DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 14, 2018, 12:08:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
ATTENTION:
NO COMMERCIAL SITES OR LINKS TO COMMERCIAL SITES ALLOWED ON THIS FORUM. IF YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO SELL,
ie, CLOTHES, RECORDS, FURNTURE, ETC. DON'T DO IT HERE. THE URL WILL BE DELETED...  Mike Paladino
79014 Posts in 7095 Topics by 95 Members
Latest Member: doctordoowop
* Home Help Login Register
+  DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
|-+  OT - OFF TOPIC TOPICS :-)
| |-+  Off Topic Stuff
| | |-+  SUPERSTAR
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: SUPERSTAR  (Read 130 times)
doctordoowop

« on: November 09, 2018, 01:37:45 AM »

Probably  no one here  but Robb will  know  this tidbit.  Reading the  new  book about Babe Ruth  I learned  that "superstar"  was  coined by  2 hockey  big shots  to       describe   which  iceman?

Babe  Ruth is  the only hint  now.    Grin Grin Grin
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2018, 02:10:32 AM »

Probably  no one here  but Robb will  know  this tidbit.  Reading the  new  book about Babe Ruth  I learned  that "superstar"  was  coined by  2 hockey  big shots  to       describe   which  iceman?

Babe  Ruth is  the only hint  now.    Grin Grin Grin
Frank and Lester Patrick to describe "Cyclone" Taylor.

JoeC

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2018, 09:19:08 AM »

You're right, Doc, only Robb would've known that.

Even though I only live 20 minutes away, I'm embarrassed to say I''ve yet to visit (in 30+ years) the Babe Ruth Museum near Camden Yards in B'more. Reading a review for the book, I definitely have that on my "to do" list now.

When I was working, I used to often pass the site of the old St. Mary's Industrial school, where Babe was in residence from age 7 until he signed with the AAA Baltimore Orioles as a teenager. A Catholic HS had been erected on the site which still incorporated the main building of the old school. It's all razed now.

Many stories about why Babe's parent's sent him to St. Mary's. They were poor, and his mother was an alcoholic. Most plausible story is the parents just couldn't be bothered to raise him in the bar they owned (they lived a floor above it). Babe, as a kid, was high-spirited but not in trouble with the authorities and I don't think he met the definition of being incorrigible. They just gave him up to the care of the Brothers.
doctordoowop

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2018, 02:05:16 PM »

Robb-a walking hard  drive Grin Grin Grin Grin.    Mostly Babe  was  a truant--  Big  Fella--great so  far--he desreved all the $$  he got from the 1st athlete with an agent.

1921  was ridiculous--he hit  59 Hrs--no other team  had more than 44  as I  recall.That like averaging  115  points/in NBA!
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2018, 02:43:17 PM »

Robb-a walking hard  drive Grin Grin Grin Grin.    Mostly Babe  was  a truant--  Big  Fella--great so  far--he desreved all the $$  he got from the 1st athlete with an agent.

1921  was ridiculous--he hit  59 Hrs--no other team  had more than 44  as I  recall.That like averaging  115  points/in NBA!
Ruth was also a decent outfielder, and a great hitter for batting average, too.  He truly was one of the very best all-around players, being a top-notch pitcher, too.  Too many baseball fans don't realise that he was one of the best players ever, even by today's standards, with the average player being a much better athlete than those of the distant past.

JoeC

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2018, 05:47:02 PM »

Robb-a walking hard  drive Grin Grin Grin Grin.    Mostly Babe  was  a truant--  Big  Fella--great so  far--he desreved all the $$  he got from the 1st athlete with an agent.

1921  was ridiculous--he hit  59 Hrs--no other team  had more than 44  as I  recall.That like averaging  115  points/in NBA!

Doc, When you mentioned Ruth being a truant, that rang a bell. He was only in the first or second grade. In those days, most of the kids in the poor area he was from in Baltimore were truants and most quit school very early in their lives.

Babe being taken to St. Mary's at age 7 was solely on his father. It is an open question though as to whether his dad did this because (1) he honestly thought the discipline of the Catholic brothers could only help prepare Babe for life as an adult better than he could; or (2) he just didn't want the headache of raising Babe.  

I lean toward (2) because my understanding is the father rarely if ever visited him at the "school," even though it wasn't that far away.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 09:20:13 AM by JoeC » Logged
doctordoowop

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2018, 01:15:24 AM »

Agree  completely  Joe.  He loved kids  [prob b/c  of    bad treatment from his father}&  they adored him.  Love to  see  the pix  of  Babe surrounded  by  hundreds  of adoring kids.  Loved his response  when   asked  why he  was  making more $$  than  Pres  Hoover--"I  had a better year ."

Robb--my father  laughed  at Babe  for ending the  1926  WS I believe--caught  stealing in 9th inning.   It was the 1st  walk  off  caught  stealing.   Grin Pop  used  to  watch Babe  in the pre  Shibe Park Baker Bowl.

He  raved about  Speaker , Simmons, Foxx,  Grove  etc.  He refused  to  concede   that Willie  was  a better CF  than Joe D.
JoeC

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2018, 09:29:01 AM »

Doc, that's a funny anecdote about Hoover!

Babe did many things right, even though he had little or no personal discipline. He made a ton of money off the field in various promotions and he had both a smart agent for that and even smarter money manager. Unlike most wealthy people of the pre-Crash 20s, Babe sailed through the Depression actually adding to his wealth. That's something for a supposedly uneducated bumpkin. I say it was part luck and partly him being a good judge of people's character.
doctordoowop

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2018, 01:09:05 PM »

Agree Joe--   he desrved allthe $$  he got.
bklynmike101

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2018, 02:08:28 PM »

My uncle, a high school principal, was so taken with Babe that he played hookie (hookey?) to attend Babe's funeral in '48. 
JoeC

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2018, 05:47:35 PM »

My closest connection to Babe (other than my living in Maryland for the last 50 years) goes back to when I was a young teenager living in Tappan, NY (in Rockland County, on the Bergen County line -- 19 miles from Times Square and 7 miles south of the Tappan Zee bridge). Our next door neighbors were a family named Fein.

I was friends with the son (about my age) whose father was Nat Fein. Turns out he won the Pulitzer Prize (first given for sports photography) eight years before I met the Fein's.  Nat worked as a general assignment photographer for the NY Herald Tribune.

The pic that won the Pulitzer for him was his famous shot taken of Babe standing near home plate on Babe Ruth Day in 1948. Unlike all the other photographers, Nat took his pic from behind Babe so he caught the poignant pose of Babe, steadying himself on a bat, head bowed a little, cap in hand.

Here's the poor quality pic and Babe's speech:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UcISFher0U
« Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 05:49:50 PM by JoeC » Logged
bklynmike101

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2018, 01:29:39 AM »

That's pretty cool.
JoeC

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2018, 09:51:56 AM »

That's pretty cool.

I was too young to appreciate it at the time. I'm sure Nat would've given me a signed print back in 1956 if I'd asked for one. Now, his estate is selling them for a pretty hefty price.
doctordoowop

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2018, 04:00:01 PM »

I have a photo of  Babe  standing next to Yogi.  So  must be 47/48.  Know its rare if i have never seen another. Autographed by Berra.

If Babe was alive in the  ESPN,social media  days   would have been fantastic quotes.   Also imagine him instead of Smoltz or Darling a scolor man. But would have intimidated all the announcers.. Grin
JoeC

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2018, 05:29:41 PM »

I have a photo of  Babe  standing next to Yogi.  So  must be 47/48.  Know its rare if i have never seen another. Autographed by Berra.

If Babe was alive in the  ESPN,social media  days   would have been fantastic quotes.   Also imagine him instead of Smoltz or Darling a scolor man. But would have intimidated all the announcers.. Grin

I was shocked to see how much old photos sell for. Probably shouldn't have been, seeing what paintings fetch! Sounds like you have a valuable pic there, Doc.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: