Marvelettes and other Motown groups sang their hits (mostly phonetically) in Spanish, French and German, and sometimes, Italian.  The Velvelettes sang many of their songs in French.  But that was no surprise, as their lead singer, Cal Gill spoke French fluently.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 07:03:20 PM by Robb_K » Logged

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: